• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo Pocket Color Appreciation Thread: Way Ahead of the Game (Boy)

Geengrenzuh

Neo Member
Took me some time to get the hang of the game mechanics but I'm completely hooked on card fighters clash now! That and KoF are getting a lot of playtime atm.

Still gotta find me a decently priced copy of snk vs cap.

Leonsito

My current collection, Metal Slug 1 is on its way, I have a few duplicated:

IMG_20140318_210342.jpg

Screen is flawless, flash ruined the pic:

IMG_20140317_235931.jpg

Leonsito

Cool, that's the slim model.

Did you get it recently, and if so where?

Yeah, it's the slim model, I was looking only for them, they are a bit nicer imo, got it from a spanish guy in ebay, a bit pricey (80€) but came with 6 games and is in perfect condition with box, manuals, etc...

Ramune

Well I feel very silly now. Thought my NGPC died on me after years of neglect, but as it turns out, I had to REALLY push in the power button to turn it on. After listening to the Back in my Play episode, I really missed you old friend. I did notice that when I have the cart inserted all the way in, it'll go to the menu screen instead of starting up the game. Having it in slightly seems to work, but it is a bit weird. Anyone else experience this?

Celine

Well I feel very silly now. Thought my NGPC died on me after years of neglect, but as it turns out, I had to REALLY push in the power button to turn it on. After listening to the Back in my Play episode, I really missed you old friend. I did notice that when I have the cart inserted all the way in, it'll go to the menu screen instead of starting up the game. Having it in slightly seems to work, but it is a bit weird. Anyone else experience this?
It happened to me too but with the Swan Crystal.

Het_Nkik

A few more CIB pick-ups. Pac-Man is sealed. I think it was overproduced; I see an auction for a lot 36 sealed copies of the game :p

Also, I've been throwing the cardboard box games in Game Boy box protectors. They don't fit right, but it's better than nothing.

And finally! A lot of CIB games rarely pop up on eBay or only have one or two active listings. Is there any other place I can buy games? Maybe a message board with a buy/sell/trade section? Any help on where I can buy games other than eBay would be appreciated. Thanks!

Teknoman

I few more CIB pick-ups. Pac-Man is sealed. I think it was overproduced; I see an auction for a lot 36 sealed copies of the game :p

Also, I've been throwing the cardboard box games in Game Boy box protectors. They don't fit right, but it's better than nothing.

And finally! A lot of CIB games rarely pop up on eBay or only have one or two active listings. Is there any other place I can buy games? Maybe a message board with a buy/sell/trade section? Any help on where I can buy games other than eBay would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://backinmyplay.com/episode-20-neo-geo-pocket-color/

Give that a listen for some places to check out.

Het_Nkik

http://backinmyplay.com/episode-20-neo-geo-pocket-color/

Give that a listen for some places to check out.

I'll try to remember when I have the time.

Yeah, Neostore actually sells them for $20 new/sealed
http://www.neostore.com/Pac-Man-English-Neo-Geo-Pocket-Color-NGPC-p/331.htm

Does this comes with the 4-way restrictor gate accessory?

First of all, thanks for that link! They have really damn good prices on sealed Japanese games. Bought a few.

I don't plan on opening my Pac-Man since I already have a loose cartridge, but I see an open complete copy on eBay, and yeah, it comes with two of the 4-way gates.

sniperpon

I still have my NGPC! Got it around when they came out, total whim purchase. Sonic Pocket Adventure was my most anticipated game that Christmas across all platforms.

I was dusting my handheld collection shelves yesterday and had to stop to play Samurai Showdown and Metal Slug 2 for a good half hour... NGPC is still one of my favorite game systems ever...

Cross posting from the Show Off Your Gaming Collection thread:
here are the three versions of the Neo Geo Pocket (original, Color and Color mk. II) along with the rare and bizarre Koei Pasago, a Japanese-only handheld (all the carts available for it are takes on the game GO).

wDMXbZ8.jpg

shelf nine is a couple PSP1000s (one NiB) and a Sony PocketStation, along with six Wonderswans (original, Wonderswan Color and a Swan Crystal, each on display with a NiB version behind it)

yroompJ.jpg

Mikhal

Is that the one that went for $255 on ebay the other day? If so... the seller sent that in an envelope?! *shakes head*

Het_Nkik

Is that the one that went for $255 on ebay the other day? If so... the seller sent that in an envelope?! *shakes head*

I was nearly fucking livid. It was wrapped in thick bubble wrap inside the envelope, but Jesus Christ. Luckily it came through undamaged but seriously. I feel like I need to have a talk with that seller.

EDIT: I really didn't want to pay that much, btw. I just put it in a high max bid because I fucking wanted the game. I didn't actually think it was going to go that high. I don't even know how much the game is worth since there aren't any other boxed US versions under eBay's sold items list.

ANOTHER EDIT: I had a dream the night before and in the dream I put in a very specific max bid amount. So that's the amount I went with irl.

Artorias

Banned
Holy shit, Gals Fighters boxed is worth that much? I should probably sell that and buy Cotton...I want that so bad.

There is some residue on my box though that I've been to scared to try to remove. I'm sure it would knock a big chunk off the price.

Mikhal

EDIT: I really didn't want to pay that much, btw. I just put it in a high max bid because I fucking wanted the game. I didn't actually think it was going to go that high. I don't even know how much the game is worth since there aren't any other boxed US versions under eBay's sold items list.

I think people are going to look at what you paid and think that's how much the game is worth now!

Anyone know where to get a replacement battery cover for the NGPC? I saw this on YAJ the other day and had to bid for it.
http://page16.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u64972099

Mzo

Jesus fucking Christ.

It's worth like $60 if people are fighting it out in auctions. MAYBE.

That is just stupid.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Het_Nkik

Jesus fucking Christ.

It's worth like $60 if people are fighting it out in auctions. MAYBE.

That is just stupid.

This is why we can't have nice things.

lolol, I agree I overpaid like a chump (who was stupid enough to put in a max bid as high as me!?), but there's no way it's only worth $60. I see UK copies that sold for ~$150. I haven't seen any NA CIBs aside from the one I bought and only a few people in this thread seem to have the game complete.

I'll keep my eye on eBay and see how many go on sale throughout the year. As far as I can tell this was the first and it's already April.

Clean your game's contacts. Should fix that problem.

Het_Nkik

Bought a copy of Ganbare Neo-Poke Kun off Yahoo Auctions. I really wanted it once I found out it's where this guy is from
D0w0FCn.gif

Does anyone know the best way to translate the kanji at the end? The "(仮)" bit? Google Translate says "provisional" but also offers up stuff like "temporary" as alternatives.

Also, update on SNK Gals Fighters Gate.

Since the auction in which I paid $255 for a copy, two more complete US copies have shown up.

The first was a Buy It Now for $239.99. Nobody bought it and I was starting to feel like I was really dumb.

Then an auction popped up with a starting bid of $20. It sold for $300.

So either I single-handedly fucked up the entire market for this game or maybe it's actually pretty rare I don't know.

Bought a copy of Ganbare Neo-Poke Kun off Yahoo Auctions. I really wanted it once I found out it's where this guy is from
D0w0FCn.gif

Does anyone know the best way to translate the kanji at the end? The "(仮)" bit? Google Translate says "provisional" but also offers up stuff like "temporary" as alternatives.

Since the auction in which I paid $255 for a copy, two more complete US copies have shown up.

The first was a Buy It Now for $239.99. Nobody bought it and I was starting to feel like I was really dumb.

So either I single-handedly fucked up the entire market for this game or maybe it's actually pretty rare I don't know.

I just got Gal Fighters from a fellow Gaffer too lol (not cib of course)

Mzo

I'd been following it for a while throughout the last year of our lord Luigi 2013. The few auctions that came along were all sub-$100, ranging around $60 like I mentioned, up from around $40 in 2012. You can still see some of those auctions over at pricecharting, and yes, they are for US CIB copies.

I kept tweeting and posting that all I wanted for Christmas was Gals Fighter last year. My local guy came through and bought a CIB copy in a lot back in January. Sold it to me at cost for $15. It was very nice of him.

Het_Nkik

So I'm playing Samurai Spirits! right now, which was an OG NGP non-color game, but it seems to have a full color palette going on in the game. Is the color palette built into the NGPC itself like Nintendo did with some Game Boy games when played on the Game Boy Color?

EDIT: Also, watching little Ukyo cough from tuberculosis is adorable.

mao2

D0w0FCn.gif

仮 = tentative.

Het_Nkik

仮 = tentative.

That's... a really fucking funny joke, then. So when the game's first being shown, you think the title is tentative since it says (tentative) in the title. But nope, that's actually part of the game's name. Pretty damned genius.

So I'm playing Samurai Spirits! right now, which was an OG NGP non-color game, but it seems to have a full color palette going on in the game. Is the color palette built into the NGPC itself like Nintendo did with some Game Boy games when played on the Game Boy Color?
Yeah, I've been playing this game, and I wonder this as well. Are the other B&W games in limited color also? The B&W games released before the NGPC was available, so either the colors are built in to the system, or they were programmed to take advantage of the NGPC somewhat even though the NGPC wasn't out yet... very interesting either way!

But, the game IS using not as many colors as the normal NGPC games. The sprites are the same, but backgrounds use only three colors, while NGPC games would use many colors in the backgrounds -- this looks more like a GBC running an original Game Boy game, or something, with limited colorization. It's more complex than that, as each character has a dedicated color and the menus are a different color from the stages (which each have their own set colors), but the effect is somewhat like some cross of the GBC/GBA playing GB games and Super Game Boy colorization. But is it in the game, or the system?

Het_Nkik

Yeah, I shouldn't have said a full palette, I meant it had the right colors for all the characters and colorized backgrounds, but you're right, it's nowhere near as much color as NGPC games.

Only other NGP-non-C game I have is King of Fighters R-1 which I haven't gotten around to yet. I'll pop it in tomorrow and see if it gets colorized as well. But right now I'm off to bed.

Mzo

From what I remember R-1 has horrible animation and plays kind of like shit. It wasn't worth going back to the original Pocket games.

Het_Nkik

From what I remember R-1 has horrible animation and plays kind of like shit. It wasn't worth going back to the original Pocket games.

But Samurai Shodown! is so fun! I like the two button presses for special stuff set up more than the cramming too much shit onto the B button that's going on in the second game.

Top Bottom