• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo Pocket Color Appreciation Thread: Way Ahead of the Game (Boy)

So does the Japanese version of SvC Match of the Millennium have full english in the cart? Theres a bit of a price difference on eBay but I'm keen to check it out.

I just wanted to add to this. I've had mine now for about 2 weeks and I've been using it a lot. The 3D printed shell is really nice and very well done. While load times can be long I've never experienced any that were even half as long as Bob's video shows. I don't know if he's just got an older really slow micro SD (which would make sense, you don't need a lot of space for it so using an older 512mb or such card would probably be enough) or maybe something is up with his cart. I do get the sub battery bug though. Every time I boot the system with the flash cart, and any games I get the warning about the sub batter being dead. Even though it has a new battery in there, and doesn't do that with regular games. Outside of the battery bug I haven't had any issues with mine. Shipping was crazy quick too, one of the fastest for receiving something from the UK.

If I had to complain about anything, its that the micro sd slot is just one of the slide in ones, and it doesn't click and lock into place like most other micro SD slots. I mean that's super super minor though.

DD_zjmeXgAAECva.jpg

Just a quick update on the sub battery thing. I had thought my sub battery would work ok with out the battery cover in place (since my was obscenely tight and always impossible to take off). Turns out I was wrong. My friend just 3D printed me a battery cover that was just ever so slightly smaller so it didn't sit so impossibly tight, and now I don't get those sub battery messages. I did not realize the battery cover applied that much pressure.

flak57

Thanks guys.

Ended up grabbing pacman today in my wanders. Playing this with that clicky stick is a joy.

Also played through some dark arms and am starting to enjoy what the game is offering. Music kinda reminds me of Chrystalis back on the NES, so good!

I played through Dark Arms myself recently. Had a lot of fun and most weapons were legitimately different gameplay wise so it was fun to strategize which ones to take along.

Unfortunately only the bonus dungeon at the end really felt like the game was reaching its potential, and then it was over.

Edit: Oh, being able to "capture" the bosses was cool, the last one was intense. Completed the little broken english pokedex thing -

Czar7Ts.jpg

lol.

Skunkers

Just got a neogeo pocket with nine games on ebay for about $200. It even included an English language version of Faselei! Love this thing. Really bummed it didn't get more support. It's a peerless retro experience. The only games I don't have that I'm looking to play are Dark Arms, Sonic and Metal Slug 2nd mission. I've got match of the millennium, samurai showdown 2 and king of fighters r2. For me to want to plunk down the cash for The Last Blade someone is going to really have to convince me it's heads and tails above the other fighters I have.

The Last Blade is easily in the top two or three games on the system imo, along with MOTM and maybe Gals Fighters. Especially if you're already a fan of the series. At first it looks and plays like a great port of Last Blade 1, but as you play and unlock stuff it basically becomes a port of both Last Blade 1 and 2. One of the prettiest and best playing games on the system easily. This and MOTM are a couple of my favorite fighting games ever, and the top reasons to own an NGPC.

Powwa

Well today I got my first NGPC in a good condition from Ebay with a case around 45 EUR. I also got WonderSwan Color a couple days ago with a few games so I'm excited to try out both.

I haven't read all the posts and couldn't find a guide on the internet but are there any Japan exclusive games that you can play without the knowledge of Japanese for Neo Geo Pocket?

If you don't want games with cases

http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/Misc_htm/ngsoft.htm

I buy stuff here occasionally and their website sucks but they're legit.

Is this website legit? It looks quite shady from the looks of it. I'd like to order a few games since the prices seem solid.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Is this website legit? It looks quite shady from the looks of it. I'd like to order a few games since the prices seem solid.

They've been around for ages. They just look shady because they haven't updated their webpage style in like 15 years.

Top Bottom