• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo Pocket Color Appreciation Thread: Way Ahead of the Game (Boy)

I remember seeing some kind of front light mod for the NGP; anyone have one of those?

One of the reasons I stopped playing on old handhelds like the Game Boy and the NGP is that once you get used to a backlit screen, going back to one without any sort of light is really hard, especially indoors.

Leonsito

Starting my NGPC collection:

1185938_10202309230706734_2141341819_n.jpg

Dougald

Is Turf Masters good for even those not super into golf? I know I really enjoyed Mario Golf on the GBA because of the RPG mode, but I'm not seeing anything like that for Turf Masters.

I hate golf, but Turf Masters is god tier gaming!

If you want anything more in-depth than an arcade mode for your games, SNK is probably not the company for you though

Flavor

Neo Member
I remember seeing some kind of front light mod for the NGP; anyone have one of those?

One of the reasons I stopped playing on old handhelds like the Game Boy and the NGP is that once you get used to a backlit screen, going back to one without any sort of light is really hard, especially indoors.

There is a DIY frontlight mod that steals the light from a GBA SP.

Personally, I was able to find some frontlight material that I think will be suitable for installing in the NGPC. I have one that I'm going to mod (anyday now) to see how well it works. I might sell some pre-modded NGPCs like this if it goes as well as I expect.

When I get it done, I'll definitely post about it at
http://www.flashmasta.com

Alchemy

I hate golf, but Turf Masters is god tier gaming!

If you want anything more in-depth than an arcade mode for your games, SNK is probably not the company for you though

Arcade mode is great for some games, just for sports titles usually I get bored of playing them without some sort of RPG/Career mode.

Alchemy

Got the 10 Neo Geo games from the link in the OP, have plenty of games to play now. Only thing I'm still keeping an eye out for is BioMotor Unitron. $30 is the best price I found on Amazon for the english version, but I'm keeping an eye out for some eBay auctions to see if I can grab it cheaper. Then I might cool off on buying games until I finish the one I have now.

Alchemy

How common is it for eBay sellers to pad their bid prices? Was tracking a game, and just saw the same user bid multiple times to raise the price of a game double what it was listed at before.

Thinking I'm stuck buying the game on Amazon.

Alchemy

Sadly there are many scumbag out there.

The advice when bidding on ebay is to never bid a huge sum from the start and if you can place the bid at the final seconds.

This is pretty much what I was trying to do, stick some auctions on my watch list and just keep an eye on them until the final few moments. Which is why I found it so odd when the price of the auction jumped to double what it was despite there still being over a day left.

Got the rest of my games in the mail. <3 Puzzle Bobble Pocket. It's weird how Delsol is the only game so far that has a 'resume' state (unless the copy is haunted).

Such a great little system. I would play my NGPC so much more if I had a light for it, but I haven't been able to find one for a decent price.

I used to take this to class when going to university (like a true nerd). Had a drink in my bag which leaked and made a nice pool for the system to swim in. I was crushed... This was after they discontinued it and thought I'd lost it for good. After it completely dried out, it somehow came back on and the game still worked! Super sticky from all the sugar though. Damn you Fruitopia!

I used to take this to class when going to university (like a true nerd). Had a drink in my bag which leaked and made a nice pool for the system to swim in. I was crushed... This was after they discontinued it and thought I'd lost it for good. After it completely dried out, it somehow came back on and the game still worked! Super sticky from all the sugar though. Damn you Fruitopia!

wow, I'm surprised it worked again. what a resilient machine.

Dougald

Just received my MVS copy of turf masters today too, love it

Now I really need to get the cabinet together, playing on a jumbled mess of wires is just no good

Alchemy

Just got Sonic Pocket Adventures and Metal Slug First Mission in the mail. Now the only thing I feel like I'm missing is BioMotor Unitron. Going to see if I can get lucky on eBay with a cheaper version, and pick up the second in Japanese as an excuse to keep teaching myself the language.

Slermy

I think my unit is stuck in customs or something. Last update was from a week ago and it hasn't moved since entering the states.

Flavor

Neo Member
Such a great little system. I would play my NGPC so much more if I had a light for it, but I haven't been able to find one for a decent price.

Over the weekend, I modded one of my NGPCs with a light. It was a pretty annoying process, to be honest, but it works now. I will do some more of these sometime soon, and I expect them to be easier now that I know a bit more about what I'm doing.

Here's a comparison between the frontlight modded Neo Geo Pocket Color (top) and a stock one (bottom). Also, there's a bit more info (including a video) here:
http://www.flashmasta.com/2014/03/06/neo-geo-pocket-color-light-install-frontlight-mod/

IMG_4701-225x300.jpg

Het_Nkik

So I've had some NGPC games for a long time, but they were all loose cartridges. I have a HUGE video game collection, and literally every single one of my other games on the other systems is boxed, so it was bugging me that only my NGPC games were loose.

Well no more!

OQeJpea.jpg

Just got these in the mail today. Which don't replace all of the games I own loose. I also have Samurai Shodown! 2, Pac-Man, and Neo Turf Masters loose. But I'm not sure I care enough about Pac-Man and NGPC Golf to buy them boxed.

Also I never had Card Fighters Clash and Puyo Pop (well, this verson) so those are new to me.

Oh yeah, Fatal Fury and Metal Slug are still sealed so I think I'll keep my loose copies of those to play and keep the others sealed.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Puyo Pop must've been the priciest one to get.

Also, the European plastic cases are much more interesting to have than the cardboard ones.

Het_Nkik

Yep, Puyo was easily the most expensive as it went for a little over $60 while all the others were around $30 and (in some cases a lot) less.

I always buy games for the same region I'm in unless it's not available in my region. Just the way I roll.

Het_Nkik

So I'm looking into some more games to get and...

Is a boxed NA copy of Gals Fighters really rare? I don't see any on eBay...

Or is it like The Last Blade which, as far as I can tell, never got a boxed released in NA and was only sold in those blister packs.

EDIT: Oh wait, I see it in ONE person's collection in this thread. Dammit. Why can't I find myself a boxed copy!

Mzo

So I'm looking into some more games to get and...

Is a boxed NA copy of Gals Fighters really rare? I don't see any on eBay...

Or is it like The Last Blade which, as far as I can tell, never got a boxed released in NA and was only sold in those blister packs.

EDIT: Oh wait, I see it in ONE person's collection in this thread. Dammit. Why can't I find myself a boxed copy!

kek

It's gotten pretty hard to find these days.

Last Blade and Faselei never had cases, those were the two blister pack only games.

Top Bottom