• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin, TX Police Apprehend and Arrest Young Female Jogger for Jaywalking (w\ Video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
KTBC Fox 7 in Austin, TX is reporting that Austin police physically apprehended and arrested a young-looking female who was jogging near the University of Texas at Austin campus. A male photographer named Chris Quintero captured the arrest on video and sent it in to myFOXaustin 7.

Quintero told the news station police officers yelled at the jogger (whose name and age are currently unknown) that she was jaywalking. The jogger was wearing earbuds and was unable to hear the command of the officers. The officers then chased her down and physically apprehended her to the ground. Both officers handcuffed her and arrested her for jaywalking and failing to identify herself to police.

WLSoULq.jpg

PFdSBnK.jpg

bNMeuq9.jpg

iefRSyx.jpg

u9WF209.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6ugqW7fFmk

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/24782348/woman-arrested-after-allegedly-jaywalking

Lol thats in west campus too right by the Castillian. I jay walked daily in that area when I lived there and commuted to class. F the police!

Fucking disgusting. Bored police officers need a better way to occupy their time other than terrorizing clearly innocent citizens. What the fuck is wrong with them.

Mr.Mike

Waste of resources, etc. Jaywalking is no reason to take someone to jail.

She wasn't arrested for jaywalking, she was arrested for how she reacted. Obviously pulling her to the ground is extreme, but the police couldn't have known whether or not she had actually heard them yelling for her. Neither side is entirely innocent here.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
According to the article they yelled at her to get her attention and she didn't respond because she was wearing earbuds, hence the batshit insanity.

She also pulled away from them(understandable) and refused to identify herself. I think her getting arrested is ridiculous, but this is another one of those stupid ass click-bait headlines. She didn't get arrested for jaywalking.

malfcn

Jaywalking should be enforced. Too many people think it's okay to walk into traffic when there is a perfectly good cross walk a few more feet away. I often see people get caught in the middle of a road where they started to walk and get trapped in traffic and create a dangerous situation.

Not jail time.

She wasn't arrested for jaywalking, she was arrested for how she reacted. Obviously pulling her to the ground is extreme, but the police couldn't have known whether or not she had actually heard them yelling for her. Neither side is entirely innocent here.

So because she crossed the street while listening to her music she deserved to get put to the ground and arrested? Are you serious? There is always some person that defends this disgusting behavior.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Important police work right there; the streets are certainly safer today.

...I fucking hate cops that harass citizens like this.

Edit:
She should have been arrested for wearing toe shoes.

Whoops, I totally missed that. Good call, those things are awful.

gatti-man

If you break the law with no ID you go to jail. Pretty simple concept. My buddy got thrown in jail for peeing on a fence. Cop wanted to just ticket him but he had no ID.

There are so many reasonable scenarios for why she didn't immediately react to them ie: Hearing loss, headphones, thought they where talking to someone else. The idea that neither party is entirely innocent is not a very good excuse, most wronged parties are not entirely innocent. We all do some things wrong, that doesn't excuse police abuse. The police are trained professionals who should be able to handle these situations with tact.

Oh, god. You're serious, aren't you.

No one gets ticketed for jaywalking in Austin, even us black folk don't even get arrested for it, so this is going to get thrown out real fast. But the police would probably charge her with resisting arrest, which is a class b misdemeanor. She'd get out on personal recognizance bond. If she gets a good lawyer or the judge has common sense, the entire case will be dismissed.

Riggs

Banned
That'll teach her. Dumb Fucking cops wasting her time, tax payers money, and wasting their own time as police officers. Fire both these dumb fucks and let real cops work.

Malreyn

She wasn't arrested for jaywalking, she was arrested for how she reacted.

The only impression I got was that she didn't respond to them because she didn't hear them, being unable to hear due to earphones? Is that such a crime to be arrested for?

This is literally less than a block away from campus. I'm actually kind of shocked that this happened around the UT area. The cops around here are firm, but usually fair and reliable.

She looks positively terrified in those pictures, and rightly so. =/

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
That'll teach her. Dumb Fucking cops wasting her time, tax payers money, and wasting their own time as police officers. Fire both these dumb fucks and let real cops work.

Dude, they didn't even murder anybody. I see a raise in their future.

If you break the law with no ID you go to jail. Pretty simple concept. My buddy got thrown in jail for peeing on a fence. Cop wanted to just ticket him but he had no ID.

I believe this is not true in Texas, you are only required to tell them your information, you do not need ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom