• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD is at it again: Mom Arrested After Asking Police to Talk to Young Son

Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes them worse, as they are technically, and realistically, the only people with the power to do anything about their image, and police abuse. While we citizens can strive for change through political means, they are watching it happen and not lifting a finger.

So yes I agree, abusive cop is 100% bad, and they are 90% bad for doing nothing. I think that's fair. What % would you attribute..?

edit 95%?

I have to go with this. I mean if the officer could harangue and arrest this woman unquestioned what would it have taken for them to actually step in? The officer assaulting the woman or worse yet shooting her? It shouldn't even have to get to that point. These guys are supposed to be the best of the best yet three didn't have it in them to cool off their out of line brother as he terrorized a woman in front of her kids.

minx

This doesn't sound like the entire story, especially considering it's only reporting from 1 source and just her lawyer. Plus the lady has a history of brutal assault, stabbing her boyfriend over and over?

Guys this is a lawsuit. Though I can't imagine a scenario that would make arresting the mother make sense, you have to take a lot of what is said with a grain of salt. In lawsuits there is a lot of pressure to make things seem worse than they were. I'm obviously not saying she's lying about the core of what happened, just don't take her every word as gospel. Really hope the thread keeps updated though. I can't wait to hear the officers' side of it.

I would be surprised if this entire story is fabricated but I'm not holding any judgement without more info than just her side of the story. Surely they would have witnesses if this was at a gas station. Also you can sue someone for anything you want, doesn't mean it will actually result in anything. There have been cases where a criminal shoots at cops and the police shoot back, killing him and the family sues the cops.

NastyBook

Wow, that had literally no business going down like that. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if that has the exact opposite effect on him once he's older.

You had one job, NYPD.

I understand why any of the cops would be annoyed with the mom, but roughing her up and arresting her in addition to having her kids taken away is going waaaaay to far.

I've never been to New York, but you'd think that such a large number of people spanning so many ethnicities, living in such close proximity, would learn to live and let live out of necessity.

Do "good" officers simply not last a long time on the force? Are they shunned by the majority for trying to speak up? I refuse to believe a good portion of them are like this, but, why do the others not report these fuckers? This needs to change, this all needs to fucking change.

I collaborated with a long-time cop who worked in one of Los Angeles' most corrupt divisions. He tried to make arrests and solve crimes when the true nature of their work was to surveil and blackmail. They eventually tried to have him killed.

Oaktree

Banned
I can't understand how this could be right in the head of any human being.

Why are some police forgetting that they serve the public?

Permanently A

They also seemed pretty happy to stand around and do nothing while their colleague was abusing her.

The female cop at least tried to do something. Doesn't excuse the other two though.

Let's hope she speaks truthfully in the course of the proceedings.

If she does she'll forever be an outcast in the department. It'll fuck up her career immensely. Not many people can swallow that pill.

Getting 3 more New Yorkers to distrust the NYPD.

NYPD is doing quite well. I wouldn't expect them to trust the police anymore if they need issues resolved unless in a case of life and death

xenist

I agree that they should have stepped in, but "not fighting the bad ones makes you a bad one" is a pretty dangerous line of thinking that's often been used to harass various groups, from feminists to Muslims to gay people.

Not acting against the bad things you see makes you bad. The end.

Volimar

If she does she'll forever be an outcast in the department. It'll fuck up her career immensely. Not many people can swallow that pill.

True. Especially considering this is a civil proceeding, she might be hesitant to endanger her career if she sees the only consequence for police being a payout.

Rembrandt

Banned
I'm not going down any "route". Jesus.

Has it really come to the point where if I think generalizing is dumb that it makes me the asshole

whatever, I'm not going step any further into this bog

Why come in here and say that if you don't wanna stick around and defend it? you're not the first person to say something about generalizing cops, but that's usually all you guys say and don't take time to hear other sides. I don't believe all cops are bad people, I know not all of them all, but it's still fuck the police in my eyes because it's an institutional problem. The good cops you guys say exist don't speak out about police brutality, they don't speak out about racial discrimination. They hide and protect their fellow officer because the blue wall of silence exists. If cops want to change their public image, they should actually make an attempt to.

Getting 3 more New Yorkers to distrust the NYPD.

I don't know why any minority living in NY would trust a police department that supported stop and frisk laws, even when they've been proven to be ineffective. Same for LAPD. They're by far the most crooked cops ever.

I don't think people realize that every time there is a high profile case like this, and no one is punished, this emboldens the worst cops to act up even more.

Why should I give a fuck about consequences when there clearly are none? It's affluenza writ large.

Rembrandt

Banned
Does this story not reek of a bit of bullshit to you guys...? Arresting her for no reason? Really?

After the NYPD literally killed a guy for selling cigarettes?

What has to happen for some of you guys to not be instantly skeptical of police brutality? I could understand if incidents like these rarely happen, but:

Pregnant woman put in chokehold in front of her daughter by NYPD for grilling on the sidewalk in front of her house

NYPD beats and sticks broken broomstick up guys ass.

NYPD supposedly sticks radio antenna up another guy's ass.

Sean Bell murdered morning before his wedding

It's the fucking NYPD of all police forces to defend. Like I said earlier, them and LAPD deserve all the criticism. This is the same police force that turned their back on the mayor at their fellow officers' funeral. fuck them.

but yeah, let's be skeptical of this.

commedieu

Banned
After the NYPD literally killed a guy for selling cigarettes?

What has to happen for some of you guys to not be instantly skeptical of police brutality?

They have to have the ability to allow for the possibility that their experience with police isn't shared by a large % of the country, as well as ignoring the data proving its affecting a large % of the population. That their perspective isn't the rule, but the exception. There is a lot that has to be met mentally, to accept that this is normal for the NYPD, and that it is a problem. A hurdle here, is that unless you experience it and are aware of it, its virtually invisible.

When its seen as people crying foul, generally, its easier to just assume its more people complaining than actually looking into the issue. And more specifically, the NYPD's issues.

Enzom21

Does this story not reek of a bit of bullshit to you guys...? Arresting her for no reason? Really?
Have you ever believed a story that put your fellow cops in a bad light?
Edit: If this turns out to be true, are you going to try to claim that race has nothing to do with this like you did with Eric Garner's death?

I don't think people realize that every time there is a high profile case like this, and no one is punished, this emboldens the worst cops to act up even more.

Why should I give a fuck about consequences when there clearly are none? It's affluenza writ large.

I'm pretty sure they already think they are untouchable after their fellow officers got away with an on camera homicide.

Rembrandt

Banned
They have to have the ability to allow for the possibility that their experience with police isn't shared by a large % of the country, as well as ignoring the data proving its affecting a large % of the population. That their perspective isn't the rule, but the exception. There is a lot that has to be met mentally, to accept that this is normal for the NYPD, and that it is a problem. A hurdle here, is that unless you experience it and are aware of it, its virtually invisible.

When its seen as people crying foul, generally, its easier to just assume its more people complaining than actually looking into the issue. And more specifically, the NYPD's issues.

Unfortunately. You would think with how easy it is to find how often these things happen, people would realize that minorities aren't just making it up and police brutality isn't a myth. But I like I seen on Facebook today, it took a cop to respond negatively to her hello to make her believe in excessive force, like, really? it's so fucking irritating to see attitudes like that persist. It so sad to recognize that because of the color of our skin, things that happen to us are ignored until it happens to them or starts to affect them.

Is he really a cop? I noticed he lived in NYC, so lmao if true. like lmao.

commedieu

Banned

I'm pretty sure they already think they are untouchable after their fellow officers got away with an on camera homicide.

didn't know his bro was a cop. That response is terrifying then, especially because the NYPD's abuse is so well documented. And even with this, the feign of disbelief is still present.

I thought good cops should be the people that stand out and against this...But no, we have someone not reading any of the multiple stories, and questioning if the NYPD would really arrest someone for no reason. They kill people for no reason Christopher. Arresting is hardly trouble.

makes perfect sense, and again, terrifying.

SMH.

And in the end she thankfully gets the charges dropped, but left with legal bills, children who've learned the wrong lesson of what police are supposed to be, and having to cope with this horrible event.

Meanwhile NYPD will most likely get to just go, "eh shit happens" and forget about the whole thing.

Way to go NYPD.

In a nutshell.

That's what I'm referring to. Once you see a coworker just flat out kill a guy with his bare hands and walk, why would you think twice about getting your rocks off by fucking with every other person you see on the street? This is as much the fault of the people of NY as it is the NYPD, if you can't indict someone even with blatant video evidence of wrongdoing, it means that you support this kind of action,

Enzom21

Is he really a cop? I noticed he lived in NYC, so lmao if true. like lmao.

didn't know his bro was a cop. That response is terrifying then, especially because the NYPD's abuse is so well documented. And even with this, the feign of disbelief is still present.

I thought good cops should be the people that stand out and against this...But no, we have someone not reading any of the multiple stories, and questioning if the NYPD would really arrest someone for no reason. They kill people for no reason Christopher. Arresting is hardly trouble.

makes perfect sense, and again, terrifying.
Yeah he's a cop and he usually backs his fellow cops.

Christopher

Hey if people are wrong no matter what they do their wrong - I just like to read all the facts before making any decision. Me being a cop has nothing to do with just standing up for cops,

if their wrong their wrong and that's all there is to it. I personally no matter what case now always like to hear both stories first. To me it just seems so reckless to arrest someone for NO reason I just needed more facts to make my judgement.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I am making a joke in regards to the NYPD officer rolling into a topic about the wrongdoing of NYPD officers and, surprise surprise, casting doubt on the story making NYPD officers look bad.

I wonder does he change wikipedia articles on his free time?

Christopher

I wonder does he change wikipedia articles on his free time?

Nope not a fan of doing that! I come here and bullshit with you guys on my free time. I'm just giving another perspective if their wrong their wrong - I just know I'm my limited time working here that's not how things are normally done. I guess I just like to still think ideally that cops are the good guys helping people. arresting someone for no reason is a serious offense.

commedieu

Banned
Hey if people are wrong no matter what they do their wrong - I just like to read all the facts before making any decision. Me being a cop has nothing to do with just standing up for cops,

if their wrong their wrong and that's all there is to it. I personally no matter what case now always like to hear both stories first. To me it just seems so reckless to arrest someone for NO reason I just needed more facts to make my judgement.

So are you not aware of the NYPD's history of shooting/abusing people for 0 reason? Are you doubling down on the idea that you, as Law Enforcement, have never heard anything about the NYPD's history of shooting and abusing people for no reason? To chime in that it sounds like bullshit? How are you not aware of the NYPD's history Christopher? How? Honestly, I'd really like you to explain how you're unware of the precedent NYPD has set, shooting and abusing people for 0 reason, in HD and on youtube. Hell, probably in VR by now.

You seem to always need facts, but you are ignoring all that is presented to give a speech about how you need more information before making a judgment. Your opinion can change, no one is making a record of what you say to hold you accountable later, especially not the police department. Reading the article, and knowing NYPD's history and litigation history, how can you come to any conclusion outside of "Jesus, the NYPD is fucking up again." based on the data you have that shows that the NYPD is consistently shooting/abusing people without cause or merit. I mentioned my dad earlier, as hes a judge/ret.detective LAPD. You know what he says when the NYPD fucks up? He says the NYPD is fucking up. As when its a recurring issue that tax payers are always on the hook for, problems are at multiple levels of the department, and yes, it tarnishes the entire pd. Same when LAPD fucked up with that Cow-Boy display over Christopher Dorner. Why does he have the capacity to understand that these departments are being ran into the ground by fuckups, but you have to wait for something to tell you that its not that way. Cops don't act alone, there is a whole support structure that has to support the behavior. Not just rogue apples.

You see officers standing by passively. Which is why people say fuck all of them, if the good ones can't even summon up the courage to do their job, there is no point. As the bad police work without punishment. These are the people you always cheerlead for, the good cops. What are they doing? Nothing, because we all know what happens when you whistle blow at the NYPD. You might not know, of course, but Officer Adrian Schoolcraft knows.

Enzom21

Nope not a fan of doing that! I come here and bullshit with you guys on my free time. I'm just giving another perspective if their wrong their wrong - I just know I'm my limited time working here that's not how things are normally done. I guess I just like to still think ideally that cops are the good guys helping people. arresting someone for no reason is a serious offense.
Didn't you claim that there was no racial profiling at your precinct? In the NYPD? You really do have do have idealized view of cops if that's the case. NYPD cops killed Eric Garner for no reason, why is so hard to believe they would arrest people for no reason?

Van Owen

Banned
Yeah, I'd like to hear the other side of this before passing judgement because it sounds completely bizarre.

Remember that thread that had pages of people bashing cops for shooting a young black male, and then the video came out showing him pull a gun on that cops?

commedieu

Banned
Yeah, I'd like to hear the other side of this before passing judgement because it sounds completely bizarre.

Remember that thread that had pages of people bashing cops for shooting a young black male, and then the video came out showing him pull a gun on that cops?

I remember that 1, then there was 900 others and subsequent lawsuits that the NYPD has to deal with as its more often than not, people being abused for no reason. But yeah, I'm with you... If I were a gambling man, I'd be willing to bet that the one instance of people being wrong on gaf, is the bar to use.

Definitely.

Van Owen

Banned
I remember that 1, then there was 900 others and subsequent lawsuits that the NYPD has to deal with as its more often than not, people being abused for no reason. But yeah, I'm with you... If I were a gambling man, I'd be willing to bet that the one instance of people being wrong on gaf, is the bar to use.

Definitely.

Something doesn't add up. She called 911 to have police talk to her son at a gas station, and 4 officers were dispatched? Like, what?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Something doesn't add up. She called 911 to have police talk to her son at a gas station, and 4 officers were dispatched? Like, what?

It was on the first page.

I usually side against the police but this makes me think there may be more to this:

Did a search to see if there was any more info on this but no other media outlets are carrying it... but I did find another interesting story:

http://nypost.com/2006/10/09/nypd-daily-blotter-1620/

October 9, 2006

*** A woman was arrested yesterday after stabbing and critically wounding her boyfriend in her Bruckner home, police said.

Tyeesha Mobley, 20, got into a heated argument with the 21-year-old victim on the first floor of her residence on Fteley Avenue at about 2:30 a.m., according to cops.

It was unclear what sparked the dispute, but Mobley allegedly pulled a knife and stabbed the victim in the chest.

Mobley then called 911 and police arrested her.

Charges were pending.

The wounded man was rushed to Jacobi Hospital, where he was fighting for his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom