• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD is at it again: Mom Arrested After Asking Police to Talk to Young Son

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hari Seldon

It really is the feudal system returned. Cops are paid thugs who only enforce laws on the peasants and harass with impunity.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I can say from experience that we have "bad cops" in Australia, fuck me it's nowhere near this level of bullshit we read about American cops. What the fuck is wrong with the system over there that lets these fucking idiots through?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I can say from experience that we have "bad cops" in Australia, fuck me it's nowhere near this level of bullshit we read about American cops. What the fuck is wrong with the system over there that lets these fucking idiots through?

When you have 40,000 police, impossible that a few bad ones (few?!) get through.

The whole thing is ridiculous.

Oh I get it, she endangered her kids by intentionally bringing a violent belligerent racist to talk to her kids. Now they're emotionally scarred. The police had no choice but to charge her with child endangerment for exposing them to the police.

When you have 40,000 police, impossible that a few bad ones (few?!) get through.

Nah the issue is also the system that enables this too, not just the fact that it's impossible to not have some bad cops hired. Why does this cop get to do whatever he wants? If 99% of them are upstanding, why aren't they standing up against this? She had to fight this for 4 months. It's police culture and the system that need to change.

Weiss

Banned
I'm not going down any "route". Jesus.

Has it really come to the point where if I think generalizing is dumb that it makes me the asshole

whatever, I'm not going step any further into this bog

Every single time we try to discuss the reprehensible actions of police officers or try to criticize the institution that employs them, select posters try to grind the topic to a halt because "not all cops" are responsible for the actions of others, and while I agree, it's ultimately irrelevant. If all you have to say is "not all cops" you aren't bringing anything of merit into the discussion.

The more stories I read about thuggish and abusive cop behaviour directed at blacks, hispanics or poor whites, the more Im convinced the "system" is fundamentally working the way it was set up to work. American police are as much about enforcing the social status quo (with blacks and hispanics as second class citizens) as they are about crime prevention. Im not saying there is a directive to go out and kick minorities heads in, but its the logical consequence of public policies that target groups that dont have the political clout to seriously fight back.

Using 911 was probably not the best idea, but she had the best intentions, in trying to show that the police aren't all bad. And she got absolutely fucked over anyway.

commedieu

Banned
The more stories I read about thuggish and abusive cop behaviour directed at blacks, hispanics or poor whites, the more Im convinced the "system" is fundamentally working the way it was set up to work. American police are as much about enforcing the social status quo (with blacks and hispanics as second class citizens) as they are about crime prevention. Im not saying there is a directive to go out and kick minorities heads in, but its the logical consequence of public policies that target groups that dont have the political clout to seriously fight back.

Nailed it.

It's a shame how actual good cops are usually punished for doing the right thing.

The system changes when "good cops" take a stand.

If there was as many "good cops" as people keep pretending there are, and all of them decided enough was enough, policing in the United States would change almost instantly. It wouldn't even require all the protesting and everything else that has proven ineffective so far.

And yet, that hasn't happened. Either there aren't as many good cops as people keep telling me there are, despite being in the overwhelming majority according to some folks, or ...

Edit:

You've just taken your first steps into a larger world.

esms

There was an article about this very topic after the Garner grand jury decided not to prosecute. Short answer is: you're absolutely right.

Volimar

Guys this is a lawsuit. Though I can't imagine a scenario that would make arresting the mother make sense, you have to take a lot of what is said with a grain of salt. In lawsuits there is a lot of pressure to make things seem worse than they were. I'm obviously not saying she's lying about the core of what happened, just don't take her every word as gospel. Really hope the thread keeps updated though. I can't wait to hear the officers' side of it.

Valhelm

contribute something
The three shitheads standing by doing nothing further cement my point about good cops and bad cops. If you think you're a good cop and you don't try to stop the bad ones you're actually full of shit.

I agree that they should have stepped in, but "not fighting the bad ones makes you a bad one" is a pretty dangerous line of thinking that's often been used to harass various groups, from feminists to Muslims to gay people.

The Adder

Banned
I agree that they should have stepped in, but "not fighting the bad ones makes you a bad one" is a pretty dangerous line of thinking that's often been used to harass various groups, from feminists to Muslims to gay people.

Because an ideology, a religion, and a sexuality are certainly the equivalent of a state regulated organization.

commedieu

Banned
The system changes when "good cops" take a stand.

If there was as many "good cops" as people keep pretending there are, and all of them decided enough was enough, policing in the United States would change almost instantly. It wouldn't even require all the protesting and everything else that has proven ineffective so far.

And yet, that hasn't happened. Either there aren't as many good cops as people keep telling me there are, despite being in the overwhelming majority according to some folks, or ...

Edit:

You've just taken your first steps into a larger world.

People telling you there are good cops are saying it from their perspective. Inherently, this perspective is blocking them from the perspective this mother and others consistently experience. Its so frustrating to see that while you can say "But my friend is a cop and hes good! So not literally every single one is bad!" in the face of the data pointing out the large nation wide problem, that same person can't admit that the system needs a fix. Which shouldn't be a problem for good cops.

Charles barkley doesn't think theres anything to it as well. As he never has the encounters that others describe. In his mansion, in Tempe Arizona... But we need everyone on the same page, as browns don't have enough political clout to change things. Getting everyone on the same page is what the government has rendered impossible through media and laws. But communication between people is creating that conversation. Its a shame it takes so many mistreated/killed people to do it. But we are seeing salt and pepper crowds protesting this shit. The pressure will hopefully continue to mount. And more importantly, with all of the facts coming out, people can no longer double down on their bias/lack of acknowledgement, without some serious mental gymnastics.

Well I mean this how the American police force has always been.

Pay this woman.

I love how the other cops didnt do shit. That blue wall of silence sure is great that it allows shit like this to happen.

Even without hearing the NYPD's account, I can't imagine any logical scenario from them, where there would be some radical escalation that resulted in the mother justifiably needing to be arrested and the children being taken away for 4 months. There would have to be some HUGE chunk of the story being left out.

wildfire

Banned
Implying that I would only be satisfied with publishing an article if there is a police version? Yes he was.

I didn't care to respond before but you clearly stated the news agency should've gotten the police officers side and you double downed after someone mentioned they were asked. I don't know if you just missed it in the article itself but missing the comment of someone in this thread is stubborn.

Please stop devaluing this discussion.

It's a shame how actual good cops are usually punished for doing the right thing.

This is a problem in of itself. You pretty much have to be the police chief or your chance for advancement and overtime opportunities becomes more limited.

I sort of get why cops who might want to uphold their coworkers to higher standards don't want to risk it but don't they have enough available resources from DAs and IA to deal with this?

Volimar

He certainly insinuated they have the same, or at least comparable, level of culpability for the actions of those in their ranks.

Which is a stupid notion.

He's saying that the argument is comparable, not that the subjects were the same. I dislike when people dismiss the points of a discussion because they don't enjoy the comparisons. It's right up there with the slippery slope and taking logical inferences to their illogical extreme. But I'm not trying to derail the thread with an argument on semantics, so I will just drop my complaint.

jerry1594

Uhh lol. It's their duty to uphold the law, and not meekly stand around while their knuckle dragging pal abuses his authority.

The Adder

Banned
He's saying that the argument is comparable, not that the subjects were the same. I dislike when people dismiss the points of a discussion because they don't enjoy the comparisons. It's right up there with the slippery slope and taking logical inferences to their illogical extreme. But I'm not trying to derail the thread with an argument on semantics, so I will just drop my complaint.

Please do tell me the authorities vested in a feminist and the responsibilities expected of them. Should they fail in these responsibilities, by what process are their authorities revoked? And by what governing body?

Can't tell me any of these? Then no, it's not fucking comparable.

What the fuck, why didn't the other cops do anything? It's not enough to just tell him "we're not supposed to act this way", DO something about it.

I wanted to be a cop for such a long time in order to help people, but I've become so disillusioned with them in this country.

Do "good" officers simply not last a long time on the force? Are they shunned by the majority for trying to speak up? I refuse to believe a good portion of them are like this, but, why do the others not report these fuckers? This needs to change, this all needs to fucking change.

What the fuck, why didn't the other cops do anything? It's not enough to just tell him "we're not supposed to act this way", DO something about it.

I wanted to be a cop for such a long time in order to help people, but I've become so disillusioned with them in this country.

Do "good" officers simply not last a long time on the force? Are they shunned by the majority for trying to speak up? I refuse to believe a good portion of them are like this, but, why do the others not report these fuckers? This needs to change, this all needs to fucking change.

I would say fear of retaliation for speaking up against your fellow "brothers."

Volimar

You would think that if the cops that spoke up got fired for some made up shit that the news would still be littered with interviews with former officers giving their stories. So that's probably not what's happening.

Jenov

This doesn't sound like the entire story, especially considering it's only reporting from 1 source and just her lawyer. Plus the lady has a history of brutal assault, stabbing her boyfriend over and over?

commedieu

Banned

If you really want to know; give this a listen.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/414/right-to-remain-silent
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Schoolcraft#Disclosure

This is what happens to good cops that try to be, good. And its a message for the rest.

Schoolcraft reports being harassed, particularly in 2009, after he began to voice his concerns within the precinct. He was told he needed to increase arrest numbers and received a bad evaluation. The next day, he found a paper in his locker reading: "If you don't like your job, maybe you should get another job."[3]

Schoolcraft reports that the Department directed him toward psychological treatment rather than taking his concerns seriously. When he discussed issues like understaffing and stop-and-frisk with NYPD psychologist Catherine Lamstein, she directed him to surrender his weapons.[3] Schoolcraft was reassigned to a desk job.[3]

for 17 months, New York police officer Adrian Schoolcraft recorded himself and his fellow officers on the job, including their supervisors ordering them to do all sorts of things that police aren't supposed to do. For example, downgrading real crimes into lesser ones, so they wouldn't show up in the crime statistics and make their precinct look bad. Adrian's story first appeared as a five part series in the Village Voice, written by Graham Rayman. (41 minutes)Criminal Justice • Jobs/Employment • Police
Ira Glass

wildfire

Banned
Charles barkley doesn't think theres anything to it as well. As he never has the encounters that others describe. In his mansion, in Tempe Arizona...

Since this is a frequent go to put down argument for Black people saying the police are fine I'll just point out I'm not rich.

I definitely see a problem because I don't bury my head in the sand when faced with damning evidence. While the statistical probability isn't great it isn't implausible for someone to rarely have problems with the police even if they are brown.

You would think that if the cops that spoke up got fired for some made up shit that the news would still be littered with interviews with former officers giving their stories. So that's probably not what's happening.

Most don't get fired. They simply stop advancing and getting opportunities.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Looks like police in US are some of the worst in the world, even worse then third world countries when it comes to using their power. We have reached an all time low and it looks like our society is regressing to shit, if this is any indication of it.

The Adder

Banned
One last thing I'd like to append to my last post:

If you want to look like the bigger man by refusing to continue to argue, refuse to continue to argue.

Continuing to argue but then ending your argument with a declaration that you're not going to argue anymore doesn't make you look like the bigger man, it makes you look like a five year old with their eyes closed and hands over their ears.

commedieu

Banned
Since this is a frequent go to put down argument for Black people saying the police are fine I'll just point out I'm not rich.

I definitely see a problem because I don't bury my head in the sand when faced with damning evidence. While the statistical probability isn't great it isn't implausible for someone to rarely have problems with the police even if they are brown.

Who cares if its not implausible? The data is specific. The trend is specific. Pointing out that there is an exception to it, is what the data sort of presents as its not 100% instances of all things, ever. We are then left with the same horrible outcome that is severely targeted towards brown people, and I guess a benefit is that someone can rest better knowing that data doesn't mean everything and everyone, to someone?
My father is a Judge/Ret.Detective. Hes brown, and he has the same view on police currently. His view is that nothing changed, things just went in hiding for politics, but people are still the same folks that wouldn't work with him, and now they are judges and lawyers/chiefs/gov..etc. This isn't to say that its impossible for a brown person to have a great time with PD, its just as you said it, not most likely the scenario. My point about barkley is that he allows his perspective to block out other perspectives. He considers his perspective to be the statistical probability. He then speaks to the statistical data-driven issue, with his perspective. That provides nothing but an opinion from someone who isn't familiar with the issue, but others wanting to support the issue, take the side of barkley and ignore the data. Barkley aside, this is a problem with people and social interactions. Now faced with the data, its going to be harder and harder to work your opinion around it.

If you don't bury your head in the sand, you're a good human being, and thank you for that. I appreciate that.

But, no, I see no value in taking the rare occasions and upholding them as a bar for measurement, not with the data. They are in the minority, and have no significant value towards change or progress. Unless its people that are understanding that while their experiences are one way, its differing for a significant % of the population.

Volimar

One last thing I'd like to append to my last post:

If you want to look like the bigger man by refusing to continue to argue, refuse to continue to argue.

Continuing to argue but then ending your argument with a declaration that you're not going to argue anymore doesn't make you look like the bigger man, it makes you look like a five year old with their eyes closed and hands over their ears.

You're absolutely right. I should have just given my view and let you retort instead of just trying to end the argument. I was genuinely trying to prevent a derail, but I went about it in the wrong way. What I did was disrespectful to you and I apologise sincerely.

The Adder

Banned
You're absolutely right. I should have just given my view and let you retort instead of just trying to end the argument. I was genuinely trying to prevent a derail, but I went about it in the wrong way. What I did was disrespectful to you and I apologise sincerely.

I appreciate it. I'll gear my invective down a notch in our inevitable future butting of heads with this post in mind. At first at least.

I think it's important to remember that there are dedicated, moral, ethical police officers that put their lives on the line every day. We don't have threads about them, typically. It's important to recognize the root cause behind these types of stories: ingrained cultural ignorance, prejudice, and a stunning deficiency of empathy. Reform is welcome; grouping good people in with this is not.

People telling you there are good cops are saying it from their perspective. Inherently, this perspective is blocking them from the perspective this mother and others consistently experience. Its so frustrating to see that while you can say "But my friend is a cop and hes good! So not literally every single one is bad!" in the face of the data pointing out the large nation wide problem, that same person can't admit that the system needs a fix. Which shouldn't be a problem for good cops.

Charles barkley doesn't think theres anything to it as well. As he never has the encounters that others describe. In his mansion, in Tempe Arizona... But we need everyone on the same page, as browns don't have enough political clout to change things. Getting everyone on the same page is what the government has rendered impossible through media and laws. But communication between people is creating that conversation. Its a shame it takes so many mistreated/killed people to do it. But we are seeing salt and pepper crowds protesting this shit. The pressure will hopefully continue to mount. And more importantly, with all of the facts coming out, people can no longer double down on their bias/lack of acknowledgement, without some serious mental gymnastics.
I'm responding more to the "fuck the police" mentality. Indeed, fuck police doing immoral and unethical things. In many places, the whole organization could be rotten. But you can't tell me with a straight face you think most cops in America aren't good people. I feel like people are creating false perceptions of reality, much like they do with Muslims. There are a smaller set of egregious examples of evil, there is a larger set of cops with ingrained problematic and deplorable cultural practices, and there are outdated, flawed, misguided, and malicious parts of code and law that drive bad behavior and bad results all over.

Valhelm

contribute something
Uhh lol. It's their duty to uphold the law, and not meekly stand around while their knuckle dragging pal abuses his authority.

Oh yeah, I agree. Avoiding confrontation was cowardly, but doesn't make them as bad as the abusive cop.

commedieu

Banned
Oh yeah, I agree. Avoiding confrontation was cowardly, but doesn't make them as bad as the abusive cop.

It makes them worse, as they are technically, and realistically, the only people with the power to do anything about their image, and police abuse. While we citizens can strive for change through political means, they are watching it happen and not lifting a finger.

So yes I agree, abusive cop is 100% bad, and they are 90% bad for doing nothing. I think that's fair. What % would you attribute..?

edit 95%?

That's a pretty damn low bar to clear.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I could only imagine how awkward the female officer felt after her colleague and maybe even her friend said that, I bet she felt embarrassed to be associated with a racist.,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom