• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wait a sec, so XB 360 controller isn't pressure sensitive?

Zaptruder

Banned
Damn... that blows.

I was going to make a comment on the FN360 game to the effect of; they could apply procedural animation to the moves as well, via use of pressure sensitivity; as it is right now... the animation looks really robotic, because the characters jerk to their built in positions very quickly... but they don't have a good sense of rythm or naturalness to them. In otherwords, it's still obvious you're controlling ragdolls of some sort, and it definetly lets down the graphics a good deal, or rather it becomes even more noticable because the graphics have improved so much

h1nch

black_13 said:
http://firingsquad.com/hardware/xbox_360_mistakes/page9.asp

No pressure sensitive face buttons??? How the hell did this happen. I thought this was supposed to be the best controller ever and it doesn't have this basic feature the original XB even had?

ANd how does this affect backward compatibility with those games that used it?

The XB 360 is looking worse and worse in my eyes everyday.

i didnt even know the original had that. seriously, pressure sensitive buttons is probably the most worthless feature imaginable...

Arsynic

Banned
It's true. Secondly, you shouldn't care since:

1. It's a useless feature for face buttons.

2. Most games didn't use them.

The real kicker is, if you didn't read that article, would you have noticed? No you wouldn't have.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
h1nch said:
i didnt even know the original had that. seriously, pressure sensitive buttons is probably the most worthless feature imaginable...

QTF

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I hate pressure sensitive buttons. The whole release the button gently to not fire mechanic in MGS2 (and 3?) was super lame.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Arsynic said:

The real kicker is, if you didn't read that article, would you have noticed? No you wouldn't have.
It's not useless, but there is no denying that most developers never used it.

The only games to put pressure sensitive buttons to great use (IMO) have been the two recent MGS titles. The whole CQC system in MGS3 requires pressure sensitive buttons, for example.

I absolutely loved how they were used, but I know some folks never did care much for it.

Arsynic said:

I think Metal Gear Solid would be the only series effected and it would suck without it, but the X360 probably isn't getting MGS4, its not too bad.

I haven't played Madden 06, but I know in 05, whether you pressed soft or hard allowed you to throw lobs or bullets.

I don't think it's useless.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I'm struggling to think of a game besides Metal Gear Solid 2/3 that used analog face buttons in any significant way...

If you need analog, the triggers are there. So, this news(old news at that) shouldn't upset anyone.

Kasra

Banned
The only Xbox game that I remember using the pressure sensitivity was DOAXBV...

So, actually, this is BEYOND a worthless feature.

Xellos

Buggy Loop said:
I seriously doubt the original xbox had it, find me a game example that used it.

MGS2: Substance
GTA Double Pack
Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball
Morrowind

But yeah MGS is the only series I can think of that make really good use of the pressure sensitive buttons. It's also somewhat important for GTA because the game was built around using the shoulder buttons to look left and right and face buttons for gas/brake for doing a drive-by (the right analog stick was an effective substitute for Xbox 1, but I still prefer the original control layout).

123rl

The Xbox had pressure sensitive buttons? Since when? :lol I can't think of any games I played that used them...or at least used them to a degree that I'd actually notice it

Jerkface

Banned
Zaptruder said:
Damn... that blows.

I was going to make a comment on the FN360 game to the effect of; they could apply procedural animation to the moves as well, via use of pressure sensitivity; as it is right now... the animation looks really robotic, because the characters jerk to their built in positions very quickly... but they don't have a good sense of rythm or naturalness to them. In otherwords, it's still obvious you're controlling ragdolls of some sort, and it definetly lets down the graphics a good deal, or rather it becomes even more noticable because the graphics have improved so much

Fight Night uses the right analog stick.

Ecrofirt

The feature is pretty shitty, if I recall.

There's 256 levels of sensitivity on the face buttons, but you can't test for all levels of sensitivity, as with the face buttons, there's "crosstalk", where a small amount of pressure on one button can give back inaccurate results on another or something.

So you've got 256 levels, but the first 30 or so levels aren't readable. so after that you've got what, a 1/6th of an inch for 226 positions or so? I dunno, doesn't seem like a really big deal to me.

Good riddance. The Xbox ones didn't work very well, but I was glad of that, 'cause the Dual Shock 2's buttons suck big time. I use a Dual Shock 1 for everything that'll take it.

ghibli99

Sholmes said:
Ridge Racer V actually let you change pressure levels on the buttons. I thought that was cool.
But didn't this require you to press the button so hard to achieve full throttle that you'd have a permanent button imprint in your thumb? :)

"Binary" it's-100%-or-nothing face buttons are perfectly fine for most games. I don't think this should be a make-it-or-break-it decision on whether to buy an X360. That controller is probably the most comfortable first-party one made in a while.

Mad Maestro on the PS2 also supported pressure-sensitive button presses, and while the game was alright, getting the button presses to be the correct pressure was a little more frustrating than it had to be. The walk/run implementation on the d-pad for MGS2 worked pretty well, though.

black_13

Banned
Arsynic said:

Hell yeah I would've noticed.

what about DOA4?

In DOA3 and DOAU the control scheme relied heavily on the pressure sensitive buttons. Without it, DOA4 is going to feel a whole lot worse than it is.

EekTheKat

One more interesting bit about pressure sensitive buttons + Metal Gear Solid : you can instantly go from standing to prone by pressing X all the way down, or if you just tap X it'll go from standing to crouching.... and vice versa.

After a while it becomes totally second nature, and it's all mapped to one button too..

Jerkface

Banned
TheDuce22 said:
Is this a joke thread? Pressure sensitive buttons are garbage.

The line "The XB 360 is looking worse and worse in my eyes everyday." leads me to believe its either a joke or the guy is retarded.

raYne

black_13 said:
In DOA3 and DOAU the control scheme relied heavily on the pressure sensitive buttons. Without it, DOA4 is going to feel a whole lot worse than it is.
Eh? No one who actually played the DOA series (or fighters in general) cares for pressure sensitive buttons. (arcade versions hello?)

As Faceless said, it's not even on by default...

ghibli99

black_13 said:
Did it? In the many, many hours that my friends and I have logged on DOA3/U, we've been using J-arcade sticks, and the game played just fine... it's one of our favorites. Have we been missing out on something all these years? Seriously, I'm curious...

Zen

Banned
I've played tons of games that use them... Of course 90 percent of games use them suttlely... I just can't remember any besides like MGS2-3 and Tekken. They're great to have, the 360 buttons feel so cheap now, almost Dreamcast esque.

Ecrofirt

I haven't played MGS 3, but is that a feature of pressure sensitive buttons, or how long a button had been held down? The way you describe it makes it sound more like the latter of the two, but I could easily be wrong.

Raven.

Banned
Arsynic said:

mgs series begs to differ....

ghibli99

Zen said:
I've played tons of games that use them... Of course 90 percent of games use them suttlely... I just can't remember any besides like MGS2-3 and Tekken.
Tekken used them, too? I'd like to hear how this changed the game in any significant way. Like most fighting games, it's sticks or nothing for me.

Zen said:
They're great to have, the 360 buttons feel so cheap now, almost Dreamcast esque.
Are you talking about the face buttons? I think they feel much closer to the Controller S... better, IMO, since the ergonomics of the controller are better on the X360. The DC face buttons are pretty hollow in comparison.

sangreal

I played through MGS2 and MGS3 on the PS2 and couldn't even have told you that it supported pressure sensitive buttons

Zen

Banned
Did you not ever aim the gun or use CQC? I'm not being snarky, but pressure sentive buttons are generally very non-invasive if used properly, and MGS3 relied on them a lot.

Jerkface

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
I like the fact that the d-pad is now a button. Then again, maybe it was on the Controller S as well.

Woah, I didn't even realise that. Is it used for anything yet?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Xbox controller were pressure sensitive? I didnt realize...

PS2's pressure senesitive buttons make a difference in Kojima's games. Just try playing MGS or ZOE2. Too bad not many developers really took advantage of it

ghibli99

Jerkface said:
Woah, I didn't even realise that. Is it used for anything yet?
Hmm... most modern d-pads "click" down in the center (like a button) by nature of their design, but don't do anything. Is the X360 one different?

Top Bottom