• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wait a sec, so XB 360 controller isn't pressure sensitive?

ghibli99 said:
Hmm... most modern d-pads "click" down in the center (like a button) by nature of their design, but don't do anything. Is the X360 one different?

One game used the d-pad click, that's how I found out. Could be Amped 3, not sure. But yeah, it works in the same way as the thumbstick click.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Another good riddance from me. Analog is fine on sticks and triggers, but with buttons it's nearly impossible to judge. There was some racing game on PS2 that used it and your finger was in constant pain because you'd be mashing it, not sure if you were pressing hard enough. Horrible, horrible non-feature.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
now it becomes clear why Kojima chose the PS3 for his next-gen efforts...

edit: jk of course. But, some developers (ok, maybe 1% of them) might have liked the option. I remember Itagaki said something about the lack of pressure sensitive on the 360 controller and you know Kojima might've preferred them as well.

belgurdo

Banned
About the only time I've ever cared about analog buttons is with GTA (can't do driving dates on the PC version because you can't control acceleration.) But other than that, I've never noticed them in any other game

ghibli99

open_mouth_ said:
now it becomes clear why Kojima chose the PS3 for his next-gen efforts...
I'm sure pressure sensitivity was the deciding factor... and has Sony confirmed that this feature is staying in for the PS3 controller?

AltogetherAndrews said:
One game used the d-pad click, that's how I found out. Could be Amped 3, not sure. But yeah, it works in the same way as the thumbstick click.
Interesting... I don't remember MS talking about this at Xfest, but I'll have to take a look at this now. Thanks for the info.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
well this will help with the longevity of the face buttons as well. Over time the sensitivity wears down and you have to press harder for it to respond until eventually it either stops working or you break it.

Mrbob

Pressure sensitive buttons are overrated. I absolutely hated the pressure sensitive attacks in DoA.

Regarding the PS3 controller, they'll probably still be there. But it isn't a big deal, especially when the PS3 controller has gyro technology inside (SPECULATION BY ME).

I've never really cared for pressure sensitive controls. The only example I can think of at the moment is CQC in MGS3 and even that was implemented badly.

Not at all, I just recently start playing the Bouncer (shut up, I'm well aware) and the responsiveness of my DS2 is perfect (the game has a little pressure meter thing in options). I can control the pressure quite well. I've had my console and pad since US release of MGS2... whenever that was.

black_13 said:
Hell yeah I would've noticed.

what about DOA4?

In DOA3 and DOAU the control scheme relied heavily on the pressure sensitive buttons. Without it, DOA4 is going to feel a whole lot worse than it is.

what the hell?

who actually played with that setting on? I always had that setting turned off.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I liked the use of pressure-sensitive buttons in the ace combat games. nothing major, but it was nice being able to zoom in on the map that way for example.

ghibli99

Mrbob said:
Pressure sensitive buttons are overrated. I absolutely hated the pressure sensitive attacks in DoA.
Street Fighter agrees. :)

cStreet_Fighter.jpg

raYne

AltogetherAndrews said:
Anyone who actually owns the game wanna double check this fact? I'm looking at an online control config for the game and it doesn't list anything about a d-pad click. I also skimmed through all my game manuals and both the system and controller manual to be sure. None of those say anything about it either...

At this point I'm inclined to agree with:
ghibli99 said:
Hmm... most modern d-pads "click" down in the center (like a button) by nature of their design, but don't do anything. Is the X360 one different?
...this fact and say that it isn't "officially" a button.

Mrbob said:
Regarding the PS3 controller, they'll probably still be there. But it isn't a big deal, especially when the PS3 controller has gyro technology inside (SPECULATION BY ME).
:lol

Yamaha98

Does the x360 controller retain the 'rumble' feature? I recall MS/Sony getting into legal trouble over the built-in rumble technologys as it was patented by another company. Wonder if another company holds the sensitively patent also......

sangreal

Yamaha98 said:
Does the x360 controller retain the 'rumble' feature? I recall MS/Sony getting into legal trouble over the built-in rumble technologys as it was patented by another company. Wonder if another company holds the sensitively patent also......

Yes it does and, IIRC, Microsoft bought a portion of that company (Immersion) in exchange for the rights to support it.

Also, as posted above, the 360 controllers also have pressure sensitive buttons making this a pointless thread

raYne

sangreal said:
It also says:
Experience an unprecedented level of Rumble Control. Set the Rumble Control to Full, Medium, Low, or Off to match your personal preference.
..and I don't see that either. Granted I only looked once, but for rumble options on the system itself I only recall seeing a check box for on/off.

The information contained in this fact sheet relates to a prerelease product that may be substantially modified before its first commercial release. Accordingly, the information may not accurately describe or reflect the product when first commercially released. This fact sheet is provided for informational purposes only, and Microsoft makes no warranties, express or implied, with respect to the fact sheet or the information contained in it.
Heh.

Chi-Town

Yamaha98 said:

Still has rumble. Microsoft settled with Immersion(the patent holder),actually I think they bought a stake in them.

Edit: Just a second late :)

AltogetherAndrews said:
I like the fact that the d-pad is now a button. Then again, maybe it was on the Controller S as well.
it's not... you can check out any of the diagrams of an open controller, there's no fifth connector there

WindyMan

Pressure sensitive buttons were used in so few Xbox games that Microsoft decided that it made more financial sense to cut the feature from the Xbox 360 controllers. The PS2 uses them, and the PS3 will use them, but honestly, what percentage of games really use the feature?

I must say, though, the 360 game I'm working on right now would do well to have pressure-sensitive buttons. However, it's not going to happen.

It's a feature Microsoft should have included, but ultimately it's really not that important over the life of a console.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
rather than pressure sensitive, can't developers just do "time sensitive", so if, for example, in a soccer game someone quickly taps the A button for a soft pass and if the player holds it longer, it becomes a harder pass... actually, I think most games use this already and it makes more sense than pressure sensitive, especially when you've got like a gazillion buttons on a controller already.

raYne

open_mouth_ said:
rather than pressure sensitive, can't developers just do "time sensitive", so if, for example, in a soccer game someone quickly taps the A button for a soft pass and if the player holds it longer, it becomes a harder pass... actually, I think most games use this already and it makes more sense than pressure sensitive, especially when you've got like a gazillion buttons on a controller already.
They can... and have been doing just that forever (as you've already noticed)... ;)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I hate the pressure sensitive commands in MGS, or rather i hate having to perform them using the face buttons on DS2, I hated it even more in MGS2:S on Xbox, constantly squeezing off bullets without ever intending to.

Im all for pressure sensitive control, but leave it on buttons where the player can actually easily apply two different levels of pressure.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Insertia said:
GT4 anyone?
Made awesome use of pressure sensitive buttons.

I like how the HUD during gameplay actually shows how much pressure you're putting on the gas and brakes. Most people think that you have to push the button hard to get full acceleration...you really don't need to.

Xellos

LakeEarth said:
I've played 2 of these games, and I didn't even know the Xbox had analog buttons :lol

Yeah, they're easy to miss in anything but MGS and car games designed to use the face buttons. IIRC GTA: DP Xbox had the triggers set to gas/brake as the default, DOAX allowed the analog buttons to be disabled (not that it mattered much to the light and fluffy gameplay either way), and Morrowind only used them in stores when raising or lowering the amount of money to be offered for a purchase.

Anyanka

ghibli99 said:
Tekken used them, too? I'd like to hear how this changed the game in any significant way. Like most fighting games, it's sticks or nothing for me.

Tekken doesn't use them.

Shompola

Banned
They sucked. And they sucked in MGS 2 aswell. Infact I used to point my gun to the wall so I could retract the gun :lol

Why is everyone here so virulently opposed to pressure sensitive buttons? It's such an innocuous feature in the first place with essentially the MGS games using them. MGS pretty much requires them because of the in-game menus (tap lightly to bring up the last item/weapon, press fully to bring the whole thing up). Not to mention some other fairly minor stuff (if you have the knife equipped and firmly press square, you'll do a stab which takes guards out in one hit).

And to you guys who couldn't retract shots in MGS2/3, you could've just deselected the gun in the menu.

Shompola

Banned
heh I only remember that if you slowly removed your finger from the button, you would put down your weapon instead of shooting as you would otherwise... and I didnt even know about the other features.. says a lot about how useless it really was.

Harmonica

Wow, this is ridiculous. I can't believe anyone is complaining about the Xbox 360 controller. If it DID have pressure sensitive buttons I bet you some of guys would have found something else about it to have the "xbox 360 look worse and worse everyday".

The Xbox 360 controller is the most comfortable controller I've ever had my hands on. I was considering buying the controller the other day for my PC, and I don't even have an Xbox 360.

raYne

Sholmes said:
Why is everyone here so virulently opposed to pressure sensitive buttons? It's such an innocuous feature in the first place with essentially the MGS games using them. MGS pretty much requires them because of the in-game menus (tap lightly to bring up the last item/weapon, press fully to bring the whole thing up). Not to mention some other fairly minor stuff (if you have the knife equipped and firmly press square, you'll do a stab which takes guards out in one hit).
Both examples you gave could be done without pressure sensitive buttons. They can be done simply by the tap vs hold method which has been a part of gaming, well.. forever...

The downsides of pressure sensitive face buttons are:
-It isn't possible to have as precise control with them versus triggers.
-In games that don't use 'em, they give the buttons a "dead zone" so if you aren't using x amount of pressure it doesn't register.

raYne said:
Both examples you gave could be done without pressure sensitive buttons. They can be done simply by the tap vs hold method which has been a part of gaming, well.. forever...

The downsides of pressure sensitive face buttons are:
-It isn't possible to have as precise control with them versus triggers.
-In games that don't use 'em, they give the buttons a "dead zone" so if you aren't using x amount of pressure it doesn't register.

Though, if you want to shoot right away, tap and hold is costly in MGS.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I've never understood why the buttons are "analog" if they only have 200 and whatever levels of sensitivity. That is not analog.

WindyMan

raYne said:
For example? What would you have liked to use them on in MGP'06?

I'm basing this off of Moto GP 3 for the Xbox, because I technically can't directly comment on '06. But you'll get the idea.

Basically, there are 5 things you would like analog controls for, 7 in total:

Accelerate
Front Brake
Rear Brake
Turning (Left/Right)
Rider Position (Lean forward/Sit upright)

You could get away with this configuration:

Left thumbstick - X-Axis Turning / Y-Axis Rider Position
Right Thumbstick - Y-Axis Accelerate and Combo brake
Left Trigger - Rear Brake
Right Trigger - Front Brake
Gear change (optional) - Thumbstick clicks

The moment you deviate from this for reasons of comfort or prefrence, you're going to lose out on an anlalog function. Even if you don't, you won't really be able to use any of the face buttons or Black/White buttons since your thumbs will always be on the thumbsticks.

If the face buttons were analog, then you could perhaps get away with assigning one of the brakes to the face buttons and acceleration to the trigger. That way, you can have light braking or heavy braking on either or both brakes, access to all of the face buttons and a more comfortable hold on the controller.

The Moto GP games are sort of an anomaly for video games, and even racing games for that matter, in that there are so many functions that someone needs a lot of precision for. A standard controller can barely accomodate for it. While analog buttons for a game like Moto GP would be extremely useful, in the majority of games they are useless.

I would have loved analog buttons for this game. But the console really doesn't need it.

raYne

WindyMan said:
I'm basing this off of Moto GP 3 for the Xbox, because I technically can't directly comment on '06. But you'll get the idea.

Basically, there are 5 things you would like analog controls for, 7 in total:

Accelerate
Front Brake
Rear Brake
Turning (Left/Right)
Rider Position (Lean forward/Sit upright)

You could get away with this configuration:

Left thumbstick - X-Axis Turning / Y-Axis Rider Position
Right Thumbstick - Y-Axis Accelerate and Combo brake
Left Trigger - Rear Brake
Right Trigger - Front Brake
Gear change (optional) - Thumbstick clicks

Makes sense. It's been a while since I've played 2/1 (skipped 3), but if I recall I had:

Left a-stick- turning/rider position.
Right a-stick- ?? (probably nothing)
R- trigger- accel
L-trigger- rear brake
B- front brake
A/X- gear change up/down
Y- rear view(?)

I still don't know how someone could be comfortable with the right a-stick being a accel/brake combo (powerslides!). I changed that real quick.

It'll be interesting to see if I notice any change with not having an analog b button (front brake) on the 360. If Moto GP 1/2 was backwards compatible I'd pop one in and check... but alas.. :lol

Ironclad

Mejilan said:
Analog buttons are useless and needlessly cumbersome, IMHO.
Agreed. Although it worked well in MGS, as whole there really is no need for pressure sensitive face buttons. Likewise, most developers don't put them to use.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
sangreal said:
Yes it does and, IIRC, Microsoft bought a portion of that company (Immersion) in exchange for the rights to support it.

Also, as posted above, the 360 controllers also have pressure sensitive buttons making this a pointless thread
mini1.gif

Tellaerin

ghibli99 said:
I'm sure pressure sensitivity was the deciding factor... and has Sony confirmed that this feature is staying in for the PS3 controller?

I would expect so, if only for the sake of backwards compatibility. Sony seems to take that sort of thing quite seriously. :)

WindyMan said:
I must say, though, the 360 game I'm working on right now would do well to have pressure-sensitive buttons. However, it's not going to happen.

Hey man, could you tell the guys in the sound department to get the sound right? That'd be awesome. MotoGP bikes are loud, hope this aspect gets the attention it deserves. Cheers :).

(I mean IRL those engines sound like they were forged in hell, but in videogames, the sound has always been quite dissapointing for me. Hope MGP '06 is gonna make a difference in that department).

Top Bottom