• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wait a sec, so XB 360 controller isn't pressure sensitive?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I think analog facebuttons have potential, but (to date) haven't been well implemented in both hardware and software.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
pressure sensitive is especially ludicrous in the PS2 burnouts, where you have to mash X just to SELECT A MENU ITEM. and it hurts the gameplay besides.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
The Xbox pressue sensitive buttons were pretty useless so I doubt it's too big a deal. I certainly won't miss them.

amodf

Pressure sensitive buttons are mega-trash. They're no good for fighters since randomly inputs don't come out right, like in The Bouncer, where combos were made "really fun" by requiring both timing and juggling pressure sensitivity. PS2->Xbox ports occasionally suffered from the feature also, like Legacy of Kain Defiance, where nothing would register unless maximum force was applied to a button. Which totally made me feel like I was actually an angry vampire-man, since I was smashing the controller SO HARD!

The only games I can think of that used the feature well were the MGS games, since it was was easier to get dogtags by letting go of the button, instead of clicking in and out of first person mode then juggling inventory and then punch punch punch.

It's only good for racing games, and there are triggers for those. I welcome the generation of controllers free of fierce thumb-depression action.

Last Hope

What is even worse is that the trigger sensitivity in PGR3 is terrible. I was thinking it was just the Xbox but I tried RR6 and NFS and it worked fine (so at least they did something right). But anyway, sucks that the face buttons are not presure sensitive.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Count me among the haters of analog face buttons.

Thanks to hours and hours of playing Frequency and Amplitude, I learned very quickly that using older PS1 controllers was far more effective than relying on the inprecise face buttons of the DS2. For any game that requires immediate response timing (rhythm and fighting games come to mind), I far prefer my old PS1 controllers to the DS2. The example given of Mad Maestro is an excellent one. I love the game, I HATE the pressure sensitivity being essential to it. I honestly understand why it's integral to the game, but it's so easy to mess up, and for someone like myself who tends to obsess over getting that perfect score, it's insanely frustrating.

I've yet to play MGS3 or ZoE2 (yes, I know for shame, if you could only see my backlog), but if they really do depend on button pressure that much, that's going to be a big sticking point for me. Not that I won't play them, I will, and I'll probably love them if my experience with other GAF favorites is any indication, but it will be an issue.

ghibli99

You know, if a company has EVER done pressure-sensitive face buttons right, it's Namco, with the NeGcon... the red buttons were tall and had sufficient travel so that the player could actually distinguish between various levels of pressure. That twisting motion was so natural for driving, too. The way the Xbox and PS2 face buttons are designed, I don't know how someone can distinguish more than a couple different rates of pressure on buttons that otherwise feel like the on-or-off kind.

negcon.gif

Wollan

Umm. Are you folks sure the original Xbox had pressure sensitive buttons?
I always thought it didn't(except for triggers obviously).

EDIT: People hating on pressure sensitive buttons... 'I don't like it cause it gives games more depth.' *-*

shpankey

not an idiot
jetjevons said:
I hate pressure sensitive buttons. The whole release the button gently to not fire mechanic in MGS2 (and 3?) was super lame.
completely agree on both counts. i am VERY happy that they have abondoned them, i fucking hated them with a passion. triggers are for that kind of stuff.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Wollan said:
Umm. Are you folks sure the original Xbox had pressure sensitive buttons?
I always thought it didn't(except for triggers obviously).

Yes, it did, you can adjust them in Dead or Alive Volleyball

Shinobi

There was a thread here not long ago when some people seemingly tried to argue that pressure sensitive buttons were better and/or more comfortable then triggers. Everyone's got their own tastes, but I didn't get that viewpoint then, and I sure as hell don't get it now.

Would love to see the PS3 pad get some triggers, but I doubt that'll happen.

Daigoro

i have no problem with pressure sensitive buttons, but they arent really a needed feature.

i like the way they were used in MGS3. for the lunge/stab, and the cqc method of holding/interrogating vs. slitting the throat of an enemy.

black_13 said:
Hell yeah I would've noticed.

what about DOA4?

In DOA3 and DOAU the control scheme relied heavily on the pressure sensitive buttons. Without it, DOA4 is going to feel a whole lot worse than it is.

the hell? ive played lots of DOA and i seriously never knew it used pressure sensitive buttons.

can anyone explain how/why pressure sensitivity was used in DOA?

its obviously superfluous. the game works perfectly with an arcade stick.

Zen said:
I've played tons of games that use them... Of course 90 percent of games use them suttlely... I just can't remember any besides like MGS2-3 and Tekken. They're great to have, the 360 buttons feel so cheap now, almost Dreamcast esque.

90% of games use them? what? how so? "i cant remeber any" dosent support your statement.

raYne said:
He probably meant F/3rdPS, not the shooters you're thinking. In any case, scope zoom distance, rate of fire etc.

in what games? i cant thinkof one example in any FPS where pressure sensitivity was used. scope zoom and rate of fire? afaik those are consistantly done by holding down/letting off or by one clicking a button.

Shinobi

Reilly said:
I happen to like the pressure sensitivity. Don't hate on it just because you don't "get it".

I don't hate on it because I don't get it...I hate on it because it fucking sucks.

Piepz

Pressure sensitive for me is important only in racing games, but for that X360 controller have two nice triggers :D

Shompola

Banned
Some F1 game on PS2 used pressure sensitive buttons aswell. One thng for sure though is that the DS2 face buttons were more responsive than the S-Type face buttons no matter what type of game.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Can someone please explain to me how it's "analog"????? Analog does not have a fixed finite number of levels. Analog is "analagous" meaning it should have an infinite number of steps between any two fixed reference points(i.e. fully on, and fully off), not 256 or whatever. Unless there is something I'm not understanding.

raYne

Daigoro said:
can anyone explain how/why pressure sensitivity was used in DOA?
As was stated in the thread, it wasn't on by default. As to how it worked.. you press a button slightly and your character did one hit, you hold it down more and he did a completely different attack. If it sounds like crap that's because it is. Things like that have no place in a fighter.

in what games? i cant thinkof one example in any FPS where pressure sensitivity was used. scope zoom and rate of fire? afaik those are consistantly done by holding down/letting off or by one clicking a button.
PDZ uses the left trigger for scope zoom. The harder you press, the farther you zoom. As for rate of fire I'm 98% sure Soldier of Fortune (DC) used the triggers for rate of fire on certain rifles. Squeeze a little to fire off one (accurate) round, all the way for full/semi auto.

*edit*

I also sorta remember a game using the analog triggers for grenade throws instead of the usual tap/hold method but I'm sure I'm mistaken about that since I can't remember the game clearly.

World Soccer: Winning Eleven 8 used pressure sensitive buttons as well, and to good effect. I seriously had trouble playing FIFA after playing Winning Eleven cuz making passes and shots precisely is so much easier with pressure sensitivity than with length of button press.

Pressure sensitive buttons rock.

Metal Gear Solid when you aim a gun with snake, then slowly get your finger off the button when you want to pull away and not waste a bullet.

Boo Microsoft for not doing this.

Raiden

Banned
I liked it in MGS 3, CQC with "circle" was awesome, after a while it became natural to grab an enemy and holding the circle button on a lighter pressure, and then the slash by pressing it hard.

Also i remember alot of games with the Xbox, where you jumped higher how harder you pressed...but im not sure if thats the presssure sensitive buttons because every mario has it :lol

TRU

This might be a little off topic.... but why the beck is the xbox controler so dang expensive then? $40 for a standard wired... and $50 for wireless.... that's bull crap...it has no new technology in it... and they taken out the analog buttons....

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
TRU said:
This might be a little off topic.... but why the beck is the xbox controler so dang expensive then? $40 for a standard wired... and $50 for wireless.... that's bull crap...it has no new technology in it... and they taken out the analog buttons....

Because businesses like to make money.

jett

D-Member
Winning Eleven and MGS3 use pressure sensitive buttons nicely. I don't see the point of removing that feature, especially on a controller that costs 50 fucking bucks.

WindyMan

jett said:
Winning Eleven and MGS3 use pressure sensitive buttons nicely. I don't see the point of removing that feature, especially on a controller that costs 50 fucking bucks.

The controller would have cost $50 with or without pressure sensitve buttons. Guess which option makes Microsoft more money?

black_13

Banned
ok I see a loooooooot of haters in here.

Believe it or not I acutally used the pressure sensitive controle shceme in DOA. Why you say?Because if I didn't I would have to use the normal button style and since I'm big into Tekken (I mean really big) that would've confused me while switching between each game frequently. Yeah it might sound stupid but that's my playing style.

So some of you brought up some good points that I actually agree with that they weren't an all out great feature to begin with but I was sorta hoping at least with next gen games, more developers like Kojima would take advantage of them cause if used in the right way they can be a great addition (MGS, WE).

Same for racing games, I'm so used to using the X button on PS2 for gas, that I at times would change the control scheme on an XB racer to make the A button gas instead.

SonnyBoy

I actully enjoyed the sensitivity in the Madden games using the PS2 controller. I feel that I had precise control over how I was throwing the ball.

Nikashi

Banned
TRU said:

Headset jacks built in.

raYne

Nikashi said:
Headset jacks built in.
Plus system interface(guide button), ring of light, low power warning on wireless models, secondary visual cues for friends/invites/messages/sign ons etc.

But of course mainly because they can. :lol

Top Bottom