• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aztez coming to PS4 & vita

iamvin22

Industry Verified
No details yet from PS blog but a video.

spear me if old.

edit: adding info thanks to http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=104731743&postcount=3

"In Aztez, you expand and maintain the Aztec empire through turn-based strategy, while managing violent outbreaks via real-time beat 'em up sequences. Every game is unique; different events will occur, different challenges will emerge, and different spoils will be taken each time you play. Spread, strengthen, subjugate!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smJ7TBoTN94

Description in the trailer sounds amazing:

In Aztez, you expand and maintain the Aztec empire through turn-based strategy, while managing violent outbreaks via real-time beat 'em up sequences. Every game is unique; different events will occur, different challenges will emerge, and different spoils will be taken each time you play. Spread, strengthen, subjugate!
The gameplay and artstyle look great as well. Consider my interest piqued!

Trose

Neo Member
So many indie games. It's going to become like Steam where there are so many games is impossible to know what's garbage and what's good

androvsky

Sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing what the strategy part is like.

Now the question is how many more hours will we have to suffer before another indie game for Playstations is announced? :)

Takao

Banned
Hi! I’m Ben Ruiz, the artist and combat designer at Team Colorblind in Arizona. I’m super excited to announced that Aztez, the brutal, bloody, expressive, difficult, and replayable action game I’ve been working on for two years now is coming to Sony’s magnificent, next-gen beast machines. For your own information, Team Colorblind is myself and also Matthew Wegner.

“Brutal, bloody, expressive, difficult, and replayable?!” is probably what you’re thinking as your eyes widen in the dim glow of my audacity. But I sincerely believe that we are cooking up something you will like!

At its core, Aztez is two games. One of those games is a full on real-time beat ‘em up combat experience. We’ve piped in the feel and creativity of Bayonetta, the sensationalism and mobility of Capcom’s Alien Vs Predator, and the precision difficulty of classic Devil May Cry.

As the combat designer, I’ve been studying these types of games for years, and I refuse to produce and hand you something that won’t dangerously raise your heart rate and dopamine levels. I grew up in the arcade, and I want to do for you what the amazing developers of yore did for me with their coin-ops.

The other game that comprises Aztez is an empire management strategy game, and that’s where the aforementioned replayability comes from. We decided early on that we didn’t want to make another beat ‘em up that forces you through a linear narrative and rote platforming segments, so we’ve created what we feel is an infinitely more interesting vehicle for thrilling combat; a randomised, historical Risk-like. Haha!

It might be an overly unusual combination, but the way we see it, it can’t be any worse than grabbing more ledges or pushing around more blocks. And besides, if you do well in our strategy game, you might get to do some pretty profound history rewriting.

But, ultimately, Aztez is about the combat, and we want to make our mark on this generation of Sony consoles with our own signature brand of digital power fantasy, and we want you to be able to do it in your home or on the move. Nothing makes the bus/taxi ride to work better than cutting down a hundred legendary warriors and offering their blood to the gods in real time.

That’s it for now! Tell me what you think about all this and I’ll answer back in the least ridiculous way I know how. Which is still sort of ridiculous. I MEAN WELL.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/03/17/aztez-blows-playstation-4-ps-vita-soon/

sakipon

I'm not sure about the look. When someone mentions Aztecs, I usually think of colorful and detailed art, ancient glory. Then again, if this is done by a group called 'team Colorblind'...

AwShucks

Every time I see or play Aztez it looks and feels better than the last time. I was completely surprised by this announcement and it's an awesome one because this should rock on my Vita (as opposed to PC).

androvsky

youre going to have to say. i'm going to assume infamous spoiler?

No, it's mostly crying about how people bought a PS4 for zomg graphics and this isn't that. There's several comments impressed with it, so I guess that's doing pretty good for youtube comments.

If there's an infamous spoiler, I missed it. Probably best to avoid youtube comments in general.

edit: All of these "looks like x crossed with y" comments and no one's mentioned Axelay yet?

This is relevant to my interests.

Finally a indie DMC- combat based game that doesn't have a shitty 8 bit or a furry artstyle.

Day one. Just hope its cross-buy.

Shengar

Patapon + MadWorld

Patapon?
youhadmycuriousity.png

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Don't read the comments.
youre going to have to say. i'm going to assume infamous spoiler?
Please don't be. I love being on the internet. I don't want to have to go on blackout just because of random spoilers. The only say place will be PSGAF Thread...

Anyway, back OT, I feel like this game was announced a long time ago. Is the strategy with indie marketing is to re-announce it over again?

No its "indie games are not real games", "Indiestation4" and "i didnt buy a ps4 for 1999 flash games" comments galore.
At least i think thats why he said it.

No, it's mostly crying about how people bought a PS4 for zomg graphics and this isn't that. There's several comments impressed with it, so I guess that's doing pretty good for youtube comments.

If there's an infamous spoiler, I missed it. Probably best to avoid youtube comments in general.

edit: All of these "looks like x crossed with y" comments and no one's mentioned Axelay yet?

Please don't be. I love being on the internet. I don't want to have to go on blackout just because of random spoilers. The only say place will be PSGAF Thread...

Anyway, back OT, I feel like this game was announced a long time ago. Is the strategy with indie marketing is to re-announce it over again?

well you are better off just sticking to gaf. you can bet someone will spoil it. SP/infamous fb page, playstation page, etc.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So many indie games. It's going to become like Steam where there are so many games is impossible to know what's garbage and what's good

Except it's not, at all. It's silly to compare the current situation on PS4 to post-Greenlight Steam in the first place, but even ignoring that it's a ridiculous statement.

You made it to GAF, which proves that you're able to work the internet, giving you access to countless resources highlighting the good stuff among the "garbage", including this very website. All you have to do is put a tiny bit of effort into informing yourself.

Moobabe

ok i get it, ps4 does indie.

can i get my AAA announcements now please ?

Are we ever going to get to the stage where this is bannable? Just the most ignorant bullshit currently doing the rounds on GAF.

Indie games are not at the expense of AAA titles. Sony are not MAKING THE FUCKING INDIE GAMES.

kenjisalk

Played it at PAX Prime last year, it was he most impressive game on the indie alley.

The combat is legit, and the promise of strategy elements outside of fights is really compeling.

Glad it wasn't locked down as an MS exclusive, as a Vita version is my ideal place to play a game like this.

Top Bottom