• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was to be the very worst, that no one ever used...

There are so many Pokemon out there that no sane person used in a fight. Their usefulness vanished as soon as they were in a pokeball and their page in the Pokedex was filled. You could then release them, and no tears would be shed. Some of these Pokemon would not even evolve, cursed to dwell in their awfully sketched/designed bodies for the whole poketernity.

I mean, look at this... thing.

Chansey.gif

Any other garbage (pun intended) Pokemon out there?

btkadams

chansey was definitely used. you should have posted luvdisc or rattata. actually, there are much better examples from gen 2 onwards, and i can't remember their names for the very reason outlined in the op.

trubbish is literally garbage, but i bet people used him as there are few poison pokemon.

MUnited83

For you.
Chancey has pretty good defense and on of the highest HP on the game, no? It's far from useless.

chansey was definitely used. you should have posted luvdisc or rattata.

trubbish is literally garbage, but i bet people used him as there are few poison pokemon.
Well, rattata as at least the F.E.A.R technique going for it.

Forkball

Chansey is still used competitively today and is one of the few non-fully evolved Pokemon who is used in such a manner.

You. Done. GOOFED.

But not all Pokemon are there to be serious battlers. Some have interesting gimmicks like Chatot that's there for fun.

v1perz53

There are multiple categories of bad. There are the pokemon that are so bad that you can't help but remember them as a terrible joke. Take this guy:
luvdisc.gif

Now, you can say Luvdisc gets a pass because of heart scale farming, but you can just steal those, no reason to ever catch or actually use a luvdisc.

But then there are the pokemon that are not bad enough that they become a joke, but bad enough that you forget about them forever. How many of you remember or can name this:
lumineon.gif

Is it worse to be hated or forgotten?

Wichu

Wasn't Chansey one of the few things in gen 1 that could stand up to Psychic-types?

Even now, Chansey is one of the stronger Pokémon to use against human opponents. It's basically immune to special attacks, and unlike its evolution Blissey it can take some hard physical hits too.

hemtae

Chansey was used in gen 1 a lot and saw some revival when the eviolite was introduced.

Also I think the smogon NU tier was made for this thread but there's still some fun stuff in there.

Surprised with the Chansey love. I guess Clefairy and Jigglypuff have admirers as well?

Not really as of last gen, but one of those things got a fairy typing I think which should boost usage.

The first thing that came to mind was Toad in Super Mario Bros. 2. Did anyone actually use him?

Edit: I've never played Pokemans.

Espada

Sunkern and Sunflora are complete garbage. I know that not all pokemon should be competitively viable, but these two are crap even in NPC encounters. What the hell possessed GameFreak to make these pokemon so bad?

Chansey might be a good example for single player but in Gen 1 competative it is a monster. I think the world championship was won in the day with a minimise/thunder wave/seismic toss (fixed damage)/softboiled set.

The real gen 1 useless is Onix. That big rock snake has more defence than HP, and has the attacking power of a Jigglypuff...yes, a balloon (Jigglypuff) is as physically strong as Onix (we're talking like base stat 50 here which is pretty weak).

Chansey was a good wall but Blissey took over her role.
Evolite Chansey can be more useful. Some people like attacking Blissey though as it catches people off guard as you expect seismic toss and status.

Chancey has pretty good defense and on of the highest HP on the game, no? It's far from useless.
Special defence yes, physical and well...its HP helps it survive.

Wichu

Sunkern and Sunflora are complete garbage. I know that not all pokemon should be competitively viable, but these two are crap even in NPC encounters. What the hell possessed GameFreak to make these pokemon so bad?

I've used Sunflora on a Trick Sun team before.
it still sucks

Sunkern is also the Pokéathlon God in HG/SS.

Trey

There's the useless in battling terrible like Wigglytuff.

Then there's the Pokemon that look stupid and/or ugly as sin like Trubbish.

Then there's the Pokemon that I don't know the name of - they're that obscure - like that one thinger in gen 3.

GooeyHeat

This thread was destined to backfire as soon as Chansey was called useless. HP for days, son.

Anyway, I'd have to go with Charizard
NO WAIT COME BACK I DIDN'T FINISH
in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The original Pokemon badass, finally playable in Super Smash Bros... and he's really bad and flat-out un-fun to play. He's slow like a power character, except that none of his moves feel powerful.
Charizard's best move in Brawl is his Down-b.
His best move is to replace himself with a better character.

NEO0MJ

Isn't there a held item that works on unevolved Pokemon that makes Chansey a better wall than Blissey? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

The evolite, which gives a 50% boost to a pokemon's defensive stats. Blissey is still considered better as it can hold any item it wants, but Chansey is still considered one of the best walls in the game.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
There are so many Pokemon out there that no sane person used in a fight. Their usefulness vanished as soon as they were in a pokeball and their page in the Pokedex was filled. You could then release them, and no tears would be shed. Some of these Pokemon would not even evolve, cursed to dwell in their awfully sketched/designed bodies for the whole poketernity.

I mean, look at this... thing.

Chansey.gif

Any other garbage (pun intended) Pokemon out there?
http://www.smogon.com/rb/pokemon/chansey
Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 1.5, Tier 2, Tier 1.5.

For reference, there's the following tiers:
Tier 0 (Uber, "Ban List")
Tier 1, Overused
Tier 1.5, Borderline
Tier 2, UnderUsed
Tier 2.5, Borderline2
Tier 3, Rarely Used (Introduced in DP)
Tier 4, Never Used (Introduced in RSE)
+ NFE (Not Fully Evolved that has no discernible reason to be used over it's fully evolved)

Chansey is great.

(My dear Pidgeot who's in the worst tier in every single game: )
Smogon said:
Much like Pikachu, there are very few people who can successfully use Pidgeot save Ash Ketchum.

Top Bottom