• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mahouka |OT| Not the anime we needed, but the anime we deserve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

iMXean9iT5yoi.jpg

+

iby2BzdHPMmDQg.jpg

+

iOmwjRaImJr27.png

------------------------------------------

ireI1HajWYGVF.jpg

Based on the light novel by Tsutomu Sato, The irregular at magic high school is set in a world where magic exists but instead of using chants and spells, magic users cast spells with their Casting Assistant Device (CAD). The CAD is infused with the user’s Psions (a substance-less thought particle) that activates the device and constructs the magic ritual. Derp technobabble herpity derp.

Simulcast on Saturdays 1:00pm CDT

Don't watch this show. But if you do, talk about it here.

Glossary of Technobabble: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Mahouka_Koukou_no_Rettousei:Glossary

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Those two in the middle are brother and sister?

the way they're looking at each other...

haha

Real brother and sister? Or Anime Brother and sister (i.e. brother and sister in all respects for as long as they can recall but find out in the last 3-5 episodes they're not blood related so its totally not gross)

Real brother and sister? Or Anime Brother and sister (i.e. brother and sister in all respects for as long as they can recall but find out in the last 3-5 episodes they're not blood related so its totally not gross)

Real.

Non-spoilerific novel event spoiler :
The sister mentioned that DNA test has always reaffirmed the 'realness' of their relationship.

Yeah, she
desperately wants their relationship to not be 'real' so that she can jump him.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Real.

Non-spoilerific novel event spoiler :
The sister mentioned that DNA test has always reaffirmed the 'realness' of their relationship.

Yeah, she
desperately wants their relationship to not be 'real' so that she can jump him.

So basically you're saying
ALL HANDS ABANDON SHIP

Episode 1: Enrollment Arc Part I
BkeomBhCcAA1i1P.png

I hope people had went into this with expectations grounded as expecting too much would have been fateful when the enrollment arc part flashed on screen. In any event, I consider this the weakest arc in the series as its just introductions and world building, though spiced up by a thrilling performance from Morisaki Shun and his Quick Draw. A few things could have been explained like the families, the different CAD's used (we saw at least three that they zoomed in and focused on but didnt directly state what they were), and such. Perfect adaptation so far and the soundtrack is phenomenal especially with Yakumo and also the initial schools scenes.

Loved the ED clips, cant wait for the Magic School Competition arc and the Crimson Prince and Cardinal George. Tatsuya also didnt need to say it like that.
BkelrvaCIAAEy-f.png

Jex

[Mahouka]- 1

I really have to mention that this series, once it's past the story-dump, basically opens with a scene where a brother and sister are talking and the sister is basically saying how hard she wants her brother to fuck her, why isn't he fucking her right now, and so forth. Except that, as it's an LN, this basically takes the form of the sister talking about amazing the brother is at everything and it features her simpering for affection like an animal. I'm surprised she doesn't die of pleasure when he pats her on the head.

Firehawk would get a kick out of this, I'm sure, as it features sub-SAO quality writing.

helpsbfsef.png

To try and contain the badness to a single thread.

I wouldn't go that far.

Shows like Mahouka are often a 'community experience.' Good, bad or ugly, half the fun is watching it together with everyone else and being entertained by the reception of it,

Verelios

First episode had great choreography, but the actual transition from novel to anime was a little weird. That said, I enjoyed watching it on screen, hated Miyuki's voice to be honest and didn't mind anyone else's VA. Seriously, what was that VA.

First episode had great choreography, but the actual transition from novel to anime was a little weird. That said, I enjoyed watching it on screen, hated Miyuki's voice to be honest and didn't mind anyone else's VA. Seriously, what was that VA.

I had imagined her having a different voice when the first voice clips for her were revealed. I guess I thought she would have sounded maybe a bit deeper voiced potentially.

Wonder how the electron sorceress as well as yotsuba maya.

Been waiting for the show for quite a while, big fan actually.
Sub-SAO writing is quite true in the first arc or so,but it gets better after that. The series have a LOT of infomation btw.
i think you get the point when they showed him blowing up the ship, the MC is fucking OP in a way.

Jex

Been waiting for the show for quite a while, big fan actually.
Sub-SAO writing is quite true in the first arc or so,but it gets better after that. The series have a LOT of infomation btw.
i think you get the point when they showed him blowing up the ship, the MC is fucking OP in a way.
Dresden made a post over in the main anime thread with spoilers about the MC and I couldn't stop laughing. So good. So Gary Stu.

jbug617

Banned
Watched the first episode it was ok and probably going to watch the rest of the series.
That was the MC in the beginning right with the helmet on?

Enron

Banned
I am not going to watch this, but I will continue to read the thread so I can laugh at those who do make the mistake of admitting that they like it and those that watch every episode, and then defend it while swearing up and down that they don't actually like it.

bigkrev

It took me multiple attempts to make it through the first episode. Its that bad.

The incest was just the cherry on top.

O/U 5 weeks before Kotaku starts calling this the Smartest Anime since SAO?

I freaking hate SAO so I went into this anime with the lowest expectations possible. And it wasn't so bad after all.

The incest is annoying but I guess I already saw this kind of shit so many times that I'm immune to it. Besides it, the protag is the most awesome person on earth but for now he isn't showing off a lot. I'm sure it will get worse though.

I'll try to watch more of this anime. If anything, the action sequences are pretty good.

Averon

Tatsuya is ridiculously over-powered compared to the people around him. I've been reading the manga and some spoilers from LN readers, and Tatsuya almost seems like a parody.

Kite

why would anyone subject themselves to this
Who knows, and why do people make threads for shitty anime? There are a dozen or two new shows every season and 90%-ish are pretty mediocre and each don't need their own thread, seems like a waste of space.

Oh and guys, the incest get better/worse as it goes on, i recommend you to bail now if you hate that.
the second arc is where shit gets real, so stick around

Branduil

Why is Cersei Lannister in this?

iOmwjRaImJr27.png

Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama Onii-sama

Enrollment Arc pt2
tumblr_n3xn7lNaJD1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_n3xn7lNaJD1qbxqfpo2_500.png

There were lots of nice little scenes to see animated. A few of the things that I thought hard to visualize from the novel to seeing on the screen were clarified, especially the magic experiment they have to do to test their speed of activating magic to make an object accelerate and decelerate. I didnt know it was a huge floor model device.

Conversation scenes were often hilarious in either the way they were done (erika and the groups awkward silence when she explained her CAD and its engraving spell type feeding psions in a manner similar to helmet splitting followed by Mizuki's comments. Then in the stuco room Mari's lines and Mayumis's, and lastly blushing Hattori.

I think they are still a bit targeting ln readers much with that swift throwing of the heavy magic, little to no explanation of differences between the generalized CADs and specialized ones. Though I thought it was quite well done and pleasing, especially that Silver Horn.

Oh well, character drama and the final two minutes were excellent, kind of wanted it to go a bit further than that but next week should be good
Poor Hattori being wiped out instantly and brutally without any knowledge of what went on :(

Daouzin

I'll be honest, I don't know what Kirito + Cersei means. I don't think the best aspect of SAO is Kirito and Cersei is definitely not the reason to like Game of Thrones so it's a bad pitch.

I really wish SAO had focused on the whole VR being reality angle.

lonely

While the incest pandering is annoying I think what annoys me most about the show is how emotionless Nakamura is in this. I feel like I need to go watch an episode of Tokyo Encounter after every episode of Mahouka to remind myself that the guy is hilarious.
But seriously how did he win that "fight"?
I heard MC was broken but really!?

Branduil

While the incest pandering is annoying I think what annoys me most about the show is how emotionless Nakamura is in this. I feel like I need to go watch an episode of Tokyo Encounter after every episode of Mahouka to remind myself that the guy is hilarious.
But seriously how did he win that "fight"?
I heard MC was broken but really!?

The MC's powers:

>Regrowth - Allows complete recovery of any form of damage/injury. It is not a form of recovery magic; instead, by reverse-reading the records of the Eidos, copying the past information of the target and directly overwriting it, he is able to make the injury "not have existed in the first place".
>Decomposition - Decomposes material into atoms. Has been used by Tatsuya to unarm hundreds of soldiers from their guns at once.
>Material Burst - Decomposes substances into pure energy following E=MC2, almost like an atomic bomb. Actually produces more energy than an atomic bomb, as energy is not lost to collisions between electrons and positrons like in annihilation reactions.
>Elite martial artist by world standard. His physical ninja skills are so impressive people thinks they are spells, when they're just his natural parameters.
>Elite class strategist by world standards
>Incredible speed at releasing magic, elite of the elite by world standards. Can essentially eliminate the buffer time completely
>Nearly unlimited magic supply
>Eyes analyze magic, allows him to cancel spells.
>The worlds greatest magic technology engineer
>His crippling flaws are that he's merely "average" in looks and suffers from weakened emotions, making him the cool badass stoic character. He also is bad at baby tier spells, making people discriminate against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom