• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mahouka |OT| Not the anime we needed, but the anime we deserve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The title sounds like what it would sound like if you were saying "Mahou Shoujo" but started throwing up as soon as you started saying it.

Mahoooooouka.

Is there anyone in the LN's that rival the MC's power or just anyone who poses a threat?

I thought it was numerous characters could pose a threat since many of the top family characters all have their abilities. Yakumo the one he fought at the dojo as well, would probably defeat Tatsuya in several areas, the mother potentially..,

Keep in mind in episode 2 when Tatsuya was incredibly slow at activating the magic, anyone else could potentially be a threat if they were in that regard.

Its not like hes some powerhouse character that faces no threat or anything through the novels. Would kind of make the
regrowth ability posted earlier
seem unnecessary.

Verelios

Is there anyone in the LN's that rival the MC's power or just anyone who poses a threat?
Id say there's around 100 people, some from the hundreds, that he would have a hard time against.

But who can effectively kill him? We're getting into weird territory there. Maybe 10 or 7.

Man is this the current state of anime? I know first episodes don't often leave a good impression, but when it's 100% running down a checklist of fetishized 2-dimensional cardboard cutout characters and does nothing else with its time, like make you laugh or empathize with anybody, then you know you're in for a huge waste of time.

I get the feeling this will be another one of those 'just wait X number of episodes, we promise there's compelling storytelling once you paid your dues at the altar of awful writing!' series.

Mortemis

Banned
I tried out the first episode, and didn't even try to see if it was good or not. I was more interested in counting how many times this girl says onii-sama.

Welp, looks like HxH and Jojo are the only anime I'm keeping up with this season.

Mahouka - 2

So is the hostility between magically proficient and less magically proficient something that pervades the society as a whole? It seems weird to me that even the first year students would be so aggressively against having a brother and sister sit near each other because of the results of a single test, especially if that sort of culture hadn't been exposed to them before that point. At least the argument the Vice Pres. made near the end of the episode seemed to have some merit with the implication that a Course 2 student wouldn't be able to effectively do the job of the position they were offered.

I tried out the first episode, and didn't even try to see if it was good or not. I was more interested in counting how many times this girl says onii-sama.

Welp, looks like HxH and Jojo are the only anime I'm keeping up with this season.

same here,

you should also watch Mushishi

Mortemis

Banned
Okay, so after reading a few posts let me get this straight. The MC is super OP, but the only reason he's not a course 1 student or whatever is that he was too busy learning to be OP instead of learning the basics? The fuck?
same here,

you should also watch Mushishi

It's on my plan to watch someday list, but with the new season out I may bump that up to plan to watch soonish. Also I lied, I'm also watching Haikyuu and captain earth. I'm just trying to pick up less shit this season so I can save myself some time.

Narag

Okay, so after reading a few posts let me get this straight. The MC is super OP, but the only reason he's not a course 1 student or whatever is that he was too busy learning to be OP instead of learning the basics? The fuck?

I think that's his character "flaw." He can do difficult shit easily but can't do easy shit well.

Jex

Man is this the current state of anime? I know first episodes don't often leave a good impression, but when it's 100% running down a checklist of fetishized 2-dimensional cardboard cutout characters and does nothing else with its time, like make you laugh or empathize with anybody, then you know you're in for a huge waste of time.

I get the feeling this will be another one of those 'just wait X number of episodes, we promise there's compelling storytelling once you paid your dues at the altar of awful writing!' series.

I've noticed no-one has answered you question as of yet so I thought I'd share my insight on this.

This particular series is fairly indicative of a type of series, that being the adaptation of very popular Japanese Light Novels (shorter texts aimed at teenagers) into anime. It's not indicative of the entire medium as a whole, just a segment.

It's not that he was learning to be OP, is he ALREADY OP the moment he was born,as he
cannot "change" eidos, but "copy and paste" it. As it stands, the former is "true" magic not the latter.

Oh geeze why does this thread exist and why am I posting in it. First episode is bland as hell and while the incest isn't /that/ bad, it is still cringe worthy.

There are. But that's not really the issue with Mahouka.

Part of the issue with Mahouka is that it's as if Batman and Superman are hanging out with Young Justice instead.

Okay, so after reading a few posts let me get this straight. The MC is super OP, but the only reason he's not a course 1 student or whatever is that he was too busy learning to be OP instead of learning the basics? The fuck? .

There are different types of magicians in the universe and based on what type they are then they can do some magic but are incapable of doing other types of magic, so they cant just learn the other magic they cant or are incapable of doing.

Anime has yet to really discuss that or how he is what he he is though they did throw a line or two as hints.

Mahouka - 02

More boringness but hey there's a fight at the end, should be awesome right?

Lolnope, didn't even last 10 seconds

This particular series is fairly indicative of a type of series, that being the adaptation of very popular Japanese Light Novels (shorter texts aimed at teenagers) into anime. It's not indicative of the entire medium as a whole, just a segment.

I'm probably just resentful because I read synopses of other shows this season and I check out within the first few words

"A hikkikomori NEET is..."

"A brother and his sister..."

"A computer hacker NEET is..."

FUCK.

shawnlreed

I'm enjoying Mahoka so far.
This anime will certainly do the trick tiding me over until SAO 2 starts this summer.
This thread already looks to be flush with manga spoilers which I must resist the urge to look at.
Also, why do all these anime focus so much on incest. At least in SAO they were not actually brother and sister. Here it's full on shameless.
I want to like Anime, but so many shows have creepy shit in them it is getting harder to feel good about watching them.

I want to like Anime, but so many shows have creepy shit in them it is getting harder to feel good about watching them.

Well if your watch list includes SAO and Mahouka then you're probably watching the wrong shows to begin with if you're looking to avoid the incest overtones.

I don't know what shows you typically gravitate to but if you're looking for stuff that's devoid of that kind of thing then maybe check out ...

PingPong
Mushishi Season 2 (and Season 1!)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders

... which are all currently airing this season.

You ain't watching the right shows then. Stay away from the stuff that's obviously meant for kids/14 year olds and stick to titles that are designed to be enjoyed by a slightly older age bracket, like Mushishi, Gargantia, etc.

Well if your watch list includes SAO and Mahouka then you're probably watching the wrong shows to begin with if you're looking to avoid the incest overtones.

I don't know what shows you typically gravitate to but if you're looking for stuff that's devoid of that kind of thing then maybe check out ...

PingPong
Mushishi Season 2 (and Season 1!)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders

... which are all currently airing this season.

Fate/Zero, 0 fanservice, watch it naow

Soriku

I'm enjoying Mahoka so far.
This anime will certainly do the trick tiding me over until SAO 2 starts this summer.
This thread already looks to be flush with manga spoilers which I must resist the urge to look at.
Also, why do all these anime focus so much on incest. At least in SAO they were not actually brother and sister. Here it's full on shameless.

I don't think I've seen a single anime about incest.

I don't know why you're gravitating to those types of shows like SAO and this one, but stop. Lol. This isn't fundamentally an anime problem.

Good anime to watch:

Fate/Zero
Steins;Gate
Kuroko no Basket
One Outs
Kaiji
Gintama
Jojo
Madoka Magica
Attack on Titan
HunterxHunter
Samurai Champloo

Then your typical mainstream stuff if you haven't seen it: Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, One Piece, whatever.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Just watched the first 3 episodes.

Honestly its pretty good, like if you are hate watching this show then you picked the wrong show because it doesn't have anything worth hating.
MC being more overpowered than Batman, Kira Yamato, and Jesus himself combined
is absolutely fantastic.

Except for the sister holy fucccccccccck she is TERRIBLE. Like fucking shit. Right up there with OreImo for most unlikable sister in all of anime.

Needs more Erika. MC finally had a relatively normal conversation with a girl for like the first time all series. Shes clearly the best girl but hes gonna bone his sister in the end because fuck its anime so why not.

tumblr_n4ao4oNqSO1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Calibration for CAD was done in a rather interesting way with the Tatsuya auto skill scene making the scene worth it in the end. Most of the episode felt like a showcase of various types of magic from the psion control enabled via Loop Cast system to the Oscillation Type Close Combat Sonic Blade of the Kenjutsu club.

Animation studio is doing an excellent job in the effects area with the displays and the modern sci fi simulations of the magic for visual explanations to the various particles and coloring employed when magic activated. Its so minor but so impactful for making everything shine in motion.

Oh well finally getting to the decent part of this arc.

OH FFS GUYS WE ALL KNOW EVERYONE WATCHED EPISODE FOUR ADMIT IT ALREADY DAMMIT!

I know I shouldn't watch this yet I do. Please tell me I'm not alone ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom