• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| September 2017 | 25 Years of wearing a smile to work!

Personally, I would recommend Green Lanterns over Hal Jordan. It starts a little slow, but once it hits its stride in issue 6 or so, it never misses a beat. It's also feels like a direct continuation of Johns run, as it not only uses the two Lanterns he created, but explores concepts and characters he introduced towards the end of his run. Johns run on Green Lantern is one of my favorite comic runs of all time, and Green Lanterns fills the void those books have had since he left.

Nightwing is usually a good read, I've been reading in trade and volume 3 (Nightwing Must Die!) was especially great. If you liked the Batgirl of Burnside stuff pre Rebirth, her solo book is still in that vein, just with a different creative team. Batgirl and the Birds of Prey is a fun read that really doesn't try to be anything more than that, it's never going to blow your mind, but it's consistently entertaining to read.

is Nightwing great even if I don't care about Raptor? It's the only thing that's making me hesitate.

tim1138

is Nightwing great even if I don't care about Raptor? It's the only thing that's making me hesitate.

From what I've read so far Raptor hasn't appeared since the first trade. Vol 2 is Dick moving to Bludhaven and Vol 3 is a call back to
Morrison Batman and Robin
. I feel a lot better about Seeley taking over Green Lanterns after reading vol 3 of Nightwing.

From what I've read so far Raptor hasn't appeared since the first trade. Vol 2 is Dick moving to Bludhaven and Vol 3 is a call back to
. I feel a lot better about Seeley taking over Green Lanterns after reading vol 3 of Nightwing.
Humphries and Seeley switching books I would’ve been very afraid of before Rebirth. Now I’m really interested in seeing what they do.

Ah, cool.

my ReedComics order had a bunch of stuff on backorder but I'm slowly starting to collect some Rebirth trades. My only exposure to Humphries pre-Rebirth had been some meme-ified picture from GOTG, but I've really enjoyed his GL run. I can't quite put my finger on it, but its what I wish Venditti's New 52 stuff had been.

duckroll

Legacy is more for setting up future stories rather than being something you just read as a standalone thing. That specific story is probably going to be told in yet to be announced book Jason Aaron is working on rather than an event though.

Wait. There is a real BC Avengers story coming in a book? Damnit I bought the wrong thing then! Argh! :)

Messi

Ah, cool.

my ReedComics order had a bunch of stuff on backorder but I'm slowly starting to collect some Rebirth trades. My only exposure to Humphries pre-Rebirth had been some meme-ified picture from GOTG, but I've really enjoyed his GL run. I can't quite put my finger on it, but its what I wish Venditti's New 52 stuff had been.

His GOTG stuff (Star Lord) was Memeified dribble.

Wait. There is a real BC Avengers story coming in a book? Damnit I bought the wrong thing then! Argh! :)
There isn’t as far as we know. Aaron is probably working on
Wolverine.
All books Marvel wanted to reveal with the launch of the one-shot have been revealed. Guess there could be a bit in his Thor book in the future.

duckroll

There isn't as far as we know. Aaron is probably working on
Wolverine.
All books Marvel wanted to reveal with the launch of the one-shot have been revealed. Guess there could be a bit in his Thor book in the future.

Meh. Marvel sux, etc. :)

(Where is the rest of Hickman's SHIELD?)

ElNarez

Banned
it's already out, except instead they go to the Federal Reserve and some crazy demonic shit happens and okay actually that's just Black Monday Murders but holy shit read this goddamn book it's so good

duckroll

Brevoort recently said they just got the dialogue from Hickman. Hickman has mentioned he's submitted scripts without dialogue to be drawn. I imagine this is what happened. That he submitted the scripts, that Weaver finished drawing them and that Hickman submitted the dialogue just recently.

Yeah but like. 3 years. Man.

For anyone who's up to date on JLA...

Has Orlando gone anywhere with Killer Frost's "redemption"? I remember quite enjoying her one shot at the start of JLA and I hoped to see it develop a bit more as an angle for her character.

Sandfox

We know nothing but if he's on Avengers he won't start until the Summer.

I think Aaron on Avengers is likely and given how No Surrender is releasing the new Avengers stuff will likely be starting in May. He could be working on a mini or something that's coming before then though for all we know.

What’s everyone’s best moment from a comic? Can be from any type of book. Thought it would be a good closer to this thread and a good opener to the next one.

Sandfox

Vic_Viper

What’s everyone’s best moment from a comic? Can be from any type of book. Thought it would be a good closer to this thread and a good opener to the next one.

A lot of Spoilers but:

Batman blasting the AC and breaking out a Mech to fight the Court of Owls.

Batman turning into the Batman of Zur en arr lol

All the dead DC heroes coming back to life as zombies

Angel turning into Apocolypse

Wolverine killing Daken

Cap and Nomad breaking out of Dimension Z

Thor Vs. Apocolypse

Star Lord and Nova Vs. Thanos

God Emperor Doom

I enjoyed the "Bruce Wayne of Earth. RISE" from Blackest Night...

sinestro-vs-hal.jpg

I loved Sinestro and Hal's rivalry...and while you could be cynical and argue that everything ends in a slugfest in comics...with Hal and Sinestro it was always a conflict of ideals, represented by how they wielded great power. So it was a final battle that was most certainly earned. Also the little bit where Sinestro remarks that the tragedy of their relationship is that Hal has always been his friend...

Also the reveal of the Anti Monitor as one of the Heralds of the Sinestro Corps.

OH!

Messi

Ally breaking her arm and Lisa telling Ally that Ally has no friends that she hasn't fucked.

Yeah...

Also

Rachel in Rachel Rising trying to recreate her strangling in her bedroom. That was incredibly creepy and fucked up.

it's already out, except instead they go to the Federal Reserve and some crazy demonic shit happens and okay actually that's just Black Monday Murders but holy shit read this goddamn book it's so good

Black Monday Murders is amazing. New issue was fucking nuts. Glad we finally got to see HIM.

I don't know if anyone watched the last one, but I read ALOUD two more Thor comics. I keep forgetting what voices I use for people though. I've noticed a trend with these Thor stories

SOMETHING HAPPENS
Odin goes to sleep or dies
SOMETHING IS ABOUT TO WIN
Odin awakes/comes back to life and cleans up

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Holy shit, that Drowned art:

is all this dope art from Metal?

is it relatively self-contained? i want to read some bad ass DC stuff

how was that other cross over Monster Men? also self-contained?

i don't want to just keep re-reading The Black Mirror when i want my fix

is all this dope art from Metal?

is it relatively self-contained? i want to read some bad ass DC stuff

It helps to have some prior knowledge of the Multiverse, and there are some references to other things, but I've been fine with mostly just the former. Make sure you pick up the first issues of Metal and the one-shots that are out so far (Red Death and Murder Machine), as the latter are excellent origin stories of the evil Batmen.

I'm enjoying this stuff more than Darkseid War, and I liked that a lot.

jon bones

It helps to have some prior knowledge of the Multiverse, and there are some references to other things, but I've been fine with mostly just the former. Make sure you pick up the first issues of Metal and the one-shots that are out so far (Red Death and Murder Machine), as the latter are excellent origin stories of the evil Batmen.

I'm enjoying this stuff more than Darkseid War, and I liked that a lot.

thanks, maybe i'll read something else Batman-related while i wait for all the issues to come out

what's a good book to read before Metals?

I've read the first 2 volumes of Snyder's N52 run. people are saying those, plus the Death of Hawkman + All-Star Batman 1-9. got any thoughts?

thanks, maybe i'll read something else Batman-related while i wait for all the issues to come out

what's a good book to read before Metals? King's run? I've read the first 2 volumes of Snyder's N52 run.

King's Batman is pretty good so far, but if you wanted something related to Metal then its mainly long term pay off for seeds and t hings hinted at in Snyder's run.

jon bones

King's Batman is pretty good so far, but if you wanted something related to Metal then its mainly long term pay off for seeds and t hings hinted at in Snyder's run.

thanks, maybe i’ll read those 2 joker volumes. can you remember any specific volumes i should read?

thanks, maybe i’ll read those 2 joker volumes. can you remember any specific volumes i should read?

Death of the Family and Endgame are probably the most important. They are the two Joker stories...most of the things are little lines and plot threads, nothing massive. I'll toot this horn till my dying day but if you want a Batman comic with some psychedelic and really pretty art, read Zero Year. Capullo/Glapion + FCO were firing on all cylinders for that one.

Vic_Viper

I'd start from the very beginning with court of owls tbh. Then the first Joker story starts right after. You can skip Zero Year and just pick up with the next Joker arc. Zero Year is great like the above post says but might not be as important to Metal as the rest are. But Court of Owls is pretty important to Metal and is regarded as the best arc of Snyder's run.

Messi

New thread can't be posted because we don't have a title. Horror/Halloween suggestions or whatever works best. Yall have 30 mins or else im naming this something really stupid. Its on you.

tim1138

I dunno if anyone here reads Trinity or even cares, but at some point next year (probably January), James Robinson and Patrick Zircher will be the new creative team.

New thread can't be posted because we don't have a title. Horror/Halloween suggestions or whatever works best. Yall have 30 mins or else im naming this something really stupid. Its on you.

COMICS!!! |OT| October 2017 | Trick or Treat, Harley Sucks. Now give me some candy.

jon bones

Death of the Family and Endgame are probably the most important. They are the two Joker stories...most of the things are little lines and plot threads, nothing massive. I'll toot this horn till my dying day but if you want a Batman comic with some psychedelic and really pretty art, read Zero Year. Capullo/Glapion + FCO were firing on all cylinders for that one.

I'd start from the very beginning with court of owls tbh. Then the first Joker story starts right after. You can skip Zero Year and just pick up with the next Joker arc. Zero Year is great like the above post says but might not be as important to Metal as the rest are. But Court of Owls is pretty important to Metal and is regarded as the best arc of Snyder's run.

awesome i am gonna do a nice Snyder read:

The Black Mirror
New 52, vol 1, 2, 3 & 7
All-Star Batman vol 1, 2

Top Bottom