• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| September 2017 | 25 Years of wearing a smile to work!

Man....my brain just shuts down whenever the Inhumans show up. Like I keep hoping I'm going to find something that will make me give a shit, but I never do. Nothing grinds a story to a halt for me like seeing an Inhuman.

I used to like them just fine, but they've definitely gotten a lot worse over the last few years.

I've been working my way through more Marvel trades after that Amazon sale.

Man....my brain just shuts down whenever the Inhumans show up. Like I keep hoping I'm going to find something that will make me give a shit, but I never do. Nothing grinds a story to a halt for me like seeing an Inhuman.

Hopefully the Priest mini will be good whenever I get to it in my backlog :p

I used to like them just fine, but they've definitely gotten a lot worse over the last few years.

Sort of like Carol?

Sandfox

I've been working my way through more Marvel trades after that Amazon sale.

Black Bolt is a strong book.

I like how the logo for Batman White Knight subtly teases who the real villain likely is

The real villain was the friend we made along the way.

They're not top-lining characters. I contend that some characters - on Marvel, Inhumans, Dr. Strange, and Silver Surfer - work better as a sporadic mini-series rather than ongoing titles. They really strong concepts that require big stories to work and they're weaker by a monthly churn without any overall point.

The real villain was the friend we made along the way.

They're not top-lining characters. I contend that some characters - on Marvel, Inhumans, Dr. Strange, and Silver Surfer - work better as a sporadic mini-series rather than ongoing titles. They really strong concepts that require big stories to work and they're weaker by a monthly churn without any overall point.
Silver Surfer has really felt like a few minis due to the delayed schedule.

That's the way it was traditionally, but they brought the Inhumans front-and-center when the whole fuckery with FOX over the X-Men happened. They wanted to bank on something like the X-Men that they had full control over.

Who’s going to watch Inhumans?

HTTP2kyLmt5bS1jZG4uY29tL3Bob3Rvcy9pbWFnZXMvbmV3c2ZlZWQvMDAwLzgzMC8xMTAvYTI3LmdpZgloglog.gif

Messi

Keep Medusa and Black Bolt so she has someone to fuck with. Kill the rest of them. Not one notable one outside of those.

I also don't treat Kamala as one

I like how the logo for Batman White Knight subtly teases who the real villain likely is

I hate you lol

Mafro

OG Inhumans and Naja from the newer comics are fine. Couldn't care less about any of the others (excluding Ms Marvel)

it's friday and Rogue fucked up again because she is the worst
Incorrect
I want a Crystal book. That's a character with potential.
All-New Inhumans is the closest we're getting. And she really doesn't.
Who’s going to watch Inhumans?
I will. Don't want to, but I gotta know.
How about Gifted
I'm actually excited for this.
Yup. You can even throw in Beta Ray Bill.
You've gone too far

Vic_Viper

How about Gifted
.......。。。。。。。。。。。。

Definetly watching Gifted. Looks to be alot better than the movies but not sure about the choice of characters. Are the 2 main kids Von Struckers or just Struckers lol?

Hi comic gaf! I noticed the rebirth sale on comixology and was wondering if the rebirth GL and Hal series are worth giving it a shot? Fwiw i loooooooved geoff johns run and was wondering if any of the series post him are good?

Also, any of the bat family books are ok? I've read a few batgirl pre-rebirth and it was pretty cool. As a super casual fan nightwing seems somewhat interesting.

kmfdmpig

Hi comic gaf! I noticed the rebirth sale on comixology and was wondering if the rebirth GL and Hal series are worth giving it a shot? Fwiw i loooooooved geoff johns run and was wondering if any of the series post him are good?

Also, any of the bat family books are ok? I've read a few batgirl pre-rebirth and it was pretty cool. As a super casual fan nightwing seems somewhat interesting.

Detective Comics is mostly Bat Family focused and it's pretty great. Nightwing is good as well.

The Green Lanterns series started a bit slow, but became good. Hal Jordan and the GLC is good if you liked the old Green Lantern Corps books, which I did.

VanWinkle

I've heard from several people whose opinion I trust that Hal and the GL is great for GL by Johns fans. The only thing is that I've heard it continues some status changes that happened BETWEEN the end of Johns run and the beginning of the Rebirth series. So you may at least want to just read up on things that happened.

Also, I highly recommend Red Lanterns by Charles Soule and Sinestro by Cullen Bunn. Both are post-Johns and both are GREAT.

For the Bat Family books, Detective Comics, Batman, and Nightwing are great. Don't know anything about Birds of Prey, Batgirl, or Batwoman. People were super excited about Batwoman and don't talk about it much now so it may not be great.

Detective Comics is mostly Bat Family focused and it's pretty great. Nightwing is good as well.

The Green Lanterns series started a bit slow, but became good. Hal Jordan and the GLC is good if you liked the old Green Lantern Corps books, which I did.

I've heard from several people whose opinion I trust that Hal and the GL is great for GL by Johns fans. The only thing is that I've heard it continues some status changes that happened BETWEEN the end of Johns run and the beginning of the Rebirth series. So you may at least want to just read up on things that happened.

Also, I highly recommend Red Lanterns by Charles Soule and Sinestro by Cullen Bunn. Both are post-Johns and both are GREAT.

For the Bat Family books, Detective Comics, Batman, and Nightwing are great. Don't know anything about Birds of Prey, Batgirl, or Batwoman. People were super excited about Batwoman and don't talk about it much now so it may not be great.
Thanks for your help! I guess I'll give Nightwing a try as well. Is there a general consensus on Flash also?

VanWinkle

Thanks for your help! I guess I'll give Nightwing a try as well. Is there a general consensus on Flash also?

I've only read the first fourteen issues. The first arc was too decompressed for my tastes but still good. It's good, though. I've heard that once the rogues got into it it got great but I don't know.

Birds of Prey is a fun series. Nothing outstanding, but just good fun that I'm really liking. I didn't care for Batwoman's first arc, but the beginning of this next arc has immediately shown promise. Going back to the weird horror element that made previous Batwoman so unique and interesting.

duckroll

Marvel Legacy was pretty meh. Are they doing a BC Avengers book or if that just going to be lame backstory another FIGHT GIANT SPACE MONSTER crossover?

Sandfox

Marvel Legacy was pretty meh. Are they doing a BC Avengers book or if that just going to be lame backstory another FIGHT GIANT SPACE MONSTER crossover?

There's not going to be a book focusing on them, but they will be showing up more in the near future.

duckroll

There's not going to be a book focusing on them, but they will be showing up more in the near future.

Lame. I guess getting Marvel Legacy really was a mistake on my part. I just wanted a substantial cool what if story about Stone Age Avengers. Not backstory for a dumb event. :(

Sandfox

Lame. I guess getting Marvel Legacy really was a mistake on my part. I just wanted a substantial cool what if story about Stone Age Avengers. Not backstory for a dumb event. :(
Legacy is more for setting up future stories rather than being something you just read as a standalone thing. That specific story is probably going to be told in yet to be announced book Jason Aaron is working on rather than an event though.

Messi

Holy shit, Elephantmen is ending at #80. Only two more issues. :(

You don't have a December list yet but I had totally picked this for you already.

Read through the first volume of Lazarus at the library today, and damn got hooked.

It gets better and then it got heavily delayed in the most recent arc because of the artist leading to the current year long hiatus where Rucka is doing a mini series with other artists.

Great book tho.

tim1138

Personally, I would recommend Green Lanterns over Hal Jordan. It starts a little slow, but once it hits its stride in issue 6 or so, it never misses a beat. It's also feels like a direct continuation of Johns run, as it not only uses the two Lanterns he created, but explores concepts and characters he introduced towards the end of his run. Johns run on Green Lantern is one of my favorite comic runs of all time, and Green Lanterns fills the void those books have had since he left.

Nightwing is usually a good read, I've been reading in trade and volume 3 (Nightwing Must Die!) was especially great. If you liked the Batgirl of Burnside stuff pre Rebirth, her solo book is still in that vein, just with a different creative team. Batgirl and the Birds of Prey is a fun read that really doesn't try to be anything more than that, it's never going to blow your mind, but it's consistently entertaining to read.

So, I periodically get asked about Blue Beetle, and now that Giffen's run is over I thought I'd give my thoughts on BB Rebirth thus far:

MISTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE

Such an awful run. First, Giffen threw out Jaime's principle villains by changing his origin. Now he's a Doctor Fate spinoff. This isn't necessary unworkable (although the Reach are a hell of a thing to lose), but the incredibly poor panel-to-panel writing made it come off even worse than it had to. Giffen turned in some astoundingly poor stuff. Furthermore, it became increasingly clear that while he might be contracted to write a Blue Beetle series, Giffen would much prefer to be doing any number of other things, such as Doctor Fate, OMAC, and of course JL3K. Ah, JL3K. How you devoured this book. Having Teri was a fun nod. Then they brought in JL3K Batgirl and I was like "okay this could work." But then everything became JL3K, topping out in this issue where
Jaime and Teri get dragged into the future, spend some time with the League (primarily focused on everybody BUT the title character of the book, mind), find out that, no shit, the main villain we left JL3K1 with was LA DAMA. Or rather, La Dama was Lady Styx, because apparently she's actually a millennia old lunatic even in present day El Paso.
So that's BOTH of Jaime's big antagonists Giffen elected to take away. Fucker.

It's been a train wreck from page 1 and I am unbelievably glad that they're prying the book out of Giffen & DeMattis' hands. I can only hope that it's not too late for Christopher Sebela to salvage things.

caliph95

First is Saga 44-47

Don't know why I'm always behind this book but still enjoy it and the suffering of the characters

Do like the background we get on the small will and his sister
too bad she's dead
and another faction hunting the family down

And abortion debate yay

And unexpected romances

Chilling Sabrina 1-6

Don't know why it took me so long to read this, not surprised this is the same writer as Afterlife with Archie. The horror elements really cone here in the more dark reimagining.

Also cameo by
Veronica and Betty
who are witches now. Which is kinda hilarious in it's own way

Top Bottom