• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the New World 1-25

The low budget was a bummer but what they did with what they had was amazing. Best anime I've seen in a good while.

Link Man

Banned
Only 2 episodes in, but it would seem I'm the only one annoyed by the format for Seki-kun. At least they're short enough to avoid outstaying their welcome, but I can see myself getting bored of it.

Narag

Only 2 episodes in, but it would seem I'm the only one annoyed by the format for Seki-kun. At least they're short enough to avoid outstaying their welcome, but I can see myself getting bored of it.

Format is great and evocative of old Looney Tunes stuff where the familiar characters get together for the central gag then are gone after 6-7 minutes.

Jarmel

Banned
That's what we thought about Kill la Kill too, and I think it outperformed expectations. Dandy has another advantage too - it's going to air across two non-consecutive seasons. So by the time it ends it'll be October - just 3 months before the voting starts. As a big show which aired at the start of the year and ended near the end of the year, and having more exposure than the usual show, unless the rest of the series totally tanks, I think it'll be a pretty major contender.

So Space Dandy is a split cour. The second half will air in the summer?

Kansoku

I wonder if a Nichijou style Seki-kun would work or not. Based on the first 4 episodes I think it would get boring fast, but ep 5 brought some refreshing changes that makes me think.

Kino's Journey 6

So I started watching this show about a month ago, then stopped for a little while and just now got back to it. I like the show well enough, it feels like Homer's Odyssey or The Voyage of the Dawn Treader in that it's more about world building, in a world where nothing is consistent. It's always introducing something new, but due to that, it feels like there's no overarching plot, no direction. Because of this, it feels like a show to put on the back burner, something to watch when there's nothing else I want to watch.

As for this episode, it does flesh out Kino's character a bit, and I'm looking forward to seeing the resolution next episode.

Maybe episodic shows just aren't your thing then. Personally I find the format to be refreshing, the entire notion of just picking up your backpack and essentials and just going off to explore the world the creators have crafted without any need or focus on the pretenses that motivated the journey to begin with is just something that sincerely appeals to me.

Hattori

Banned
Damn at all the gnashing of teeth over KLK getting 2nd place.

Where's that Cartman drinking tears gif when you need it?

I think this will be more than adequate...
d9kLjBY.png

Recently My Little Sister has Been Unusual 1-5

This show is perverted as hell but it's also funny and has interesting characters and situations. Enjoying it a lot.

JoeFu

Banned
I recently got Summer Wars and Wolf Children off amazon and watched them over this weekend. Both movies are really awesome.

I think if I knew more about Hanafuda cards the whole gambling part might have had more impact, but still it was really enjoyable. I found it funny that anyone from anywhere not Japan would be shouting out Koi Koi as if they knew what the hell she was doing, It's like if a movie had Texas Hold'em as the climax and someone from Taiwan was watching it... But still awesome movie.

Wolf Children was really really good. With everybody gushing at how great it was it didn't disappoint.

Has Mamoru Hosoda said anything about his next project/movie or anything? This guy is awesome.

I loved the girl who leapt through time but I thought summer wars was terrible. The story, though pretty unique, never managed to pull me in.

AOTY whatsits:
  1. Only two votes for Hidamari special including myself: SMH here there and everywhere
  2. The two actually good shows with Miyukichi in them are too low! (RIP Rozen Maiden)

Jex

I'm just swinging by to point out that doubters:

Jexhius said:
With the speed at which Yamato is picking up new adherents it actually now has a shot in the AOTY voting. Huzzah!
Shard said:
I would not go that far. Hell, not even the best old property in a new skin of the year.
Have been struck down! All hail Yamato 2199!

789shadow

Banned
Tonari no Seki-kun has it's short length going for it, almost everyone watches it because of that.

It's length is also it's biggest obstacle in AOTY voting.

Hapiness charge Precure - 01
i'm actually surprised
This really feel like a 10th anniversary serie , because it reuse very well most of the best things from the previous seasons .. i hope that it won't make the serie predictable ...but so far it's very entertaining , and that's including everything.

For me , as a long time fan , it looks like they too the heartcatch template , shuffled things a bit , a bit of futari wa , a bit of dokidoki , a small bit of suite and served me this meal ..
The meal is so far delicious.

Magnifique mention to the Ed that is of a much higher budget than before .. after all this time maybe toei managed to have Cg precure that doesn't look that bad .

The fairies are quite good so far , i like it.
The setting seems very intresting with the precure being common place from the get go
The transformation are alright , i do get some very strong aikatsu vibes however.

Overall , very strong first episode , can't wait for the handholding and the dual attack next episode .

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's not about the length, but what you do with it.

Kazzy

[Kill la Kill - 16]

aDfSxok.jpg

You know what? The reveal is silly, and it kind of betrays the original intent of the show, essentially rendering the majority of what proceeded this pointless, but at least it establishes a clear framework for how the rest of the season is going to go.
Once the initial fervor surrounding “who killed my dad” was solved, Kill la Kill didn’t really seem to have much (or any) focus, essentially having the characters stuck in the same motions, bearing the same motivations, even thought the circumstances should have really developed beyond that point.

Yup, that bath scene was unneeded and completely lacking in any sort of justification. A very neat encapsulation of the puerile sensibilities that KLK exhibits, and continues to execute upon tactlessly. Its one thing to do things tongue in cheek – it’s another to be purposefully voyeuristic.

I loved the girl who leapt through time but I thought summer wars was terrible. The story, though pretty unique, never managed to pull me in.

I think Summer Wars is the most polarizing of Hosoda's movies. I thought it is his weakest movie although I still enjoyed it. Wolf Children and Girl Who Leapt Through Time are fantastic.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'm just swinging by to point out that doubters:

Have been struck down! All hail Yamato 2199!

Well, if you paid attention to my voting, I did give it the number one nod. Also, I would have voted Gundam Build Fighters over Yamato 2199 had it finished.

Did they change the day of the week that Magi is on? There were two episodes put up on CR last week, and now I notice there isn't a new one today.

Link Man

Banned
Maybe episodic shows just aren't your thing then. Personally I find the format to be refreshing, the entire notion of just picking up your backpack and essentials and just going off to explore the world the creators have crafted without any need or focus on the pretenses that motivated the journey to begin with is just something that sincerely appeals to me.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the show and experience. It's just that I feel that it's a show that I can take at my own pace.

cnet128

Banned
Noragami 5

Oh god, the poor dead little girl D: I am a massive sucker for that kind of thing.

Also, Hiyori,
inviting Yukine to get in bed with you? Seriously? That takes a level of obliviousness even greater than most harem protags.

jgminto

Not super happy about KlK being so high on the list, I was expecting AoT but not that. Other than that it was pretty good though. Jojo in the top 10 so I'm happy. Will get number 1 this year!

Wizard Barristers - 04

The cliffhanger on this episode didn't really do anything for me, though that's more than likely due to it being focused on a character that's had next to no development since the beginning of the series. I'm still a bit disappointed that the legal proceedings aren't the thing in this show that's given the majority of the focus though. I feel like a show like this should be carried on the back of the logic and intuition of the characters involved and the magic would take a backseat to that so the revelation that
Cecil was putting herself in danger
being revealed through some magical shenanigans vs. looking at any sort of prior event and drawing a conclusion left a bad taste in my mouth.

A solid episode for Shounen Magic War, a disappointing one for Magical Ace Attorney. I guess I have to re-tune my expectations for this one.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hataraku Maou-sama 1

It's inoffensive so far with some decent comic timing and interplay complemented by solid production values. I don't buy how quickly Maou is "broken" by his new environment given that he's supposed to be death and evil incarnate (and, as such, he really shouldn't even be capable of exhibiting so much humanity so quickly) but I guess it works as a way to underscore just how utterly powerless he is without any of the resources he's used to having at his disposal. More than anything, it all really just made me want a cheeseburger.

Happiness Charge Precure! 1
ieDMUoyDZbBfd.jpg
ibzAuXwo2ro5tg.jpg

BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWS.
Having an awesome feeling about this being the first Precure I watches while it airs because I loved every second of it. Hime is the hnnnnnnnnnnnnng and Megumi is genki as fuck and they play off of each other so well. Also I haven't seen a decent minion fight in a while since I'm watching Smile atm, so I hope this brings in a good amount of them. Fuck this is good.

Happiness status: CHAAAAAAAAAAAAARGED.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Hataraku Maou-sama 1

It's inoffensive so far with some decent comic timing and interplay complemented by solid production values. I don't buy how quickly Maou is "broken" by his new environment given that he's supposed to be death and evil incarnate (and, as such, he really shouldn't even be capable of exhibiting so much humanity so quickly) but I guess it works as a way to underscore just how utterly powerless he is without any of the resources he's used to having at his disposal. More than anything, it all really just made me want a cheeseburger.

Nobody can resist Maoudonalds.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Golden Time 16

HOLY FUCKING SHIT yo what the fuck, you're not gonna defend Koko?! FUCK ALL YOU GUYS AND FUCK
HER DAD EVEN MORE. YOU JUST HIT YOUR KID LIKE THAT AND YOU JUST PLAY IT OFF, YOU FUCKING SCUM. Is this just a normal thing in Japan because holy shit.

This was a pretty adorable episode, though. The second half was amazing.

Sakura Trick 4

Still crazy cute.

Kill la Kill 16

BEST RECAP EVER

Awesome new OP, hell yeah.

this bath scene >.>

What an epic info dump. This second half of the series is gonna be sick. I can't wait for the finally.

New ED is bad, but rightly features and adorable as fuck Mako in her rightful place as star of the show.

Space☆Dandy 5

Ho75Zbg.png

WHO PUT ALL THESE FEELS IN MY COMEDY ANIME

Pupa 4

A surprising amount of exposition here, at least by Pupa standards. Basically no horror here, though.

Tonari no Seki-kun 5

Hahaha, Seki, get fucked.

wonzo

Banned
OK folks, here are the AnimeGAF-filtered results:

TV top 10:

1. Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 520
2. The Eccentric Family - 313
3. The Flowers of Evil - 269
4. Kill la Kill - 257
5. Gundam Build Fighters - 215
6. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - 207
7. Monogatari S2 - 167
8. Hataraku Maou-sama - 165
9. From the New World - 149
10. Kyousougiga - 143

11-20:

11. Attack on Titan - 128
12. Love Lab - 123
13. Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta - 121
14. Valvrave the Liberator - 119
15. Non Non Biyori - 118
16. Suisei no Gargantia - 103
17. Log Horizon - 101
18. Rozen Maiden Zuruckspulen - 97
19. Girls und Panzer - 94
20. Hunter x Hunter - 87

Movie/OVA 1-3:

1. The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki - 130
2. Little Witch Academia - 88
3. The Garden of Words - 30

4-6:

4. Gintama: Be Forever Yorozuya - 23
5. Blue Exorcist movie - 18
6. Gundam Unicorn - 14
ugh this list really isn't much better. rip animegaf

pourin40.jpg

cnet128

Banned
Buddy Complex 5

Nice imouto. Nice crewmates. Nice coupling.

Could really do with some more development on the Hina front sometime soon though. I want to see Hina or Aoba or Dio end up a prisoner of the other side somehow, so we can have actual interaction between them beyond "HINA IT'S ME DON'T YOU REMEMBER" "DEATH TO ENEMIES OF ZOGILIA" "STOP THAT WATASE AOBA SHE'S THE ENEMY" etc etc. That or contrive to have the three of them stranded together on a deserted island or something idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom