• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Bay confirms that Transformers: Age of Extinction leads into a new trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpsepyre

Banned
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/12/age-of-extinction-will-begin-new-trilogy-of-transformers-films?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

---

Director Michael Bay has announced that the fourth Transformers film, Transformers: Age Of Extinction, will kick off a new trilogy for the popular Hasbro brand.

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, the director explained, “It’s kind of like a new Transformers. We had three, the first trilogy, and this is going to be the next one... I’m not necessarily sure that I’m doing [the others], but that’s what it’s meant for.”

Considering that the previous film, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, grossed the highest of the initial trilogy at $1.1 billion worldwide -- putting the franchise as a whole at $2.6 billion globally -- it's no wonder that the powers that be want to keep the Transformers Astrotrain chugging along.

-------

Someone shoot me and my childhood dreams.

Dreaver

I'm probably in the minority... but how more Transformer movies how happier I am. Loving the first trilogy though it has it flaws and I can understand why it is getting so much hate.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Well, they're terrible, terrible movies, but they make tons of money and basically guarantee Transformers will be around for decades to come. Michael Bay may make vapid and insulting drivel, but it's nothing but good for the brand in the long run.

Raptor

If they continue to have incredible robot action then I see no problem.

At least Marky Mark is better than "nonononononoo labauf"

Carbonox

It's a ginormous money machine, it will never go away.

Fortunately, I'm fine with that. I enjoyed the first and third films. Barring like two fight scenes, the second was dogshit though.

Looking forward to the new one.

jadedm17

On a related topic, anyone have a link to that article on the - I wanna say like 200 - reasons why Dark of the Moon was the worst movie ever made? It was such a great read and helped me understand why people really hate the incoherent mess that is the Transformers trilogy.

I love mindless action but now that Michael Bay has got his dirty claws all over Ninja Turtles I have to admit I can see how frustrating watching this guy make anything with a story truely is. He makes great popcorn flicks but shits over everything else to do it.

Corpsepyre

Banned
On a related topic, anyone have a link to that article on the - I wanna say like 200 - reasons why Dark of the Moon was the worst movie ever made? It was such a great read and helped me understand why people really hate the incoherent mess that is the Transformers trilogy.

I love mindless action but now that Michael Bay has got his dirty claws all over Ninja Turtles I have to admit I can see how frustrating watching this guy make anything with a story truely is. He makes great popcorn flicks but shits over everything else to do it.

The third one was worse than that ungodly abomination that was the second? I did walk out of the third one, but man, sitting through the second wad torture or the highest order. I feel bad for giving them my money and being partially responsible for these sequels.

CronoShot

The first movie is tolerable. In fact, I would even say somewhat enjoyable, if only for the novelty of it.

The other two were complete shit.

Slayven

Which canon?

everyone.gif

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The third one was worse than that ungodly abomination that was the second? I did walk out of the third one, but man, sitting through the second wad torture or the highest order. I feel bad for giving them my money and being partially responsible for these sequels.

The third one is really bad but for different reasons. The second is an unfocused, underwritten, chaotic, nonsensical and frankly insulting disaster of a film. The third is an overplotted, bloated, plodding mess that culminated in psychotic behavior on the part of the main hero robot. The second one probably edges the third out as worse in my book, because it's almost like they just threw a bunch of scenes together and said "Whatever, these idiots won't even notice." The third felt like a more earnest attempt to make something with an actual narrative, but failed on totally different terms than the second.

I dunno, I go back and forth on them on which is the worst. It's like some kind of quantum superposition thing. Almost depends what day it is.

Corpsepyre

Banned
The third one is really bad but for different reasons. The second is an unfocused, underwritten, chaotic, nonsensical and frankly insulting disaster of a film. The third is an overplotted, bloated, plodding mess that culminated in psychotic behavior on the part of the main hero robot. The second one probably edges the third out as worse in my book, because it's almost like they just threw a bunch of scenes together and said "Whatever, these idiots won't even notice." The third felt like a more earnest attempt to make something with an actual narrative, but failed on totally different terms than the second.

I dunno, I go back and forth on them on which is the worst. It's like some kind of quantum superposition thing. Almost depends what day it is.

This just explained the several reasons, though there are a lot more, as to why these movies are a plague. Thank you sir

As shitty as the movies are It would cut my dislike of these movies in half if they started making the Transformers big square blocky behemoths like this.

eCMcyFb.jpg

Instead of the confusing mess of vaguely humanoid space knifes that we got. Their movie designs just confuse the hell out of me.

Fox Mulder

I hate the movies, but wish he went back to making regular movies. Stuff like the rock, bad boys, even pain and gain were great.

he's instead shitting up transformers and tmnt to sell toys.

It's always funny to see the pure angst that these movies cause people.

Yet they all end up taking their money to the theater to watch them anyway.

Really sad, if true. I wish kids these days would just watch the 1986 movie to see how much of a badass he was.

I can't understand why they can't form a decent script out of this mythology considering the studio and the likes of Spielberg. Yes it's robots fighting but you can have charm, good dialogue and decent character development, if anything it would make the action feel even more "badass".

Corpsepyre

Banned
I can't understand why they can't form a decent script out of this mythology considering the studio and the likes of Spielberg. Yes it's robots fighting but you can have charm, good dialogue and decent character development, if anything it would make the action feel even more "badass".

Robots with an ounce of personality would add a lot too. I can't tell which robot is which, and not just because of the horrible designs.

G-Fex

Well, they're terrible, terrible movies, but they make tons of money and basically guarantee Transformers will be around for decades to come. Michael Bay may make vapid and insulting drivel, but it's nothing but good for the brand in the long run.

yeah it'll keep making money so long as they want it to. I see no real sign of fatigue setting in.

Robots with an ounce of personality would add a lot too. I can't tell which robot is which, and not just because of the horrible designs.

It's funny you mention the 86 movie previously, I wore the VHS tape out I watched it that much as a kid. My 6 year old nephew loves it too with Galvatron, Prime & Unicron his favourites.

Corpsepyre

Banned
It's funny you mention the 86 movie previously, I wore the VHS tape out I watched it that much as a kid. My 6 year old nephew loves it too with Galvatron, Prime & Unicron his favourites.

Tell me about it. My old VHS was worn out in the end as well. I would watch it two-three times a week. Maybe more. The day I saw the movie on a shelf, in the form of a DVD, I was the happiest I have ever been. I finally had the movie in a format that will look and sound exactly the same years from purchase.

NYR94

Michael Bay is hoping to double the number of American flags in each shot with each subsequent film in the new trilogy.

Tell me about it. My old VHS was worn out in the end as well. I would watch it two-three times a week. Maybe more. The day I saw the movie on a shelf, in the form of a DVD, I was the happiest I have ever been. I finally had the movie in a format that will look and sound exactly the same years from purchase.

I have the Blu Ray, looks great, full screen not widescreen. I don't know if it's available in the US but it's been here in the UK since around 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom