• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I being irrational? [Relationship-GAF]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Livejournal entry incoming.

Bit of background. My wife and I don't really have many overlapping circles of friends...namely, I barely have any and she has quite a few. One of those friends is a dude she met through a female friend. Used to be she'd hang out with that group but recently she's just hanging out with that guy and hasn't seen the other members of the group in weeks. They'll meet up for drinks once a week, usually on Mondays. My wife says the guy's little brother usually accompanies them. Often she'll stay out til 1AM drinking at the guy's house.She's not incommunicado at this time - we exchange texts and she tells me what they're doing, usually playing games and drinking.

Needless to say this situation isn't exactly typical. Right? Re: the recent "Can men and women be friends?" thread, I'm of the belief that they can, so long as they respect each other's boundaries. My rational self tells me there's nothing wrong with this, and that I'm being petty and insecure when I question it. I've never accused my wife of cheating on me, never even suggested it to her, but I have mentioned that her friendship with this guy makes me feel a little insecure. I trust her implicitly, and treat my own suspicion and insecurity as a personal obstacle to overcome. It's not always easy. Sometimes it's pretty damn hard, but I'm doing it.

Anyway, fast forward to today. We're staying at her parents' house. She had to run to work for an hour or so to do inventory, and before doing so she pulled up her Facebook account (which was logged on, with messages to this aforementioned male friend visible...nothing incriminating of course, just friendly exchanges). She logs out of her Facebook account and tells me if I want to check mine on her personal computer here that I'm welcome to do so. I feel like she hesitates for a second after logging off and seems indecisive over whether she wants to erase her password from the text entry or not. Ultimately she doesn't and leaves.

So here I am. First thing, I would never, ever in a million years sift through my wife's messages looking for proof that she's cheating on me - that's not me. But no matter how I try to spin it, I can't help but feel like she logged off of her account so that I didn't accidentally stumble across something I wasn't supposed to see, and the only reason she didn't erase her password was because of how suspicious it'd look. I mean, if she wanted me to be able to check my Facebook I could have logged off myself, right? I must repeat, I don't think she's cheating on me. Perhaps there was something there that could be easily misconstrued? Perhaps they flirt a little like some opposite sex friends do when no one's looking?

I don't know. And I'm trying my damndest not to care, but that's really hard right now. So back to my original question. On a scale of 1 to 10, how irrational am I being right now? Am I letting my own insecurity get to me or is there legitimate reason for concern here? If the former, how do I just let go and forget about it? If the latter, do I bring it up with her, try to talk about it? What if it's nothing, and all it accomplishes is making her feel like I don't trust her?

Anyway...she gets off work in a bit and we're going to spend the day together, so if I don't respond it's not that I abandoned the thread. I'm just seeking some wisdom here.

Oh he's the replacement boyfriend.

Alright, fine, I'll be legit. I have a ton of friends that are girls. That's how I've been all my life. My girlfriend, from time to time, hates it, because I'll stay out till 11 with them and drink, sometimes alone, but they are like my sisters.

On that side of things, because I feel that it's completely rational to suspect something is up (trust is never 100 percent between people), my girlfriend can log into my messages and look at my shit at any time. I hide nothing from her. They even meet, quite a bit actually, so it's not like I never invite my girlfriend out. Plus, I'm always texting her during the event.

Just have a normal conversation with her about this. So long as you aren't a dick, I'm sure she'd be okay with a conversation so long as it doesn't head into accusatory areas.

Livejournal entry incoming.

Bit of background. My wife and I don't really have many overlapping circles of friends...namely, I barely have any and she has quite a few. One of those friends is a dude she met through a female friend. Used to be she'd hang out with that group but recently she's just hanging out with that guy and hasn't seen the other members of the group in weeks. They'll meet up for drinks once a week, usually on Mondays. My wife says the guy's little brother usually accompanies them. Often she'll stay out til 1AM drinking at the guy's house.She's not incommunicado at this time - we exchange texts and she tells me what they're doing, usually playing games and drinking.

What the hell, man? That is unacceptable.

You should accompany her out. If she wants you there, she'll let you know. Quick answer to a really, really uncomfortable question.

I don't think you're over-reacting at all. I'd be sketched out if my wife was hanging out exclusively with a male friend and drinking until 1 am too.

No you're not being irrational at all imo.
You should talk to her. A nice long sit down. She's your wife and if you're not comfortable with her staying out and drinking with a guy friend she should be able to respect that and stop.

Clockwork

Used to be she'd hang out with that group but recently she's just hanging out with that guy and hasn't seen the other members of the group in weeks

Warning sign.

Often she'll stay out til 1AM drinking at the guy's house.

This isn't normal.

Do you ever get an invite? If so, why not?

I believe in having your own free time to do as you please, but if this is common it seems a bit strange.

Cudder

The fact that she has a schedule with this guy (every Monday drinking and playing games until 1am?) is worrisome to me. Seriously, what the fuck is that? Tell her it makes you uncomfortable.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I trust my wife fully but would not enjoy it if she was at some guy's house drinking until 1AM on a weekly basis. Your feelings are normal.

You should accompany her out. If she wants you there, she'll let you know. Quick answer to a really, really uncomfortable question.

I don't think you're over-reacting at all. I'd be sketched out if my wife was hanging out exclusively with a male friend and drinking until 1 am too.

She has invited me out before, but since Mondays are work nights for me that's proven difficult. Important point is there's a standing invitation there that I have not yet chosen to accept. She's says I'd like him if I met him. In fact she's described the guy as an alcoholic loser, albeit a nice alcoholic loser. Is this how one talks about a secret liason? It doesn't feel that way.

Why aren't you out with them? Do you work night shift or something?
Yes.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
What are you doing when she is drinking with a man at his house at 1am?

Yeah this was my first thought as well. Overlapping group of friends is one thing but straight up NOT GOING with your wife to a thing she likes to do is another.

Is there an obligation that you have or something?

Because you should just be like, "hey how about I come along this time and you can introduce me to your buddies!"

if she is the tiniest bit apprehensive this is cause for alarm

Never mind just saw your post above

akira28

Posting on GAF.

cold. blooded.

truth is, it's hard to tell. I've met "the guy" before. Hung out with him. Didn't suspect a thing till I read diary entries about her "falling for him". And I was the liberal minded, trusting guy, hey yeah you two go hang out. They would go out and play pool at a local bar, and he'd even come by and drink and hang out with us. So, you never can tell.

and it's just me, but I wouldn't give a fuck to check my Facebook while I'm out of town. Some people can be friends, but biology is a thing too.

Camp Lo

Banned
It's not irrational at all. That's your wife. Tell her exactly how you feel, no matter how silly you might think it is.

Drinking with another guy alone at his house at 1am? That is something I would not tolerate one bit. I would view that as very disrespectful to my wife and vice versa in reverse. I take it you do not have children? Good luck, I think you're going to need it.

andycapps

What the hell, man? That is unacceptable.

Uh yeah. If you're married and don't have an open relationship, you don't go drinking alone with someone of the opposite sex at their house. Multiple times a week. At night.

Also OP, how's your sex life? Serious question.

It's not irrational at all. That's your wife. Tell her exactly how you feel, no matter how silly you might think it is.

I have told her it makes me feel jealous and she has offered to stop hanging out with him entirely if I asked her to. I don't want to be that guy. I told her it makes me feel insecure but that's a problem I have to handle on my own. I don't want her feeling trapped by me.

Why aren't you out with them? Do you work night shift or something?
According to her they're never alone, the guy's brother is there as well. I have no reason to believe she's lying.

ronito

She has invited me out before, but since Mondays are work nights for me that's proven difficult. Important point is there's a standing invitation there that I have not yet chosen to accept. She's says I'd like him if I met him. .
She wants the D...P.
QiOPt.gif

She has invited me out before, but since Mondays are work nights for me that's proven difficult. Important point is there's a standing invitation there that I have not yet chosen to accept. She's says I'd like him if I met him. In fact she's described the guy as an alcoholic loser, albeit a nice alcoholic loser. Is this how one talks about a secret liason? It doesn't feel that way.

Yes.

You haven't met him? That is not a good sign. The fact that she slags him can be a way to manipulate you to let your guard down.

potam

Banned
Did she leave her FB logged in before? One of the biggest red flags that my ex-wife threw at me was putting a password on her phone (I'm not sure if she changed her FB habits as well). As much as it sucks, if she's suddenly acting as if she's hiding something from you, she probably is; and I'm not taking that stance just from my own experience, but the hundreds of similar stories I've read online.

Plus her suddenly becoming buddy buddy with a friend of a friend? Who's a guy? Staying out drinking without you til 1AM? The fuck on.

Sorry OP, if something does not sound right, it probably isn't right.

You must talk to her about this, make sure that she understands how you feel. But of course do it in a way with tact, but don't be a walkover because if she does have something going on, she may lie.

How often is she drinking with him anyway?

I have told her it makes me feel jealous and she has offered to stop hanging out with him entirely if I asked her to. I don't want to be that guy. I told her it makes me feel insecure but that's a problem I have to handle on my own. I don't want her feeling trapped by me.

She's hanging out with a guy till the late hours of the night, at his house, drinking, and you guys are married.

Maybe figure out a time where you all can hang instead of just him and your wife, drinking, at the late hours of the night, when she doesn't keep in much contact...

You haven't met him? That is not a good sign. The fact that she slags him can be a way to manipulate you to let your guard down.

I could meet him whenever I wanted to - that's on me, not her.

Did she leave her FB logged in before? One of the biggest red flags that my ex-wife threw at me was putting a password on her phone (I'm not sure if she changed her FB habits as well). As much as it sucks, if she's suddenly acting as if she's hiding something from you, she probably is; and I'm not taking that stance just from my own experience, but the hundreds of similar stories I've read online.

Plus her suddenly becoming buddy buddy with a friend of a friend? Who's a guy? Staying out drinking without you til 1AM? The fuck on.
This is the first time she's logged off of her account. Though I should repeat that she left the password sitting there. I could have logged in from there just fine. I'm trying to decide if I'm just imaging shit here.

Anfony O

Definitely not normal she's out with this guy till 1AM. Your suspicious feelings are in place. I really suggest you speak to her about some of the limits that are naturally imposed in a relationship. One of them should definitely be no foreign dick with alcohol alone in the same room.

There are so many times in the OP where I said "FUCK NO." Outloud.

Jesus OP. You have enough red flags for a high school color guard team.

.GqueB.

Banned
A little curious why she isn't taking any steps to include you on her friendly nights out especially since you don't seem to have many friends of your own. Doesn't seem suspicious. Just odd.

But I don't think she's cheating personally but I bet they've said some flirty things to each other. I did this during my last relationship. They likely haven't had any overt sexual conversations but they've probably said some things jokingly (or not) that she wouldn't want you to see which could explain the hesitation. That was her searching around in her head trying to remember if anything like that has come up.

That's my take on it. But I'm only basing it on past experiences so I could be dead wrong.

On one hand I think it's completely fair that you feel uncomfortable with the situation

On the other I don't think she's necessarily doing something wrong. My girlfriend hangs out with her guy friends alone sometimes too and I think nothing of it. Not at the frequency your wife is though. I sometimes hang out with one of my female friends alone pretty late into the night too, I'm not doing anything either.

Talk to her about it. Voice your concern but don't be antagonistic about it. I see no reason why she wouldn't talk to you about it and explain what is or is not going on.

Coins

Banned
I'm going to assume you guys haven't been married long? Drinking until 1 am is what she's supposed to be doing with you, making memories with her husband. Not some dude.

Goliath

Not sure why she is hanging out with this dude drinking and playing games at his house without you? What, you don't like to drink and play video games with other guys?

I mean I get it when girls go out with their girl-friends and have a girls night out and I get why guys avoid that. The same with guys nights. What I don't get is why she has to hang out with this dude alone.

My wife and I are trusting and at least I am not the jealous type but I still don't think it's cool for her to hang out with a dude by herself and chill at his crib till 1am. Drinking and playing games is something that we can do together, not something that she should be doing with some other dude.

I think these kind of relationships lend themselves to things going wrong. Guys and gals hanging out together alone bonding and drinking alcohol. I would not be surprised if something happens, initiated by either one. These things just look bad and cause people to talk which is not so bad now but when kids get involved could be.

You have to talk to her about it, friend. It's a pretty vague situation and would make almost anyone slightly uncomfortable. You can just adjust events so that you are included more rather than staying on the outside letting what-ifs run about in your brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom