• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 |SPOILER THREAD| Enter Marc’s Webb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa TAK

Banned
Yes, this happens:
yyf7.jpg

Otto wouldn't have let this shit happen.
Don’t use spoiler tags unless you want people to loathe you.

F.A.Q.

Why is there an X-Men mid-credits scene? Will there be a crossover?

Marc Webb had a contractual obligation to Fox after signing a deal with them after 500 Days of Summer and in order to let Webb direct The Amazing Spider-Man 2 for Sony, Fox let it happen in exchange for a bit of free marketing for their X-Men movie. That translated into this button scene. -Source No crossover for you.

OT Link

Calabi

I'm disappointed they killed her, it was obvious, foretold and everything but it didnt have to happen. The chemistry between them was so great, her death doesnt really add anything except you must have tragedy. This seems like such a light hearted and fun spiderman it almost makes the whole film a downer.

Mindwipe

Some people don't read comics.

Also, I clicked on this thread by mistake and spoiled it for me. :(

To be honest one of my biggest problems with the film is that it's so obvious that's she's going to be fridged by the last third I actually wondered if they were going for a knowing fakeout and she'd survive.

After Peter says he'll move to England with her she may as well dive off the bridge there and then.

Jamie OD

One of the most famous comics ever, one printed in 1973, is somehow a spoiler now, got it.

There exists people who watch Titanic and get shocked when the boat sinks. My point is there will always be somebody in the audience who is unfamiliar with the source material and will not see the scene coming.

I'm disappointed they killed her, it was obvious, foretold and everything but it didnt have to happen. The chemistry between them was so great, her death doesnt really add anything except you must have tragedy. This seems like such a light hearted and fun spiderman it almost makes the whole film a downer.

This makes me wonder if Bruce's parents weren't killed when Adam West played Batman...

Anyone who has ever picked up a comic knows about the Death of Gwen Stacy and how important it was.

Also, this is what makes the whole MJ thing, well, the MJ thing. The them and after affects of her death went on and on and even lead to a ridiculous arc involving her.... kids with Norman Osborn, oh aaand her being a clone or something. I don't know, Spiderman wasn't in a good spot in the mid late 90s(post Erik Larsen) early 00s.

javac

SPOILERS OF COURSE! You can never be too sure...

The amount of times I thought "oh shit now it's gonna happen" only for it not to happen was crazy. If I took a drink every time I thought she was gonna die I'd be fucked. I teared up when it happened.

The movie was great. I feel Electro's death could have held more weight. He just... disappears. After all this character building. Should have been more like Dr. Octavius' death at the end of SM2. He realises what he's done, comes to his senses and sacrifices himself to save everyone. "Don't worry, I'm your eyes and ears" or something cheesy.

The movie was great. I feel Electro's death could have held more weight. He just... disappears. After all this character building. Should have been more like Dr. Octavius' death at the end of SM2. He realises what he's done, comes to his senses and sacrifices himself to save everyone. "Don't worry, I'm your eyes and ears" or something cheesy.

Nah, thank christ. Of all the things they needed to stop doing in Spider-Man movies, it was either redeeming or killing off the villains. LET EVIL REEEEIGN.

Oh,also, Sinister Six.

javac

Nah, thank christ. Of all the things they needed to stop doing in Spider-Man movies, it was either redeeming or killing off the villains. LET EVIL REEEEIGN.

Oh,also, Sinister Six.

True true. Now that I think about it...that's how all 3 of the Raimi films ended lmao :$

But still...at least a monologue or something. Even some "I'll never die! My pulse will always be felt. I'll always be lingering around this city until the day comes that I Kill you Spiderman for I AM ELECTRO!" *blows up*

Or some...thing *ahem* I'll...see myself out.

But seriously the whole way through the movie I was thinking what a fucking force of nature this guy was. Mad powerful.

Wiseblade

The film makes the death more brutal and Peter less responsible. My friends argued that full-on whiplash is too brutal without a Mary Jane waiting in the wings; Peter would have been too distraught to notice anyone new into his life afterward and wouldn't have been able to put the suit back on.

But after coming so close, it still seems a tiny bit weird that they stopped just short of it.

Otto wouldn't have let this shit happen.
DONT GET ME STARTED

The film makes the death more brutal and Peter less responsible. My friends argued that full-on whiplash is too brutal without a Mary Jane waiting in the wings; Peter would have been too distraught to notice anyone new into his life afterward and wouldn't have been able to put the suit back on.

But after coming so close, it still seems a tiny bit weird that they stopped just short of it.

A neck snapping would really push the film's rating, I feel? It's easy enough in comics when it's sort of implied, but you'd have to make it blatant in a film context.

I mean he's still responsible for her death in the way that if he hadn't kept seeing her and wasn't Spider-Man, she wouldn't be dead. So it still works well enough.

My theater fucking gasped and was dead fucking silent.

I honestly don't know which chilled me more. The audience reaction or what I was seeing on screen.

javac

I felt that the movie really added more weight to the end of part one in regards to breaking the promise.

I felt that the movie really added more weight to the end of part one in regards to breaking the promise.

I feel like people who whined about him being a dick and breaking the promise should have realised that Marc Webb & the Sony Marketing team's idea of foreshadowing is them slapping you in the face with their dick and saying "MYEH, SEE? SEE?"

MaXsPoT

I liked the movie. Miles better than the first one.
I really liked that they didn't use the "hero saves everyone" cliché.
Yeah, he finally used Google instead of Bing LOL.

I feel like people who whined about him being a dick and breaking the promise should have realised that Marc Webb & the Sony Marketing team's idea of foreshadowing is them slapping you in the face with their dick and saying "MYEH, SEE? SEE?"

But it was obvious that that's what they were going for. It doesn't make it any less lame.

javac

Yeah I loved the first movie for what it's worth. For a movie with a lot of acton, TASM2 had a load of character building. Everyone matures and you get to feel the toll this is taking on everyone and seeing all the pieces moving into place in terms of his parents and Oscorp is pretty satisfying. The scene with his Peters patents was pretty sad.

Wiseblade

A neck snapping would really push the film's rating, I feel? It's easy enough in comics when it's sort of implied, but you'd have to make it blatant in a film context.

I mean he's still responsible for her death in the way that if he hadn't kept seeing her and wasn't Spider-Man, she wouldn't be dead. So it still works well enough.
But he gets an out from that when she keeps on screaming "It's my choice!", to an extent.

And SHE LITERALLY SMACKED HER HEAD ON THE GROUND ONSCREEN.That thud was real. A shot of the webline and a snapping sound would have been less graphic.

Yeah I loved the first movie for what it's worth. For a movie with a lot of acton, TASM2 had a load of character building. Everyone matures and you get to feel the toll this is taking on everyone and seeing all the pieces moving into place in terms of his parents and Oscorp is pretty satisfying. The scene with his Peters patents was pretty sad.

I honestly thought they'd go the Ultimate route of
Eddie Brock Sr. being involved and Venom'ing out on the plane, which caused the crash.

Sorcerer

I liked the movie. Miles better than the first one.
I really liked that they didn't use the "hero saves everyone" cliché.
Yeah, he finally used Google instead of Bing LOL.

Not only does Peter lose Gwen, but he also loses Bing reward points by switching to Google

No stockpiling Amazon gift cards for Spider-Man.

javac

I honestly thought they'd go the Ultimate route of
Eddie Brock Sr. being involved and Venom'ing out on the plane, which caused the crash.

That would have been interesting I admit. I think they handled it fine for now although I was kinda shocked that they even touched on that at all. I'm interested in seeing how everything progresses in the next installment.

I remember reading that that first movie was supposed to have more back story but it was cut out? Am I making that up?

That xmen mid credit scene...

Yeah I thought it was going to be some crazy initiative at first. Just an advertisement.

Wiseblade

Is it true they cut a lot of stuff from the trailers AGAIN?
The first trailer? Probably, I remember a line from Harry Osborn that definitely doesn't make it into the final cut. I think everything from the last trailer is in the film, but it totally misrepresents how the film is paced.

Mindwipe

But he gets an out from that when she keeps on screaming "It's my choice!", to an extent.

And SHE LITERALLY SMACKED HER HEAD ON THE GROUND ONSCREEN.That thud was real. A shot of the webline and a snapping sound would have been less graphic.

I need to see it again, but I thought the noise was her neck snapping tbh.

Spinluck

The first trailer? Probably, I remember a line from Harry Osborn that definitely doesn't make it into the final cut. I think everything from the last trailer is in the film, but it totally misrepresents how the film is paced.

I see, ok, not too bad then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom