• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D-pads Thread: Discuss, Debate, Design (Image-heavy)

Orayn

8i1kL.png

A D- or directional pad is a set of thumb-operated switches that provide 4- or 8-way directional input. Their common uses include character control in video games, and navigating menus on a variety of devices.

8i1qO.png

It’s generally agreed that D-pads evolved from arcade games that used four independent buttons arranged in a diamond pattern. The Intellivision also featured a disc-shaped control pad that provided 16-way directional input.

The modern D-pad, however, emerged in 1982 with the Game & Watch release of Donkey Kong, designed by Gunpei Yokoi.

The main design features that distinguished this D-pad from its precursors was that it consisted of a solid, cross-shaped piece of plastic with an internal pivot point. This gave it the crucial features of being self-righting with a short travel distance, and disallowing simultaneous left/right and up/down inputs.

8i1HT.png

The original D-pad patent, filed in 1985, describes Nintendo’s design as follows:

“A four-directional switch which can be turned on and off in four directions, which comprises a base plate having a plurality of electrodes formed thereon, a key top having an indication showing predetermined four pressing directions in an identifiable manner, a support member constituting a fulcrum between the base plate and the key top, a plurality of conductive rubbers disposed opposing to the plurality of electrodes so as to be in electrical contact with corresponding ones of the electrodes, and a sustaining member having the plurality of conductive rubbers fixed thereto and having elastic force for sustaining the conductive rubbers so as not to be in contact with the electrodes when the key top is not pressed.”

Basically, the whole d-pad is built on top of a plastic disc that tilts when a direction is pressed, which completes a circuit by pressing down one of four underlying membrane switches. When the pressure is released, that same membrane switch provides the returning force necessary to bring the disc back to its neutral position.

All d-pads in use today are a variation on this concept, with a variety of modifications.

8i1wS.png

Nintendo’s patent forced their competitors to work around several key aspects of their design, chief among them being the spherical fulcrum and the dish-shaped depression that it sat in, respectively labeled 13 and 21 in the figure below.

Early competing d-pads like those of the Sega Master System and PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 managed to skate by with simply changing the shape of the upper pad, combining the lower disc and upper pad into a single unit, or leaving out the lower dish.

As time went on, efforts to avoid infringing on Nintendo’s patents became more sophisticated. For the original Genesis/Mega Drive controllers, Sega used a small ball that was disconnected from both the upper disc and the controller below, labeled 3 in the figure below.

With the Saturn controller, Sega enlarged the pivot point and turned it into a half-sphere again, essentially taking what Nintendo had initially devised and turning it inside out and upside down. This was also the emergence of the “piston” design, where the d-pad and the component used to depress the switches are actually two separate parts that connect vertically.

The design used in the Xbox Controller S and Xbox 360 controller are very similar in concept, though the usefulness of the latter is hampered by the lower portion of the pistol being extremely tall and the plastic “well” surrounding the upper disc being too restrictive.

Sony’s D-pad patents use a one-piece design, but designed in such a way they four faux-buttons appear on the surface of the controller.
Some of Sony’s patents incorporated an independent ball similar to Sega’s first-generation Genesis/Mega Drive controllers, as pictured below.

The ball was abandoned for an upward-facing rounded cone, as pictured below.

8i0n0.png

(PSX)
8i0oM.jpg

(PS2)

8i20y.png

As my thread title implies, I thought we could use a thread dedicated to talking about these lovely little inputs devices. Talk about your favorite, criticize the ones you don't like, correct and expand on anything in this post, and generally discuss this topic in any way that doesn't involve calling people names for liking something you don't like.

Starter topic: Which of the above basic designs do you prefer and why?

I loved the SNES, GB, GBA D-Pad, they feel so good and you can play with them for hours.

I hate the OG DS and the 3DS D-pads though, same as the Playstation line until the Vita and PS4.

It's a bit controversial, but I've had great luck with the XBOX 360's transforming d-pad.
DUNz8ws.jpg

I'll admit that I always use it in the raised position, though.

Orayn

I loved the SNES, GB, GBA D-Pad, they feel so good and you can play with them for hours.

I hate the OG DS and the 3DS D-pads though, same as the Playstation line until the Vita and PS4.

Ooh, good opportunity to segue into a related topic!

Several of the D-pads you hate, OG DS, 3DS, and Vita, all use microswitches rather than silicone membranes and graphite contacts. This gives them a short travel distance, makes them clicky, and arguably extends their lifespan. It also makes them harder to repair/replace, since the switches are soldered onto the board instead and you can't just pick up an aftermarket silicone bit.

Orayn

It's a bit controversial, but I've had great luck with the XBOX 360's transforming d-pad.
DUNz8ws.jpg

The problem with the 360 d-pad is more about fit and finish than the actual design. A lot of the time, the plastic well is too narrow and the upper disc runs into the sides. There's also an issue with the upper and lower parts fitting together poorly, which is probably another part of what the transforming d-pad models address.

Lasdrub

Ooh, good opportunity to segue into a related topic!

Several of the D-pads you hate, OG DS, 3DS, and Vita, all use microswitches rather than silicone membranes and graphite contacts. This gives them a short travel distance, makes them clicky, and arguably extends their lifespan. It also makes them harder to repair/replace, since the switches are soldered onto the board instead and you can't just pick up an aftermarket silicone bit.

I thought I prefered the microswitches the most when I got a GBA SP (I think that's what it used anyway), but then I changed my mind after using the DS Lite. It was soft but also 100% accurate for me. What type of D-pad is in the DS Lite?

The SP is my favorite clicky d-pad. It almost felt like a cellphone button. There was very little action in that d-pad. Here's am image of what's underneath.

LeleSocho

Banned

Original DS still has the best d-pad, the size and the click-like feel are optimal for every game aside fighters (it's still good but not the best)

Worst i've ever felt is a good fight between DS1-3 and X360

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Nice OT! I was thinking about making a thread like this the other day, but you want way above and beyond what I would have done.

Jamix012

I actually really like the Xbox One D-Pad. Such a huge improvement over the 360's IMO. Clicky and nice feeling. If the sticks were a little tighter, I'd have no problem crowning it the best controller ever.

Also Vita's Dpad is very nice too.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo's d-pads are generally top notch. The best ones are Vita's and the Saturn's though

LeleSocho

Banned
I thought I prefered the microswitches the most when I got a GBA SP (I think that's what it used anyway), but then I changed my mind after using the DS Lite. It was soft but also 100% accurate for me. What type of D-pad is in the DS Lite?
I don't know how it's made but i'm pretty sure that the all DS lite d-pads are flawed, they tend to not pick up diagonal input.

Also in my opinion is too small just like everything portable's d-pad by nintendo after the og DS.

WiiRemote1.jpg

I don't know what it is about the Wii remote's D pad, but every time I play an NES game with it or a game like NSMBWii for more than thirty minutes, my left thumb gets really sore from it.

Lasdrub

I don't know how it's made but i'm pretty sure that the all DS lite d-pads are flawed, they tend to not pick up diagonal input.

Also in my opinion is too small just like everything portable's d-pad by nintendo after the og DS.

I must have played games where I didn't have to go diagnal too much. The first time using it to play NSMB was amazing with that d-pad.

Orayn

The SP is my favorite clicky d-pad. It almost felt like a cellphone button. There was very little action in that d-pad.

The DS Lite uses a standard membrane d-pad, with fairly low resistance and a pretty loose fit for the plastic part. It's kind of a love-it-or-hate it design.

WiiRemote1.jpg

I don't know what it is about the Wii remote's D pad, but every time I play an NES game with it or a game like NSMBWii for more than thirty minutes, my left thumb gets really sore from it.

It's mostly just due to the size and the fact that the really aggressively sloped sides.

Lasdrub

The DS Lite uses a standard membrane d-pad, with fairly low resistance and a pretty loose fit for the plastic part. It's kind of a love-it-or-hate it design.

Ah, thanks. I was impressed by the accuracy given how soft and loose it felt. All other pads that felt like that didn't work well for me. It was a "how is this even working?" type experience. It seems others didn't share that same experience, though.

VanWinkle

I still haven't used one better than the Vita's. Perfect clickiness, some kind of gloss coating that makes it grippier than most d-pads, tight but not stiff, and it allows you to let you do what you want with no missteps. It's an absolute joy.

It's mostly just due to the size and the fact that the really aggressively sloped sides.

It was the reason I held off from beating Super Paper Mario for a long time. That game makes you hold right and left on that thing for a looooooooong time. And to add insult to injury, I have to wait before I can reach a save block before I can finally stop playing or I'll lose all my progress.

I know I'm complaining about something minimal here, but this was a big deal for me.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Clicky d-pads are the best. Original DS, DSi, 3DS XL and Vita are my favorites.
The worst d-pad I've used is easily the Duke Xbox controllers (it's like a tilting cylinder, awful), with standard 360 d-pad and DS Lite sharing the second lowest place.

LeleSocho

Banned

If i remember correctly people start noticing when Animal Crossing was released which required diagonal to travel, i remember seeing lots of threads about it at the time.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Saturn the best. Nintendo's have been getting worse and worse with each iteration. Too small and rigid.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Best Dpad for fighters is the Saturn, followed closely by the Sega Genesis 6 button controller. The face is actually the same part between the two, the Saturn is just slightly different with the mechanism.

The dpad on the OG Madcatz fightpads is an admirable job, but doesn't touch these kings.

Orayn

I haven't heard praise for a dpad in the last 15 years outside of the vita. How hard is it to not screw it up?

Well, there are a lot of tiny little design details that can have a huge effect on how much people like a d-pad. The shape of the upper part, the level of tension in the switches underneath, the amount of travel, and the feel of the pivot all factor in, and people have very strong preferences about most of those.

For what it's worth, I think we all "doth protest too much" on a certain level. Cloud805 got 2nd place in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 last night using a stock 360 controller, d-pad and all.

Orayn

Saturn the best. Nintendo's have been getting worse and worse with each iteration. Too small and rigid.

Not exactly. The GamePad and Wii U Pro Controller's d-pads are both rather large and mushy, similar to the original Classic Controller for the Wii or a softer SNES controller.

El Sabroso

Clicky d-pads are the best. Original DS, DSi, 3DS XL and Vita are my favorites.
The worst d-pad I've used is easily the Duke Xbox controllers (it's like a tilting cylinder, awful), with standard 360 d-pad and DS Lite sharing the second lowest place.

You would like XB1 D pad then, is clicky too but not as good as NDS Dpad, actually from my experience XB1 Dpad feels like a slightly broken NDS Dpad

WiiU's Gamepad and Pro Controller Dpad are really good too.

Loving the D-pads on the PSV/4. Don't care much for the really small ones, (I've got big ass fingers and find them extremely uncomfortable, looking at you Gamecube)

What's OP's take on the Vita's d-pad?

LeleSocho

Banned
I haven't heard praise for a dpad in the last 15 years outside of the vita. How hard is it to not screw it up?

Probably because it's the only good d-pad Sony has ever made and a lot people haven't used anything outside DualShocks in their lives.

Vita truly is one highly comfortable and precise but it has that stupid design choice to keep the four buttons separated, watching the DS4 d-pad almost feels like the Vita one was a fluke.

The dpad on the OG Madcatz fightpads is an admirable job, but doesn't touch these kings.
Those were great, i wish i can buy one for cheap nowadays.

Chettlar

Banned
DUNz8ws.jpg

This was a fantastic design choice. The Xbone's is better, but this was still much better than the default one.

Tain

Saturn is still very easily the best. I like Vita's and Xbox One's, as far as newer d-pads go.

I think issues with the 360 pad are largely due to the plastic well around it. With shaving and/or extended use it becomes a pretty solid d-pad.

Orayn

Loving the D-pads on the PSV/4. Don't care much for the really small ones, (I've got big ass fingers and find them extremely uncomfortable, looking at you Gamecube)

What's OP's take on the Vita's d-pad?

I've only had a chance to use it at demo kiosks, but I really liked it. Felt like a taller version of the DS Phat D-pad.

Vita and Saturn d-pads 4 lyf. I'm looking forward to buying a Vita 2000 and getting a fresh new pad again!

The Xbone's d-pad is notable for just how much of an improvement it is over the turrible 360 d-pad. PS4's is solid, too, but I'd prefer if it was just a bigger version of the Vita's.

Edit: Oh, the Neo Geo Pocket had a great little d-pad, but does that really count? It was sooo satisfyingly clicky.

Saturn>Vita>>>>>>>>>everything else I have used (ranging from serviceable to bad)

As a pad player I find microswitches to be superior to all else.

Zeppeli

Banned
WASD-Key-Set-Without-Inscriptions.jpeg

My favourite d-pad.

The Vita and Genesis d-pads are my favourites. I don't actually mind the 360 d-pad, though. It was a lot better than people made it out to seem.

Orayn

Saturn>Vita>>>>>>>>>everything else I have used (ranging from serviceable to bad)

As a pad player I find microswitches to be superior to all else.

Saturn's d-pad isn't microswitched, just good old membrane switches with a cleverly designed mechanism to press them.

The NeoGeo CD controller and its derivatives DO use microswitches, but the design is really more of a miniaturized arcade stick that has a domed spot for your thumb.

Cheerilee

Interesting tidbit about the PSP's D-pad.

The viewing area on the original PSP's screen is big and beautiful, but the actual mechanics of the LCD screen are even bigger than the viewing area. In a case of "form over function", the D-pad and buttons were made to bear the burden of creating the illusion of a screen that had no excess bulk.

The square button and the right direction of the D-pad actually float halfway overtop of the LCD screen (or they would in a regular controller). The D-pad was reshaped to be lopsided internally, and the contact point was pulled inward towards the pivoting ball, although the outside of the D-pad pretended it was just business as usual for a typical PlayStation D-pad.

The square button was a harder issue to compensate, since it was floating free and wasn't connected to a rigid disk. They solved the button problem by giving it a zigzag "tetrad" shape, so the force of your thumb pressing would be redirected back towards the circuit board, not directly down into the LCD screen. Unfortunately, downward force on the lopsided zigzag tended to make the piece try to twist and jam, as did the upper return force from the rubber membrane. This caused the "stuck button" problem which plagued the original PSP. Form over function, never a good idea.

Top Bottom