• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn crowdfunding was Success-Fu. Coming to last and current gen

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-06-shaq-fu-a-legend-reborn-scores-USD450k-funding-goal

Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn has managed to beat its crowd-funding goal on the campaign's final day and secure a release for PC, PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One and Wii U.

Basketball legend Shaquille O'Neal and developer Big Deez Productions asked for $450,000 (£260k) in donations to help develop the bizarre beat-'em-up sequel.

The game's Indiegogo campaign hit its target last night with just hours to spare, and after a couple of last-minute perks were added (someone donated $4000 to have lunch and a game of basketball at Shaq's house).

more through the link.

does shaq really need donations to fund a game just for himself

shaq-laughing-press-conference-shaq-gifs.gif

A Shaq Fu sequel manages to raise $450,000, and the Outcast remake can't even get to $300,000? Fuck this world.

I'm now scared for Amplitude

A Shaq Fu sequel manages to raise $450,000, and the Outcast remake can't even get to $300,000? Fuck this world.

It's one of the most mind boggling Kickstarter/indiegogo success stories that i've seen. It's a sequel/spiritual successor to a terrible game and it's by a company that has no development history. And they were asking for 450k.

Tregard

Soothsayer
It's one of the most mind boggling Kickstarter/indiegogo success stories that i've seen. It's a sequel/spiritual successor to a terrible game and it's by a company that has no development history. And they were asking for 450k.

They did promise not to Fu it up.

Half of me wants to say YAY because WTH Why not?, but the other half wants to say NOO for all the other games that dont get funded in comparison to this

The part I don't get is that nobody paused to think that Shaq could afford to fund his whole damn game himself instead of asking for money. This is on the same level as 50 Cent going around charging people to shovel their driveways and people actually paid him.

The part I don't get is that nobody paused to think that Shaq could afford to fund his whole damn game himself instead of asking for money. This is on the same level as 50 Cent going around charging people to shovel their driveways and people actually paid him.

Actually the original thread was full of complaints of that nature.

People spend money on what amuses them

Goon Boon

Banned
It was Flexible funding (they get the $ either way), this was getting made either way, it was mostly a way to gauge interest/promote it.

Jack cw

This sounds like huge trash potential. A game so bad it could be good.

I'm surprised because it's rare to see large scale indiegogo projects hit their mark these days. I don't really follow crowdfunding projects like I once did, I guess I got a little fatigued from it all.

8Djqh.gif

erawsd

Why risk your own money on something when you can get others to pay?

PaulloDEC

I definitely didn't expect to see this succeed. They may have only just made it, but I was expecting more like 50% funded or less.

Why risk your own money on something when you can get others to pay?

Yup. Crowdfunding is also the perfect way to ensure there's a market for your product before you get in too deep (which I'd have to assume would be a big concern for a reboot of an ancient, not-very-good IP).

I'm honestly shocked they hit their full amount. I contributed $550 towards it, but only because Shaq is my favorite basketball player so I looked at it as my only opportunity to get a signed jersey from him. The game is secondary for me. I just love Shaw.

I can't believe this actually reached its full funding goal.
And this is coming from someone who donated $25 to it. Because c'mon, you can't say no to Shaq. It's just not possible.

This is probably a testament to the unfathomable and likely incalculable marketing value of Shaq.

KOCMOHABT

OP Title delivers again. Thanks!

But it would be nice to cite the official Kickstarter page instead of secondary media like eurogamer.

Lothar

Banned
Sequel to one of the worst games ever made, Shaq Fu, gets funded.

Sequel to one of the best games ever made, Eternal Darkness, doesn't get funded.

Makes sense. People on the internet are smart.

Xater

Sequel to one of the best games ever made, Eternal Darkness, doesn't get funded.

Debatable. Also no one liked that studio and what they did afterwards. The real tragedy is Outlast.

Ha, awesome. I have great memories of laughing and playing that game.

He probably has quite a few friends with deep pockets. I would laugh if it was another NBA player who paid for him to DJ.

Zephyrus

Banned
Yep. I don't get why you would give someone money to make a sequel to a shit game like Shaq Fu.

I don't get why you'd give money to make ANY game, if you wouldn't profit from it.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Kickstarter backers are fools.

I remember the first time playing this on C64 back in the day. We were like what the heck?! Why are the characters so small? We felt ripped off.

The mood slowly shifted from anger and violated to disappointment with a side of gallows humor laughing at how bad we thought the game was. It didn't last long in the disk drive.

Now I wonder how many people that experienced that game actually helped fund this.

Though I admit there's definitely some morbid curiosity to see how this version turns out.

codhand

dammit! you're right! fu internet!

Eternal Darkness needed a gimmick, plus, he-who-shall-not-be-named isnt as cool or likeable as Shaq.

Xater

I don't get why you'd give money to make ANY game, if you wouldn't profit from it.

Because otherwise the game would never exist? It's a pretty easy concept. Expecting return for "investing" 15 bucks or so is also pretty silly.

Zephyrus

Banned
I'm honestly shocked they hit their full amount. I contributed $550 towards it, but only because Shaq is my favorite basketball player so I looked at it as my only opportunity to get a signed jersey from him. The game is secondary for me. I just love Shaw.

550$.

550$ for a signed jersey. Says he's shocked they hit their full amount.

550$ for a signature.

Wut?

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Kickstarter backers are fools.

People donate so that they can see projects they want made, made. What's foolish about wanting more games with niche appeal, like broken age or FTL?

Zephyrus

Banned
Because otherwise the game would never exist? It's a pretty easy concept. Expecting return for "investing" 15 bucks or so is also pretty silly.

And how is that my problem? They want to make a game? Find a publisher. They'll get my support when I buy the product.

Not before. And "investing" 15 bucks is still an investment. There are many things you could buy with those 15 bucks.

Dragon

Banned
The original game is pretty bad....Shaq should have funded the guy who did Barkley Shut up and Jam Gaiden or something instead. I would have been more likely to play it!

And how is that my problem? They want to make a game? Find a publisher. They'll get my support when I buy the product.

Not before. And "investing" 15 bucks is still an investment. There are many things you could buy with those 15 bucks.

Are you being serious right now? You do realize there are inherent compromises that must be made when choosing to work with publishers?

Xater

If only it was that easy. You are so clueless.

You know also what you get when you put in 15 bucks or whatever into a game Kickstarter? The finished game. You are not losing anything if it#s something you are interested in.

The original game is pretty bad....Shaq should have funded the guy who did Barkley Shut up and Jam Gaiden or something instead. I would have been more likely to play it!

Hell yes! That would have been great.

Dremark

Banned

Eternal Darkness has no sequel because Nintendo didn't want to fund it.

It's spiritual successor didn't get funded largely because of questionable business practices and a bad track record from the developer for it's last several games.

Silicon Knights made a big mistake leaving Nintendo's side and that ultimately led them down the path to destruction.

Top Bottom