• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rectify Season 2 |OT| The Acclaimed Drama Returns - Thursdays 9/8c

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

iezPj58bjgC9V.png

iXS0yxBOiKjyX.png

Ah, I like it when I watch shows that I don't follow airdates on cos then I see an update like this and it's only 6 days away. Looking forward to it a lot, I enjoyed the first season very much.

Part of me wishes I lived in the South. Actually maybe not but it's one of my favourite settings.

TheOddOne

- TV guide: Why Everyone Should Watch Rectify, TV's Most Devastatingly Poignant Drama *Spoilers for the first season*
The series moves at an unapologetically slow pace, subtly and hypnotically mining the emotional depths of Daniel and his family members' attempts to adapt and connect in the wake of his return. But despite the lyrical pacing, Rectify is never boring nor self-indulgent. Daniel describes his years in prison as "the time in between the seconds," and that's exactly how Rectify feels. The show breathes in a way that makes Mad Men feel rushed, and its languid hero offers a welcome respite from the cocksure Don Drapers and Walter Whites that currently populate television. Of course, some viewers might complain about the amount of time Daniel devotes to merely staring at his surroundings, but it's truly a profound experience, seeing the world through Daniel's eyes, where the most mundane aspects of daily life suddenly become monumental.
Young delivers a generous and soulful performance as an untethered man who vacillates between the young kid he was before his incarceration and the detached, contemplative man he became behind bars. Flashbacks to Daniel's time in prison provide insight into his transformation, while his friendship with his fellow convict Kerwin (Johnny Ray Gill) shows that for as much as Daniel tried to resign himself to his windowless purgatory, he was never completely able to shut out the world and its beauty.

Despite Rectify's elegiac tone, there's an effortless humor to the show, much of which stems from Daniel himself. His fish-out-of-water befuddlement with the world ("Does this work?" he earnestly asks a cashier, regarding a bottle of SmartWater) could easily devolve into a series of cheap clichés, yet series creator Ray McKinnon manages to turn even a wide-eyed trip to Walmart into a tender moment where Daniel reconnects with his mother.

TheOddOne

- EW review: Rectify Season 2
A somber, soulful mystery-cum-character study of a damaged, possibly damnable man and the small Southern town that loves and loathes him, this cable gem returns for 10 episodes, bent on affirming the promise of its sublime first season. The premiere artfully restates the show's premise and thematic scope by toggling between dreamtime metaphor and deep-feeling grit. It's an engrossing meditation on the complexities of redemption.

A

Tucah

you speak so well
Finally got around to watching the first season and it, obviously, is just as good as everyone has been saying. Beautiful, fascinating, masterful show. I cannot wait for more.

TheOddOne

- IndieWire: Review: 'Rectify' Renews Its Astounding, Contemplative Journey in Innovative Season 2
"Rectify" has a 10 episode order in front of it for Season 2. That's four more than Season 1, and the first three episodes show it. They feel like the first third of an arc, but without losing any of the show's meditative quality and, more importantly, without any scene coming across as extraneous. McKinnon crafted something truly original a year ago, and he appears to have done it again a year later. His characters are defined, but never predictable. His story deliberately paced, but never slow. In Season 1, he examined the construct of time through a character who had the idea taken away from him. Now, he appears to have mastered it.

Grade: A
- Variety Review of Season 2.
The little series that could, “Rectify” is such a wispy construct, where events unfold so languidly, it’s a puzzle why the hours fly by and prove consistently compelling. Much of it has to do with the casting — which is dead-on from top to bottom, and indeed, gives the supporting players more work through the early stages of season two. Whatever the reasons, this SundanceTV drama, anchored by Aden Young’s out-of-body calm in the lead role, was one of 2013’s most pleasant surprises, and continues in that vein in this new 10-episode run.

squidyj

I am so ready for this thursday but I'm also worried. Mind you i'm not worried about the quality of the show, I feel that much is guaranteed. I watched season 1 on Netflix, all of the episodes back to back to back in one day. It wasn't how I intended to watch it, I was just going to watch one or two but I watched them all. I'm not sure how I'll be able to cope with having just one episode a week for ten whole weeks.

Wow, didn't expect this so soon.
But then again, I just watched season 1 for the first time a couple of months back thanks to Netflix instant.

Revolver

I am so ready for this thursday but I'm also worried. Mind you i'm not worried about the quality of the show, I feel that much is guaranteed. I watched season 1 on Netflix, all of the episodes back to back to back in one day. It wasn't how I intended to watch it, I was just going to watch one or two but I watched them all. I'm not sure how I'll be able to cope with having just one episode a week for ten whole weeks.

I'm thinking I may just tough it out and wait for S2 to go up on Netflix. I really don't look forward to waiting a week between episodes.

TheOddOne

Season premiere today:
Season 2: episode 1 "Running With the Bull"

Janet and Amantha await Daniel pulling out of his induced coma; Teddy's business plans are derailed by some unwelcome news.

ivysaur12

Banned
Rectify Rectify Rectify Rectify Rectify Rectify Rectify Rectify Rectify RectifyRectify Rectify Rectify Rectify Rectify Rectify #RECTIFY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom