• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matador |OT| new action series, pilot directed by Robert Rodriguez - Tues. on El Rey

Status
Not open for further replies.
_864c757da88c3151b2b2cd977db1266e.jpg

I've liked it. And i liked it a lot. Apart from ridiculous premise this show is good. All main characters are likeable, there are almost no cliches, a little bit of humor here and there, show looks beautiful, very bright and has nice colors, protagonis is also good.
I'm surprised in a good way.

Vert boil

Isn't image size supposed to adapt to monitor resolution?

The basic function of a formal OT is to be functional and to inform, there is a point where indulgence takes over and the function of an OT is lost. The inherent nature of a OT being image based and at the same time being designed for a higher resolution is (in this instance)/can be counter productive for a large number of posters.

In the case of the ones you posted today, the embedded text is isolated to a small part of the image. Not a problem for people viewing near native res but for a lot of people the text turns to mere pixels and to gain any insight beyond the pretty things, extra steps have to be taken. This isn't even just an issue for mobile user, the majority of people using laptops use a relatively low resolution. To have the whole OT blown out extra wide and for there to be little thought put in to scalability is a big faux pas.
There's also the issue of the readability of embedded text. With scaled images you are mostly reliant on the browser to display the text in an acceptable way. This can also crop up in slimmer images where either too small of a font is used or just from a lack of experience with compression/formats that can render text unreadable.

As overly excessive as TheOddOne can be, his are at least functional for everyone except mobile users.
But we won't talk about them.

6_815bj5i.jpg

TheOddOne

As overly excessive as TheOddOne can be, his are at least functional for everyone except mobile users.
But we won't talk about them.
Mobile users are sub tier scrubs in my eyes. GET A REAL COMPUTER, YOU HIPSTERS.

Anyway, I dig yo OT's WarrenMax007.

I've liked it. And i liked it a lot. Apart from ridiculous premise this show is good. All main characters are likeable, there are almost no cliches, a little bit of humor here and there, show looks beautiful, very bright and has nice colors, protagonis is also good.
I'm surprised in a good way.
Just curious, did you watch Dusk till Dawn TV? If so, what did you think of it?

Show has been renewed for season 2 ahead of season 1 premiere

Mobile users are sub tier scrubs in my eyes. GET A REAL COMPUTER, YOU HIPSTERS.

Anyway, I dig yo OT's WarrenMax007.

Thanks ;)
Just curious, did you watch Dusk till Dawn TV? If so, what did you think of it?
I made OT ahead of premiere and after i watched a pilot i regretted it. Pilot was bad. I stopped there.
Is there nudity in this?
There isn't. But in From Dusk Till Dawn TV there was nudity, but only in "online version".
I dunno why, but when I read 'LA Riot', I thought it was a fictional football team

It's not?

DiscoJer

For some reason, my DIrecTV package started getting El Rey about a month ago.

They have a promo for this show every single commercial break. And now they have an ad on the screen all the time for it.

It could be a good show, but I think they are going to make existing El Rey viewers sick of it before it even ever launches.

El Rey shows movies with nudity, so I'm surprised they cut it from their Dusk to Dawn TV show.

I liked how they wasted no time to go from busting drugdealers to
secret new world order conspiracy and what must be a supersoldier project in Burma
.They could easily have spent half a season slowly revealing that.

Clevinger

After seeing Vert's gif, I had to watch this.

matador2gsu71.gif

This show is weird, but enjoyable. Random thoughts:

- Nicky Whelan, her poofy hair, and her accent's desire to break free were a delight
- I like her sidekick agent
- GAF-favorite thespian Dylan Bruce is in it!
For two minutes.
- Alfred Molina pronouncing Los Angeles both ways at different parts of the episode, because why not
- Was confused by the daughter. Was she having them be rough, or was she getting off on a real rape?

If they can tighten up the humor (some of it was funny, some was awkward and super corny) this could be a really fun show. I'll stick with it for a while.

Clevinger

I think the answer is "having them be rough"

The dialogue was confusing to me. At the end of the scene Tony said something like, "In a minute the security is gonna rush in. I suggest you stick to my version of the events." So he meant she should pretend it was a real rape?

The dialogue was confusing to me. At the end of the scene Tony said something like, "In a minute the security is gonna rush in. I suggest you stick to my version of the events." So he meant she should pretend it was a real rape?
Yes. She didn't want her father to know that she just let them record it.

- Variety review

It’s early, of course, but like Tony at tryouts, there are only so many chances to make a good impression. And with something that misses the mark like “Matador,” the network isn’t putting its best foot forward – or looking particularly ready for the big leagues.
- SFGate review
There's much to love here, beginning with Luna, who, oddly enough, may remind you of Jackie Chan in one of his better action comedies. Luna brings a similar deadpan comedic style to the character of Tony Bravo, as well as warmth and nuance. The show is an action drama, but it's also funny - even the meat cleaver scene is more humorous than stomach-turning. Molina, of course, can do anything, but he's always fun as a villain, and he plays villainy to the hilt here. He's obviously having a good time, and so are we.

Series premiere tonight
Quid Go Pro

Tony Bravo, a DEA agent from Boyle Heights, is recruited by a little-known branch of the CIA for a top-secret mission: investigate the LA Riot—a professional soccer team—by going undercover as one of their players. Tony will need the espionage skills to impress his handlers and some fast footwork to make the team, or The Beautiful Game could end in sudden death. Is Tony in for the win?

- Philadelphia Inquirer review
Glitzy, spoofy, and bristling with attitude, Matador is the modern equivalent of I Spy, the classic '60s series about a pro tennis player/secret agent, starring Robert Culp and Bill Cosby.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/entert...ut_on_El_Rey_channel.html#BGw1P1Uw2QLu1ojC.99
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette review
A fun, entertaining action show.
- Los Angeles Times review
The flavor of 'Matador' is high-style retro-modern, B-picture
- New York Times review
“Matador” is definitely B-level — serviceable dialogue, not-quite-cartoonish characters, gimmicky editing — but it’s not grindhouse. It’s closer to a jokey, glossy USA Network crime drama, with a story that recalls USA’s undercover-agent series “Graceland” and a tone similar to that of “Covert Affairs” and “White Collar.”
- Variety review
The show plays like a slapdash effort, conceived less by creative spark than as the product of focus-group testing, with a dash of nostalgia thrown in.
- Metacritic page

DiscoJer

It reminded me of one of those '60s spy shows - The Avengers, The Man From UNCLE. Not quite serious, not quite fully campy

Don't really like the star though, he smirks too much.

danielcw

I think most characters are too smooth, too cool, too beautiful, if you know what I mean.

But other than that I enjoyed the pilot and can see myself liking the show a lot.

Also I am a big Roberto Orci fan, and want to see him be part of something good, before he does the next Star Trek

Second episode was a lot of fun. That hotel bit? Lol. And there was also some brief nudity.
This is not the greatest show ever, but it knows what it is and just goes all out.

Haha, it's Gary from Alphas and Lorelei in the new episode. Elena Satine is just ridiculously pretty, as is her name in Elvish/Georgian where she was born: ელენა სატინი

This show is stupid but everyone on it is just so likeable.

Lorelei is looking gorgeous here.

I really like the lead. He is likable.

Lol, is Johnny Bravo a hit it or quit it guy? At least he has a good excuse to bail. Is the journalist gonna crash this shindig?

Oh wow this will end poorly for Johnny Bravo. Reporter gonna show up and splash him drunk all over the place?

This British dude is a fucking douchebag.

Oh, that streak is hilarious.

Now his familia are pissed.

This one night stand just turned deadly!

I had incredibly low expectations for this show, but you know what?

It is super fun! I really, really enjoy it. I'm looking forward to next week's episode. Tony Bravo (who I keep calling Johnny Bravo) is great. Elena Satine (who is the same age as me, wow) has now played some form of a honeypot in two series now (Agents of SHIELD and Matador). Hope she comes back

That ending with Bravo "firing" Javi was sure sucky :( That Noah spy guy continues to be a hilariously smarmy douche. I was hoping Tony would punch him in the balls again.

And wow, that reporter and hacker sure should be having hot lesbian sex I think cause the words were there, but the chemistry was eh.

Clevinger

I am, but I think I'm done with it. This could be a really fun show if it was funnier, but a lot of the humor falls flat IMO.

Now that I think about it, this feels like a low-rent version of Chuck.

I am, but I think I'm done with it. This could be a really fun show if it was funnier, but a lot of the humor falls flat IMO.

Now that I think about it, this feels like a low-rent version of Chuck.

A low-rent version of Chuck isn't the worst way to describe it.

I think it's pretty much perfect summer TV. Shut off brain and enjoy ludicrous stuff. I'm finding it much more enjoyable than From Dusk Til Dawn which was just whatever.

I had incredibly low expectations for this show, but you know what?

It is super fun! I really, really enjoy it. I'm looking forward to next week's episode. Tony Bravo (who I keep calling Johnny Bravo) is great. Elena Satine (who is the same age as me, wow) has now played some form of a honeypot in two series now (Agents of SHIELD and Matador). Hope she comes back

That ending with Bravo "firing" Javi was sure sucky :( That Noah spy guy continues to be a hilariously smarmy douche. I was hoping Tony would punch him in the balls again.

And wow, that reporter and hacker sure should be having hot lesbian sex I think cause the words were there, but the chemistry was eh.
I just realized that she was Mera in Smallville too. Dam.

I still have the first episode downloaded but haven't watched it yet. Trying to go through Person of Interest without blitzing it.....

Finally got around to watching the first episode. Pretty enjoyable. Had a lot of character and patented Rodriguez visual humor. I'm on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom