• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft expect to announce major layoffs; Nokia, Xbox divisions affected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guevara

Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) is planning its biggest round of job cuts in five years, as the software maker looks to slim down and integrate Nokia Oyj’s handset unit, people with knowledge of the company’s plans said.

The reductions -- which may be unveiled as soon as this week -- will probably be in areas such as Nokia and divisions of Microsoft that overlap with that business, as well as marketing and engineering, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans aren’t public. The restructuring may end up being the biggest in Microsoft history, topping the 5,800 jobs cut in 2009, two of the people said. Some details are still being worked out, two of the people said.
Some of the job cuts will be in marketing departments for businesses such as the global Xbox team, said the people. The European Xbox team is based in Reading, U.K.

The company had 127,104 employees as of June 5, after adding about 30,000 in its acquisition of Nokia’s handset unit.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...o-announce-job-cuts-as-soon-as-this-week.html

Trax

Banned
Seems gaming relevant, you should have posted there. Anyway, this was expected imo, MS has been losing money for years now from the Xbox division.

nynt9

It says they might cut 16 thousand jobs, holy shit.

Edit: wait, misread, that was HP. But they're cutting at least 6 thousand jobs

ronito

It'll be interesting to see just WHO they layoff. That should give some hints as to their future plans. I'm still betting on them trying to sell the xbox brand.

Guevara

Seems gaming relevant, you should have posted there. Anyway, this was expected imo, MS has been losing money for years now from the Xbox division.
I thought about it, but the lion's share of cuts will likely be Nokia jobs.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
30k came from Nokia? Yeah, I can see them easily cutting 1/3rd of that. I wonder how much will be in the core Microsoft Teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom