• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good anime on Netflix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to get into anime. Like, really get into it. Right now I only have Netflix and I'm not sure if I like anime enough to subscribe to Hulu Plus or Crunchyroll, so those are currently off the table. I've watched the "classics" like Trigun, Samurai Champloo, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Ghost in the Shell. I also watched FLCL and Death Note back in the day. So I guess I'm not really a novice, but I'm still pretty green.

Here's what the current list on Netflix looks like. I might've have missed a few!

Attack on Titan
Soul Eater
Sidonia
Vampire Knight
FMA: Brotherhood
Rosario + Vampire
Kill La Kill
Kenichi
Heaven's Lost Property
Ouran High School Host Club
Fairy Tail
Girls Bravo
Sekirei
Fate/Zero
Kaze No Stigma
D. Gray-man
Legend of the Legendary Heroes
Baka and Test
B Gata H Kei - Yamada's First Time
Squid Girl
My Bride is a Mermaid
Ghost Hunt
Madoka Magica
Blood+
Sengoku Basura: Samurai Kings
.hack//Quantum OVA
Okami-san and Her Seven Companions
Initial D
Dance in the Vampire Bund (what's up with all the vampire stuff?)
Tenchi Muyo GXP
Chobits
Eden of the East
Hero Tales
Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne
Chaos;Head
Moon Phase
Welcome to the NHK
Spice and Wolf
Princess Jellyfish
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
Hetalia Axis Powers
Hetalia World Series
Black Butler
Blue Exorcist
Chrome Shelled Regios

NOTE: Don't just list names! Tell me what you like about them and what puts them a cut above the rest. As far as my tastes are concerned, I'm open to just about everything, so don't hold back. No films though!

Eden of the East is phenomenal. Both movies are on there too, so you can get the entire complete story.

Attack on Titan can suck it unless they give some actual resolution in the upcoming season

Mesoian

You should watch Mushi-Shi if you haven't.

Eden of the East is phenomenal. Both movies are on there too, so you can get the entire complete story.

Attack on Titan can suck it unless they give some actual resolution in the upcoming season

Eden of the East TV is pretty fantastic. Some real interesting ideas in that show that make the actual outcome of the events seem pretty fucking outstanding.

The two movies are hot garbage. Holy shit. Like wow. FUCKING TERRIBLE.

Haha. That's not going to happen.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
FMA: Brotherhood as well as Blood+ is pretty good.

Too bad they took out Darker Than Black Season 1 though.

Rivitur

Banned
I heard d. Greyman was bad and sucks that darker than black isn't on Netflix anymore.

Out of that list soul eater is a great anime with some good character development and story.

FMA is solid as well brotherhood is way better than the original.

Killlakill is iffy.

Okami is good but it just ends..

Mesoian

Alright, if you haven't seen Madoka, you should because it's the best magical girl show in the past 10 years.

Welcome to the NHK is super good but very depressing. It's a show that tries to make you empethize with people suffering from depression but ultimate makes you feel annoyed with them (at least it did for me).

Tsukiyomi Moon Phase is really cute and does some pretty interesting stuff with visual direction, but keep in mind, at the end of the day, it is about an 18+ guy falling in love with a girl with the body of a 12 year old.

Hetelia is pretty good commentary on WW1 Europe for the first 5 or 6 episodes, then abandons all that to appease shipping fushoji.

The first 26 episodes of Soul Eater are godlike (except for the dub which is one of the worst dubs I've ever heard), and the last 26 episodes of Soul Eater are complete shit.

Ghost Hunt is really good but will stop being the show you enjoyed in order to turn itself into Scooby Doo.

Yamata's first time is funny if your brand of comedy involves listening to children talk about what they think sex is opposed to what it actually is.

Mnemosyne is just anime Painkiller Jane with more lolis

Spice and Wolf is the best lesson you'll get about 12th century Economics you could ever ask for.

Jellyfish Princess is pretty fucking godlike.

Sekirei is basically girls with tits bigger than their heads fighting each other for reasons.

Blood+ is pretty solid, but also fairly slow.

Kill La Kill is dumb until it becomes "dumb " and then it's dumb.

Jex

Incidentally, I don't really have the time to write all I'd like about the shows on your list in the OP but if you ever want some advice later on please feel free to drop by AnimeGAF and either myself or some other fine folk will be able to assist you with your anime watching.

TCRS

Banned
Welcome to the NHK: great anime with a story that a lot of us can relate to. it's not complicated and doesn't have a weird style like a lot of other animes. I think it's a good beginners anime.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Ouran High School Host Club is a pretty fun romcom with the emphasis on the com, and it's made by BONES back when they were known for actually making good things

Jellyfish Princess is also good but I don't remember the anime all that well so I can't really say why it's good

I assume everyone else will be mentioning attack on titan and FMA and stuff

Skittles

What I expected of Madoka Magica: Panty shots, half-baked animation, and generic story

What it actually is: Animation better than some movies, a dark story, no fanservice, and fantastic music.

phaze

From that list I would recommend:

Fate/Zero - Great production values, zero fanservice, great and dark story of seven mages battling for the holy grail. Don't be discouraged by a bit ridiculous premise or 40 minutes of exposition in the first episode. Can be a bit slow and overtalky at times too. Second season is a magnitude better than the first. One of my absolute favorites.

Madoka Magica - Don't really want to spoil it but it's a very interesting take on the magic girls genre. Great plot with plenty of surprises. Same writer as Fate/Zero, at 12 episodes it doesn't waste a minute of your time.

FMA Brotherhood - Perhaps the most visually impressive show I've seen and it's all the more impressive given the 60+ episode count. The first 12 episodes are rushed as hell (if you can, watch the first 24 or so episodes of OG FMA) The story goes into some stupid places but it's a good show nonetheless.

+ Attack on Titan - Bad pacing, bland characters but some great twists and action sequences.

Protag

Banned
Fate/Zero is so goooood, please watch it.

My man Kiritsugu.

Loking foward to the stay night adaptation.

Edit: forgot to mention Madoka is actually good, to my surprise. My ex made me watch it, and i was real reluctant. Turns out that i really liked it.

Also? It was written by Fate/Zero Writer Gen Urubochi, which really really caught me by surprise.

Also, while its not on netflix, watch Psycho-Pass, a great gem of an anime.

Giolon

If you liked FLCL, give Kill La Kill a shot. It came out of nowhere to be one of my favorite anime series of all time. It's unafraid to both mock and revel in anime tropes and it's really a smart show in how it plays with a lot of those conventions. However, it's also intensely dumb and everything that is anime turned up to 11 at basically all times. It starts off with a girl with a giant scissor blade trying to find the person who killed her father and it ends with (technically, slight spoilers only to highlight the levels of absurdity of the show)
everybody naked

Attack on Titan is also a pretty great show, but some people find it to be too grimdark. It's about people fighting giants w/ steampunk spiderman gear. If that doesn't pique your interest, it's hard to say much else about it that will.

I've been told Sidonia is very good, but I haven't seen it b/c I don't have Netflix.

Soul Eater is a lot of fun. If you don't avoid shonen fighters like the plague, it has great production values, the plot moves along at a decent clip, it's funny, and the action is good. The storytelling takes an absolutely massive nosedive in quality toward the end, though, when it stops following the manga.

Fate/Zero takes a little bit to get going as it's very, very talky (and it still can be later on), but it has some pretty interesting themes and the story (which is basically "we all summoned historical figures to fight each other" but way better than that sounds like it would be) is fantastic. The animation is also incredible.

Don't ever watch Tenchi Muyo GXP, even if you like the other Tenchi shows. It's unfunny garbage.

HoosTrax

I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to anime, but I have started watching Initial D on Netflix and I'd recommend to people interested in motorsport / racing. The series is about drifting and touge on winding Japanese mountain roads. Lots of 90s era JDM cars for people into that kind of thing, with a particular focus on the Toyota AE86. Interesting juxtapositioning of hand-drawn anime and computer graphics for the car animations. Catchy main theme.

I tried Fate/Zero but couldn't get into it even after 9 episodes. The whole Alexander the Great/resurrection of historical characters thing is just too hokey for me. Also LOTS of standing around and talking. When there was action it was cool, but it's very sporadic.

Ieu

I was quite surprised by Ironman: Rise of Technovore as it is actually made by Madhouse which I wasn't expecting...

They removed most of the good stuff, but you watched most of that already anyway.

FMA: Brotherhood is great and most people prefer it over FMA (I don't, but I love both) and you should already know what makes it enjoyable. The first episodes rush through everything though and won't be much fun. Also the last 13 episodes or so are not on Netflix

Attack on Titan is extremely popular partly because it has an interesting and dramatic setting. But most of it is kind of shit imo.

Kill la Kill is a love it or hate it kind of show. There is some good humor in the show and the absurdity is fun, but I disliked most of it.

That is everything I've seen from that list. Planning on watching Welcome to the NHK though, haven't heard anything other than positive impressions about it.

EDIT:

Does the UK version of Netflix have a similar list?

Uhm, well.

54a63ab317.png

Alright.

Fate/Zero - Great animation. Great designs. Great fights. I liked how it wasn't FIGHTFIGHTFIGHT all episode every episode. It's basically about heroes of legend and history being summoned back into the world at the control of mages who fight for the Holy Grail, which will grant them any wish they want. It's a prequel to Fate/Stay Night, showing events 10 years prior. Knowledge of the original is not required.

Madoka - Great show. Give it a few episodes before you judge it. It looks like a typical little girl Sailor Moon like show but things get a little dark down the road. It's actually somewhat depressing.

Spice and Wolf - This show is great. There is almost zero action in it but it's still very interesting. I will say though that last time I checked Netflix only had Season 2, but that may have changed.

Watch Attack on Titan. It is one of the best anime that I have seen in the past EVER. The characters feel real and not like the robots that are in most anime. The soundtrack in killer. From what I can remember it also has no filler or fan-service or useless characters. It is simply a well put together anime.

FMA: Brotherhood is better then normal FMA in every way possible. Story,characters, and plot are all better.

If you have a friend watch Vampire Knight. It is the best dumb anime to watch with someone if you like to make jokes.

Blood+ is kind of good. There are some stuff that I don't like about the show but I get over it.

TimmiT

Fate/Zero: Fantastic animation and action sequences and good story and characters. The first episode is basically all exposition, but after that it's pretty great.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood: The first 13 episodes kinda rush through the story, but seeing how you've already watched the original anime adaptation you've already seen that part of the story anyway. Aside from that, it's got better animation than the original and after those 13 eps you get to see what the story in the manga is like.

Madoka Magica: Fun take on magical girl animes, can't really get into more of it without spoiling it.

Kill la Kill: Really just dumb fun. Does have a lot of fanservice, but the show is so crazy it kinda fits in anyway.

Blue Exorcist: It's alright until it deviates from the manga. Good characters and animation. Don't know if the movie is on Netflix, but it's better than the tv show and has some amazing art.

Minus vote to Attack on Titan: Has a great concept and there are times where it's actually fun to watch, but those moments are usually five minutes per 5-10 episodes. Aside from those moments it has terrible pacing and bland characters, making it just incredibly boring to watch. Good opening theme though.

OK, giving my opinions on every show I've seen:

Attack on Titan - An interesting series with a dark setting and a lot of plot twists. Basically, it's the anime equivalent of a Walking Dead type show, however you feel about that. There is a lot of shouting and speech-giving, and the show gets pretty slow in the middle, but I found it very entertaining.

Soul Eater - A very fun action show with interesting characters and good action. Until it splits from the manga around episode 37, that is, whereupon it goes WAY downhill, but it's still worth checking out, IMO. An earlier poster said the dub was terrible, but he couldn't be more wrong. In particular, the voice for the main character, Maka, is definitely far better in the English dub than the Japanese dub. Oh, speaking of that, this is one of the few action anime aimed at young boys / teens to have a female lead.

FMA: Brotherhood - Great action show with wonderful characters and a really interesting plot and setting. Note that the beginning is rather rushed, since it's trying to get past the material covered by the first anime quickly, and that the ending is a bit dragged out.

Rosario + Vampire - Skip. The anime is a terrible harem romance. The manga is actually a lot better, since it turns into more of an action series, but the ending of that is really dragged out and bad, and it wasn't even that good when it was good.

Ouran High School Host Club - A fun romantic comedy, somewhat parodying romance stories aimed at young girls and teens.

Fairy Tail - Generic action series for boys and teens, but it's a pretty fun one. The animation is terrible for the first several episodes, but it gets better... though it never actually gets good.

D. Gray-man - A darker action series for boys and teens. The first 52 episodes are rather boring and are pretty padded with filler, but the anime gets a lot better after that point. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure only the first 52 episodes were ever dubbed, and I'm not sure what exactly was put on Netflix. The anime in general also ends without anything resolved, but there's no point in turning to the manga after that, because the manga becomes absolutely terrible almost right after the point where the anime ends.

Legend of the Legendary Heroes - Now you'd think from this title that it would be a comedy, but it isn't. Besides some halfhearted and lame comedy scenes, this series is dead serious. My understanding is that this story is actually meant to be a prequel to a book series, which will never be adapted into an anime since this was a big flop in Japan, and it feels like it, if you know my meaning. There are some neat parts, but I don't recommend this series.

My Bride is a Mermaid - A hilarious romantic comedy series, though be warned, this show really likes the "EVERYONE IS SHOUTING CRAZY THINGS ARE HAPPENING" sort of comedy.

Madoka Magica - Out of all the series listed, this is probably the one that can most be considered a modern classic. It's a dark take on the magical girl genre, but despite how a lot of people describe it, it isn't a "dark parody" or anything like that. It simply uses the trappings of the magical girl genre to tell an interesting story.

Sengoku Basura: Samurai Kings - Another fun action series aimed at young boys / teens, this time based on a Capcom video game. Despite being a video game adaptation, it isn't bad, but it also isn't that amazing.

Tenchi Muyo GXP - Zzzzz

Eden of the East - An interesting anime, but the movies that conclude the story are pretty terrible.

Spice and Wolf - A wonderful romantic fantasy story with great characters, which places its focus on an unexpected aspect.
Medieval economics. Seriously, there are entire story arcs about things like the main guy, a merchant, trying to take advantage of how a town is planning on lowering the amount of silver in its coins. Better than it sounds.
The second season of the anime was unfortunately a flop, so the anime won't be covering the whole story of the original novels, but thankfully, the novels are being published in English... with questionable covers.

Hetalia Axis Powers
Hetalia World Series - Based on a webcomic by a world history major, these collections of shorts are decently amusing... or horribly offensive, depending on your viewpoint. You'll get that when all of the characters are personifications of nations, after all. The series also gets a lot of hatred for its obsessive fandom (largely made up of women), however you want to view that.

Black Butler - First of all, you should know that this is a series filled with "pretty men" meant to appeal to women, which may make you uncomfortable. Besides that, I thought it was a decently interesting series with a supernatural mystery flavor. The first season of the anime creates its own ending, and the second season is an original story and pretty bad overall. There is currently a third season running in Japan that's back on track of adapting the manga, and it's decent so far.

Blue Exorcist - Another generic action series aimed at young boys / teens. Before it can really even get started with its main story, it deviates from the manga and creates its own weird story. I hear the movie that concludes the anime story is decent, though.

Get hip to that Birdy the Mighty: Decode. Awesome action/sci-fi series starring a competent female lead.

Also seconding Eden of the East. One of the best anime ever.

KillGore

Attack on titan is the most mainstream right now, even if it's not the best (FMA: B is a million times better), so start with that

Squishy3

For those suggesting Brotherhood, note Netflix does not have all of it on there. So... yeah. It's missing the last batch of episodes. IIRC though they're available to watch on Funimation's website unless they locked them behind their premium service recently.

I recommend Sword Arts Online.

I believe it's Japanese dub, English sub.

I really don't consider SAO to be good anime. Or at least I would never show it so someone who wasn't into anime as an example of what the medium has to offer. It has everything negative about the medium. A Gary Stu main character who meats Mary Sue. They have an absolutely perfect relationship and both happen to be the best players in the game. It has harem elements. Females throw themselves at the oblivious main character. It has brother/sister incest that ends up being justified in-universe by the two characters being biological cousins. Most people in the US aren't comfortable with brother/sister incest, and the pair were raised as brother and sister so the "they are actually cousins" thing makes it no less creepy. It has a dedicated underaged sexualized female character named Silica who gets attacked by a tentacle monster complete with panty shot. It has a villain who has several on-screen psuedo-rape scenes. It has the ridiculous plot point of a father being able to marry off his comatose daughter.

Basically I wouldn't consider it good in the sense that I wouldn't dare show it to anyone who wasn't into anime and wanted an example of what the medium's best had to offer.

I really don't consider SAO to be good anime. Or at least I would never show it so someone who wasn't into anime as an example of what the medium has to offer. It has everything negative about the medium. A Gary Stu main character who meats Mary Sue. They have an absolutely perfect relationship and both happen to be the best players in the game. It has harem elements. Females throw themselves at the oblivious main character. It has brother/sister incest that ends up being justified in-universe by the two characters being biological cousins. Most people in the US aren't comfortable with brother/sister incest, and the pair were raised as brother and sister so the "they are actually cousins" thing makes it no less creepy. It has a dedicated underaged sexualized female character named Silica who gets attacked by a tentacle monster complete with panty shot. It has a villain who has several on-screen psuedo-rape scenes. It has the ridiculous plot point of a father being able to marry off his comatose daughter.

Basically I wouldn't consider it good in the sense that I wouldn't dare show it to anyone who wasn't into anime and wanted an example of what the medium's best had to offer.

SAO is good for gamers who have played any MMO

Its got it's issues, but at least the first half is fun

A_Gorilla

Banned
FMA Both adaptations.

Seriously both Brotherhood and the original are equally good. I don't understand why weeaboos insist that you can only like one or the other.

Since they removed Queen's Blade, Heaven's Lost Property is good for some perverted fun/fanservice.

Blood+ is excellent.

Welcome to the NHK is an excellent but somber look on Japanese society so its great if you are interested in that.

Attack on Titan...no. The first episode hooks you in. But then its episode after episode of angsty teenagers and stupid adults with MAYBE 5 minutes of good action at the end.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Almost forgot...Digimon first season, first half of season two and all of season three.

English dub of course. Japanese dub is worse than DBZ's...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom