• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good anime on Netflix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korten

Banned
SAO is good for gamers who have played any MMO

Its got it's issues, but at least the first half is fun

I wouldn't even consider it that. If you want a good anime for gamers, Log Horizon is a lot better. SAO doesn't even make it clear how the rules of the MMO even really work, it barely even feels like it's an MMO...
Basically it's an MMO in name only.

Jarlaxle

I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to anime, but I have started watching Initial D on Netflix and I'd recommend to people interested in motorsport / racing. The series is about drifting and touge on winding Japanese mountain roads. Lots of 90s era JDM cars for people into that kind of thing, with a particular focus on the Toyota AE86. Interesting juxtapositioning of hand-drawn anime and computer graphics for the car animations. Catchy main theme.
I'm not really into cars but something about initial D really grabbed me. I loved the whole thing. I honestly wish there was more. Very fun series.

Zubz

Banned
What I expected of Madoka Magica: Panty shots, half-baked animation, and generic story

What it actually is: Animation better than some movies, a dark story, no fanservice, and fantastic music.

Basically, with a tinge of German Philosophy. Madoka's definitely something I recommend to everyone. I usually say to give a show 2 episodes before giving up on it, but with Madoka? I'd recommend going for 4 before decideing.

Reallink

Attack on Titan could just about (minus a couple of animu tropes) play as a Premium Channel's Original Series and likely win a lot of awards. I could easily envision anyone, in any demographic, sitting down and enjoying it.

kingkitty

Attack on Titan could just about (minus a couple of animu tropes) play as a Premium Channel's Original Series and likely win a lot of award. I could easily envision anyone, in any demographic, sitting down and enjoying it.

What awards would Attack on Titan win?

Divus

The fact no one has mentioned Trigun concerns me. It's easily one of my favorite series ever made and better than most of everything else listed here.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is amazing like everyone else said minus the missing last episodes.

SoulEater is a ton of fun to watch, but never seen it in English.

Fairy Tail is quite entertaining but I've never watched it in English either.

Initial D is so hype, and I'm not even into car racing. Oh and dat Eurobeat soundtrack.

Kill La Kill is amazing, as well as Fairy Tail.

TrounceX

Spice and Wolf - May need an economics degree to fully understand some of the shit that goes down in this anime. Incredibly intelligent, unique, and some of the best dialogue and banter between characters of any show I've ever seen, anime or not. You will love Holo. Everybody loves Holo

Fate/Zero
- Great story with an interesting premise, sky high production values, and awesome action sequences. It's also incredibly dark and pulls absolutely no punches.

My Bride is a Mermaid - Surprisingly hilarious. Had me rolling more than a few times and I don't generally find anime humor all that funny.

Madoka Magica - A deconstruction of the magical girl genre. Don't be fooled by the animation, this show is also very dark and gets downright depressing near the end. Top notch story by anime standards, just don't let anyone else see you watching it...

FMA: Brotherhood - Doesn't really need an explanation. Every person should see this anime. The end.

I won't comment much on SAO or Attack on Titan because enough will be said about those two regardless. Casual anime watchers seem to enjoy them, whereas the more hardcore anime watchers claim they do not...and then make fun of those that do. I will also say that both are more popular than they should be, and they both suffer from massive pacing issues, particularly in their second halves.

Ambition

Spice and Wolf - May need an economics degree to fully understand some of the shit that goes down in this anime. Incredibly intelligent, unique, and some of the best dialogue and banter between characters of any show I've ever seen, anime or not. You will love Holo. Everybody loves Holo
This OP this is the only anime you need, the dub is incredible and the characters are so endearing it makes you wanna
go out an travel with them.

ionitron

A lot of people have recommended FMA: Brotherhood but honestly I could go on about it forever.

I haven't seen the original show like you have so I don't want to sound redundant in my description, but it's an incredible, incredible show. You really see the characters strive for their goal, and the themes are amazing. I like it setting a lot, I always described it as a very un-anime anime since its material seems to be derived more from western/European culture- but again, you know that much by now too haha. I just think its very grounded and well put together, and easier to relate to as a result

If anything it's the relationships that the characters have with each other that truly make the show shine. Edward, Alphonse, Hoenheim, Winry, Mustang, Hughes, etc. Especially the first three. And they're so human, it's amazing.

FMA Both adaptations.

Seriously both Brotherhood and the original are equally good. I don't understand why weeaboos insist that you can only like one or the other.

Since they removed Queen's Blade, Heaven's Lost Property is good for some perverted fun/fanservice.

Blood+ is excellent.

Welcome to the NHK is an excellent but somber look on Japanese society so its great if you are interested in that.

Attack on Titan...no. The first episode hooks you in. But then its episode after episode of angsty teenagers and stupid adults with MAYBE 5 minutes of good action at the end.

Did you just become my best friend? I felt like I was the only person who thought Attack on Titan was just angsty teen's kill giants. But you might like it OP, everyone in the world seems to.

But yeah, I'd recommend Welcome to the NHK. It starts really slow but the story, characters, and themes are really good. It'll make you pretty depressed though, so watch out.

You've stated you watched FMA, and I'm assuming you only mean the first one since you listed the second. It's good but since you've seen the first series, the second series is gonna start out pretty much the same up until the middle.

Soul Eater's a crazy trip with some amazing animation and humor, but it drops in quality towards the end.

Initial D is strangely addicting, so you could try it out. The visual style of the first few seasons is really dated though. If you're into cars, racing, drifting, or all of the above, you'll probably like Initial D.

It's not on Netflix but you should check it out anyway, Mongolian Chop Squad. If you like rock, you know people in a band, and/or you've been in a band, it's a great show for you. It's similar to Welcome to the NHK since it's really realistic but it's a lot less depressing.

The fact no one has mentioned Trigun concerns me. It's easily one of my favorite series ever made and better than most of everything else listed here.

OP stated he's seen it already. We're only suggesting shows he hasn't seen.

TimmiT

I won't comment much on SAO or Attack on Titan because enough will be said about those two regardless. Casual anime watchers seem to enjoy them, whereas the more hardcore anime watchers claim they do not...and then make fun of those that do. I will also say that both are more popular than they should be, and they both suffer from massive pacing issues, particularly in their second halves.

As a casual anime watcher, I think that Attack on Titan is pretty shit. SAO is alright for the first 15 episodes, though I wouldn't call it one of the best anime.

noquarter

I believe Trigun is back on NetFlix, I enjoyed it when it came out years ago. It is a sci-fi wild west story about a the 65 Billion Double Dollar man. He is followed by two insurance (I believe that's what they are, haven't seen the show in over a decade) agents and travels through the world. It starts off pretty light, with some serious episodes, but by the end is a lot more serious.

I've just started Deathnote, and it seems alright, only about a third of the way done with the series. It's about a notebook that belongs to a God of Death and if written in the person named will die. There are a bunch of different rules to killing people using it, not quite that easy. It gets picked up by one of Japan's brightest high-school students, who then feels he can use it to make the world better for everyone. Like I said, haven't finished it, so can tell about the whole series.

My daughter really likes Squid Girl, and I'm pretty sure I've seen almost all of them. It is about a girl, who is actually a squid and washes up on the beach. She ends up working at the restaurant on the beach, while at the same time trying to take over the world? Think that is what is happening, like I said, I haven't seen it in order. The episodes are all pretty light hearted and are amusing.
My daughter is five, so enjoying stuff she likes is part of my duty

find: Chobits

bkwKq.gif

Depends what you mean by "casual". There's the casual viewers who don't watch a lot of anime, they tend to be easily impressed with anime like AoT and SAO.

Then there's the hardcore "casuals" that love almost everything anime. I guess "casual" isn't the name since they watch a lot, but they're easily impressed or they always go for the junkfood anime. Something trope heavy with tons of single faceted Mary/Gary Sue characters and the sorts, they eat it all up if it's drawn all anime-like. I have too many friends who fall into this category and that's what category I'm guessing most hardcore anime viewers fall into. None of them really watch any of the good stuff like Monster which stray too far from the tropes and cliches.

There's also the other "hardcore" casuals. They're viewers not accustomed to anime but they critique it like they would something they'd normally watch. I know a few people who fall into this category, they're big film buffs that know good and bad cinematography, cuts, direction, pacing, acting, dialogue, etc. when they see or hear it. They apply this same eye and ear to anime.

OT: I've never seen Kill la Kill, but I've heard very conflicting things about it. Apparently there's too much gratuitous fanservice which for very obvious reasons was made to play a role in the show. It's something like the less clothes is on you, the more power you have, which is actually kind of true even in real life, sometimes. That might turn you off and it certainly turns me off, but it's directed by the animation director of FLCL, and that show had amazing animation as you probably already know. I'll give it a go one day, but the director probably went out of his way to add extra FLCL level animations to the jiggles.

SAO is good for gamers who have played any MMO

Its got it's issues, but at least the first half is fun

Not it's not. The author is awful at creating game worlds as he apparently was never a gamer or at least MMORPG gamer and that shows. The more you're into games the more annoyed you're gonna get at the shoddy world building.

Necrovex

Almost forgot...Digimon first season, first half of season two and all of season three.

English dub of course. Japanese dub is worse than DBZ's...

The English dub is horrible with all the changes made for censoring reasons. Unless the shows were redubbed to fit the original script.

Also Tamers is a god-tier anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom