• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Officially announced. WiFi: $299/£239.99 - LTE: $399/£299.99

Baleoce

I figured now that it's official it deserved another thread.

Source: USA/Canada
Source: UK
Geforce

Release:

USA & Canada: July 29th
Europe: August 14th

shield-tablet-and-shield-wireless-controller-titanfall-640px.png

Mobile gaming boomed in recent years, but despite this incredible popularity a high-performance mobile device designed for the most discerning gamers failed to materialize. In response we created SHIELD, a portable gaming device marrying incredible graphics and precision controls in an all-in-one portable form factor. Since release, SHIELD has continually improved with the addition of innovative technologies like GameStream and Console Mode, and a growing library of blockbuster games titles like Half-Life 2 and Portal.

Serious gamers want amazing game experiences whenever and wherever, be that at home on their PC, or on the go. This is why we built SHIELD, to deliver spectacular gaming to dedicated gamers anywhere, anytime. Today, we are expanding our SHIELD family with the release of SHIELD tablet and SHIELD wireless controller. Designed with gamers in mind, the SHIELD tablet offers PC-grade performance, crystal clear audio, and the best entertainment and gaming content. Pair it with the optional SHIELD wireless controller and you have the ultimate tablet experience for PC and Android gamers. Designed from the ground-up to be the ultimate gaming tablet, delivering perfect mix of power, portability and performance, SHIELD tablet is the only game in town.

game-options-1.gif
game-options-2.gif

game-options-3.gif
game-options-4.gif

Pricing:

ikejunEo1HCJy.png

Controller:

shield-wireless-controller-top-640px.png

shield-wireless-controller-exploded-view-640px.jpg

Features:

Console-grade controls
Ultra-responsive Wi-Fi performance
Stereo headset jack with chat
Microphone for voice search
Touch pad for easy navigation
Rechargeable battery
USB charging cable

USA: $59.99
UK: £49.99

Shield Tablet Cover:

tablet-cover-main.png

tablet-cover-side.png

tablet-cover-side2.png

Features:

Polyurethane design
Microfiber inner lining
Entertainment stand
Keyboard stand
Magnetic connection
Wake on open. Sleep on close

USA: $39.99
UK: £24.99

Video:

SHIELD Tablet: Built For Gamers
High Performance Gaming: Everywhere
Gamestream
Unreal Engine 4 "Rivalry" tech demo - Google I/O 2014

Also just to note, the recent mobile versions of Portal and Half Life 2 are optimized for Tegra K1 devices.

Related Articles:

Digital Foundry: Hands-on with Nvidia Shield Tablet (Micro-console meets tablet meets PC gameplay extender.)
The Verge: Nvidia's Shield Tablet wants to be the ultimate gaming device
Digital Spy: Hands On First Impressions
TechRadar: Hands On (First Impressions) Review

el_brio

Neo Member
Lots of bitching in the last thread. What people seem to forget is that if you are in the market for a 8" Android tablet, this is by far your best option at this point. I was waiting for a nexus 8 but will probably get this simply because I want a good 8" tablet. The gaming capabilities are purely a bonus.

For $300 you get the best (spec wise), fastest 8" Android tablet available. As a bonus you also get:

1. Integrated controller support
2. An available controller peripheral specifically designed for the tablet
3. Access to a growing library of Tegra optimized aps such as Mount and Blade, Portal and Half Life 2
4. A second generation stylus that by all reports is pretty kick-ass and has low latency
5. Front firing speakers and bass ports
6. HDMI out
7. Console mode which allows you to use the tablet as an android console
8. Micro SD support. No way you will see that on a Nexus 8

At this point, if you want an 8" Android tablet what the hell else are you going to get? Other than waiting for a Nexus 8 this is clearly your best option. Even if you decide to wait for a Nexus 8, there is no way it is going to have any of the above extras such as micro sd/hdmi out etc. I just don't understand all the whining about this.

Ocho

At this point, if you want an 8" Android tablet what the hell else are you going to get? Other than waiting for a Nexus 8 this is clearly your best option. Even if you decide to wait for a Nexus 8, there is no way it is going to have any of the above extras such as micro sd/hdmi out etc. I just don't understand all the whining about this.

Agreed with this. I was looking for a cheap 8 inch 16:10 tablet. I probably won't play console games on this thing, but I'm interested in a couple of mobile games like The Room, etc.

Damn, not the 64 bit K1. I was hoping someone other than Apple would have one out by now (an ARMv8 compatible mobile CPU core).

Damn this seems like a no brainer at that price. How does the in home PC streaming work when compared with Steam in home streaming?

DatAhmedz

I would've honestly picked this up if I didn't pick up an iPad Air a few months ago. I've been meaning to pick up a Shield for GameStream.

ZeroX03

Banned
Damn this seems like a no brainer at that price. How does the in home PC streaming work when compared with Steam in home streaming?

Better from my own personal testing, and supports stuff outside Steam (I'm assuming you have to add stuff to your Steam library to stream it? Barely played around with it). Only thing that beats it is Wii U.

Only if this Tablet ran on windows. Android gaming is terrible.

Not if you like emulation or have a desktop with an NVIDIA card.

Given the lack of specifics I gather that the stylus does not support pressure and/or tilt functions? Without pressure support it's kind of a useless feature for any aspiring artists.

Dolor

Not sure why I would want this when I can get a Windows tablet for the same price that works with my whole Steam catalog.

el_brio

Neo Member
Given the lack of specifics I gather that the stylus does not support pressure and/or tilt functions? Without pressure support it's kind of a useless feature for any aspiring artists.

It supports pressure and is supposedly much lower latency than the wacom digitizer used for Galaxy Note.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Damn, not the 64 bit K1. I was hoping someone other than Apple would have one out by now (an ARMv8 compatible mobile CPU core).

Yeah while it is a K1 processor it's not the big daddy 64 bit that they really hyped.

I'm not totally sold on this thing for gaming or anything, but if you want an 8 inch tablet it does have just generally great tablet specs for the price. I mean good resolution, solid performance, and doesn't skimp on ports like micro sd slot and hdmi out.

oti

Banned
So, I have:
- PC with a GTX 770
- huge Steam library, some games on uPlay, some games on Origin

I want:
- something more powerful than my current iPad mini 1
- a good stylus
- deep Evernote integration

I don't want:
- to buy another controller, I already own a DS3 and a Wii U Pro

Is this a good option? I was thinking about switching from iOS to Android. I already own a Chromecast and recently bought a Chromebook for Uni.

Why can't someone just make a fucking wii U pad (no android shit, just the screen, wifi module and whatever is needed to decode and display it) for pc...
nvidia already have shadowplay to encode in real time at 60 fps with no real performance impact

Instead they make some shitty android tablet

Why can't someone just make a fucking wii U pad (no android shit, just the screen, wifi module and whatever is needed to decode and display it) for pc...
nvidia already have shadowplay to encode in real time at 60 fps with no real performance impact

How is this shitty?

Really like it. Its 8 inches, comes with a stylus and is cheaper than my galaxy note 8. I might get one if its at a good price during black friday so I can upgrade. Ill give my bro my note 8 if I do so

SteveWD40

Would that controller work on PC? Since it's sold seperatly...

Would be a sweet PC controller as it's true wireless and has a touchpad.

Isn't this is what Nintendo was thinking their next gen platform was going to look like?

Man if Nvidia and Nintendo could do a fusion dance... Nvidendo...

ZeroX03

Banned
So, I have:
- PC with a GTX 770
- huge Steam library, some games on uPlay, some games on Origin

I want:
- something more powerful than my current iPad mini 1
- a good stylus
- deep Evernote integration

I don't want:
- to buy another controller, I already own a DS3 and a Wii U Pro

Is this a good option? I was thinking about switching from iOS to Android. I already own a Chromecast and recently bought a Chromebook for Uni.

Great option. DS3 will work with USB, would need to root it to work wirelessly.

This is a high end tablet at a great price. Regardless of gaming, it's one of the best tablets currently available.

379ch.gif

el_brio

Neo Member
Would that controller work on PC? Since it's sold seperatly...

Would be a sweet PC controller as it's true wireless and has a touchpad.

For $60 you would be better off just getting a bluetooth Xbox 360 controller. Pretty much every game that supports a controller is designed to use a 360 controller. Why make life hard on yourself?

The fuck? the Shield tablet is already what you describe, if you despise Android so much, I can make you an app that will open the nVidia app as soon as the tablet boots so you never have to see Android, and all you get is the games lol.

Oxirane

How does it compare to the Windows 8 Atom based tablets like the Dell Venue 8 Pro?

I was planning to try Steam in-home streaming with one of those.

oti

Banned
Great option. DS3 will work with USB, would need to root it to work wirelessly.

Awesome! I hope the battery can handle a whole day of lectures, other than that I'm on board! I might even get the controller after all, I've been using the DS3 on PC via motionjoy all this time which works fine, but it's still a hassle to connect it (I'm using it wirelessly).

How does it compare to the Windows 8 Atom based tablets like the Dell Venue 8 Pro?

I think it has better GPU performance than any Windows 8 baytrail tablets... except that it can only play Android games. So, a Dell Venue 8 Pro will have the edge. If you're planning for Steam in home streaming, get a Venue 8 pro.

el_brio

Neo Member
A petty nice Android tablet. I am curious how smooth streaming games would be with my 50 mbps internet though...

From what I have read, streaming over the internet is pretty crappy. Latency is more important than your fat 50mbps pipe. Over a home network, your 50mbps doesn't come into play at all. With a decent router it is supposed to be very good. There are some videos on youtube.

This will have Android instead of Windows 8, which in my opinion is a better OS for Mobile, you also get better battery life, smaller footprint among other things.

As for Steam Streaming, nVidia implementation is a bit more mature than Valve's but its not noticeable, it works almost exactly the same.

If you are dying to use some specific Windows desktop apps, you are better off with the Dell, otherwise I would get the Shield instead.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I think it has better GPU performance than any Windows 8 baytrail tablets... except that it can only play Android games. So, a Dell Venue 8 Pro will have the edge. If you're planning for Steam in home streaming, get a Venue 8 pro.

Nvidia tablet will be better if only because you won't be playing at 1280 x 800 which is a big downgrade for most PC players.

el_brio

Neo Member

Why exactly? If you are going to stream in-house this will do it just as well and it has a better GPU. For native windows aps, I would agree with you.

McHuj

Personally, I don't find a use case for this. On the go, I don't want to carry a controller and a tablet.

At home, I rather game on a big monitor or TV.

I wish NVIDIA would release a better streaming solution for the home.

Top Bottom