• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Officially announced. WiFi: $299/£239.99 - LTE: $399/£299.99

theytookourjobz

If streaming is the main thing I want should I just grab a Shield 1? Is this $100 (+ controller I suppose) better at streaming my Steam games than the original?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
No you can't. Unless they changed things in the last few months, you need something like a Surface Pro (i.e. something that runs the full version of Win 8 not the mobile version). Surface Pros are around triple this price.

You need to learn more about the wonderful world of Windows 8 tablets! You can get tablets with full Windows for really cheap now.

I kinda wish this was a Windows 8 tablet.

Im more comfortable with the Galaxy Tab S 8.4 but i have to admit, for a 8 inch tablet it is not a bad deal. Too bad im not at all into phone/tablet gaming.

SteveWD40

For $60 you would be better off just getting a bluetooth Xbox 360 controller. Pretty much every game that supports a controller is designed to use a 360 controller. Why make life hard on yourself?

Because there isn't a bluetooth 360 controller, the only wireless ones have a massive dongle with about 2 foot of cable on.

For a laptop, having true wireless is better.

The touchpad is a nice feature and I imagine if it does work on PC it will support Xinput, essntially making it a 360 pad with a better dpad, connection and touchpad.

ViciousDS

Banned
totally buying one, been waiting for a high end tablet for awhile now and this price.....is unreal. Best bang for buck gaming or no gaming.

Sucks that the controller is so much.....might have to see what app support we get if I can use something else.......would love to use my DS4 on it.

It is an 8" Android tablet. Lots of people like the 8" form factor. According to the specs, this appears to be the best 8" tablet out there at the moment. People have been waiting for a Nexus 8 for a long time. This tablet was just announced and the specs pretty much blow the rumored N8 specs out of the water. It sounds like it isn't for you, but I don't understand why you can fathom why people would want a feature-rich 8" Android tablet.

I get that but the shield was not a tablet

MrBenchmark

You need to learn more about the wonderful world of Windows 8 tablets! You can get tablets with full Windows for really cheap now.

exactly just to show here is steam streaming to my Lenovo Miix 2 8
http://1drv.ms/1yX6ccx

quick dirty video but just to show there are other devices that can do same thing

if your all into NVidia though this new tablet is a nice option , options are good.

Nzyme32

Kind of impressed with this. I'd like to get one but I need to sort out my PC stuff first. Assuming in the next year this tablet is doing well, this may well be the first ever tablet I own

oti

Banned
Mainly I'm interested in this as a tablet. I'm kinda done with bypassing iOS limitations and I really love Evernote + Stylus for my lectures. I hardly ever use any Apple services anyway so the switch to Android is intriguing. I'll see for how much I can sell my iPad mini 1 and make a decision when it gets released in Europe.

baconcow

Looks nice. I wonder if it will work with a PS4 controller? Also interested in what material the screen is (i.e. Gorilla Glass or other). I hate tablets with plastic screens.

An unspoken point here is that the Geforce Experience->Shield software integration is stable, high quality, and works great for home use. Steam streaming, the closest competitor, was a bit more fussy in my experience. The gamepad mapper for touch games (if you bother to play them) works great and there's much better pairity between the iOS and Google Play stores than there was a year ago. So there's a definite software/support valuation here that I think should be taken into account when comparing them with other tablets.

I'm torn on if I need this-I'd replace a very long in the tooth iPad 3 with this, but I already have the original Shield and don't think I'd use the streaming to the tablet all that much. Definitely a better value proposition for new, and not existing customers on this one.

BTW I have played through most of a 250 hour campaign of modded XCOM: Enemy Within on my Shield with zero issues from my living room. It's been great. My shield gets 10x more play than my other portables because it has what I want-PC games.

baconcow

I said that the availability is a bonus. All the advertising is pretty clear that the controller is sold separately.

Reworded, I agree with you. Good list, too. Was just confused originally as that is the first response I read. I thought maybe I was missing a bundle somewhere.

Yes, a shield would work, but I'd rather just have a cheap Chromecast type device that I can plug into a TV and use my own controller with. I don't want to pay $200 for the shield and features I don't use.

Not going to lie, that would be incredible and probably realistic, Im sure they are working on it already.

M3d10n

How is this shitty?

It's "shitty" because you have to pay $299 for hardware that's not going to get much use if you're only interested in streaming. A streaming-only device could be as cheap as $50.

It's ARM. If it were an Windows 8 tablet it would be a RT tablet, which is even more useless if you intend to game on it. NVidia doesn't have a license to make x86 SOCs, only Intel and AMD do and AMD, which puts W8 tablets into a conundrum: Intel's low-power GPUs aren't quite there yet and neither are AMD's low-power CPUs.

Chris R

Does this offer steam in game streaming? I was looking at a surface for this purpose since my MBA gets noisy and has terrible battery life.

Alchemy

If Dolphin runs well on this I'm getting it. Already tempted to pick one up because of the stylus, though it looks laggy in certain applications.

If Dolphin runs well on this I'm getting it. Already tempted to pick one up because of the stylus, though it looks laggy in certain applications.

Dolphin its in its infancy on Android, you can stream Dolphin from you local beefcake PC, and play like that though.

pfkas

I'd love to love this, but I can't figure it out.

I have an OG shield which by the time they sort out all the streaming issues - yes there was, for ages - I almost forgot I owned it. And the screen was so diddy I could barely see what was going on.

Fast forward to getting a Dell Venue Pro 8 and the steam streaming, now this is better. OK, I still think Nvidia's streaming has the edge, I just couldn't figure out how I was supposed to stream and control the Dell. I know that's not why I bought it and the steam streaming was a bonus so I didn't mind, but I felt like the 'I can't hold all these limes' guy however I tried to connect to it, other than sit at a table and put it on a stand.

The same deal with this new Gary Ablett. Powerful, sure. Nice controller, sure. But how am I supposed to move around even just the house and use it, say, curled up on the sofa or in bed, let alone on the move say on a train?

I'm still holding out for the gamevice, but i think that'll be vaporware judging from the lack of information.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
It's ARM. If it were an Windows 8 tablet it would be a RT tablet, which is even more useless if you intend to game on it. NVidia doesn't have a license to make x86 SOCs, only Intel and AMD do and AMD, which puts W8 tablets into a conundrum: Intel's low-power GPUs aren't quite there yet and neither are AMD's low-power CPUs.
I realize that there are many reasons it can't happen, but just in a dream world it would be awesome to have this power in an x86 Wimdows 8 tablet.

Somnid

It's $100 more than what? It's as cheap if not cheaper than the competition with better specs in it's size and form factor.

Sure it's not $200 like the current N7, but that's a shitty comparison to begin with. As of now this would be my go to recommendation for an Android tablet that is larger than last year's N7.

Why is it a shitty comparison? I'll point out the important differences:

- Shield has stylus support
- Shield has K1 SoC
- Shield has SD card support
- Shield does not have NFC support

There's some more trivial differences size, speaker position, cameras and some other things will probably be swept under the rug (color gamut? battery life?). Ultimately everything hinges on the K1 and if you really think that makes a big impact on how you will consume things on a tablet. I'd agree that if I were to buy the most high-end small tablet right this minute, this would be in the running but I'd be surprised if it could maintain that advantage for very long. You could also save $15 and get a 32GB 4G Kindle Fire HDX today for $285 and an S800 could certainly play any Android game full speed, will a K1 change that in the next year? That's what you need to bet on. This is pretty much where the Tegra Note was last year, not bad, but perhaps not good enough. To be truly competitive they really need to cut it about $50 because the only comparison here is last year's models and those are already nearing 1 year old.

How's latency with the Nvidia streaming technology? This would make it so much easier to play PC games on my TV in the other room, and I've been considering getting a tablet soon anyway. I had an HP Touchpad with Android on it, then sold that and upgraded to a Nexus 7 2012 basically for free, but sold that when I got my Galaxy S4. 8 inches seems like a really nice tablet size, since 7 inches was just a bit too small to justify having with a 5 inch phone.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Just so you guys know, I have no idea how well it works but Limelite, the reverse engineering of Nvidia's streaming technology, is available on Android. Have no idea how well it works. I don't have a compatible GPU. :(

Rourkey

Been looking for a smaller tablet with a stylus with 4g to replace a plain old ipad 4, this looks like it ticks all the boxes

I wonder if this explains the delay in the surface mini?

Top Bottom