• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Officially announced. WiFi: $299/£239.99 - LTE: $399/£299.99

Reallink

This will have Android instead of Windows 8, which in my opinion is a better OS for Mobile, you also get better battery life, smaller footprint among other things.

As for Steam Streaming, nVidia implementation is a bit more mature than Valve's but its not noticeable, it works almost exactly the same.

If you are dying to use some specific Windows desktop apps, you are better off with the Dell, otherwise I would get the Shield instead.

There is a project aiming to add Native Dual Boot Android to many of the more popular Win tabs.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Personally, I don't find a use case for this. On the go, I don't want to carry a controller and a tablet.

At home, I rather game on a big monitor or TV.

I wish NVIDIA would release a better streaming solution for the home.

To be fair this DOES have HDMI out. So in theory you could stream your PC to a big TV in another room via HDMI out on the tablet.

Personally, I don't find a use case for this. On the go, I don't want to carry a controller and a tablet.

At home, I rather game on a big monitor or TV.

I wish NVIDIA would release a better streaming solution for the home.

Im in the same boat as you, unfortunately though, my TVs are usually being used by other people in my house.

BTW what do you mean by:

"I wish NVIDIA would release a better streaming solution for the home."

If I understand what you are saying, the perfect device is the previous Shield...

Vanillalite

Nvidia, make a console based on Maxwell or Pascal architecture, and you can take my money.

The chipset is already in the works. The follow up to the K1 titled Erista is suppose to be based on Maxwell. I fully expect them to put out something when that chip hits be it another shield or shield tablet.

Oxirane

is the stylus similar to the one on surface pro 3? i remember the ntrig demo being pretty impressive.

I've been looking at videos of some active digitizers being used by tablets today and they don't seem any better (some look worse) than digitizers of the past.
I used an old Toshiba M400 about 5 years ago and it didn't seem to have the problems some of these new tablets with digitizers.

I think I'm gonna pick this up. I've kinda been interested in a 7-8" Android tablet and having something that does games well would be great. Especially emulators.

All I need is an HDMI cable and I'm set.

Somnid

Like I said in the other thread, it's okay in the sense that it's a good SoC bump over last year's flagships but other than that it's not much to write home about considering it's $100 more than those. I don't know that it will compare as favorably to new models in the next couple of months, the Nexus 8 of course rumored to use a K1 as well.

I'm somewhat interested in stylus support but in the end it's still a passive stylus. If it performed much better than capacitive styluses that would be interesting but I'm not seeing it in their video.

That looks like everything I wanted in a tablet. I hope this is a big hit for them!

Like I said in the other thread, it's okay in the sense that it's a good SoC bump over last year's flagships but other than that it's not much to write home about considering it's $100 more than those. I don't know that it will compare as favorably to new models in the next couple of months, the Nexus 8 of course rumored to use a K1 as well.

You mean the Nexus 8 that has been rumored for more than 7 months now, yet never seems to materialize? The rumored "specs" on that magical unicorn device change every six weeks. I don't think it is fair to compare an announced device with a device that only exists in android fansite journalist clickbait rumor stories.

What does nvidia's gamestreaming thing cover? I have steam, origin, emulators, and some standalone games.

I need something to use steam home streaming with my tv and I fucking hate laptops

the tablet part isn't that big of a deal since I have the ipad mini but emulators might be cool?

is there a better option?

ZeroX03

Banned
You can emulate on Windows. Desktop with a Nvidia card is cool for streaming but you have to be on the same network. Once you arent, you are stuck back with Android gaming. ugh.

Android's emulation is pretty top notch, and a lot of the portable Windows tablets aren't the best at it. Also some people like Android games FYI.

and no you don't need to be on the same network for game stream.

What does nvidia's gamestreaming thing cover? I have steam, origin, emulators, and some standalone games.

I need something to use steam home streaming with my tv and I fucking hate laptops

the tablet part isn't that big of a deal since I have the ipad mini but emulators might be cool?

is there a better option?

Regular Nvidia Shield might be better? Look into that.

It streams most PC games and emulators. Standalone games are usually fine.

Can I hook my Naga mouse to this thing and use it?

Yes.

Android's emulation is pretty top notch, and a lot of the portable Windows tablets aren't the best at it. Also some people like Android games FYI.

and no you don't need to be on the same network for game stream.

Emulation just isnt a system seller, its a plus when buying new hardware.

So how does the streaming work if you arent on the same network?

You can emulate on Windows. Desktop with a Nvidia card is cool for streaming but you have to be on the same network. Once you arent, you are stuck back with Android gaming. ugh.

But the alternative is having to use Windows on a tablet. No thank you.

For you maybe, but there are people who want good emulation devices.

ZeroX03

Banned

May not be a system seller for you dude. Original Shield is basically the best handheld emulation device by a mile.

It works by connecting to your PC over the internet. You need good up/down for it. Isn't perfect, but I had games playable over 4G.

May not be a system seller for you dude. Original Shield is basically the best handheld emulation device by a mile.

It works by connecting to your PC over the internet. You need good up/down for it. Isn't perfect, but I had games playable over 4G.

Ugh no thanks.

McHuj

Im in the same boat as you, unfortunately though, my TVs are usually being used by other people in my house.

BTW what do you mean by:

"I wish NVIDIA would release a better streaming solution for the home."

If I understand what you are saying, the perfect device is the previous Shield...

Yes, a shield would work, but I'd rather just have a cheap Chromecast type device that I can plug into a TV and use my own controller with. I don't want to pay $200 for the shield and features I don't use.

Somnid

That looks like everything I wanted in a tablet. I hope this is a big hit for them!

You mean the Nexus 8 that has been rumored for more than 7 months now, yet never seems to materialize? The rumored "specs" on that magical unicorn device change every six weeks. I don't think it is fair to compare an announced device with a device that only exists in android fansite journalist clickbait rumor stories.

This is like saying the next iPad is vaporware and iPhone 6 rumors are nothing but clickbait. These things are clockwork. The cycle sometime changes by a few months but we know it's coming, just like we know Amazon and Samsung will be releasing new ones too.

sk3tch

Great hardware for the price...but I'll wait for reviews and info on real-world battery life. I thought the Shield was cool when I owned one...but I'm hesitant RE: NVIDIA + mobile...they have had a bad history. I hope they can silence the doubters with this tab...but even Digital Foundry seems a bit reserved (I know their article was just a hands on and not a review) - the 32-bit K1 is used, because, surprise! Another mobile delay by NVIDIA...

As you should be able to a device that is what? 3- 4 times as expensive.

But hey, feel free to keep shitting on a $300 tablet that isn't as powerful as your $1000 tablet.

Im not shitting on this tablet. I wish this tablet was Windows instead of Android. Im not going to pay $300 bucks just to play Super Mario World and tetris cause they are perfect emulations!

nbthedude

Not sure why I would want this when I can get a Windows tablet for the same price that works with my whole Steam catalog.

No you can't. Unless they changed things in the last few months, you need something like a Surface Pro (i.e. something that runs the full version of Win 8 not the mobile version). Surface Pros are around triple this price.

Lots of bitching in the last thread. What people seem to forget is that if you are in the market for a 8" Android tablet, this is by far your best option at this point. I was waiting for a nexus 8 but will probably get this simply because I want a good 8" tablet. The gaming capabilities are purely a bonus.

For $300 you get the best (spec wise), fastest 8" Android tablet available. As a bonus you also get:

1. Integrated controller support
2. An available controller peripheral specifically designed for the tablet
3. Access to a growing library of Tegra optimized aps such as Mount and Blade, Portal and Half Life 2
4. A second generation stylus that by all reports is pretty kick-ass and has low latency
5. Front firing speakers and bass ports
6. HDMI out
7. Console mode which allows you to use the tablet as an android console
8. Micro SD support. No way you will see that on a Nexus 8

At this point, if you want an 8" Android tablet what the hell else are you going to get? Other than waiting for a Nexus 8 this is clearly your best option. Even if you decide to wait for a Nexus 8, there is no way it is going to have any of the above extras such as micro sd/hdmi out etc. I just don't understand all the whining about this.
indeed. this is $100 less than the Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and beefier too.

ZeroX03

Banned
Ugh no thanks.

How else would you think it would work? People have found Vita playable over the internet and Shield does it better.

No idea why you're so down on this device. It's one of the best Android tablets out at the moment. And comparing to the Surface Pro 3 is ridiculous. This is $300 vs $800+.

Portugeezer

It looks like a nice tablet to be honest.

Also stylus use looks good, but you can't wrest your wrist on the screen when drawing due to the capacitive touch screen.

How else would you think it would work? People have found Vita playable over the internet and Shield does it better.

No idea why you're so down on this device. It's one of the best Android tablets out at the moment. And comparing to the Surface Pro 3 is ridiculous. This is $300 vs $800+.

I wish it just ran on windows instead. I like the device but it clearly isnt for me.

Mihos

Gold Member
I was hoping for more of a JXD form factor... having a separate controller just deflates my hype all the way to 0. Good to hear they are keeping the Shield 'portable' supported, though.

fierro

Banned
No you can't. Unless they changed things in the last few months, you need something like a Surface Pro (i.e. something that runs the full version of Win 8 not the mobile version). Surface Pros are around triple this price.

Not true, I own an Acer W4 and with steam remote play I can play all my games on it and a lot of games run locally on the device. Also there is no full version of windows and mobile version of 8.1. It is all the same.

Mihos

Gold Member
Not true, I own an Acer W4 and with steam remote play I can play all my games on it and a lot of games run locally on the device. Also there is no full version of windows and mobile version of 8.1. It is all the same.

Untrue... you cannot run desktop applications on RT or 8.1 mobile

Baytrail tablets runs full Windows 8.1.
Not RT, not ARM. x86. And it cost 250 to 300 euros.
Cheaper.

Mihos

Gold Member
The new atom based windows tablets don't run RT. It has been that way for a while now. I don't think they even makrle new RT based devices.

They sure do, or I wouldn't be at work right now dealing with code signing bullshit.

Vanillalite

It's $100 more than what? It's as cheap if not cheaper than the competition with better specs in it's size and form factor.

Sure it's not $200 like the current N7, but that's a shitty comparison to begin with. As of now this would be my go to recommendation for an Android tablet that is larger than last year's N7.

This is like saying the next iPad is vaporware and iPhone 6 rumors are nothing but clickbait. These things are clockwork. The cycle sometime changes by a few months but we know it's coming, just like we know Amazon and Samsung will be releasing new ones too.

hey now, Samsung is on a whole 'nother timeline than the rest of those predictable dudes... they got the Tab Pro, Note Pro, Tab 4 and Tab S series all out in the last calendar year.

How is this shitty?

What are you even supposed to do with this thing?
Put it on a stand while you hold the controller?
What is the point of an android tablet for games? if you're going to put any hardware in there for games it should be x86 so you can access the vast library of x86 pc games, not the vast library of whale sponge wringing mobile trash that isn't designed around having buttons
And no noone is going to make games designed for this thing and not designed (and compromised) around a touch screen too.

What makes this any different from the zillion other tablets out there or the ouya

Why make this instead of the one thing that doesn't exist, and that everyone I know would love to have (a low latency streaming pad with proper buttons for the pc) and that could be way cheaper.
The shield 1 was halfway there (it was laggy and the streaming was limited to 30 fps)

I can't be the only one expecting that the shield 2 would be a shield 1 that isn't shit.

MrBenchmark

Yes you can
http://store.steampowered.com/streaming/
Using this on my Lenovo Miix 2 8 which is a $199 full windows 8.1 pro tablet and you don't Have to own a NVIDIA gpu in your desktop.

I can even use a wireless 360 controller if I like or wired Xbox one controller.

This new NVIDIA tablet is nice especially if you are in NVIDIA ecosystem.

ZeroX03

Banned
What is the point of an android tablet for games? if you're going to put any hardware in there for games it should be x86 so you can access the vast library of x86 pc games, not the vast library of whale sponge wringing mobile trash that isn't designed around having buttons
And no noone is going to make games designed for this thing and not designed (and compromised) around a touch screen too.

What makes this any different from the zillion other tablets out there or the ouya

Why make this instead of the one thing that doesn't exist, and that everyone I know would love to have (a low latency streaming pad with proper buttons for the pc) and that could be way cheaper.
The shield 1 was halfway there (it was laggy and the streaming was limited to 30 fps)

I can't be the only one expecting that the shield 2 would be a shield 1 that isn't shit.

So much wrong with this, but the bolded in particular is no longer true. It does have 60fps streaming, and lag has been reduced.

NextTimeMyles

Neo Member

Well someone's salty it seems.

As you should be able to a device that is what? 3- 4 times as expensive.

But hey, feel free to keep shitting on a $300 tablet that isn't as powerful as your $1000 tablet.

I'm not sure we can even call it a tablet. That thing weights 800-900 gram. twice as heavy as regular tablets.

el_brio

Neo Member

It is an 8" Android tablet. Lots of people like the 8" form factor. According to the specs, this appears to be the best 8" tablet out there at the moment. People have been waiting for a Nexus 8 for a long time. This tablet was just announced and the specs pretty much blow the rumored N8 specs out of the water. It sounds like it isn't for you, but I don't understand why you can fathom why people would want a feature-rich 8" Android tablet.

Top Bottom