• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4.6 million people played Destiny's beta

SANTA MONICA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Activision Publishing, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), and Bungie today confirmed millions of people have played their upcoming and award-winning game Destiny during their beta test to gather vital information in preparation for launch. The Destiny Beta included a sampling of major activities featured in the full game. The beta began first on PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®3 on July 17 and came to a close Sunday evening, with 4,638,937 unique players participating.

"This is the biggest beta of this console generation by a wide margin and the largest console beta ever for a new video game IP to date," said Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision Publishing. "Hosting a beta at this scale is an incredible feat, so we're thrilled to see the phenomenal response. But the beta is just a taste of what's to come. We're counting down the days to our launch day, September 9th."

"We were totally blown away by the number of people who played the beta," said Pete Parsons, COO of Bungie. "We surpassed even our own goals and the feedback was invaluable. We cannot thank the community enough, the response was humbling and in the weeks ahead we'll be working hard to ensure that Destiny lives up to the expectations at launch."

PR just pushed by Activision. Good numbers.

Can't wait personally now for September.

Nibel

Haters ya miss

X50NPcK.jpg

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I thought it would be somewhere around that. The biggest game of the year, open to the public. I can't wait to see what it sells.

Not bad; question is will there be enough word of mouth to double that in sales to reach that rumored break even point of 10 million? Being not every Beta person will purchase, it will be a challenge for them.

If anything, they'll take a loss on this title but have the word of mouth and infrastructure to support the future titles (and DLC) to make the money back easily IMO.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Wonder how many of those still played on last-gen (and how many people played it on all their consoles and hence got counted multiple times).

faberpach

it was free and is not like there are that many games to play on those consoles at the time.

impressive numbers but it does seem like expected being that anyone that has an xbox one or ps4 will have internet and the beta was easy to access.

purg3

slept with Malkin
A console breakdown percentage would be interesting to see. But damn, this game is going to be a monster success.

I think Destiny is gonna be a major Hit. After playing the beta i'm really considering getting the PS4 Version. I liked it, and I don't even like FPS as much.

Blueblur1

They also opened it to everyone. I think it's safe to assume that onlookers jumped in after watching everyone else talk about it.

n0tail

Banned
Consider also how many people are waiting for this game before buying new consoles as well. I have several friends picking up Destiny and a PS4 in September. Looking good for Activision and Bungie for sure.

MaulerX

The beta began first on PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®3 on July 17 and came to a close Sunday evening, with 4,638,937 unique players participating.

Funny how they didn't mention any of the Xbox platforms even though the numbers included them.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Good amount of participants; I got a week in on PS4 version. Ran pretty well and liked the moon mission. That atmosphere was pretty nice.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Being not every Beta person will purchase, it will be a challenge for them.

Most future buyers probably haven't even heard of the Beta. So even if only 2,5 million Beta players buy the game on day one, that would still be nuts for day one.

shandy706

Beta sold the game to some family friends and one of our cousins. They tried it out on my X1 this past Friday and Saturday.

JB1981

Considering the numbers, everything ran very well. Encouraging for the retail release.

It sure did. I never once had a problem or disconnect. PvE ran without a hitch and PvP games had pretty good netcode. Can't wait to get the full game. Might be the only game I buy this fall

Top Bottom