• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4.6 million people played Destiny's beta

Orayn

This beta delivered... can't wait the full game.

BTW September NPD will have PS4 over 500k units... crazy.

It needs 10 million, no? Edit - Seems like it was a bad twitter... not confirmed.

10-15 million was an optimistic analyst estimate.

A different analyst said it needed 15 million under the assumption that the game's budget was $500 million, but that number isn't confirmed. At the moment, our best guess is that $500M was a very high estimate that included things besides the dev budget + ad budget.

Actually, i was.

Compared to the MMOs that had launched before it, WoW had an absolutely brilliant launch.

Uh - Blizzard gave me like 4 weeks of compensation for the lousy WoW launch.

The game barely worked at all during the evenings with constant downtimes.

Same thing with Diablo 3's launch. Only, that one was bad for about a week and a half before things got better.

Blizzard is not perfect either.

To call WoW's launch brilliant is delusional.

Altima

75 % of my time in beta spent on PvP.

This game PvP is not bad. Feel like Halo with lower learning curve and a lot easier to play.

Magwik

Banned

A different analyst said it needed 15 million under the assumption that the game's budget was $500 million, but that number isn't confirmed. At the moment, our best guess is that $500M was a very high estimate that included things besides the dev budget + ad budget.

The $500M is not for the single game. It's for this and it's sequels.

Orayn

The $500M is not for the single game. It's for this and it's sequels.

That's what I'm inclined to believe as well, but Kotick just kind of threw out the $500M figure without a whole lot of context and it's really anyone's guess what it was supposed to refer to at this point.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes

And I quote:

"We’re pouring everything it takes into Destiny to ensure it meets our fans' expectations, and our own. Activision is, too. But the budget for Destiny, including associated marketing costs and pizza Wednesdays, is nowhere near 500 million dollars."

:)

Orayn

And I quote:

"We’re pouring everything it takes into Destiny to ensure it meets our fans' expectations, and our own. Activision is, too. But the budget for Destiny, including associated marketing costs and pizza Wednesdays, is nowhere near 500 million dollars."

:)

Yep, I was just grasping at straws and trying to figure out what the big man at Activision meant.

...Though I can imagine pizza Wednesdays could add considerably to the budget. Bungie's a big studio and pizza can be expensive!

ethomaz

Banned

$500 million is for the 10 years plan, no?

Homeboyd

Dat truffle pizza!
$4200.00
Pizza-Royale-007.jpg

This makes me wonder if July NPDs will give a bit of unexpected results... There were some theories back in April (after February and March NPDs) that the Titanfall beta might have caused a blip for the XB1 in February. Theories, of course, but in the fight to try to take top spot for March we were evaluating all possible reasons for the semi-surprising results.

Although it might have gotten a few to jump to newgen because it only opened very late, since this beta was across 4 consoles it means practically everyone had some kind of hardware for it already. It would also be hard to distinguish a Destiny beta blip/bump versus The Last Of Us coming out on the 29th.

Titanfall managed 2 million on XB1/PC which is quite respectable. We never got a breakdown of platform, however. My guess for Destiny would have to be around 40/30/20/10 PS4/XB1/360/PS3 (NA market, at least). The Destiny bundle spiked on Amazon around the time of the beta starting though that implies people who wanted the beta who'll get counted in September, although the XB1 version spiked significantly more.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Great numbers for the beta. It ran pretty smoothly all things considered. Wonder how many players were on for the moon mission.

Krilekk

Banned
$500 million is for the 10 years plan, no?

No, supposedly the dev budget according to court documents is $140 million with the rest being the marketing budget. Microsoft spend 500 million to sell 18 million Kinects, I can see Activision spending 350 million to sell 10+ units of Destiny.

Nobody knows~~~~

That's just the assumption people jumped to after Bungie said that the dev + marketing budget for the first game is not $500 million.

They never said that, they said that the dev costs would be nowhere close to 500 million and that for marketing costs you'd have to ask Activision.

AdanVC

That's a lot of people! Looks like the 500 million dollar budget for this game is gonna be recovered in like, 7 days once the game is released :O

cakely

This makes me wonder if July NPDs will give a bit of unexpected results... There were some theories back in April (after February and March NPDs) that the Titanfall beta might have caused a blip for the XB1 in February.

According to Amazon, for the month of July, no such blip has occurred.

There's the Xbox One, sitting at #49, under the Playstation 4 (#11), The Playstation 4 Destiny Bundle (#30), and oh, the Vita Borderlands 2 Bundle (#43).

The July rankings look quite a bit like May, honestly.

cakely

Uh - Blizzard gave me like 4 weeks of compensation for the lousy WoW launch.

The game barely worked at all during the evenings with constant downtimes.

Same thing with Diablo 3's launch. Only, that one was bad for about a week and a half before things got better.

Blizzard is not perfect either.

To call WoW's launch brilliant is delusional.

Perhaps I remembered it wrong, or maybe I was just thinking about the polish level of the software itself. I do remember there being login queues. "Delusional" is a little harsh.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The Alpha and Beta spoke for themselves.

The interest in Destiny was tepid at best until people got their first hands on it and it literally exploded. That's a sign of a good fucking game.

Orayn

They never said that, they said that the dev costs would be nowhere close to 500 million and that for marketing costs you'd have to ask Activision.

The quote Urk posted in this thread said that it still wasn't $500M when you include marketing, meaning that figure either included a lot of miscellaneous costs or was associated with a longer term plan.

The other likely scenario is that Kotick was just spitballing and wanted to throw out a large number to say that Activision was really invested in Destiny and have a lot of faith in Bungie.

I swear that $500 million figure was over the course of the three planned games, not just the first one. I could be wrong though.

This will sell 15-20 million copies in total. Probably the only game I am interested this year of buying DLC for as long as it's fair including TLOU's DLC. Day 1 (or 5 since that's when I will be home when the game comes out)

Mooreberg

This will be the first blockbuster of the fall. I thought the $500 million is what Activision is pouring into marketing over the long haul. Assuming we get five biannual retail releases over the course of this endeavor (as the document suggested) that would be about $100 million in marketing per game. Seems about on par with what COD gets regularly.

matmanx1

4.6 million is a really big number. Destiny is going to do gangbusters. I would be very surprised if it doesn't pass the 10 million sold mark by the end of the first quarter of next year.

Ridley327

I can imagine this being a thing. Guys trolling opponents by dancing while being shot at not being hit lol.

Now only if the PVP was fun and not bogged down by awful controls,movement and netcode.

It's not the same thing, but whenever I completed the Devil Walker event in Exploration, I always bee-lined for the wreckage so that I could dance on top of its metal corpse. That the game lets you do that is nothing short of phenomenal.

Muffdraul

The Alpha and Beta spoke for themselves.

The interest in Destiny was tepid at best until people got their first hands on it and it literally exploded. That's a sign of a good fucking game.

Totally. I've been a Bungie fan for almost 20 years, but I don't like all of their stuff... never got into Myth at all... and I was not happy when I heard the first rumors that their next big thing was going to an an MMO. I stopped playing online aeons ago, when Quake 3 was still current. I just don't do it, and nothing has been able to shake my resolve for all these years. But after playing the Destiny beta, fuck it, I'm playing online again. That's saying a whole lot coming from me. It's that "fucking good."

Marvel

could never
It's not the same thing, but whenever I completed the Devil Walker event in Exploration, I always bee-lined for the wreckage so that I could dance on top of its metal corpse. That the game lets you do that is nothing short of phenomenal.

Oh I wasn't the only one then, good. haha

Homeboyd

I need an xbone to play this please. Thanks Bungie! It's nothing really when you consider the budget is $5 Trillion USD!

Seriously though. Xbone. Just write it off.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
People playing for PVP will be disappointed. I thought it's been pretty clear the PvE with friends/randoms was the main draw.

That was the most fun I've had in a PvP shooter since... ever.

Each to their own, but for personally, the game feels like it was made for me.
The PvP being my favourite part, and I've played a fair wack of FPS MP in my lifetime.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Every time. The victory dance is mandatory as far as i'm concerned.

Prologue

It'll be very interesting to see the sales for this. Hopefully it does well and encourages other companies to take chances on interesting ideas. Shooters don't have to just be your typical corridor.

Ridley327

i hope there's more epic public events. i like to play solo most of the times but it is awesome to tackle public events with strangers

I liked how a lot of people camped Skywatch in the hopes for the big Fallen vs. Hive Warsat defense. That gets so damn crazy so quickly, especially in the last 25%, which is basically all yellow-named enemies on both sides.

And then it gets more awesome when you discover that you can instigate an all-out war against both sides and go through that craziness without having to wait for the event to start.

I liked how a lot of people camped Skywatch in the hopes for the big Fallen vs. Hive Warsat defense. That gets so damn crazy so quickly, especially in the last 25%, which is basically all yellow-named enemies on both sides.

And then it gets more awesome when you discover that you can instigate an all-out war against both sides and go through that craziness without having to wait for the event to start.

Never did figure out how to get that to happen. Tried hanging with a GAFer for about a half hour not killing stuff so the two factions would grow and start a war, nothing. Then right when he left I ran around with a random and cleared the baddies in about a minute and WAR broke out.

So I thought maybe clearing them fast (spawn killing) would do the trick, but I couldn't get it to happen again. Also, I've seen a crazy war break out in the area at the beginning of The Devil's Lair where you farm chests.

i agree. it is pretty cool.

hopefully more shooters adopt this form of trolling lol

Orayn

Now when the numbers are this great let's hope Activision won't start pushing microtransaction services.

Acti has "microtransaction" type DLC in CoD, but it's only been used for stuff like weapon skins, announcers, emblems, and characters for CoD Ghosts' squad mode.

So yeah, they'll probably be fairly reasonable if they do find their way into the game.

Top Bottom