• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tree of Savior Update Thread: The 2.5D MMO you've been waiting for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyuur

G-Star 2014 Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz59DqcTc4k

Over the last year, the folks at IMC Games (Granado Espada) have been posting updates about their upcoming game Tree of Savior through their blog, Facebook and Twitter. What has particularly impressed me and many others in the international community is that they have been translating these updates to English and keeping in close communications with us through comments, polls and other methods!

The game (formerly known as Project R1) is seen by many as a spiritual successor to Ragnarok Online. They even have members of the legendary SoundTeMP making music! I know I've seen some people on GAF talking about how they used to play RO, and some who are already knowledgeable about ToS, so I thought I would make a thread to discuss the updates they have been releasing. The blog used to update weekly in both Korean and English but has halted as they prepare for CBT across the world, starting in Korea. They are still posting updates through Facebook and have launched an international website!

Game Info
Blog: http://blog.treeofsavior.com/en/
Developer: IMC Games
Publisher: Nexon in Korea, TBD elsewhere
Model: Most likely F2P

Minimum Specs:
CPU: Intel Pentium Core 2 Quad
Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce 8600 (Or ATI Equivalent)
RAM: 4GB

Recommended Specs:
CPU: Intel i3 or Better
Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTS 450 (Or ATI Equivalent)
RAM: 8GB

Game Features
exYxsQ1.png

• Beautiful diorama-like scenery inspired by Lithuanian mythology
  • 80 character classes in total with incredible variety
  • Emphasis on open-world classic gameplay, no need to follow questlines
  • Action oriented gameplay using keyboard/controller
  • Music by members of SoundTeMP

Class System

Official Class Advancement Simulator

In Tree of Savior, your character starts as one of four base classes (shown above). At certain levels you unlock a new 'Circle' that contains several classes you can rank up to. You can choose from one of the new classes in the unlocked circle, or continue to rank up your existing class. The maximum number of times you can rank up your existing class is 3, and if you switch your class at any point you cannot go back and rank a previous class up. Below are all the known classes and their circles:

StHXzq4.png

FAQ
  • Is this coming to my country? Will Nexon be publishing in NA?
    IMC has been very receptive of the international community and plans to get the game to as many territories as possible. Publishers will be determined for each region by IMC, and they may self publish if necessary. Closed Beta tests will be held by IMC themselves as translations to various languages are completed if a publisher has not already been found for that region.
  • I'm afraid this game will be pay-to-win if it's free to play.
    While the publisher in your region may affect this, the CEO of IMC hates pay-to-win so odds are in our favor!
  • I saw cards! Does this have the same card system as Ragnarok?
    The card system is not the same. Monster cards are used by special classes for various skills. The Sorcerer and Necromancer are two classes who use them. There are two other methods for endowing your equipment will abilities (jewels and amulets).
  • Can I play with a mouse?
    The only thing that can be interacted with using a mouse is the UI. The game uses a full keyboard control scheme for gameplay. A gamepad can also be used.
  • Is this game heavily instance based like PSO?
    No. While instances may be used for bosses or special dungeons, the general world is open to roam and meet people.
  • Is that SoundTeMP I hear?
    Yes!

Blog Updates

Didn't play Ragnarok but was hoping this would turn out good. I'm glad they're keeping on top of it with the community updates and translation - it's a good sign.

Puru

If i remember well they are doing the translation themselves in multiple languages on top of giving the right to change at will. Should help a bit for a possible localization.

Really looking forward to this game.

Kyuur

This looks awesome. What's the payment system? Free to play or $10 a month?

My guess would be F2P but I'm not entirely sure. I think I've seen it said somewhere but I can't find it.

I imagine this will take an eternity to hit the states? :(

They put out a poll a little while ago regarding international service and have been very responsive to fans all over the world, so I'm hoping it will come sooner rather than later (definitely not a PSO2 situation)!

Is there any thing for you if you don't want to be the little girl?

They have mentioned that their voice sfx are temporary at the moment, so my guess at the reason they are only showing gameplay with the girl so far is because that's the only voice sfx they have. They did mention in the latest blog post that no classes are gender locked, so you should be able to play whatever you'd like!

Of course, this is a Korean MMO so you can expect the guys to be fairly androgynous haha.

tos1-small2yuw3.gif
tos2-smallxmudy.gif

Made these two (slighty too fast) GIFs from the most recent footage. Really loving the diversity of the classes they've shown so far, even between simple melee ones.

Oh crap, Ragnarok spiritual successor? I spent thousands of hours in Ragnarok, and I still miss War of Emperium. Subscribed, and will watch closely.

It reminds me of 90's 2.5D arcade dungeon brawlers in a good way. It looks like a lot of fun. The only thing that is bothering me is that everyone has the same face. :-O

Jezan

Wow that Peltasta class is obviously based on the Peltast stance from Granado Espada (same shield+spear) even the skill is similar (Shooting Star).
GE is my favorite MMO, so I want to play ToL!!! (even if it's more like Ragnarok than GE)

Armaros

I have been keeping my eye on this since i first heard about it.

I do hope the English version doesn't take long to come here.

Galang

Banned
I've been so excited for Project R1 for years now. Its seemingly turning out even better than I originally was expecting too... not to mention the art and music so far are perfect. I love the amount of classes and the customization introduced so far. My favorite part about Ragnarok was customizing stats and creating wacky builds, so I'm glad it looks like we have lots of options in this. I'm slowly reading through all of the posts, but I'm hoping most of the problems that plagued RO won't reappear here. I admire how the development team is handling this pre-launch.

Kyuur

This is definitely one of my favorite skills, especially when they showed it being used against a boss using Four Swords-esque formations. I saw some people worried about bot armies using this skill, but the dev team doesn't seem too concerned.

My favorite class so far is definitely Pyromancer though. Instantly reminded me of pyromancy from Dark Souls, which was my favorite way to play.

FourMyle

Great thread, OP!.

Absolutely cannot wait for this game but I just wish they would tell us what cards will be used for

Kyuur

English blog has updated with the latest translation!

Q&A ABOUT TOS #11

Some thoughts:

Peltasta can even throw its shield at its enemies, but if you don’t pick it up soon enough, then the shield may disappear.

This seems pretty scary to use. Imagine if you dc after throwing a rare shield. Support tickets ahoy!

“Staying in the field after Log-out” is a feature that makes TOS interesting, and we will tell you more about it in the near future.

Glad to see this. The towns filled with shops in Ragnarok was very cool to me, more so than any AH system could be. Felt more community based for some reason.

If you insert a card, which you can obtain from defeating devil-type boss monsters, into “Grimoire”, then you can summon the devil which has the appearance of the boss monster you defeated. You can either order attacks, or order the devil to protect some designated place. You can also mount onto the devil and control it directly by using attack keys and movement keys.

More info on what cards will be used for! So Sorcerer uses devil-type boss cards, and Necromancer uses beast-type. I wonder if it's only boss type monsters that have cards for this type of use.

daveo42

Banned
It feels like it's been ages since I last heard about this. Really hope we eventually get this in the west, though it not coming would probably help my productivity.

Kyuur

Korean update is up! Some new class footage. I love the idea of the woodcarving class with the name I cannot pronounce. Oracle is also interesting, it seems that mobs do not generate drops on death but when they spawn. I can't help but feel that it is going to be exploited somehow without an Oracle with the skill but hopefully they'll program it so it can't be somehow.

Link: http://blog.treeofsavior.com/?p=574
Gameplay Footage Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj7uNOpCPbY

Edit: English version is up.

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ABOUT TOS #12

Squash

It's a little weird to me that they're going with keyboard moving than mouse moving for this game.

Also hoping for a return of WoE.

Izayoi

Banned
Woah, this looks fucking gangster. I'll definitely check out the Korean game. Hopefully there's a beta!

I played the shit out of the original RO... Shame about what happened with RO2. ;_;

I'm really, really excited for this! As a longtime RO fan, I seriously hope they don't try to follow the template set by WoW and try to be more like classic RO, but less grindy.

Leveling before renewal (and all the paradise quests), although harder, seemed to be much more diverse and strategic. If they manage to expand upon that template, making it more balanced for all classes, it's gonna be pretty fun!

Kyuur

No update this week due to holidays in Korea. Hopefully next week's is a big one!

Glad to see so many people looking forward to it. If it turns out well hopefully we can have a GAF guild!

Platy

They have any blog about how are the characters made ?

It looks like a strange mix of 3d models and 2d sprites

They have any blog about how are the characters made ?

It looks like a strange mix of 3d models and 2d sprites
To me, it looks like they render out sprite sheets of the 3d bodies, and then hand drawn heads are placed on top of those. I'd actually like to know exactly how they are doing it as well, looks really good.

Kyuur

The art blog doesn't mention that but you should post the question on their site, maybe they'll answer it! To me it looks like they are building the sprites out of multiple parts with some sort of joint system that they can rotate and stretch as needed. It looks much more high quality than what you normally see out of that kind of system though.

Eternia

Too bad this will likely be F2P.

Looks interesting.
Yeah, I kind of wish it had a monthly fee so it wouldn't have to resort to monetizing even cosmetic content. I really ended up a bit obsessed with that stuff. But who am I kidding, I'm probably setting up myself to be massively disappointed since all of that will get monetized no matter what.

It still looks beautiful though. Have they mentioned anything about how the dungeon/boss content is structured yet? I liked how loose and open the first game was. At times, I would go with a friend to hunt some of the easier bosses and he would just load up with tons of white pots instead of looking for a healer. Good times.

jax

Banned
As a huge RO fan I can definitely say I'm beyond stoked for this game. RO2 and RO2:2 were pretty much.. Not RO. This seems to fill that niche perfectly. Love the art, looks like a real successor to RO. Subbed.

Kyuur

I'm quite happy about that as well, not for myself personally but I know it upsets people when they can't play as their skin colour!

Latest Update 08/22: QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ABOUT TOS #13 (Untranslated, to be updated 08/25)

Gathering what I could from shitty google translate:

• Cast times can be interrupted, and there is a 'Safety Wall'-esque spell to prevent it.
  • No Bard class yet, but they do have tertiary equipment that lets you play music in game.
  • No dancing, but character posing.
  • Monks can be tanks with a skill that lets them counter attacks.
  • Druids can transform into monsters and use all their skills.
  • Druids have skills linked to environment?
  • Elementalist is useful for late game bosses/raids.

Have to say I love the look of Sapper. Strategic mobbing was always a blast in RO. Glad to see so many other stoked for this. :)

Kyuur

Everytime i come in, im hoping for english closed beta signups.

I think we all do. :(

English blog was updated for the most recent post! Some more info that I didn't quite get through the rough translation:

• Elementalist and Puppetier are late/high ranked classes. Elementalist requires Pyromancer.
  • No bound items. Instead, there are items that lose the ability to be upgraded as much when traded.
  • Monk's super laser skill uses three stats to determine damage. Some hope for build versatility if there are more skills like that!
  • Druid can only control ( and transform? ) into plant and animal type monsters.
I feel like their system is much better than bound items. Gives incentive to hunt your own stuff but without such heavy restriction, especially on end game gear. They also really seem to like classes that have specific interactions with different monster types. Not that I'm complaining, should lend to some diversity in parties depending on where you are hunting!

Kyuur

It's that time of week again! We get a beefy walkthrough this time!

INTERNAL TEST RESULTS (Untranslated, to be updated 09/01)

Summary of new info:

• Name that shows up when you play is account wide.
  • Equip slots are: left/right weapons, upper armor, lower armor, shoes, arms, cape, head and what looks like 3 accessory slots
  • They added an additional stat, now there are 5: Strength, Stamina, Intelligence, Spirit, Agility
  • For a swordsman you need STR, but INT and AGI builds are also viable
  • When you finish a quest, you can teleport instantly back to the NPC (no cooldown)
  • 3D glasses headgear!
  • Some sort of stamina system for running, you can touch crystals in ground to recover or use items
  • Buffs you can purchase from NPCs to get bonuses to certain skills for a time
  • Crafting requires manuals, which can drop from bosses (probably available other ways as well)
And I just have to post some of the screenshots from it, definitely invoking the RO memories.

So happy there is a level up angel. More at the link as usual!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom