• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tree of Savior Update Thread: The 2.5D MMO you've been waiting for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reknoc

Really the only way to attract a healthy playerbase with a rather niche MMO nowadays. Does the dev/publisher have any history with the model, can we expect something reasonable?

Well Nexon is the publisher, in Korea at least, and everything they do is f2p and they make mad bank. Dunno what they're like though, only nexon game I played was vindictus and that was all boosts and temporary costumes.

kasane

People gonna disagree but i kinda want that good ol ragnarok grind back

I also cant remember how many hour i wasted on prontera just sitting and talking

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Man Sony or somebody needs to pick this up for home console / portable also.

Really looks fantastic.

I also cant remember how many hour i wasted on prontera just sitting and talking

After years of WoW, kinda feel like themepark MMOs taken its toll.

I don't want to be led by the hand. Just give me stuff to kill with my friends.

Yaari

The original RO was awesome and did everything it had to do. It will be hard enough to replicate that feeling. Either way I like the F2P model for the game. It's hard enough to populate new MMO's and atleast they are realistic enough in their approach.

LuuKyK

This. I remember knowing every place from every city in the game. Me and my friends used to look for cool looking/hidden places in these cities so that we could sit, talk and take screenshots. There was this snowy city, can't remember the name, that had countless rooftops you could climb. Good old days.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
B> Ragnarok Online-like gameplay

Sucks about instanced dungeons though. I really miss it when you visit a dungeon and there are other players in them.

Also for the love of god I hope Nexon doesn't touch this.

Well Nexon is the publisher, in Korea at least, and everything they do is f2p and they make mad bank. Dunno what they're like though, only nexon game I played was vindictus and that was all boosts and temporary costumes.

I was actually disappointed that Nexon is the publisher. The last two games time played that Nexon touched went bad so I quit them. The last one was particularly bad in that it wasn't originally a Nexon one, and after they acquired it, the power creep accelerated quite a lot.

RO's F2P works pretty well I think, after they merged the premium and free server.

It depends on who the maintainers/admins (and players) are, and how the economy can be handled (including interventions from the maintainers). The local server here are so bad that high end equips are either real money-only or worth billions zeny (not exaggerating).

Yeah put more emphasis on grouping and less soloing

Then again people hate that

While it is not "The One Fix", they should set up the party well (didn't read how this game works yet lol):

One MMO I played didn't split the "quest drops" and EXP. If one get the quest item, everyone gets it. Same with EXP - each person gets EXP as if they were soloing stuff.
Unfortunately, the normal item drops weren't (but on the bright side, the equips in that game are not dropped normally but in "boxes" which then gives out a randomized equip).

This enabled people to just go and ask complete strangers to team up since there's practically no demerit to teaming up aside from saying "Hi, wanna team up?"

Another problem I had with groups:
It's retarded when you go around and want to team up with a Healer on a high difficulty dungeon, and they would just go "Your class is not the best DPS in this place. F___ off." And the alternatives to a healer were either too expensive for continuous use or too inefficient.

Sorry for those who enjoy the aspect, but I do hate the "holy trinity" in MMOs. I think it's bad design that the availability of "one" class (healers) decide where I am able to go.

B> Ragnarok Online-like gameplay

Sucks about instanced dungeons though. I really miss it when you visit a dungeon and there are other players in them.

Also for the love of god I hope Nexon doesn't touch this.

As much as I liked finding other people in dungeons my experience in the RO beta keeps telling me no.

Trying to find a single place to level because every corner has people and it's a free-for-all of people rushing to the nearest monster that spawns. I really don't want to go through that insanity again.

DJIzana

As much as I liked finding other people in dungeons my experience in the RO beta keeps telling me no.

Trying to find a single place to level because every corner has people and it's a free-for-all of people rushing to the nearest monster that spawns. I really don't want to go through that insanity again.

This games party system is far different. I welcome it. It won't be the same having to worry about the same flaws from RO (or what some would consider flaws, that is).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Just need to fix the loot system imo

Not sure if new art, but this was posted to the Tree of Savior Facebook page a few minutes ago:

10675738_639377242855160_4321067511308331391_n.jpg

Edit: Sorry, just saw post on second page. ;_; [justification for not reading thread]Still pretty, though![/justification for not reading thread]

Also, I just realized I hadn't posted in this thread. Game looks awesome. Thank you for making an update thread! Looking forward to playing it!!

I loved playing RO years ago. I'd really like another game that lets you roam and feel free to do what you're going to do and keep advancing on your own time.

Something that feels missing from many current MMOs is the feeling that I can keep progressing on my own accord. I don't mean necessarily by solo'ing but if I want to, I could group up and keep progressing my stats or something. Just as an example, think of what it is like to raid in WoW (just going from a PVE standpoint right now). I log in, join up with friends/guildmates, do the raid for the week and now I'm locked out, so I am done. At certain points of the game, there just feels like there is nothing left to really be done of substance to advance my character. If I have gear that is above what comes out of repeatable dungeons and my raids are done for the week, what is there to log on for as a PVE character? Do it all on an alt?

I want to be able to have something to do at my pace, whether that means playing a few hours a week or if I want to shove my face into the screen for 16 hours a day. Options should be there to keep giving me the OPTION to do things to advance my character, even if I choose not to do them.

Aeana

The characters in those beta videos all look like they have a slowing debuff on. The animation speed doesn't feel like it matches the movement speed.

Kyuur

The characters in those beta videos all look like they have a slowing debuff on. The animation speed doesn't feel like it matches the movement speed.

I'm actually kind of a fan. It feels sort of 'weighty'.

has anything at all been said about release date? The hype is real

Nothing on the international side so far.. hopefully we'll hear back in the next month or so.

Pejo

Just found out about this game today, and as a long long time Ragnarok Online player, i couldn't be more excited. Fucking SoundTeMP!!!

Kyuur

A new English blog post this morning! They haven't forgotten about us, I guess. :)

Closed Beta Test 1 Q&A

Summary:
  • They will not be adding mouse control despite requests, but will work to have gamepad support for CBT2 (must be including interface, as I believe you can already use gamepad for the gameplay itself).
  • Stamina is used to control movement speed, but some class skills (that require movement) use Stamina too. For those of you who don't remember, Stamina depletes over time and can be recovered by interacting with environment 'crystals' or using items.
  • They will be adding a weapon set swap feature.
  • Voice options are being worked on.
  • CBT1 difficulty was adjusted to be lower so that testers could access more content. Some boss patterns were malfunctioning, and higher level bosses are not supposed to telegraph attack positions without an Oracle in the party.
  • There was no maximum level cap in CBT1. Quests and other content were capped to Rank 4. CBT1 had about 1/5 of the total area planned for Open Beta.
  • BGM files are still going through mastering process. Feel free to rip the files out of the client and share them, as long as its not commercial.
  • Plans to add party quests and missions.
  • Only two companions available at the moment. They plan to have unique companions for each village.
  • Hair colour and eye colour options will not be available at character creation but you will be able to find them during gameplay. They want players to be able to become unique as they progress in play.
  • CBT2 sometime this Spring.
And a new class: Plague Doctor!

tos_plaguedoctor_f.gif

Happy to hear that difficulty was turned down and bosses need some adjusting, as that was the weakest part I saw from CBT footage. Hopefully CBT2 will include international players but I'm not going to get my hopes up yet.

Kyuur

The game is played via keyboard (with mouse to access UI). You can probably map keys to a gamepad already, which is why I'm thinking they are talking about UI access with a gamepad (instead of having use a mouse as well).

Puru

Plague doctor = hype.
I hope the boss will be vastly improved as they looked really weak, even for a more casual friendly game.

Kyuur

New update from the main man himself!

Updates on the International Test
  • OTC (Open Text Client) will allow fans to edit in-game text on the fly and add new language support. Ctrl+Shift clicking on any piece of text will bring up text editor, which can be saved and then reloaded automatically by the game.
  • OTC repositories will be created, allowing fan translations to be uploaded, reviewed and distributed in official patches. They hope this will allow people to experience ToS in their native language faster than any other method.
  • Tests are happening to determine where international test servers should be placed, with candidates like Amazon AWS. They are working on a feature to allow players to login with Facebook or Google+ accounts. Once this is done, the test server should be launched.
  • There will likely be two test servers to cover all territories.
  • International tests should launch after Korean CBT2. The schedules for the Korean beta will be decided soon.
Translation stuff is great news: this is how you interact with fan translators and overseas markets, MMO companies. Take note.

• OTC (Open Text Client) will allow fans to edit in-game text on the fly and add new language support. Ctrl+Shift clicking on any piece of text will bring up text editor, which can be saved and then reloaded automatically by the game.
  • OTC repositories will be created, allowing fan translations to be uploaded, reviewed and distributed in official patches. They hope this will allow people to experience ToS in their native language faster than any other method.
  • Tests are happening to determine where international test servers should be placed, with candidates like Amazon AWS. They are working on a feature to allow players to login with Facebook or Google+ accounts. Once this is done, the test server should be launched.
  • International tests should launch after Korean CBT2. The schedules for the Korean beta will be decided soon.
Translation stuff is great news: this is how you interact with fan translators and overseas markets, MMO companies. Take note.

When I was still working for MMO Publishers this was a feature I dreamed about when localizing games.

It's mindboggling to see a studio actually do it.

They get my support just for this feature actually. I have to give them kudos.

Man glad to see a company finally do this. I remember when I was young friends and I use to ask why developers don't do something like this instead of spending millions on slow ass inhouse translating.

Usobuko

Banned

This is looking good for a nostalgic trip, RO was very hype in my high school years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom