• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 announced for 3DS/Vita in Famitsu magazine

L~A

Edit 3: Ok, 4Gamer.net finally got some direct-feed screenshots for the PS Vita version. I fear we're never gonna see the 3DS version until launch :p

0024voyi.jpg
0035ur9p.jpg
01295ohl.jpg

013tjpj3.jpg
014k8pln.jpg
004t4o18.jpg

005wmpqc.jpg
006ynrqw.jpg
00796o9n.jpg

008bloip.jpg
009ekps6.jpg
010xlrtl.jpg

011sjphv.jpg

Edit 2 : Official website is launched, but there's nothing really new there.

It confirms that this is a brand new entry, unlike SWC 2nd.
They confirm "What If" scenarios are in the game: what if Yoshimoto Imagawa had survived the Battle of Okehazama? What if Shingen Takeda had reached the capital? You'll be able to have 4 characters playable during missions, though some of them got less than 4.
- Renbukan mode: This mode is imported from Samurai Warriors expansion that is all-you-can-beat during limited amount of time. (Infinite castle in English version? I'm not so sure..)
- Score ranking: Much more improved, now that players are to be divided into classes with promotion and demotion chances every week, and high-score rewards are to be determined class by class, giving chances to noobs to be rewarded as well.

Some screenshots:

ol_a.png

ol_b.png

ol_c.png

Thanks to crinale for the translations :)

Edit: First pics from Famitsu:

Just saw this on NinEverything

This week’s issue of Famitsu reveals Samurai Warriors Chronicle 3 for the 3DS and PlayStation Vita.

According to the magazine, Samurai Warriors Chronicle 3 adds new systems and scenarios.

The game will also feature the “Godspeed Action” and “Secret Musou” moves from Samurai Warriors 4. Samurai Warriors Chronicle 3 will be released later this year in Japan.

Over 50 playable characters, and the character customisation options from SWC2 will be back.

I presume the original source is one of the usual Famitsu leak mags.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
...a new Musou on 3DS? Ah, didn't think I would've seen the day XD
Being multi with Vita sounds a good choice, sales wise.

Alrus

Interesting, the first one sold decently for a portable musou game, but the second one didn't do that hot. I'm surprised they actually went with a sequel. 3DS/Vita makes sense though.

L~A

^

That's because it was basically an upgraded version of the 1st game, not an entirely new entry. And TK was actually pretty satisfied with SW2nd sales.

...a new Musou on 3DS? Ah, didn't think I would've seen the day XD
Being multi with Vita sounds a good choice, sales wise.

They actually hinted at it back when SW2nd came out

“I cannot begin to express how overjoyed I am that [Samurai Warriors: Chronicles 2nd] has continued to sell to the year’s end. Thank you! Just a bit more in sales, and we can start thinking about the next game, so please keep at it!”

Certainly took their time, huh?

The game being multiplatform is really surprising, as Vita/3DS are really different, so porting is not as easy as PS3 > PSV is.

Oh well, I ain't complaining~

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Don't worry, it's on Vita. Localisation is 99.9% confirmed. Now, if it were a 3DS exclusive, that'd be a totally different story...

I dunno- We didn't get One Piece Kaizoku Musou 2, Shin Gundam Musou, Sengoku Musou 2/XL HD, and Sengoku Musou 2 Empires HD on Vita in English. Took them forever to announce localizations of Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate and Sengoku Musou 4 too.

Shizuka

I dunno- We didn't get One Piece Kaizoku Musou 2, Shin Gundam Musou, Sengoku Musou 2/XL HD, and Sengoku Musou 2 Empires HD on Vita in English. Took them forever to announce localizations of Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate and Sengoku Musou 4 too.

Bandai Namco.

L~A

True, but things have changed. Now, even ultra-niche stuff like Criminal Girls get localised on Vita... I'd be surprised if SWC3rd wasn't after that. I know, it's not the same publisher, but still. TK has been pretty good with PSV localisation in the past year or so.

Shizuka

True, but things have changed. Now, even ultra-nice stuff like Criminal Girls get localised on Vita... I'd be surprised if SWC3rd wasn't after that.

And yet companies like Sega and Bandai Namco don't bring some niche games.

KDR_11k

If you like Samurai Warriors games: yup! Too bad it's not even available on the eShop, though.

Even if you don't, the ability to order four characters around simultaneously and the rapid-fire mid-battle missions made it more of an Action RPG than a conventional Warriors game. Also it didn't have the annoying "kill X dudes to spawn the bigger dude to capture this point" mechanism, the bigger dudes are always on the field and can be attacked directly without grinding kills first.

crinale

did hackers ever defeat the region lock on 3DS?

You can buy Vita version or import Japanese 3DS
j/k
Seriously, this may have a little more chance to get localized than previous two verisons.
Though I have no idea how Samurai (not Dynasty) Warriors franchise has Western appeal.

massoluk

Banned
Yeah, I sunk more than 120+ hours into the first game on the 3DS. It's one the better Musou game with some fresh mechanics.. Shame about the second one, hopefully this get localized.

L~A

3DS is probably the leading platform so a Time Traveler comparison would be more appropriate.

http://chaos-info.ldblog.jp/archives/7261546.html (3DS, PSV, PSV direct-feed)

Hmm... no idea what's the lead platform. We'll see soon enough with which platform they chose for screenshots and videos.

Definitely going to be Vita imo, but who knows? It's quite unusual, that 3DS/PSV multiplatform thing.

Yea, it got me into Musou games and kept me busy through that 3DS launch drought.

Ha ha, we're pretty similar then! Though I actually knew about the series way before I played this game, as I got to play the PS2 game a lot (Samurai Warriors 2, I believe).

About Chronicles, one of my favorite features was definitely the 4 playable characters at once system. I hope they won't get rid of this because it's also on Vita, without a second screen : /

I hope they bring the affinity system too, though it was really flawed... at one point, I couldn't play with the original character, because doing so would make their affinity with one character drop, because they're in the opposing army : /

About Chronicles, one of my favorite features was definitely the 4 playable characters at once system. I hope they won't get rid of this because it's also on Vita, without a second screen : /

I hope they bring the affinity system too, though it was really flawed... at one point, I couldn't play with the original character, because doing so would make their affinity with one character drop, because they're in the opposing army : /

Think for Vita it would just have a smaller map on screen which you can drag across to expand and use it, think Vita version of SW4 does this, and yeah the affinity got really annoying to balance late in game, spent more or less doing thing like streetpass weapon collection via one of the first levels in the game where you only fought no name officers.

Really hope this is localised =/ was disappointed as hell they skipped 2nd.

Same, but 2nd was more of an expansion pack than a sequel.

http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Sengoku_Musou_Chronicle_2nd

Ah, yeah it kind of was but you would think if it was more of an expansion they would've taken the chance and build up from the translation they had with the first one and than they could place it on the eShop, seeing as the first one apparently isn't on there.

But yeah a true sequel will probably be more preferable for localisation *crosses fingers*

L Thammy

Was the first 3DS game any good?

I really liked it. The combat mechanics are crap, but you have a bunch of little missions to do with short time limits. You have to act quickly and intelligently maneuver all of your characters if you want to complete everything. There are also spell-like abilities to use.

Hopefully this builds on the the changing history from inside concept.

First one was release in EU but only in English, second one didn't even leave Japan.
I don't have any hope.

Correction to that, the first one came out in the West but only with Japanese voices.

How much different will this game be on vita compared to Samurai Warriors 4?

Based off the first game, it'll probably have its own story mode with chapters instead of by forces of SW4. It'll be more focused on the create your warrior aspect that SW4 does have and probably more on the character interactions and talking with the other characters.

It'll probably be like the same thing expect with more character interactions and less everything else.

-----------------------------------------------

Well good thing it's on the Vita so I can import this if K-T becomes stingy with Vita localizations. Wonder if they'll toss anything new into this game.

MoxManiac

Being Vita only, it's a toss up if this'll get localized. The majority of TK vita releases were because they had PS3/PS4 siblings to help shoulder the localization cost.

L Thammy

Being Vita only, it's a toss up if this'll get localized. The majority of TK vita releases were because they had PS3/PS4 siblings to help shoulder the localization cost.

It isn't Vita only. 3DS is in the thread title. The first two Chronicles games were 3DS only.

I get the feeling that Vita might be the lead platform, though. It's probably easy to port Samurai Warriors 4 assets there.

CamHostage

Too bad the Vita version will likely be a gimped port of the 3DS version.

I thought the 3DS Dynasty/Samurai games were decently produced? They weren't up with the more recent iterations of the engine in DW7/8 (which Vita does a pretty good job in taking a port-down) but I was under the impression that they were solid portable Musous, are they not?

In general, even though I'd rather Vita not suffer where 3DS is at its max, I'm in favor of the partnering of 3DS and Vita in game development. Vita is hurting for support, and 3DS rarely gets pushed like it should, and I think the two of them can make good partners where developers are not going to treat either one to their max. I just got One-Piece Unlimited World Red and you forget sometimes that 3DS is not this little machine for simple games, it can do huge worlds and nice effects and complex action.

OPUWR-Demo-Now.jpg

i23PT5UAbCbxV.jpg

... Musou might not be the 3DS's specialty (looking at videos, it seems like character quantity is an issue), but Vita is already getting tons of DW/SW games, and if having two platforms for SW Chronicles makes for a better overall game (and more options for Vita) then that's good for them both.

A 3DS/Vita multi-plat. Might make a decent sales comparison for a change!

Not actually sure which platform has the advantage either. Vita has had more Musou games in general but 3DS had the two previous games to this.

sörine

Banned
A 3DS/Vita multi-plat. Might make a decent sales comparison for a change!

Not actually sure which platform has the advantage either. Vita has had more Musou games in general but 3DS had the two previous games to this.
3DS has a giant userbase advantage but Koei Tecmo has been flooding Vita with Musou releases trying to build an audience there. It really could go either way imo.

Top Bottom