• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bojack Horseman |OT| Season 1 now up on Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

1908034_628986687217287_7712618428926514402_n.png

Meet the most beloved sitcom horse of the 90s - 20 years later. BoJack Horseman was the star of the hit TV show "Horsin' Around," but today he's washed up, living in Hollywood, complaining about everything, and wearing colorful sweaters.

Trailer

Anyone watching yet? reception seems to have been mixed and mostly average. I'll check it out when I get home.

Zach

I heard about the show yesterday. Saw it was getting mixed reviews. Watched the first episode this morning while having my coffee. It was okay. I plan to watch another tonight.

Zach

That was my impression from the trailer.

Yeah, the trailer that I watched yesterday maybe conditioned me not to expect much. It doesn't seem like a laugh-a-minute show and I'm okay with that. I still find it interesting... one episode in, at least...

Salsa

finished the pilot, basically agree with Zach. it's not laugh out loud funny but it was enough to make me wanna watch more

Really dug it. Not perfect, and i would have liked the season to wrap less predictably but overall call me a fan.

Also I feel the trailer is fairly poor, so if put you off I'd still say try it.

I did also find the back half much stronger, though that could have been me being more attached to the characters.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
I really enjoy it. It isn't your 'joke' filled but more dark comedy.

The first episode is a wash, the third episode was weak. The second episode and 4-9 (where I am now) are fantastic. I actually really enjoy what the show is and would enjoy a second season from my current impressions.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Girlfriend hated it so it won't get any play time on my tv in the near future. Took 15 minutes or so for her to ask to watch something else.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Watched the whole thing. I liked it? It was kind of floundering but the last few episodes got to me (the second to last episode particularly). I didn't laugh that much. The whole thing worked better in its dramatic/sincere moments. The tone's not exactly the same, but when it goes to an emotionally dark place, it reminded of Rick & Morty or Moral Orel. I'm in for season 2.

DJ_Lae

Only one episode in but it's better than I expected.

Art style is really ugly, though. Show looks like an animated bitstrip.

Cyan and I went to school with the two creators. It's zany and gets REAL TALK from episode 7 onward. Becomes one of the darkest cartoons I've seen.

Still not sure if I actually liked the majority of it or if I'm letting my familiarity cloud my judgement. Episodes 3, 7, and the last one were my favorites. 4 was just really meh.

woen

Not fan of what they've done with the art and I don't find the first episode really funny. I think I'll watch more. Or maybe not.

Exuro

First episode was really bad but after watching up to episode 8 it's decent. Some good jokes here and there

saunderez

Cyan and I went to school with the two creators. It's zany and gets REAL TALK from episode 7 onward. Becomes one of the darkest cartoons I've seen.

Still not sure if I actually liked the majority of it or if I'm letting my familiarity cloud my judgement. Episodes 3, 7, and the last one were my favorites. 4 was just really meh.

Yeah I wasn't expecting it to be so dark to be honest. Nor was I expecting the continuity and character development. Really enjoyed it overall, now I want to see some actual episodes of Horsin' Around and Mr Peanutbutter's House to see some more of that cliched ridiculousness.

My brother binge watched the whole thing and really liked it.
Apparently it gets pretty dark.

I'm planning on watching it soon.

The trailer for this was garbage but people saying it gets dark have me intrigued. Is it anything like the majesty that was Moral Orel Season 3?

saunderez

Is it like Bobs Burgers or like Family Guy?
Neither really. It's a lot more serious than either of those. I'd say it's closer to Bob's Burgers than it is Family Guy but there's a level of character development that doesn't exist in either of those shows.

120v

just finished ep. 1 and it was ... okay. I really like the premise of an anthropomorphic washed up 90s sitcom actor but the execution is meh

though most animated shows take awhile to find their groove. so if it has more seasons i'm interested to see where it goes

Kurdel

Banned
I am really loving the show so far.

And holy shit episode 4
back to back 9/11 and Holocaust jokes, it was amazing

The first couple of episodes weren't that great, but after that it got real good. The ending was really excellent, the show doesn't really need any more episodes, but I guess they are making a second season anyway.

The wife didn't like it as much as I did, but she doesn't like darker humour quite as much as I do. But she agreed that the show was interesting, and kept watching till the end.

Zekes!

I fired up Netflix to watch a random movie and saw this displayed at the top and decided to check it out.

The first episode is a little "eh", but it seems to pick up with each episode. I'm up to episode 5 and I'm really liking it.

Finished the season yesterday and I really loved it, it's like a weird mix of bobs burgers and archer.

It has some great character progression, great social commentary and some really good writing too. I would say that the first episode doesn't really show this off but stick with it and i think people will be happy with the final result.

Honestly as great as binge watching on Netflix is its pretty sad to finish a show in a couple of days and then realise you will uave to wait a year for new episodes.

Member876

Banned
I'm at episode 5. So far it has been ok show, good jokes here and there but I'm not all that interested in the characters, except for Bojack. I also think the "emotional punch" in couple of episodes has felt bit forced (funeral & space opera episodes). I also hate the over use of cutaways. Oh, and I really like intro music.

"This is a song from the 80s. The decade which it currently is"

Also, so many good sight gags in this.
It's the 90's, everyone listening to grunge and wearing flannel. Gonna go somewhere, probably seatle.
Also agree on the intro which is great but the closing credits are even better "I'm bojack, don't pretend like you don't know"

120v

i didn't plan on watching more episodes past the first one but i was really bored lastnight and fired up the rest of the season... it definitely got a lot better, glad i gave it a second chance. hope it gets a few more seasons

lsslave

Jew Gamer
A lot of people are right about the quality improvement. Give it a second shot people! Basically everything after the first episode just gets progressively better (3 is a bit of a step back from 2 but better than the opener) and the final I'd say 4 episodes are just fantastic.

I'm glad I gave the show a shot, it is a fantastic series that I hope doesn't die off because of a terrible opening episode.

And even the second half of the first episode is an improvement.. Basically the first 10 minutes of the show are absolute garbage and the rest is fantastic.

Cyan

Banned

Oh damn, is this Raizin's show? I gotta check it out.

Didn't dig the first episode when I saw it. Gave it another chance after this thread. Currently on last episode, and I have to say it was a lot better than I thought it would be.

obin_gam

It really do gets a lot better towards the ending.

It'll not beat Rick & Morty as this years best new cartoon though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom