• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bojack Horseman |OT| Season 1 now up on Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalor

I've just finished the first series and I'm glad that a second series has been renewed already. It must of been doing well since it has only been four days since it was put on Netflix.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Can't believe all the negativity on the first page. It's not the best show I've ever seen, but still entertaining enough to keep watching (6 eps in). Although I would do anything to hear more of Paul F. Tompkins.

I think the show works because it has such a core of sadness, which you see in the intro as well. I don't know that it's LOL funny or really cutting satire, but as a personal story of a sad, lonely, needy guy I think it worked well.
That's why I really enjoyed it. The last two episodes had a pretty strong impact on me.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I really liked it, its no Rick and Morty, but I'd put it on the same level as Bob's Burgers. The season also seemed to get better as it went forward. Lot of subtle and semi hidden stuff you gotta look for.

MrBS

I churned through the first series over the weekend. I thought the first episode was poor but I'm glad I gave it a go later as I was hoping some of the darker bits would shine through and it manages quite well. I think this series is a great match for Netflix. Really needs to be watched in one run. The season long arc and continuity makes for an interesting watch and it gets so dark. Quite happy with it in the end but yikes that first episode.

Kalor

Can someone explain the significance of
Observatory
(final scene) to me please?

Herb and Bojack agreed to meet at that observatory once they had became famous so the fact that Bojack was there alone showed that Herb had died and they were never able to make up for the mistakes in the past.

ajcacio

Banned
I took a really positive turn on this show about halfway in, excited for season two

Did anyone notice
the hollywood sign in the credits change to hollywoo after the d is stolen?
I really liked the subtleties in the show.

Finished the 1st season, loved it. As everyone says, it does get better as it progresses.

Favorite Episodes:
6 - Our A-Story Is A 'D' story
8 - The Telescope

Can't wait for season 2!

H3xum

Surprised with how much i enjoyed this show, but, the best part?

The intro. Love that jam and how its set.

BluWacky

Show gets so much better as it goes on, basically as it gets sadder and sadder. Bojack is a dick, which makes the first few episodes incredibly tedious, but as this begins to backfire on him and we see just how miserable his life is the show gets infinitely more entertaining.

So... not a huge success as a comedy, perhaps?

While I'm glad it's been renewed for a second season, I kind of felt that it all wrapped up rather nicely in one series - I'm not sure where I'd want to see it go in the future. I suppose we have yet to meet the other two kids from Horsin' Around, but I'm not sure what they can do with, for instance, Diane, that won't be a retread of this season.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I really liked this season. Great premise, rather
bittersweet unfold of the events
, but as a subversion of other animated sitcoms, I think it works well.

Bravocado

It starts decent and gets a bit better each episode. I was thoroughly enjoying myself by the second half of the season.

Kudos to Will Arnett for one of his best, most nuanced performance since A.D.

I watched two episodes. Not bad, but not really doing anything for me either. Reminds me of a cross between the weird random humour of Regular Show crossed with the sex/drug/offensive jokes from Family Guy. I may check more out, but not exactly rushing to do so.

I watched two episodes. Not bad, but not really doing anything for me either. Reminds me of a cross between the weird random humour of Regular Show crossed with the sex/drug/offensive jokes from Family Guy. I may check more out, but not exactly rushing to do so.

The reason I would say to continue is that they actually make depressing situations funny without mocking them, which is difficult and worthy of respect I think.

The show gets darker as it goes.

It maybe wasn't as funny as I thought it could be, but the show makes up for it with great characters and storytelling.

People turned off by the first couple episodes need to stay with it, this show is excellent.

Vert boil

Finally finished the show, funny throughout. The second to last episode was great, best of the season.
I was expecting twenty five minutes per episode would be too long but it was fine. It actually didn't feel like that amount of time had passed per episode.

The most amusing thing about the show (apart from Podding F. Tompkast) were the creatures that don't have an angled head. Their eyes just peeking around their heads killed me every time.

The worst thing was Alison Brie's aussie accent. Fuuuuck.

And I see it's already been renewed. Most excellent.

Bojack: Face palm, bang bang

Watched a couple of episodes the other night, it's good, I enjoyed it. It's not on an Archer level of wit and satire, nor is it as charming as a Bob's Burgers. But then again, it's not supposed to be. The reviews are unfairly comparing the show to it's peers instead of judging it as it's own entity. Great cast, the premise is entertaining and the anthropomorphic animals lead to a lot of clever gags.

It's a slow start but I started liking the show as soon as they introduced Vincent Adultman. I want to see more appearances of him.

I'm ready for season 2.

I enjoyed Episode 7 and onwards, but can't really recommend the first half of the series. Now it's found its feet, however, Season 2 should be good from the start.

And I agree, the opening and ending themes are great.

ZoddGutts

Watched the first 6 eps. Yeah, the first episode was terrible but it does get better after that. Will try to finished the rest later tonight or tomorrow.

This show was amazing. I'm sad it ended though. I wanted more.

Also it's nowhere near as sad or depressing as Moral Orel so that's answered.

This show was amazing. I'm sad it ended though. I wanted more.

Also it's nowhere near as sad or depressing as Moral Orel so that's answered.

Give it another season. I think Moral Orel may also have been more depressing because Orel was an actually nice person, and a child to boot.

Give it another season. I think Moral Orel may also have been more depressing because Orel was an actually nice person, and a child to boot.

Yeah it could totally get there I spose.

I just doubt it will ever get to the depths of [actual moral orel spoilers here]
the psychological horror of getting raped and having a self abortion, a father getting so drunk he shoots his son, an intense homoerotic love triangle causing marriages to fall apart, someone mutilating their genitalia in an attempt to feel anything sexual, intense mental disturbia someone has over only being viewed as a sexual object putting them in a child like state, intense parental abuse culminating in a removal of ovaries, not to mention the complete intoxicating overall theme of hopeless and despair.
It's a pretty intense show. I do agree the child thing definitely plays into it, but also the fact that it's centered around religion as well.

Bojack spoilers for instance
suicide of a childhood hero, death of a betrayed friend after years due to cancer, his parental abuse is just verbal, 'can you be a good person inside' etc.
doesn't come close.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Big fan. Can't wait for season two. What are we probably looking at, 6-9 months?

Just started watching it tonight, 3 episodes in and I really like it. I went in with low expectations and it's easily exceeded them. It's not a laughfest but that's hardly hindered my enjoyment. Voice actors all do a good job as well, I like Aaron Paul's character.

Just watched the pilot. Great intro! The show itself, though... :S

Pilot is the weakest episode. Give it more chances.

Yeah it could totally get there I spose.

I just doubt it will ever get to the depths of [actual moral orel spoilers here]
the psychological horror of getting raped and having a self abortion, a father getting so drunk he shoots his son, an intense homoerotic love triangle causing marriages to fall apart, someone mutilating their genitalia in an attempt to feel anything sexual, intense mental disturbia someone has over only being viewed as a sexual object putting them in a child like state, intense parental abuse culminating in a removal of ovaries, not to mention the complete intoxicating overall theme of hopeless and despair.
It's a pretty intense show. I do agree the child thing definitely plays into it, but also the fact that it's centered around religion as well.

Bojack spoilers for instance
suicide of a childhood hero, death of a betrayed friend after years due to cancer, his parental abuse is just verbal, 'can you be a good person inside' etc.
doesn't come close.

Fuck I need to rewatch Orel. Thanks a lot. :mad:

Also Bojack stuff:
Herb died? I must have missed that. I thought the last scene was him at his house laughing with the hospice worker. Granted he is going to die very soon, but did he die that episode?

Zach

Finished it. Felt generous and gave it four stars. I look forward to season two.

And you guys keep talking about Moral Orel. Should I watch it?

Amir0x

Banned
Started out a bit meh, but by the end it's just one super dark cartoon. I like feel bad for Bojack lol

Moral Orel started out OK, but then it also turned the corner into super dark territory. Moral's relationship with his father is really profoundly messed up.

Lenz44

Banned
I'm glad I stuck with the show after the first episode. It sounds like everyone was pretty "meh" on it as well. The last two episodes were great, and I'm really glad to hear season two is green lit. The only problem I have with the shows that have all the episodes up at once, is that I binge watch it and have to wait a while for the next season : /

Ah well, maybe a re-watch is needed in a month or two (Or maybe now, who knows)

Pilot is the weakest episode. Give it more chances.

Fuck I need to rewatch Orel. Thanks a lot. :mad:

Also Bojack stuff:
Herb died? I must have missed that. I thought the last scene was him at his house laughing with the hospice worker. Granted he is going to die very soon, but did he die that episode?

People seem to be interpreting the last scene as that. I can see it go either way. I mean he's across the country and super sick, of course he's not going to make the high five, doesn't mean he's dead. But I see it a lot so... I just went with the darkest interpretation for a comparison point.

The jokes are just so tired. Some are seriously elementary school tier.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhh"
*10 minutes later*
"ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

This ain't SpongeBob :U

On episode 2 and it hasn't improved, but the IMDB trendline looks good at least

The general opinion in this thread is that the earliest episodes are the weakest overall, with the Pilot episode being THE weakest.

Koomaster

Binged through the whole thing today; couldn't keep my eyes away. It's funny, 24 hours ago I didn't know this even existed and now I am excited and looking forward to a season 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom