• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bojack Horseman |OT| Season 1 now up on Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach

I fired up Netflix to watch a random movie and saw this displayed at the top and decided to check it out.

The first episode is a little "eh", but it seems to pick up with each episode. I'm up to episode 5 and I'm really liking it.

This is basically what I came to post.

I rather enjoyed it. It picks up as it goes on and yeah. it gets pretty dark.

Yeah, episode 6 onward gets super dark. The final shot was incredibly emotional.

Dat suicide at episode 11's opening.

Oh damn, is this Raizin's show? I gotta check it out.

YES. Although, the episodes he didn't write are just people trying to imitate his writing style, and that's sort of meh.

Carcetti

What a terrible night. First I watched the pilot of the Bojack Horseman and it was boring with a capital B. So many flat jokes.

Then, thanks to recommendations from GAF, I watched the first episode of Continuum. Now that was terrible. The script, so dumb... argh!

lsslave

Jew Gamer
What a terrible night. First I watched the pilot of the Bojack Horseman and it was boring with a capital B. So many flat jokes.

Then, thanks to recommendations from GAF, I watched the first episode of Continuum. Now that was terrible. The script, so dumb... argh!

I think it's pretty agreed upon that the show gets good AFTER the first episode. The first one is the weak link of the season.

Watched the pilot, I can't help but feel the "narcissistic, washed up actor" character has been done to death and that, like most Netflix original content, the show feels very unambitious.

I will give the second episode a shot since it apparently gets better.

fauxtrot

Banned
On ep 3 so far... it's getting better, but I don't know if many casual viewers will get past that dismal first episode. Ep 2 was better, though, and I'm gonna stick it out to the end.

Anyone else get serious Hotline Miami vibes from the opening credits? The song, the pacing, the lighting, and of course the horse head all reminded me of it. That and the end theme are awesome.

On ep 3 so far... it's getting better, but I don't know if many casual viewers will get past that dismal first episode. Ep 2 was better, though, and I'm gonna stick it out to the end.

Anyone else get serious Hotline Miami vibes from the opening credits? The song, the pacing, the lighting, and of course the horse head all reminded me of it. That and the end theme are awesome.

The whole show sometimes makes me think I'm watching a Hotline Miami tv series, which is bizarre. The opening and outro songs are great.

I don't understand the backlash to the first episode..

Zekes!

Just finished the season. Man, I ended up really liking it. Anyone who's put off by the first episode should stick with it. Are they making a second season?

Thank God I'm not the only one. Every episode I sat there and wondered "why does this make me think of Hotline Miami so much?". It's bizarre.

Sheroking

I was really "meh" after the first few episodes, but by episode 6 I started liking it a lot more.

Not many animated shows have one continuous character driven plot, so maybe it's just that.

yeah

please i want an answer to this too

I have not seen the touted Oral S3, but I have seen Ricky & Morty.

What is Oral like?

For those that want to know about Dark Horseman:
A character commits suicide in the opener of the finale, BoJack was abused as a child, BoJack tries to make amends with a fellow comic that has cancer but lets his ego get in the way, and the final shot of the season is him at the Griffith Observatory, alone, meaning the friend he backstabbed died and their friendship was never recovered beforehand.

Other than that, there are a lot of Real Talk moments in the back end, too.

well i dont want to know plot points... i havent watched the show yet...

moral orel just gets really depressing and kind of angry

further amplified by the fact that the beginning of the show, and its main schtick, is that its all cheery and happy

Kurdel

Banned
I am really loving the show!

Probably lightning going through a ball logo, but it sure looked familiar :p!

1370507bff80ca9c91ebe52bb879e594_zps27ff3112.jpg

well i dont want to know plot points... i havent watched the show yet...

moral orel just gets really depressing and kind of angry

further amplified by the fact that the beginning of the show, and its main schtick, is that its all cheery and happy

I need to know details about Oral.

Not

Banned

At least you have working plumbing and food in the fridge and can breathe oxygen.

Mr. Perspective here, gotcher back.

EDIT:

It's really not a laugh out loud comedy at all. Anyone going into it expecting a laugh a minute is going to be disappointed.

Anyone expecting this comedy to make you laugh is going to be disappointed. It's not that kind of comedy

saunderez

I wasn't expecting that, but I was expecting something more than a collection of tired cliches, bland characters, terrible art, and boring scenes.

You didn't watch enough to be able to judge the characters. As for the cliches, they are there for a reason - because Bojack is a living breathing cliche who is stuck in the past. Only thing I won't argue about is the art, it's serviceable but thats about it.

Duderz

Banned
Just finished the season. Man, I ended up really liking it. Anyone who's put off by the first episode should stick with it. Are they making a second season?

Yes! :)

Please stick with the show those who were turned off by the pilot. Those are always the hardest episodes to nail down, but beyond that there are some real gems to be found here. (Dat episode 11...
did anyone catch the Akira homage?

Finished the whole thing. It got better, because the first episode was a disaster, but it never got good.

It was on the brink a few times to go beyond mediocre but didn't. Then it ended with that terrible Tegan and Sara song.

120v

my favorite thing about this show is that story arcs transpire through multiple episodes. i can't remember the last time an animated comedy was like that

Aiii

So not worth it
I laughed out loud pretty hard at Todd and Mr. Peanutbutter's business idea at the last episode.

"Did we ever put that new floor in?" Poor Andrew Garfield.

BPoole

I watched the first two episodes and it has gotten some good chuckles out of me. I like the subtle touches of humor such as Bojack's agent hanging a little mouse from the TV while she is running on a treadmill or how Peanut Butter has artsy pictures of tennis balls in his house.

saunderez

I watched the first two episodes and it has gotten some good chuckles out of me. I like the subtle touches of humor such as Bojack's agent hanging a little mouse from the TV while she is running on a treadmill or how Peanut Butter has artsy pictures of tennis balls in his house.

Yeah theres a lot of sight gags, not a lot of direct jokes from the dialogue though.

Kurdel

Banned
Finished the show last night, it really is something special.

Anyone stopping on episode 1 is making a huge mistake: for me this isn't really a comedy, but there still are some really funny gags. I really felt like I can identify with BoJack, because I am totally a Zoey who wants to be a Zelda.

Mister Peanut Butter was also an amazing character.
That line where he says you need to focus on unimportant things to be happy then you die, holy fucking shit!

Can't wait for more!

Congrats to you guys who worked on it!

Finished the last episode just now. I agree with everyone on the fact that it gets better as the episodes progress. I was kind of sad when I finished the last episode and released that was the last episode. I hope they pick this up for a second season. Would love to see
what further business endeavors Mr. Peanut Butter and Todd come up with, if Vincent Adultman will ever get uncovered, and BoJack making Secretariat.

This show has a great cast and everyone did a great job with the voice overs. 4/5 in my book.

jstripes

Banned
Is this yet another tries-too-hard "Let's get a lot of celebrity comedian voices!" animated comedy?

I dunno. These shows tend to put the cart before the horse.

Zach

Is this yet another tries-too-hard "Let's get a lot of celebrity comedian voices!" animated comedy?

I dunno. These shows tend to put the cart before the horse.

Seemed like that was a possibility going in (and early on), but now I'm halfway through and it's pretty great. I look forward to watching more, but I don't look forward to it ending. That's about the best compliment I can give, as I tend to be a bit of a "man, let's wrap this up already" kind of guy.

cwmartin

Loved it, had me sucked once I saw he was wearing apple pajama bottoms. Are people watching this while doing something else? The funny is in the visual, not the auditory.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think the show works because it has such a core of sadness, which you see in the intro as well. I don't know that it's LOL funny or really cutting satire, but as a personal story of a sad, lonely, needy guy I think it worked well.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I thought it was enjoyable. Don't go in expecting to laugh much.

How dark things got was really the draw for me. Oh, and all the dumb jokes about how things would be different if famous animals were humanoid ("Air Bud International").

edit: Also, I loved trying to figure out which side characters were also voiced by Paul F. Tompkins and Patton Oswalt. They did a lot of side characters. You could hear some of PFT's CBB characters throughout the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom