• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker's Terra Battle (iOS/Android) detailed [Official site up, details + videos]

duckroll

Official Site: http://www.terra-battle.com/en/
Gameplay Systems (with videos): http://www.terra-battle.com/en/gamesystem.html

---

Details for Sakaguchi's upcoming mobile RPG have surfaced in this week's Famitsu. There's some good news, some bad news, and some really weird news.

First off, the good news is that the game is designed to have a full story experience spanning 30 chapters, complete with an ending. The game is f2p, but anyone who downloads it can finish the story. After beating the game you can continue playing to level up your characters further and fight challenging enemies.

The gameplay sounds like a strategy RPG of sorts. The battlefields are 8x6 grid maps, with enemies on the map and player units. When all enemies are defeated you win the mission. There's some sort of 4 second time limit for moving freely within a square during a turn. So a mix of realtime and turn based maybe? Need pics.

The not so good news is that the game uses micro-transactions for an energy system. Energy is a pay currency in the game which can be used to replenish Stamina (argh!!), continue after a game over, or for more chances at the item gambling stuff. All standard f2p stuff, usually used in not so good ways.

Now for the really really weird part. Terra Battle will feature what they call a "Download-Starter" system. It's a riff off Kickstarter, where they are trying to crowd source expanding content for the game. Or a marketing gimmick. Based on the number of unique downloads for the title, they will be adding extra stuff at certain milestones.

100k - Nobuo Uematsu will compose addition tracks
200k - Hideo Minaba will design a new character
300k - Manga artist Nakaba Suzuki joins the project
400k - Artist Hitoshi Yoneda joins the project
500k - Manabu Kusunoki joins the project to design additional characters
600k - Kimihiko Fujisaka will design additional characters
700k - Ex-Artoon developer Naoto Oshima joins the project to design additional monsters, and a co-op mode will be developed for the game
800k - An artbook for the game will be produced
900k - The Digital Soundtrack will be released, free for an limited duration
1mil - A live concert event helmed by Uematsu will be held, a versus mode (bluetooth) will be added to the game, attack illustrations for each character and job class will be added to the game
1.1m - Sakaguchi will be designed as a boss character in the game
1.2m - Nobuo Uematsu will compose more additional tracks
1.3m - A strategy guide for the game will be produced
1.4m - A collectible figure will be produced
1.5m - Yasumi Matsuno joins the project to develop new scenarios, characters, and adding to the world setting. Yoshitaka Amano also joins the project.
2mil - A console MMORPG called Terra Battle World will be developed

zqaoekW.jpg

4CMeybf.png

iPXMNoc.jpg

zeromcd73

Got excited when I read non-mobile but that quickly dispersed when I read the next word :(

Why not port the single player IOS game to consoles/handhelds instead :(

JoJoSono

Banned
Jesus I would have been fine with a simple mobile jrpg from him. This sounds terrible though. I really don't like F2P schemes. I really just want to buy the game and be done. Maybe some dlc, but no built in schemes like this.

adixon

Wow, this is one of the most depressing things about video games I've ever read.

*edit*

Alright, I honestly didn't notice that it was downloads instead of actual pledges on kickstarter for the stretch goals. That makes it way less tone deaf than I thought.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I kinda like the idea of a "Download-Starter" because I guess you're at least getting something right there and then.

Chobel

Why does it matter what sort of game it is? Uematsu is composing the music. That'll be enough of a draw.

I dunno, It just doesn't like a good incentive to get more downloads. IMO people would like to see stuff that are directly related to the game.

duckroll

I dunno, It just doesn't like a good incentive to get more downloads. IMO people would like to see stuff that are directly related to the game.

Have you seen Mistwalker's other mobile games? They're not a good incentive to get more people to download the company's future games either. :p

Even if Terra Battle gets that amount of downloads, who's to say there'll be enough paying customers to merit the investments into those extra stuff?

wrowa

Download-Starter sounds like a really cool idea to me. It's a good way to give people incentives to spread word about the game. Considering that it's not directly linked to any money spend, I take it as a sign that they are convinced of Terra Battle's quality.

So the terra battle concert would cost $700,000?

$200,000 just to design a new character?

$1,400,000 for a collectible figure?

Probably some of the worst stretch goals I've ever heard of.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So the terra battle concert would cost $700,000?

$200,000 just to design a new character?

$1,400,000 for a collectible figure?

Probably some of the worst stretch goals I've ever heard of.

Those are downloads, not dollars.

They're essentially getting more money from Gung-Ho if the game is successful in terms of getting downloads.

MetalDeer

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.. The things I would do for another Mistwalker RPG...

Having a full story doesn't sound too bad, but I have my doubts that it will be worth putting up with the bullshit to play it. I guess we'll just have to see. I'll give it a try, at least.

Those are downloads, not dollars.

They're essentially getting more money from Gung-Ho if the game is successful in terms of getting downloads.

Ahhhhh ok.

Yeah totally missed that. Never seen anything like that so just routed to what has been going on for some time now.

Yeah thats a pretty interesting way of doing a kickstarter, basing it on downloads and not pure $$$, especially for a F2P

Reveirg

This is pretty much the only mobile game I've been hyped for since Final Fantasy Dimensions. And I was somewhat disappointed by that one.
I just hope the microtransactions aren't too much of a big deal for Terra Battle. The art looks really good so far.

That MMORPG needs to happen!

duckroll

Hmmm, the original list of Download-starter stretch goals might not even be complete! I read on another blog that Sakaguchi's interview with Famitsu mentions that at 1.5 million downloads, Matsuno and Amano will join the project! Looooool.

What region is this game for?

Should be worldwide. Sakaguchi will be at PAX Prime unveiling the game.

chrono01

I don't mind F2P apps, such as Puzzle & Dragons, Brave Frontier, Love Live, etc. as long as they're fun. It gives me something to do/check in on daily, and there's really no need to spend any real money if you don't want to [although I have been guilty of spending a bit in the past]. That's assuming the actual game is...you know...fun to play.

If this one gets localized, and it looks enjoyable, I might give it a try.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Terrible artstyle and characters designs, damn... it almost looks and sounds like one of those randoms korean rpgs popping up daily on the internet. Why Sakaguchi?

Top Bottom