• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megami Tensei: The Old Testament fan translation released

Aeana

http://aerie.wingdreams.net/?p=283

This is a remake of Megami Tensei 1 and 2 for SNES.

LJF9mzT.png
ylj7Rji.png
UEwvdKw.png
VdjrZbV.png

KFwiQnv.png
FXrQsH1.png
1Pb9dm3.png
m67t8m4.png

Most of these shots are from MT1 since I haven't gotten to MT2 yet and there weren't any screenshots released for the patch as of yet. I highly recommend these games, though, especially MT2 which is one of my personal favorites. I'm really glad people can finally play these two games in English!

Extatic.Tried to play it in Japanese, never finished it. I will probably give it another go somewhen in the coming months.

So now it's only SMT If... that we are missing, if I'm correct ?

Jucksalbe

Banned
This is great.
But I still haven't even played SMT1 and 2, so I'll probably wait to pick this up. How rare is this game?

Tizoc

Am I to assume the Hero gets stat points when leveling up? How best to distribute these points?

So how much will it cost me to play this? Adding up cost to import the carts, rom dumping hardware, etc?

There's no way to patch the actual cart and play it on something like the retron5 is there?

Nairume

Banned
I just finished marathoning both games last week. Megami Tensei 1 holds up amazingly well for being one of the first really big console JRPGs. Its dungeon design is really creative for its time and it basically only has one section where the game stumbles.
Fuuuuuuuck you Sea of Fire

Megami Tensei 2 is also a really fantastic game and really stands well as the genesis of modern Megami Tensei. Only major flaw it has is that it gets aimless at times.
It's also notable for not falling to Atlus's weird issue where they don't know how to balance an end game.

So now it's only SMT If... that we are missing, if I'm correct ?
If..., Majin Tensei 1 and 2, and Last Bible 3 as far as the SNES games go.

Nairume

Banned
Am I to assume the Hero gets stat points when leveling up? How best to distribute these points?

Nakajima in MT1 can probably just be focused on Str and Vit if you are wanting him to tank between managing demons. Only benefit that he'll get from Int is that it makes him less weak to magic attacks. You'll likely be in the 50's level range by the time you reach
Lucifer
, which is more than enough to finish the game. That gives you just enough points to either max out two stats and develop some of the others or build a reasonably well balanced character.

Hideto in MT2 needs to have his Int developed a little to actually progress through a certain point in the story. He also needs a high-ish Int (20's) to wield some of the best equipment in the game. You can supplement that by equipment since gear in MT2 works similarly to SJ and SMT4 where you get significant stat boosts from them. You also get stat incenses for the first time here. MT2 is longer and so you'll can easily get closer to the 70's by the time you finish it, meaning you will generally have about an extra 20 points to buff up Hideto and Rosanna
Or Senda if you decide to go with him over Rosanna and forgo the real ending

Nairume

Banned
Nairume covered it well above, but the hero does not learn spells, so don't bother with magic on him.
Yeah. I'm also inclined to say that Speed may be a little pointless for Nakajima? I mostly had Yumiko on support duties anyway and so that may coloring my memories, but I think MT1 just has items always get initiative in combat so I think Nakajima can efficiently still throw out recovery items in an emergency even if you never develop his speed much.

Vit is definitely his most important stat, though.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into this. Were the Majin Tensei games ever translated?
Techncially no, but Ghideon is/was apparently close on finishing the first one.

The Majin Tensei-esque spinoff of Last Bible, Another Bible, was translated, though.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I have been waiting for this for so long! I bought the snes game off ebay ages ago and tried to play through it once. Now it's time to do it again without needing a guide.

Zambatoh

Nairume covered it well above, but the hero of MT1 does not learn spells, so don't bother with magic on him.

Interesting. Aside from MagDef, there doesn't seem to be much point to buffing up those stats. Well good thing I've been warned ahead of time.

Aeana

Interesting. Aside from MagDef, there doesn't seem to be much point to buffing up those stats. Well good thing I've been warned ahead of time.
It's good to ask because sometimes it isn't intuitive. For instance, in SMT1, the hero doesn't learn spells but you still want intelligence because it affects the success rate of demon conversations.

So how much will it cost me to play this? Adding up cost to import the carts, rom dumping hardware, etc?

There's no way to patch the actual cart and play it on something like the retron5 is there?

Anyone? How are you guys playing this?
I would love to patch the cart if it's possible, but what do I need in order to do that?

extralite

This is great.
But I still haven't even played SMT1 and 2, so I'll probably wait to pick this up. How rare is this game?

No no no, these come before SMT. You should play MT2 first before SMT1 or it will lose a lot of its impact.

The story of SMT isn't a continuation of MT2 but it expands on the ideas in it. SMT does them better but MT2 did them first. And pretty well too. Still one of my favorites in the series.

Aeana

Anyone? How are you guys playing this?
I would love to patch the cart if it's possible, but what do I need in order to do that?
If you really want to dump the cartridge yourself, then you'll need something like the Retrode. Most people don't go this far and believe that simply owning the cartridge is good enough for getting a ROM dumped by someone else. But everyone has their own moral compass.

You can't actually "patch the cart," though. In order to play this translation on real hardware, you would need a copier like the SD2SNES, or someone to put it onto a reproduction cartridge (I've never done this, and it's expensive).

Nairume

Banned
It's good to ask because sometimes it isn't intuitive. For instance, in SMT1, the hero doesn't learn spells but you still want intelligence because it affects the success rate of demon conversations.
Plus you get moments in MT2 and SMT2 that require you to pump points into it to progress through the story.

If you really want to dump the cartridge yourself, then you'll need something like the Retrode. Most people don't go this far and believe that simply owning the cartridge is good enough for getting a ROM dumped by someone else. But everyone has their own moral compass.

You can't actually "patch the cart," though. In order to play this translation on real hardware, you would need a copier like the SD2SNES, or someone to put it onto a reproduction cartridge (I've never done this, and it's expensive).

Thanks Aeana. I kind of figured I wouldn't be able to patch the cart and play it in actual hardware without jumping through a lot of hoops.
I wanted to know what those hoops were though so I could make an informed decision. There are other games I would like to play on their real hardware too so it wouldn't be just for this game.

I'm not in a position to buy all this equipment right now so I'll have to wait.

Nairume

Banned
How this game hold up, aged well or what?

Megami Tensei 1 holds up insanely well for a dungeon crawler from 1987, though the SNES remake that is being discussed here certainly helps fix a few issues up (easier automap, saving, etc). The dungeon design actually does a lot of neat things that you really don't see anymore in games that take place inside a single megastructure.

Megami Tensei 2 also holds up super well, though you do basically have to accept that you'll need to play with a guide or get used to the idea of wandering around a lot because the game leaves a lot of your progression up to your ability to pay attention to clues noted by random NPCs.
You can also very easily lock yourself into the bad ending pretty early on if you aren't careful.

extralite

Plus you get moments in MT2 and SMT2 that require you to pump points into it to progress through the story.
How much exactly and for what part? My hero is at 8 on my last save where I can still check his stats and I got the good ending.

You can also very easily lock yourself into the bad ending pretty early on if you aren't careful.
It's well into the second half and
your own fault if you don't show mercy to the boss turned frog

Edit: And I got the good ending without a guide too.

Aeana

Megami Tensei 1 holds up insanely well for a dungeon crawler from 1987, though the SNES remake that is being discussed here certainly helps fix a few issues up (easier automap, saving, etc). The dungeon design actually does a lot of neat things that you really don't see anymore in games that take place inside a single megastructure.

Megami Tensei 2 also holds up super well, though you do basically have to accept that you'll need to play with a guide or get used to the idea of wandering around a lot because the game leaves a lot of your progression up to your ability to pay attention to clues noted by random NPCs.
It's kinda weird but I actually prefer the way mappara works in the original games over the weird overlay in the remakes. But that's about the only thing I prefer about the original versions.

I've said it many times before, but MT2 was the first RPG I ever bought with my own money and completed on my own so it's certainly very special for that reason, but it's also a really, really, really good game that stands up incredibly well compared to its peers. MT1 does as well, of course, just that its peers are 3 years older.

Nairume

Banned
How much exactly and for what part? My hero is at 8 on my last save where I can still check his stats and I got the good ending.
It's when you go to Shibuya
to fight Balaam for the Earth Pillar
. You can't actually get through the area unless you have 7 Int. Granted, you probably have that just through your equipment, but it's not impossible to get to that point and not meet the requirement.

As for SMT2
Aleph needs 12 Int to win the dance competition that nets you one of the pillars

It's well into the second half and
your own fault if you don't show mercy to the boss turned frog
Was it really in the second half? I guess the time I spent leveling and stuff made it feel like going into the Expanse was the midpoint.

But it'd be easy to want to kill him, given he just killed your bro.

Also, I imagine it'd be easy to side with Senda over Rosanna if you miss the dialog that hints that she's not evil and that Pazuzu might be playing you.

I'm hoping they sometime finish the translations for the original NES MT's
Megami Tensei 1 is translated and finished. They are just holding it off for the game's next anniversary (which is in two weeks).

They just got unlucky that the remake translation project got picked back up and finished out of the blue.

Top Bottom