• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAMGAF | plays games - Proteus & Grim Legends

Arthea

iNowy1a1OX4h1.png

On our quest to battle monstrosity that is steam library, steamgaf teams up for this great adventure.

We pick relatively unknown, unplayed and recently being on sale or in the bundle game and play it for a week, the next week we pick another one and so on. We post about, discuss it and some of us will probably even finish it. To rephrase popular saying of Jasec: even games nobody played need some love.

Let fun and games begin!

id7XLvfGG97q8.png

HALL OF FAME

I play my games!

while I finish them!
  1. Deques
  2. Arthea
  3. Spyware
  4. davonaytor
  5. LurkerPrime
  6. Copons
  7. Fare Godmace
  8. Sendou
FAQ:
under construction

games played:

Ozium

played this game already on the 3DS... nice that you PC players are getting leftovers tho!

i kid i kid nice thread suikoder

Tizoc

Would it count if I'm playing it on my Vita or 3DS? :p

Great thread though, and I hope the best for you and GAFfers willing to tackle their backlog =D

Ozium

can we add a segment on the flowchart asking if you are JaseC, then asking if the game you are about to play is by Ubisoft?

edit: also have you decided how the next game will be chosen?

Arthea

can we add a segment on the flowchart asking if you are JaseC, then asking if the game you are about to play is by Ubisoft?

yes, inside guidelines (it has to be relatively unplayed game, currently on sale) person who finished steamdig first chooses our next game.

edited: I was going this route you describe, but somehow flowchart got way too big with all our memes on it and whatnot.

aku:jiki

I just finished this a couple of weeks ago, so I can't post ongoing impressions, but I did enjoy what I played. I probably should've used the teleporter item more often, and I didn't realize the world isn't procedurally generated and as such probably could've searched it more (I think I missed one "bonus room"). I never really thought the game was a chore and I diligently dug passages almost everywhere and got all the loot that wasn't in extremely inconvenient places. Nice music, too.

One complaint is that I don't know why there was only one boss at the very end. Each of those challenge rooms should've had one!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Fantastic OP! Good to know you actually made the thread. Count me in!

That would be making too many inside jokes, I believe :p

mclem

Been wanting this 'book club' sort of thing for a while - if nothing else, it could serve to revitalise the online in some dead games for a bit with a concerted effort to get GAFfers around at the same time.

That said, in this specific instance... I've already played through the game on 3DS. Oh well!

Arthea

Been wanting this 'book club' sort of thing for a while - if nothing else, it could serve to revitalise the online in some dead games for a bit with a concerted effort to get GAFfers around at the same time.

That said, in this specific instance... I've already played through the game on 3DS. Oh well!

There will be another game next week, hopefully one you haven't played.

Steamworld Dig was a lot of fun.
It's just the right length and difficulty.

Roughly how long is the game? I got it in the Humble Bundle and it looked quite interesting - I don't know anything about the game but the screenshots look interesting enough. I will load it up later and see what I can do.
Perhaps I might even finish it in the week.

maxcriden

Roughly how long is the game? I got it in the Humble Bundle and it looked quite interesting - I don't know anything about the game but the screenshots look interesting enough. I will load it up later and see what I can do.

It's about 5-6 hours, slightly more if you're going for a completionist run.

Jawmuncher

It's about 5-6 hours, slightly more if you're going for a completionist run.

I did it in about 4.
Like Maxcriden said depends a lot on just how much you want to get done in it.
I just loved racing to the bottom.

imageform

and here's even the developer of SteamWorld Dig, hope I'm not intruding! Please feel free to ask anything about the game, or SteamWorld in general, or about us. :) /Brjann, Image & Form

I really like this idea.

I played this one on 3ds already, though. Great game that I definitely recommend.

EDIT: imageform are cool dudes. They answered my questions and stuff in the comments section of a game news site when the game was launching.

This thread is timely - I just started playing SWD the other day.

I keep getting crushed by rocks.

and here's even the developer of SteamWorld Dig, hope I'm not intruding! Please feel free to ask anything about the game, or SteamWorld in general, or about us. :) /Brjann, Image & Form

At the end of the game, after the credits, does the protagonist's metal frame break off to reveal his fine interior?

rjc571

Banned
I was interested in SteamWorld Dig ever since it first came out for 3DS, but without a demo I never convinced myself to buy it, as I was unsure if the digging gameplay would become too repetitive for me. But thanks to the humble bundle I finally got to try it out, and it had me hooked! I couldn't put it down until I had dug up every treasure and purchased every upgrade. Great game.

Arthea

it's great having you with us, we hope some secrets and tips spilled over this week ;)

imageform

This thread is timely - I just started playing SWD the other day.

I keep getting crushed by rocks.

At the end of the game, after the credits, does the protagonist's metal frame break off to reveal his fine interior?

Watching out for those Dig-Duggy rocks is a good thing. That's quite a spoiler-y question you pose, here goes the answer:
no, not that I can recall. :)

imageform

it's great having you with us, we hope some secrets and tips spilled over this week ;)

Thanks! Want to tell everyone to get HIB12 - amazing company for our unpretentious little game, and great value! You could say we feel pretty humble, if you're a punny sort of person.

Been playing for about 40 minutes now and I am finding the digging to be strangely therapeutic (EDIT) and addictive!

I am looking forward to seeing what upgrades / tools there are and how it affects the game.

I wasn't digging this game initially, but now I've found a certain depth within the game. It gets better as you progress!

My favourite moment so far has been (easter egg)
visiting GameGo's deathly waiting line.
Bravo, imageform.

Arthea

My first day as a miner didn't go all that well, after my epic entrance, totally my style, I must add,

and showing some unexpected professionalism, I thought I have it covered, all bases. Little did I know what awaits me down there. I was crushed by a boulder. One would think that until 21st century they had to discover how to prevent people being crushed by boulders, instead of improving iphones, who cares how advanced you phone is when you are crushed by a bolder, eaten by troglodytes and have to crawl your way back to surface every 10 minutes. At least they could give me assistant, seeing as I'm overqualified for this job as it is.

At least I get to level and upgrade my stuff, but those prices, Odin, those prices, are they hired by acti or something?

doing quite spectacular job with my digging and in process of that making my way to the surface as painful as it was possible, I decided to call it a day, miners need rest too.

I bought a ladder, but it didn't appear in my inventory, for some reason. I can use it, can't I?
Are ladders I place (if I can) are permanent, or they disappear over time?

Liking this game more than I expected so far, will continue tomorrow.

Deques

Does the game get more variations? I have played for an hour and it feels very repetitive.

There is a lot of backtracking because of selling minerals

Arthea

Does the game get more variations? I have played for an hour and it feels very repetitive.

apparently there is sort of teleportation device later on, someone mentioned in this thread, but I haven't find anything of the sort yet, and going up is getting really painful, yes. I too played an hour or so.

Sendou

Starting to play this now. I actually played this for like an hour and half on 3DS but stopped for some reason. It did seem interesting though. Oh well now is the perfect chance to fix that.

Deques

apparently there is sort of teleportation device later on, someone mentioned in this thread, but I haven't find anything of the sort yet, and going up is getting really painful, yes. I too played an hour or so.

I found a teleporter in the mine, but it's still backtracking to it. The store sells a teleports, but are these one time use?

Copons

Trying not to spoil anything, but the more you sell / go deep, the more equipment you'll find, or unlock to buy
and new locations/obstacles/enemies too!

Do not be scared of using teleports (but also don't spam them everywhere as pearls are an uncommon commodity) and try to dig in an exploration-efficient way.

Like, don't run to the bottom, because then it may be difficult to reach that one gem just a couple of blocks far. What I do instead is exploring horizontally to check if I'm missing something and then going down. It takes time, of course, but this way you'll be able to buy upgrades early in the game.

Anyway, I'm 5 hours in, even though I restarted the game once because I wanted to try the horizontal approach from the start, and I'm enjoying it so far.
Also, having my equip upgraded early, digging doesn't feel as much of a chore as the game made me expect from the first hour or so.

I found a teleporter in the mine, but it's still backtracking to it. The store sells a teleports, but are these one time use?

They are one time use, meaning that you place one somewhere and it'll stay there forever available for you to use it anytime.

Arthea

ya, I probably should start over, as I did lots of vertical shafts and now moving up is tricky, also I can't reach quite a few spots, we will see if I can go on with mess I made, though.
Also when teleporter unlocks? I'm kinda worried I haven't unlocked it yet.

Copons

ya, I probably should start over, as I did lots of vertical shafts and now moving up is tricky, also I can't reach quite a few spots, we will see if I can go on with mess I made, though.
Also when teleporter unlocks? I'm kinda worried I haven't unlocked it yet.

You could also try to dig another shaft near your one to keep exploring without restarting.
If you (horizontally) get to your old shaft from the new one, remember that if you place yourself on the very edge of a block, you can dig one block far (I hope it's clear what I'm trying to say :D ).

Code:
..| |__
..| ___
..| |..

Like, if you're on the left edge of the horizontal tunnel, you could dig the | wall on its left side.

I can't remember when teleporter unlocks, but it's kinda early. Anyway, unlocks (which occurr on level up) depend on how much stuff you sell

Deques

Do not be scared of using teleports (but also don't spam them everywhere as pearls are an uncommon commodity) and try to dig in an exploration-efficient way.

How often would you recommend to use the teleports? Will there be more "wild" teleports in the mine besides the first one?

Sendou

First mystery of this game: why the population of 3 and not 4? Maybe this game will take a turn and become a murder mystery game. Played 40 minutes now and I'm liking it. There's just something fundamentally appealing with the concept. Giant boulders are becoming my number one enemies. First they caused a game over only 15 minutes in. With the next boulder I got out of harms way but managed to throw a teleporter under it destroying it in the progress. Maybe not the best start but hey you can't always be good at games.

The art looks great on big screen by the way. Really liking the look.

Copons

How often would you recommend to use the teleports? Will there be more "wild" teleports in the mine besides the first one?

Yup, there will be other teleports. The distance between them is pretty much the same you saw from entrance to first teleport.

As for custom teleport, I usually try to avoid using them as much as I can because I'm a cheapass in games too (and also once I used a custom teleport 3 blocks before discovering a "wild" one, :'( ).

All in all, I guess I'd base the use of teleports upon how tangled is my mine. If you manage to keep a tidy and easy to climb vertical shaft, going back to town isn't that time consuming.
But the more you dig deep, the more stuff go on around you: traps, enemies, or even some explosions that went awry opening a huge hole impossible to climb up without building a long staircase (and you're limited to 5 stair pieces). Maybe you're out of light or out of water or out of space in your pouch. I mean, there will be plenty of circumstances where you have to choose between placing a teleport or struggling hard to climb back to the last entrance you discovered (or even continue digging without light!), so yeah, it will depend on how much you'll enjoy traversing your shafts. :D

Top Bottom