• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAMGAF | plays games - Proteus & Grim Legends

It's basically Twin Peaks the game
we deserve
(><)
I think most beat it on Xbox360, that explains low activity, also PC port has problems and a lot of them, but it's still worth a try.

Twin Peaks had been on my list of stuff I need to watch at some point...

I won Deadly Premonition on steam a week or two ago...

I decided to finally watch Twin Peaks last night...

I'm not sure if I like it. My girlfriend is incredibly bored by it, and I don't think I like it enough to suggest we need to watch more. Oddly, the most amused I was in the first episode was for humor reasons. I found a good amount of funny or awkward scenes that entertained me, but didn't really get in to the drama. Maybe it just hasn't aged well? Or am I a bad person?

Would I still like Deadly Premonition?

Arthea

I'm not sure if I like it. My girlfriend is incredibly bored by it, and I don't think I like it enough to suggest we need to watch more. Oddly, the most amused I was in the first episode was for humor reasons. I found a good amount of funny or awkward scenes that entertained me, but didn't really get in to the drama. Maybe it just hasn't aged well? Or am I a bad person?

Twin Peaks is so weird, I'm waiting for this (right) level of weirdness and amount of plot twists still, in TV series I mean. It's amazing, although I admit that first season was way better than second one and it might be not for everyone, if you aren't in general fond of Lynch work, it might be not for you. As for being boring? In which universe something like that is remotely boring?!

Fractal

Banned
Tried playing it recently, after hearing a lot of interesting stuff about it, but it just didn't click with me. The biggest issue was the large and pointless open world, which is completely monotone and designed without any thought, basically a bunch of roads randomly thrown together. The final nail in the coffin was the map, basic functions like zoom out don't exist, making the map useless, and making the overall navigation a nightmare. Sadly, I simply couldn't get over it, even though I'd really like to see everything the game has to offer story-wise. Maybe someday I'll print the map on a piece of paper, and give it another go...

You might have trouble getting into it but Deadly Premonition is its own thing as well.

Arthea

Thanks to Parsnip's post I managed to play about 30 minutes without crashing. Hopefully that means that we all can play it.

edited: not sure what did a trick, as I did everything (><)

Yakkue

Thanks to Parsnip's post I managed to play about 30 minutes without crashing. Hopefully that means that we all can play it.

edited: not sure what did a trick, as I did everything (><)
I only re-installed PhysX and that worked for me (at least so far).
--
Really loving the soundtrack of this game.

Parsnip

Tried playing it recently, after hearing a lot of interesting stuff about it, but it just didn't click with me. The biggest issue was the large and pointless open world, which is completely monotone and designed without any thought, basically a bunch of roads randomly thrown together. The final nail in the coffin was the map, basic functions like zoom out don't exist, making the map useless, and making the overall navigation a nightmare. Sadly, I simply couldn't get over it, even though I'd really like to see everything the game has to offer story-wise. Maybe someday I'll print the map on a piece of paper, and give it another go...

If you or anyone else wants a gigantic version of the map to print or to open in an ipad or something, here you go.
http://beerlake.net/dp-stuff/dp-map.jpg

It's 8192x8192px, I stitched it together from the in-game map assets a while back.

Fractal

Banned
If you or anyone else wants a gigantic version of the map to print or to open in an ipad or something, here you go.
http://beerlake.net/dp-stuff/dp-map.jpg

It's 8192x8192px, I stitched it together from the in-game map assets a while back.
Very nice, thanks. WIll come in handy if I ever give the game a chance again, I mean, just look at it, how much barren and empty land there is between useful places, for no reason at all.

Also, I played the game for a very short time, do you at least get a fast travel option or something later on?

Parsnip

Very nice, thanks. WIll come in handy if I ever give the game a chance again, I mean, just look at it, how much barren and empty land there is between useful places, for no reason at all.
The best reason for long drives is for conversations between various characters, or York's monologues about 80's movies and such. :p

Also, I played the game for a very short time, do you at least get a fast travel option or something later on?
You can get one pretty early on, I think on the first day even I remember right, it's tied to the Nameless Flower sidequest, if you want to look it up. You still have to drive to places for the first time though.

I started and beat Steamworld Dig the first time this thread popped up, and coincidentally, I just wrapped up Deadly Premonition yesterday for the most part; just the epilogue remains. Man, what a game. The game wasn't shy about throwing in hints at who was involved in the mystery, but there were still a lot of twists I never foresaw. That's going to stick with me for a while. It also got me to watch Twin Peaks halfway through the game.

The only downside to the PC version was the sheer amount of crashes I had to go through. I ended up saving a ridiculous amount of times (and after every action, it felt like) just to mitigate any further lost time.

Well, I got the game installed, went to the PC Gaming Wiki article and applied all of the fixes and improvements from there. The game kept crashing after the intro cinematic, turns out the problem was I had to uninstall LAV Filters (of course?), which are used by Media Browser Theater. Thankfully I use XBMC instead now.

I've got a feeling this is going to be a very rocky road.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
that flowchart offends me

totally accurate tho

also steamworld dig was awesome, one of my favorite games of the year (yes I do play other games, ocasionally)

I'm unfortunately going to be playing this game in extreme slow motion, I've got lots of University stuff to take care of.

But on the bright side, I haven't had any crashes since the initial ones, and I'm enjoying what I've played so far :)

Parsnip

Yesterday I was playing and at some point all the textures started getting messed up, tabbed out of the game and saw that the dp.exe was using about 3gigs of ram. Decided that it was a good time to save and stop.

deadlyp_247660_2014_09_24_00002_by_majorparsnip-d80b067.jpg

Copons

Ugh, for fuck sake, I'm getting a game breaking bug here. :'(

In the first chapter, right after the hospital part, I'm supposed to go talk to
the witnesses
but as it's pretty early in the day I said fuck it let me explore. So, what happens is that every time I get in a car and drive around for like 10 seconds, the game freezes and I'm forced to (at least) sign out of my Win account because the game window is stuck on top of everything, task manager and mouse cursor included.

I already use DPfix, and both DP.exe and DPlauncher.exe are in 98/ME compatibility mode and set to run as admin.
All other fixes suggested on PCGamingWiki don't apply to me.

Arthea

I'm not sure I know what you mean, but I'm pretty sure you're not talking about the cute animal thingies from the FF series. :D

google your problem,
if you aren't kidding, which you most certainly are!
Maybe there is solution somewhere out there

Ugh, for fuck sake, I'm getting a game breaking bug here. :'(
1) When in doubt, restart the computer. That's pretty much the go-to solution most of the time, unfortunately.

2) Enable borderless fullscreen in the DPfix ini file for (generally) better performance and an easier way to quit the game if things go awry. (However, I wasn't able to use compatibility mode with this setting. Compatibility mode was required for certain impasses, but in general, I left it off.)

Copons

1) When in doubt, restart the computer. That's pretty much the go-to solution most of the time, unfortunately.

2) Enable borderless fullscreen in the DPfix ini file for (generally) better performance and an easier way to quit the game if things go awry. (However, I wasn't able to use compatibility mode with this setting. Compatibility mode was required for certain impasses, but in general, I left it off.)

1) I've noticed that just restarting the game several times and doing something slightly different every time eventually fixes the issue. :D

2) I tried (meaning that I tried countless combinations of settings both in DPfix ini and in the launcher :D ), but enabling it, it always crashes right after starting the game from the launcher.

Anyway, I finally got beyond that point and managed to end the episode, save the game and got a crash exactly when I wanted to quit, so hell yeah! :D

Durante

I wish I could figure out why this was happening. I mean, it's so strange - on modern windows it's not like anything can persist which affects a newly launched process. The only thing I could imagine is that it gets some sort of timer which loses accuracy the further you get from the last boot. But that sounds so silly :/

But anyway, yes, restarting your computer before playing, for some reason, fixes lots of issues in this game.

Parsnip

Playing DP is an adventure, and trying to get DP to work decently is another adventure.
Both almost equally thrilling. :p

2) I tried (meaning that I tried countless combinations of settings both in DPfix ini and in the launcher :D ), but enabling it, it always crashes right after starting the game from the launcher.

Borderless from dpfix and windowed from launcher works for me at least, while borderless from dpfix and fullscreen from launcher always crashes.

1) I've noticed that just restarting the game several times and doing something slightly different every time eventually fixes the issue. :D

Anyway, I finally got beyond that point and managed to end the episode, save the game and got a crash exactly when I wanted to quit, so hell yeah! :D
Yeah, at one point, a sidequest would cause an immediate crash no matter what I did, so I just ended putting it off and it worked later. Glad to hear you got past that roadblock, though.
I wish I could figure out why this was happening. I mean, it's so strange - on modern windows it's not like anything can persist which affects a newly launched process. The only thing I could imagine is that it gets some sort of timer which loses accuracy the further you get from the last boot. But that sounds so silly :/

But anyway, yes, restarting your computer before playing, for some reason, fixes lots of issues in this game.
The game certainly is a technical enigma. What was weird for me that once I got past, say, the 20 hour mark, the number of random crashes decreased exponentially, whereas it was borderline unplayable closer to the beginning. Thanks for making it all possible despite those quirks, though! I don't know if I could have stomached the port as easily in its earliest state.

Arthea

fortunately or unfortunately i didn't get any problems while playing the game, only crash i had was after a cutscene which had a definite fix

I was kinda hoping you'd show up, I remember your post that you had no crashes. Tell us your secret, what do you sacrificed and for which god?

Copons

If you guys want to replay chapters to do side missions, chapters 8 is a pretty short one with bunch of them available.

I read about how chapter replays work, and I guess I'll never get to do them, as apparently you can't save in the middle of the chapter, but just at the end. Considering how much I crash, I'd better avoid playing sessions that long. :'(
What's a pity is that I've just passed Chapter 8, so I can't even do those side quests "live" now... :'(

Parsnip

I read about how chapter replays work, and I guess I'll never get to do them, as apparently you can't save in the middle of the chapter, but just at the end. Considering how much I crash, I'd better avoid playing sessions that long. :'(
What's a pity is that I've just passed Chapter 8, so I can't even do those side quests "live" now... :'(

That's exactly why chapter 8 is good, it's a lot of skippable cutscenes and relatively short. Do one or two sidequests and you can rush through the rest of the chapter in maybe 10 minutes. Maybe even less than 10 minutes, I guess that depends if you have the item from George's second sidequest.

I should install some monitoring software and look at what actually happens with the game. I'm almost convinced that there's a gigantic memory leak there somewhere, and the large address aware change I made to the executable is actually helping.
I'm also wondering if it's possible that it's not somehow releasing VRAM properly. But I have no idea if that's even a thing that could happen.

Copons

That's exactly why chapter 8 is good, it's a lot of skippable cutscenes and relatively short. Do one or two sidequests and you can rush through the rest of the chapter in maybe 10 minutes. Maybe even less than 10 minutes, I guess that depends if you have the item from George's second sidequest.

I should install some monitoring software and look at what actually happens with the game. I'm almost convinced that there's a gigantic memory leak there somewhere, and the large address aware change I made to the executable is actually helping.
I'm also wondering if it's possible that it's not somehow releasing VRAM properly. But I have no idea if that's even a thing that could happen.

The memory leak hypothesis sounds legit.
One thing I'm noticing is that I know when I'm going to have a crash because weird things start happening.
Mostly are graphic bugs, like stuff covered in black (probably the lighting system of some models, because black covers even the glare around objects and not just their shapes), or, as just before my last crash, it loaded the entire map spritesheet (consisting of the actual map, all the map icons - also, not really optimized, there are LOTS of repetitions in there... - and even the sprite font!) instead of just its map part, so my GPS showed me driving on top of the diner icon. :D

Copons

I've done almost all side quests, and after that's done I can just power through the rest of the game.

I'm juggling between chapter 8 and 9 to do some side quests, but fuck it's hard with all these crashes.
While I can barely complete chapter 8 with a couple of quests done, I honestly can't get to the end of 9 - and 9 would be great as it has lots of quests basically completable on 9 or 11 (but 11 has the other world part
in Becky's home
, doesn't it, so it's out of question).

Fuck, if it didn't have all these bugs I'd have easily considered it like my GOTG up there with the likes of RDR and the Uncharted series. :(

Parsnip

but 11 has the other world part
in Becky's home
, doesn't it, so it's out of question
Nah, that's on chapter 10. 11 is where you need to find the twins. It's pretty short too, but it has one of those multichoice recaps at the end, and you can't skip all of the dialogue in those. It also has the downside of not being able to buy stuff from milk barn, in case you need something for a quest.

Copons

Nah, that's on chapter 10. 11 is where you need to find the twins. It's pretty short too, but it has one of those multichoice recaps at the end, and you can't skip all of the dialogue in those. It also has the downside of not being able to buy stuff from milk barn, in case you need something for a quest.

Yup, I tried it just after my previous post and it actually is kinda ok for some quests I needed to do. While the recap is annoying, I found that crashes mostly happens right before or after loadings and in chapter 9 there are a lot of mandatory loadings, while chapter 11 could basically just be 1 loading to get to the twins and 1 to the recap.

(even though, chapter 11 mission is limited to 09-19, and... what happens if I miss it? Can I sleep and get it the day after?
specifically to get to do Emily quests - for which I've already all the ingredients - at 21 and the Unwanted Customer at 22
)

Parsnip

(even though, chapter 11 mission is limited to 09-19, and... what happens if I miss it? Can I sleep and get it the day after?
specifically to get to do Emily quests - for which I've already all the ingredients - at 21 and the Unwanted Customer at 22
)

Yeah, you can just sleep and repeat a day that way. For Emily's quests especially since it needs to be raining, I just smoke to get to right time, and sleep in 12 hour chunks until it rains at the correct time, then eat a canned pickle or something so York won't starve. :p And then do the mainline quest the next day.

Copons

Yeah, you can just sleep and repeat a day that way. For Emily's quests especially since it needs to be raining, I just smoke to get to right time, and sleep in 12 hour chunks until it rains at the correct time, then eat a canned pickle or something so York won't starve. :p And then do the mainline quest the next day.

Parsnip please give me a hand for some chain quests, I'm going crazy!

I've finally got to complete the FIRST (of three) cooking quest on chapter 13
first half, before going to the hotel
because it was the only time I got a rainy evening.

Now, apparently this chain is available in chapters 2-4, 6-8, 11-13.

If I wait DAYS in chapter 13 until it rains again at 7-9 PM, I still can't do the next step. Same thing goes for Sigourney's third quest (but that at least I should be able to complete it in upcoming chapters).

Now, if I try to replay another chapter, like 2 or 8, even if I get to a rainy evening without crashing, the Emily quest is never available.

Am I screwed here?
Was I supposed to complete the steps in chronological order (ie. first step in chapter 2, second in 4, third in 8), or am I just freakingly unlucky?

Parsnip

No, I don't think you need to do them in chapter order or anything like that. I'm not sure what's the problem though. It's possible that the time at which the quest is available ranges and smoking outside her house for hour at the time would unlock it. That's all I can think of right now.

Copons

No, I don't think you need to do them in chapter order or anything like that. I'm not sure what's the problem though. It's possible that the time at which the quest is available ranges and smoking outside her house for hour at the time would unlock it. That's all I can think of right now.

I've looked some guides, and actually in only one it's explicitly said "unlocked if done in a previous chapter" and the same guide says that you cannot do more than one step of a chained quest in a single chapter. But I don't know, it would be so stupid, considering that the game actually encourage to replay chapters to do sidequests.

Anyway, one thing I learned is that if it's raining and you go to sleep, most likely you're going to wake up that isn't raining anymore.
So, in the Emily quest that you're supposed to go there in the evening while raining: if it's morning and it's raining, it should be avoided to sleep through the day.

I'm sure about this? No. But I guess with a game like DP no one could ever be sure of anything. :D

Parsnip

I've looked some guides, and actually in only one it's explicitly said "unlocked if done in a previous chapter" and the same guide says that you cannot do more than one step of a chained quest in a single chapter. But I don't know, it would be so stupid, considering that the game actually encourage to replay chapters to do sidequests.

Anyway, one thing I learned is that if it's raining and you go to sleep, most likely you're going to wake up that isn't raining anymore.
So, in the Emily quest that you're supposed to go there in the evening while raining: if it's morning and it's raining, it should be avoided to sleep through the day.

I'm sure about this? No. But I guess with a game like DP no one could ever be sure of anything. :D
Well, I haven't done it all on PC, and it's been a long time since I did it on 360, but I don't remember needing to jump through such hoops back then but who knows.
I have done the Lysander quests, did 3 of them in the same chapter with multiple chapter replays. It would be crazy if Emily's quest was different.

Thanks to this thread I've decided to install Deadly premonition and I've been playing it for the last week, and despite its technical flaws I must admit I'm enjoying it so far - currently I'm at the art gallery.

Top Bottom