• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAMGAF | plays games - Proteus & Grim Legends

So, I've beaten the game. Things are a little slow in the beginning, but the game continually gains momentum to the point that, towards the end, I didn't want to stop playing until I beat it. Overall, it's a fantastic game, and I can see why everyone speaks so highly of it.

Also, Fantastic PC port; I imagine the other versions are just as good. I'll admit I was sceptical that a 3DS(?) game could successfully transition into a PC game, but that was probably just me being silly.

Great job, Image & Form. I look forward to your next game, SteamWorld Heist.

First mystery of this game: why the population of 3 and not 4? Maybe this game will take a turn and become a murder mystery game. Played 40 minutes now and I'm liking it. There's just something fundamentally appealing with the concept. Giant boulders are becoming my number one enemies. First they caused a game over only 15 minutes in. With the next boulder I got out of harms way but managed to throw a teleporter under it destroying it in the progress. Maybe not the best start but hey you can't always be good at games.

The art looks great on big screen by the way. Really liking the look.

Re: the bolded, I wondered the same thing initially. But think about it, which of the townbots would even bother changing it?

Everything is up to Rusty.

Bonus hot tip for falling objects: they have a delayed fall, so if you can dig through the blocks in 1-2 hits you will be able to make it through alive. (use your best judgement) Just make sure you know where you're going afterwards.

Sendou

Bonus hot tip for falling objects: they have a delayed fall, so if you can dig through the blocks in 1-2 hits you will be able to make it through alive. (use your best judgement) Just make sure you know where you're going afterwards.

That's what I'm doing now. Sometimes I'm just not as clever as I'd like to think.

Anybody getting slowdown when an achievement pops? I'm in big picture mode if that matters. Not too distracting but weird. Otherwise they did a very solid job with the port considering the origins.

Just finished this for the second time. I was going for the achievement for beating it under 2.5 hours. I got it with 26 mins to spare :)

3B9F8F5A3424DDB8FD7CDD36C862A712C3415EF0

Arthea

Thanks for tips, guys, got myself portable teleporter, finally, what bothers me that I have only one of them, and no materials for more, so if I'll use it, I again have to go back and forth later on. I was really careful, buying lamps and not plunging into the darkness like a ninja, and I was avoiding dieing so nicely, I thought finally I have all bases covered... and then I meet those shooting turtle thingies and I try to kill them, brave as I am, I think you can imagine the rest.

edited: special thanks goes to Copons for tip, it helped me some today, somehow I didn't think to try before your awesome map art! Positioning is crucial doing that, you kinda need to hang in the air for this to work.

Just finished this for the second time. I was going for the achievement for beating it under 2.5 hours. I got it with 26 mins to spare :)

you started it yesterday and finished today? If that's the case, you most likely will be our next game chooser, I'll contact you on next monday for this.
Unless I'm mistaken and LurkerPrime also started yesterday!

What's your tip to beat the game under 2.5h?

I'm curious about this, too.

you started it yesterday and finished today? If that's the case, you most likely will be our next game chooser, I'll contact you on next monday for this.
Unless I'm mistaken and LurkerPrime also started yesterday!

I started on the 14th, dipping my toe into the various Humble Bundle 12 games.

This isn't some sort of contest, is it? I didn't mean to enter a contest. I merely meant to slay the monster that is my Steam backlog.

Arthea

I'm curious about this, too.

I started on the 14th, dipping my toe into the various Humble Bundle 12 games.

This isn't some sort of contest, is it? I didn't mean to enter a contest. I merely meant to slay the monster that is my Steam backlog.

No, no contest, but we will have the hall of fame, if things will go well and people will play and be active, that is all.
Although it might be some prizes involved at the end of the year, who knows.

No, no contest, but we will have the hall of fame, if things will go well and people will play and be active, that is all.
Although it might be some prizes involved at the end of the year, who knows.
I see.

Seems like a good idea thus far, so thanks for making this thread. I don't know that I would have completed the game so soon without this thread floating around.

Played and beat it on 3DS. Fantastic game, any differences between 3DS and Steam version?

From the Steam store page:

Additions
Compared to the Nintendo 3DS version, this release has:
  • HD graphics: Beautiful, high-resolution (1080p) graphics.
  • Gamepad support: Keyboard, gamepad - play the game your way!
  • Achievements: Completionists rejoice!
  • Eye candy: Animated character portraits, bloom filter and more!
  • Trading cards: With a character set like this? Of course!

Great little game, though I will never get the last upgrade as I ran out of ores to mine and a more than a few silly deaths means I need to start all over again if I wanted it. Maybe someday.

Great thread idea, OP, I've always wanted to do something like this with the fine gents of SteamGAF!

I've been looking forward to play SteamWorld Dig since it was announced for the 3DS, but I didn't buy it when it was released there for reasons and after the PC announcement I decided to wait for a Humble Bundle. However, after finishing my first session (53 minutes long, according to Steam), I must say that I'm not enjoying it at all (yet).

I really dig its artstyle and western setting, but even after playing so little going back to the surface feels like a chore. I'm sure it will be better after acquiring some upgrades, as my two biggest problems are how fast the light runs out and how boring is to press a 5 or 6 times in a row to break some blocks, but I'm not a fan of making a game slower in the beginning since it will make people that don't know better think that the game will always be that boring.

Thankfully, most posts here suggest that that's exactly the case, so I'll give it another try tomorrow to see if it starts getting traction sooner than later.

What's your tip to beat the game under 2.5h?

Uhmm I'm not sure really. I died plenty of times, so I wouldn't really say you need to worry about fucking up. Just keep digging, don't worry about wasting time clearing out areas left to right, but if there are some minerals nearby, feel free to grab them. Every run I had in the mine, I was in there and out of there without needing to worry about my lantern. Try to hold off from surfacing until you hit a shortcut or milestone. Initially I upgraded the Pickaxe and pouch, (item progression spoilers)
and as soon as I got the drill, I spent my money upgrading that and my water container. When I got the drill, that was pretty much all I used until I ran out of water.

Copons

Just finished it!

These are my stats:

Time: 05:32
Total Cash: 23319
Total Orbs: 192
Deaths: 12

All in all a fun little game.
It was very pleasing, near the end, traversing back the mine fully upgraded, without giving a damn about anything.
I guess they could have pushed a bit more on the puzzle caves (even though I'm not a puzzle person) instead having very long digging sections that, while I found them fine, I can see why people consider them a plain boring chore.

Arthea

I managed to get myself a bit into situation here

I pretty much tried everything I can think of, even was ready to waste teleporter, but the game didn't let me to put it there, I'm kinda glad it didn't, so I quit and lost progress.
So, is there any way out of situation like this? Also selfdestruction from menu, what exactly it does? Is it for situations like this? it says restarting a level. and I was thinking what exactly is a level in this case?

Played it on Wii U. In a way, it reminds me of the game from my avatar picture, Legacy of the Wizard. There's a starting area/hub above ground with NPCs/items which is also where you save your progress. The actual game involves descending a single ladder down into a massive dungeon/mine where you have to manage limited ammo/supplies and find key items to increase your abilities. But you can't go too far, or else you won't be able to get back to the surface and will lose your progress.

SteamWorld, the spiritual sequel to Legacy of the Wizard. That's a good thing! I enjoyed it a lot and look forward to a sequel that would really expand on the concept. Maybe some more bosses, multiple playable characters, and a little more variety in the environments.

I managed to get myself a bit into situation here

I pretty much tried everything I can think of, even was ready to waste teleporter, but the game didn't let me to put it there, I'm kinda glad it didn't, so I quit and lost progress.
So, is there any way out of situation like this? Also selfdestruction from menu, what exactly it does? Is it for situations like this? it says restarting a level. and I was thinking what exactly is a level in this case?

If you're in one of the challenge areas (the doorways in the mines) self-destructing will reset the area to when you last entered. That's all. No death penalty aside from having to redo your progress in the room.

Presumably, using it in the regular underground areas would be the same thing as a death. I've never tried it, though, so I cannot say for sure.

I really need to play this game. I've had it forever I guess, I just never played it, and from the looks of it, people really like it.

I just finished the game for the first time, beating int under 4 hours and a half, and as I suspected it improved a lot thanks to some power ups and upgrades. By the end of the game you can breeze through every area, without caring so much about the paths you're making thanks to
the double jump

I only got one golden star, for finding more than 150 orbs, and I'm trying to get 20000 coins as well as finding all the secret areas in order to get some achievements. I always try to 100% my games unless there are speed run achievements or multiplayer ones, and I honestly can't see myself getting the Master Prospector one without making a couple of attempts. I've really enjoyed this game, and I look forward to the sequel, but I've got too many games on my backlog. I know this may sound silly, but now I regret not beating it on the 3DS, that way I wouldn't have to care about not getting every achievement :lol

By the way, regarding the Sequence Breaker achievement:
I got it, which means I destroyed the generators before getting the double jump. If you don't do it, what happens? Are there lasers that don't let you get to the final boss? Do you get mission markers for the caves, or do you have to find out where the generators might be?

Sendou

99823FBF978FA44BEFC94FCA715D17DDAC830883

All right I'm done! I really enjoyed my time with this game. I'm so glad the devs had the sense to keep this focused enough. Often with games you see that developers try doing too many things ending up with a product where nothing is really good. Other thing I liked is lenght. I felt it was pretty much perfect. Otherwise everything seemed to come together nicely. Digging your own tunnels is a very cool concept and it was well executed here. Beautiful artstyle that translated well to the big screen. Extra props to the developers considering the origins!

rjc571

Banned
How are people dying so much? I died 3 times in my first playthrough, and 2 of them were on purpose to reset a bonus room.

It's really easy to die through silly mistakes or impatience, I'd say. That alone is responsible for the lion's share of my deaths.

By the way, regarding the Sequence Breaker achievement:
I got it, which means I destroyed the generators before getting the double jump. If you don't do it, what happens? Are there lasers that don't let you get to the final boss? Do you get mission markers for the caves, or do you have to find out where the generators might be?

Yes, and the former - you are guided to them.

Arthea

davonaytor who finished steamworld dig really fast, chose our next game. We'll try to finish our new game in two weeks, but if necessary we will extend time.
Have fun, oh and obligatory

edited: I was away for awhile, but I'm back now, let's do this!

edit2: could some mod kindly change the title to STEAMGAF | plays games - Deadly Premonition for us?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck that. I'm out.

The PC version of Deadly Premonition is completely broken and unplayable. The only game is seeing if it will take 2 or 3 seconds to CTD after the intro logo.

PM me when the third game has been chosen.

Arthea

Fuck that. I'm out.

The PC version of Deadly Premonition is completely broken and unplayable. The only game is seeing if it will take 2 or 3 seconds to CTD after the intro logo.

PM me when the third game has been chosen.

I thought it's playable in short sessions, that's what I plan to do.
Have you tried to play it after the patch?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I thought it's playable in short sessions, that's what I plan to do.
Have you tried to play it after the patch?

Yes. I tried validating the game files, deleting and attempting a fresh install, and using Durante's patch. Incredibly frustrating circumstances.

I don't even know where my console copy went. :/

Thumbs up for this project. If and when you can get it to work, it's one of the best games ever.

Also: Fullscreen & Autohotkey + Borderless fullscreen has been the best combination for me. It has the benefits of the game actually working of fullscreen without the negative of game not working with Durantes borderless fullscreen for me :p

Arthea

Yes. I tried validating the game files, deleting and attempting a fresh install, and using Durante's patch. Incredibly frustrating circumstances.

we'll see, if most of us won't be able to play it, we'll choose other. I was hopeful as some steamgafers finished it after the patch, it was said that it freezes/crashes if ran for longer periods of time, though

Copons

davonaytor who finished steamworld dig really fast, chose our next game. We'll try to finish our new game in two weeks, but if necessary we will extend time.

Downloading as we speak!
Also, it will probably take me more than two weeks just to download it, but at least that'll give me some time to finish Remember Me! :)

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

If I remember correctly, I had the same problem with Deadly Premonition and I think it turned out to be the PhysX drivers. If you run the PhysX installation file in the redist folder and choose repair, it will add the older version of PhysX that you need to run without crashing.

If I further recall correctly, I actually had the exact same problem with Mass Effect 2. Nvidia is apparently very spotty when it comes to making sure you keep legacy drivers for older titles.

Deques

What kind of game is Deadly Premonition?

Only six people beat SteamWorld Dig? I thought more would have beaten it

Arthea

It's basically Twin Peaks the game
we deserve
(><)
I think most beat it on Xbox360, that explains low activity, also PC port has problems and a lot of them, but it's still worth a try.

Sendou

Not sure if I'm going to participate with this game. I don't own it and I'm not sure if I should grow my backlog this time.

Good luck to everyone in any case!

It is hard to sum up Deadly Premonition. It has some very good moments - I love the weird atmosphere. But the combat. Oh the combat. To say I dreaded this is an understatement of epic proportions.

The game nearly reduced me to tears near the end. And not in a good way. I kept with it because of my stupid obsession with achievements back then. I would not do that again.

I like SteamWorld Dig but I sort of lost steam with it *boom boom* due to playing The Walking Dead Season 2. It is good in small bursts and I will try to finish it.

Awww, I already finished Deadly Premonition when it appeared on an Indie Gala Bundle. I don't care if the PC port is bad, the game is so incredible it was well worth playing anyways. Hands down my favorite Steam game I've beaten this year, although I guess it's not for everyone (I'm a huge SUDA51 fan, for reference).

Looking forward to the third game!

Parsnip

Coincidentally I started playing DP on PC like maybe a week ago.

At best, it's still very prone to crashes, so SAVE OFTEN. As often as you can in fact. If you see a phone, use it. Immediately.
The door opening animation is kind of long, but if you run and open a door, York will just bust through there fast.

Oh, if you play with a Dualshock, I made a DS4 type icon set that you can use with dpfix' texture override, if you want.

Wrapped in quote, click for fullsize.

It overrides the default 360 controller icons that were added with the patch that added controller support to the game. It doesn't override any of the keyboard icons, if you are still using those types of control solutions.
Download it and drop it in the tex_override folder of dpfix, and enable texture override from the dpfix.ini.
http://beerlake.net/dp-stuff/47549036.dds

If you want the custom font, here's a link for that as well.
http://beerlake.net/dp-stuff/1ee9a952.png

Nabs

edited: I was away for awhile, but I'm back now, let's do this!

edit2: could some mod kindly change the title to STEAMGAF | plays games - Deadly Premonition for us?

You may want to consider making new threads for each game.

I think I have DP all set up and ready to go. Should be fun. edit: Wait. This game is 15-20 hours long? Um. We'll see.

Arthea

yeah, nothing changed, I still can't play it, it crashes constantly.
If anybody has any suggestions, you are more than welcome to post some.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
You may want to consider making new threads for each game.

I think I have DP all set up and ready to go. Should be fun. edit: Wait. This game is 15-20 hours long? Um. We'll see.

Two weeks for this one.

Have you tried Servizio's tip:

If I remember correctly, I had the same problem with Deadly Premonition and I think it turned out to be the PhysX drivers. If you run the PhysX installation file in the redist folder and choose repair, it will add the older version of PhysX that you need to run without crashing.

If I further recall correctly, I actually had the exact same problem with Mass Effect 2. Nvidia is apparently very spotty when it comes to making sure you keep legacy drivers for older titles.

Parsnip

Repairing Physx installation allowed me to actually run the game, it didn't even get to the company logos if I didn't.
Other than running in win98 compatibility mode, there are no real fixes it seems.
I made my dp.exe large address aware as a stab in the dark, and it may have helped. Or it could be just placebo and I've been lucky.

From the thread that kind of turned into a dpfix thread.
The original state of the game was pretty bad, but things are better now. Read this to minimize the game's instability issues and maximize your enjoyment!

FIXES:

ENHANCEMENTS:

Top Bottom