• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will 2015 rival 1998,2001 and 2007 for best gaming year ever?

inevitably some stuff will be delayed but 2015 is just looking to be a killer year. from what I've seen it should be a year that really sells people on next gen. not as much focus on ports/remasters. some great next gen entries in popular series as well as new fresh IPs. I think it will be a defining year for the ps4 era, like 2001 was for ps2 and 2007 was for xbox360.

The Witcher 3, MGSV TPP (hopefully?), Halo 5 Guardians and Quantum Break - games I'm specifically looking forward to

Plus the ton of other stuff says yes, hopefully!

arekuso

That's exactly what I was thinking earlier today.

If everything go as planned, we'll see a loooot of new games from awesome IPs such as Zelda, The Witcher, FF, Uncharted, Halo, MGS, Persona, Tomb Raider... + exciting new IPS + exciting indie games for every console (but the vita).

I seriously can't wait.

Brofield

I sure hope to God so, if only for Nintendo's sake.

Zelda, Splatoon and StarFox, plus those rumours of a remaster a month. F-Zero GX HD would make any year a good year.

Plus I can't wait for Bloodborne. That I'm still hyped for.

Flarin

Bloodborne
Witcher 3
The Order: 1886
Mortal Kombat X
Arkham Knight
Persona 5
Uncharted 4
Halo 5
Zelda Wii U
Final Fantasy XV?

YUP.

Norns

Every year is the best year in gaming. I can always go back and play everything that's been released to that point.

It has the potential to be utterly amazing.

Bloodborne
Phantom Pain
Uncharted: A Thief's End
Zelda U
Starfox
Halo Guardians
Xenoblade
Rime
Below
The Witness
The Witcher 3
Captain Toad (I'm European)
Axiom Verge
Cuphead
Arkham Knight
The Tomorrow Children
Persona 5

And tons more. Damn.

JCX

OP forgot 2004.

If Xenoblade, FFXV, and (genre debatable) Bloodborne, and DQ Heroes launch globally, it could be a revival of tentpole RPGs. Tales/Persona/Pokemon have picked up the torch, but I still feel like we haven't had the big HD JRPG masterpiece yet, and the aforementioned could do it.

Percy

Banned
Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Xenoblade, Zelda (lol?) and Persona 5?

It sure as shit has a good shot at being one of the best.

I sure hope to God so, if only for Nintendo's sake.

Zelda, Splatoon and StarFox, plus those rumours of a remaster a month. F-Zero GX HD would make any year a good year.

Plus I can't wait for Bloodborne. That I'm still hyped for.

I see you said "rumour" but is that a typo about a remaster a month, as in every month?

impact

Banned
If Bloodborne, Silent Hills, Zelda U, Uncharted 4, Star Fox U, FF Type-0, X and The Division all deliver then it's no contest. Best gaming year of all time.

maxcriden

If Zelda comes out...man, even if it, we've got Mario Maker. Mario vs. DK. Kirby's Canvas Curse Sequel. Yoshi's Woolly World. Splatoon. Probably even more stuff we don't know about. So I'd say so, yes.

Now how can we even guess? We have seen very little of many of these games and played even less. And as you said, many of the 2015 games will inevitably be pushed to 2016. Any year has the potential to be one of the greatest years in gaming... It just all depends on how the games turn out. That being said, on paper, the release list does look damn good, and I would be shocked if it isn't the best current gen year thus far on all systems.

Bricky

People think that every year...

Not really. If a year is gonna be shitty it often gets really obvious really soon (like it did this year, for example), or at least way before the year ends.

2015 seems pretty amazing so far, and delays are unlikely since so many games already got delayed from this year. If you think about all the games that haven't even been announced yet, plus stuff like Oculus finally releasing CV1, it's going to be an extremely interesting year for games.

Damerman

You have MGSV, Witcher 3....i mean, you could stop right there and it would be better than the last 3 years. but then it goes on to P5, Xenoblad X, The Order, Arkahm Knight, Star Citizen, No Man's Sky, Evolve. Just a bunch of games that could be influential for years to come.

Pachimari

I'm thinking which games I'll get in 2015. It might be a huge year.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
Final Fantasy XV (possibly)
Persona 5
Tales of Zestiria
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Resident Evil REmake

Mortal Kombat X
Dead or Alive 5: Last Round
Tekken 7
The Legend of Zelda

Splatoon
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Fifa 16 / Pro Evolution Soccer 2016
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Kingdom Come
Star Citizen
No Man's Sky
Rime
Below
The Witness

Bolded are the ones I'm surely gonna get.

And I'm on a small budget next year!

BUT I don't think it'll rival those years. At least not 2001 and 1998.

Jb

It has the potential to be utterly amazing.

Bloodborne
Phantom Pain
Uncharted: A Thief's End
Zelda U
Starfox
Halo Guardians
Xenoblade
Rime
Below
The Witness
The Witcher 3
Captain Toad (I'm European)
Axiom Verge
Cuphead
Arkham Knight
The Tomorrow Children
Persona 5

And tons more. Damn.

This + Evolve, Quantum Break, No Man's Sky... Unless half of these get delayed it should be glorious.

Knox

This happens every year. Things get pushed into next year, everyone thinks that year is stacked, the things that were pushed back come out but at least half of everything else gets pushed, and the cycle begins a new.

2015 does seem pretty ballin' for Wii U and PS4.

3DS, Vita, and Xbone have literally nothing for me though (to differentiate between Wii U/PS4 at least). Hard to call it the best gaming year ever when there is jackshit on three consoles. Let's go, TGS.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I'm probably going to spend 3-4 grand next year on gaming... I'm sorry wallet, I'm so sorry.

Yes, it's gonna be in the Top 3 gaming years for sure:

The Order
Bloodborne
Persona 5
Uncharted 4
Zelda U
Xenoblade
MGS V
Witcher 3
Arkham Knight
Halo 5
Mortal Kombat X
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth
(not even talking about smaller stuff like The Tomorrow Children, SOMA, Rime, WiLD, Tearaway Unfolded, No Man's Sky etc)

Like majority of all gaming's big franchises have a sequel. 2016 could be even crazier with FF XV, Mass Effect 4, Star Wars, Fallout 4, Gears 4, Prey 2 and Doom 4

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I agree 2015 is going to be awesome year.

Halo 5 and Uncharted 4 are my top two.

Halo 5
Quantum Break
The Witcher 3
Arkham Knight
Bloodborne
Persona 5
Rainbow Six: Siege
Metal Gear Solid V
No Man's Sky
Zelda U
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Mortal Kombat X
Tekken 7
Below
Cuphead
Rime
The Tommorow Children

2015 is looking great.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
2015, if the games come like they are supposed to, is gonna be one of the greatest gaming years EVER.

I have a PS4 and a Wii U , and a PS3, and i'm not going to be able to move with the amount of games coming out throughout the year.

Dead or alive 5 last round

Bloodborne

Type 0 HD

Tales of Zestiria

Uncharted 4

Zelda Wii U

Persona 5

Arkham Knight

The Witcher 3

Tekken 7

Mortal Kombat X

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Rime

No Man's Sky

Resident Evil REmake

The Order

Ratchet and Clanks PS4

Dead Island 2

Doom

Horizon

Cyberpunk

Mad Max

HOLY SHIT

It's going to be a pretty damn good year that's for sure. Especially February. Bloodborne and Witcher 3 in one month... I won't know what to do with myself.

(Assuming Bloodborne will be a simultaneous worldwide release)

DizzyCrow

Splatoon
Zelda U
Xenoblade X
Arkhan Knight
Quantum Break
Fable Legends
Scalebound?
Cuphead
Devil's Third
The Witcher 3
Final Fantasy Explorers