• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will 2015 rival 1998,2001 and 2007 for best gaming year ever?

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
If Zelda U comes out then it will be for me. Everything else is just a bonus.

Feichaw

I thought that, after Destiny, we learned that we should always have our expectations in check.

I mean, all these games may be good in the end, but I think it's too early too judge them, or to fall into hype.

What am I saying? Xenoblade X, Zelda U, Persona 5, Batman, Halo...2015 will be soooo good.

In the AAA spectrum to beat 2007, 2015 needs to beat:

1) a Nintendo 1st party that beats Super Mario Galaxy
2) Something from Microsoft to beat Halo 3
3) A new IP from Sony that beats Uncharted's debut

some of the strongest debut for franchises are rebooted franchises ever

4) Call of Duty 4
5) The Orange Box
6) The witcher
7) Mass Effect
8) Bioshock
9) STALKER
10) Crysis
11) Rockband
12) God of War 2

UberTag

Doubtful. Expecting lots of delays and disappointments.
Only expecting a small handful of games to deliver on their potential.

However, 2015 will win regardless as I will be playing Trails in the Sky SC at some point during it.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
In the AAA spectrum to beat 2007, 2015 needs to beat:

1) a Nintendo 1st party that beats Super Mario Galaxy
2) Something from Microsoft to beat Halo 3
3) A new IP from Sony that beats Uncharted's debut

some of the strongest debut for franchises are rebooted franchises ever

4) Call of Duty 4
5) The Orange Box
6) The witcher
7) Mass Effect
8) Bioshock
9) STALKER
10) Crysis
11) Rockband
12) God of War 2

Nintendo might have Zelda and MSwill have Halo 5, Sony has Bloodbourne and UC4.

Too early to judge, never underestimate our ability to overestimate.

Having said that, FUCK 2007, most overrated year ever, if only because people keep lining it up next to the legendary 1998/2001 combo.

Persona 5
MGSV: TPP
The Order: 1885
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Batman Arkham Knight
The Witcher 3
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Final Fantasy Type-0
Quantum Break
Halo 5
Uncharted 4
Bloodborne
Zelda
Tales of Zestria
KH REmix 2.5
No Man Sky
Wild
Rime
Scalebound
Mirror's Edge
Until Dawn
And many many more. If nothing is delayed it will definetely be my favourite year ever in terms of games.

I see you said "rumour" but is that a typo about a remaster a month, as in every month?

I think he misinterpreted the rumor, It was Nintendo is working on a remaster for 2015 and plans to release atleast one title a month next year for WiiU, including that remaster. And looking at their current lineup its actually quite plausible to fill out that 1 game per month quota. But again its just a rumor.

Barring delays, 2015 will be a landmark year. IMO first quarter alone tops most of 2014.

OP is missing 2004 and 2011 as other big years.

LCGeek

formerly sane
The fact you left out 8bit or 16bit years which crapped on just about everything last generation sans and even 2007 is disappointing. 98 was good but 99 was better considering that certain big games of 98 had much better balance and counter strike beta appeared.

I think 2016 or 2017 is where this generation will shine. 2015 is next year and devs have a lot of catching up to do in terms of utilizing the power and being comfortable with it.

We can't really know until the year's over.
Also, you're forgetting 2011: Portal 2, Human Revolution, Skyrim, Mass Effect 2, L.A. Noire...that was a good year.

hemtae

If Torment stays late 2015 and Pillars of Eternity gets delayed to 2014 and they both deliver, it had a decent shot at it.

Phased

2014 was kinda uneventful, they'd have to actively try to go downhill from here.

Xenoblade alone should make it great though.

Tucah

you speak so well
Bloodbourne and Persona 5? Probably.

Really though, can't tell until the games are out. There are a ton of potentially amazing games but who knows if they'll deliver.

2014 was kinda uneventful, they'd have to actively try to go downhill from here.

Xenoblade alone should make it great though.

2014 isn't over. Lots of potentially good stuff to come, like Bayo 2 and Evil Within.

But man, 2015. So many games I forgot to mention, like No Man's Sky, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, SOMA, Titan Souls and many more.

And it's the year of The Last Guardian as well, ain't it GAF?

I'm thinking which games I'll get in 2015. It might be a huge year.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
Final Fantasy XV (possibly)
Bloodborne
Persona 5
Ratchet and Clank PS4
Tales of Zestiria
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Resident Evil REmake

Mortal Kombat X
Dead or Alive 5: Last Round
Tekken 7
The Legend of Zelda

Splatoon
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Fifa 16 / Pro Evolution Soccer 2016
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Kingdom Come
Star Citizen
No Man's Sky
Rime
Below
The Witness

Bolded are the ones I'm surely gonna get.

And I'm on a small budget next year!

BUT I don't think it'll rival those years. At least not 2001 and 1998.

+

tumblr_mhlopyJWZE1qdqlkxo2_500.gif

and its a sealed deal for me

Greatest video gaming year ever.

It definitely has the potential to. There's so many fun looking games coming out; my wallet's going to be hurting next year, that's for sure.

sappyday

My favorite series are seeing releases next year.

1. Bloodborne (not a series but a spiritual successor to my favorite series of all time)
2. Persona 5
3. MGS V
4. Final Fantasy XV (looks like there is a chance)

Plus you have
The Witcher 3
Uncharted 4
Zelda U
Type-0
Until Dawn
Arkham Knight

Fallout 4 also has a possibility.

Bloodborne
Witcher 3
The Order: 1886
Mortal Kombat X
Arkham Knight
Persona 5
Uncharted 4
Halo 5
Zelda Wii U
Final Fantasy XV?

YUP.

Forgot some stuff
Splatoon
Xenoblade Chronicles X (Xenocross Chronicles)
Bunch of others I'm also forgetting

If Final Fantasy gets in, we're good

Teeth

Just like with every year, there are going to be what seem like sure shots that end up being massively disappointing.

I remember tons of hype/list wars including Watch Dogs, Destiny, Titanfall, Bioshock Infinite, Brink, Colonial Marines, Brutal Legend, Dark Souls 2, Mass Effect 3, Civ 5, etc. etc.

While many of those games were enjoyed by people, they all suffered either a massive backlash or disappointment by devoted fans. Even The Witcher 2 disappointed large swaths of its fandom.

Take any list of things you think are going to be amazing and cut it in half, those you will enjoy. Out of that half, cut it in half again to find the ones that won't disappoint you in some way.

I'm expecting a lot of the games mentioned here to get pushed back to 2016 (Persona 5, Zelda U, and Uncharted 4 being big ones).
Persona 5 was originally supposed to be this holiday if I'm not mistaken. I'd be surprised to see it in 2016 especially after the bang up job Atlus did with getting SMTIV turned around (
to NA lol
).

Zelda and Uncharted I would not be surprised.

Top Bottom