• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV is about 50-60% complete - Tabata

Exentryk

EDIT from Kotaku -
Currently, Final Fantasy XV is 55 percent completed. That number, however, is misleading. That isn't 55 percent after eight years worth of work. This is 55 percent during the two years Tabata has joined the project. It's something that Square Enix want to be very clear.

--

On FF XV’s Progress:
In terms of development, about 50 to 60 percent of the game is complete. We kind of started from the beginning of the game, so the first part is more complete than the others.

On The Open World:
Not literally everything is open world, but it is pretty vast, and you will be able to freely explore. You may have noticed that they’re traveling in a car. You can technically walk around the world, but we recommend using a vehicle, and it’ll be a journey driving through the continent.

On The Final Fantasy Icons:
In creating a new game, if you throw in familiar elements just to please the fans, it gives an impression that we’re very shallow. I’m very careful that. With each element of a familiar Final Fantasy icon that I include, I have to think about how it applies to the setting of the particular Final Fantasy numbered title, and make sure that it’s there because it’s necessary. In Episode Duscae, there is a sort of surprise element incorporated toward the end.

On Release Dates:
During the “Versus era” – though it might be weird to refer to it that way – we weren’t able to reveal any information on release timing because that was a project in which we had to overcome so many different problems that arose. Unfortunately, while we were trying to work through the issues, the timing never matched. But about two years ago, when I officially joined the project, we did a pretty major directional change when we decided not to go with the previous generation. I also had to talk with Nomura-san about the direction FF XV is going to take. Unfortunately, it’s still going to take a while, but I’m hoping people will reset their timers from when I joined the team and restart the count from there.

On Fan Reaction To XV:
We can’t gauge very well quite yet. Now that we have decided to put out a demo version, I’m hoping that the fans will come back to us with their input and feed us the passion that everybody has and let us know how they feel about the game.

Full interview here - Gameinformer

Lock if too many XV threads.

Kraftwerk

G9ZfNzWl.jpg

Almost there my ass....

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How do you spend 9 years on a game and only have 60% done? Holy shit. It's not even like Duke Nukem changing hands/companies.

Mr. RPG

On The Final Fantasy Icons:
In creating a new game, if you throw in familiar elements just to please the fans, it gives an impression that we’re very shallow. I’m very careful that. With each element of a familiar Final Fantasy icon that I include, I have to think about how it applies to the setting of the particular Final Fantasy numbered title, and make sure that it’s there because it’s necessary. In Episode Duscae, there is a sort of surprise element incorporated toward the end.
Really? Square-Enix were fine about doing it with XIV... Please keep Lightning away from XV.

50-60% complete... we definitely won't be seeing this game next year. I'd say 2016 is a good estimate though.

Eusis

On The Open World:
Not literally everything is open world, but it is pretty vast, and you will be able to freely explore. You may have noticed that they’re traveling in a car. You can technically walk around the world, but we recommend using a vehicle, and it’ll be a journey driving through the continent.
Phew, I guess it really IS the anti-FFXIII. Which probably made the versus bit all the more fitting, but a bit late for that now, even if it wasn't going to be FFXV it'd name a different name as it seems a little untimely to have a counter game 5 or more years later.

... And that's definitely making me warmer on how the game will turn out, whether it's what I really want out of FF it'll probably still be more of what I want out of an RPG period, if not from gaming entirely. And I hope that vehicle meant a manually controllable airship, or aircraft of some sort. Probably would be more practical if it were more like a jet than a blimp or airliner.
50-60% complete... so optimistically... 2019?
I'll just pretend everything before the last two years amounted to like 5-10% at best. So... 2016, probably. Maybe we'll be lucky and that last half goes way faster and we'll see it late 2015.

Subaru

But about two years ago, when I officially joined the project, we did a pretty major directional change when we decided not to go with the previous generation. I also had to talk with Nomura-san about the direction FF XV is going to take.

I'm wondering when exactly Nomura jumped out of FFXV.

How do you spend 9 years on a game and only have 60% done? Holy shit. It's not even like Duke Nukem changing hands/companies.

It's because they keep changing everyone's goddamn clothes/hair. They should cease all projects and just put the entire company on the game for the next 6 months Jesus. Oh wait, you'd have to actually know how to manage people to do that. Nvm....

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
This does remind me, does anyone have any insight into the Japanese Software Development model? I see tons of Japanese Companies able to give a "X% Complete" stat over the years, but how do they calculate the percentage? The current milestone they are on, the amount of tasks they have completed, do they just use a waterfall model and say which phase they are on?

Zabuza

Banned
What the fuck?! After this week's news I thought it'd be more like 70-80%.

Come on Square, 2016 is farrrrr away don't make us wait that long.

Oh wait, you will.

But about two years ago, when I officially joined the project, we did a pretty major directional change when we decided not to go with the previous generation
Wait a sec, so Tabata was already the director when the game got re-revealed last year?

SerTapTap

That's...terrifying, but I guess it depends how you define "complete". I'm hoping they mean "50% production ready assets" and stuff...I would assume the story and such are long since done.

Tabata did ask the fans to take 2012 as the starting point of development and not 2014.

Also sounded like he threw Nomura under the bus. Lol.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's because they keep changing everyone's goddamn clothes/hair.

It's why I'll never understand peoples passion for Nomura. He has got to be one of the worst 'team leaders' in the history of developing games. Just keep him on as an advisor and put someone in there who knows what deadlines are and that your company can't just keep funding your indefinite development cycle, so you can keep going to Fashion shows.

I mean shit, Nagoshi goes to fashion shows and he pops out Yakuzas like they're nothing.

Shojx

Well hopefully with 50-60% done and the directional changes they've made, they have a better, clearer image of what they're doing with it now, so the other 40-50% won't take as long.

But if this percent is accurate, I don't really think we'll see it released in 2015 anymore, a belief I was ignorantly and stubbornly holding onto. I guess you never know, but 2016 is starting to seem more likely.

Top Bottom