• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV is about 50-60% complete - Tabata

sappyday

Definitely early 2016 here in the west. If everything goes smoothly the probably late 2015.

Edit: but of course everyone wants to harp on its development issues when it's clear they've overcome the worst already and are putting all their focus on it.

Reveirg

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought the OP was about the Kotaku article. But yeah, this part is important:

That isn't 55 percent after eight years worth of work. This is 55 percent during the two years Tabata has joined the project. It's something that Square Enix want to be very clear.

~50% done with the director of the project leaving doesn't sound too good. Hopefully, if we're lucky it'll be similar to MGSV with the demo coming in mid March and then the game coming the next year.

Eusis

Gotta give Tabata's time to right Nomura's crazy ship.

He's got a lot of work ahead of him.
Wouldn't be surprised if in reality that's what he's been doing the last year or so. KH3 got announced last E3, they had to have realized they couldn't keep him on XV anymore and he just had to wrap up some of the creative elements he was involved in or whatever the hell.

they never take fan feedback seriously.

i think the people who read the english comments go on and basically filter out those who talk negatively about their games and then cherry-pick the comments to present to the japanese dev team.

on topic, i want to know what went on the "directorial change" tabata is talking about.

clearly, this game was in the back burner and they gave toriyama the priority for some reason. now that they're focusing on this game we now even have a demo.

then again, i'd rather have this on ps4 than lightning ff13 in the scenario that they focused on ffversus first over ff13.

Reveirg

Sounds like Nomura hasn't been really in charged for quite a while. He probably stayed on for Tabata's transition period, to ensure some of his original vision was maintained.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I never understand Japanese developers' percentage estimates that so regularly pop up. They really need to contextualize what they mean more.

That 50% happened in the two years he's been with the project. He's asking us to basically reset our assumptions of the length of development, because it never started in earnest until 2012, according to him.

minty_jpg

Seriously, what other games are they working on that 2015 wouldn't be possible? Dragon Quest XI? Maybe that's Level 5 again. Kingdom Hearts 3? Haven't they already said that this project won't see much focus until after FF15, and Nomura being put on it now probably means it's in the very early stages.

What else that's big and HD are they working on that we know about?

Septimus

Tabata said:
Unfortunately, it’s still going to take a while, but I’m hoping people will reset their timers from when I joined the team and restart the count from there.

Jesus, what an asshole thing to say. Holy fuck.

bigmac996

Chiming in as one of the two optimistic people on this game. I think it'll be out by Fall 2015. Tabata will deliver.

I'm with ya. They (as far as I can recall) have never released an FF demo more than a year before the game released, so I'm optimistic. Maybe more like early 2016.

HeelPower

Game development officially started in 2012.

I hope they make sure the game comes out in the best possible state and don't rush it.A 2015 release will likely be rushed unfortunately.

So yeah its tough to swallow, but ,based on what they showed, the wait will absolutely be worth it.

A simultaneous 2016 of a great game is better than a 2015 release of a rushed game that needed extra time.

Again it started in 2012.People need to rule out 2006->2011 era.

This does remind me, does anyone have any insight into the Japanese Software Development model? I see tons of Japanese Companies able to give a "X% Complete" stat over the years, but how do they calculate the percentage? The current milestone they are on, the amount of tasks they have completed, do they just use a waterfall model and say which phase they are on?

It's different depending on which studios you talk about, which is why freaking out over the percentage doesn't make sense. Just as a few example, Ys (PS4/Vita) it due out next year but it's only 30% complete right now while Type-HD is due out in March and it's currently 80% complete,

sappyday

That 50% happened in the two years he's been with the project. He's asking us to basically reset our assumptions of the length of development, because it never started in earnest until 2012, according to him.
It's better to just say to forget all about Versus XIII and not focus on it's vaporware history. This is Final Fantasy XV and it was announced only a year ago.

Kraftwerk

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought the OP was about the Kotaku article. But yeah, this part is important:

Everyone needs to read this: http://kotaku.com/the-man-who-saved-final-fantasy-xv-1637142585

The game wasn't going anywhere until Tabata took over and now it's going full steam ahead.

Even with those quotes I have no hope of this game coming out in the next two years. God knows what could happen tomorrow in that fuckup of a company.

I really, really hope that I am completely wrong and I am playing FFXV next year. Just don't see it happening.

Slowdive

Banned
Hmm so probably not out in Japan in 2015 like I thought. Though last month Tabata said Type-0 HD is 80% complete and hoped it'd be out by August next year, and it's coming in March which is way earlier than I thought.

minty_jpg

I'm with ya. They (as far as I can recall) have never released an FF demo more than a year before the game released, so I'm optimistic. Maybe more like early 2016.

My brother!!!

Personally early 2016 is cool with me too, and more likely since they'd probably like to avoid the Fall gaming staples (Ass Creed, CoD, whatever other Ubi game).

I have way too other games to play anyway.

By the time they get close to completing this game, we might be into the next generation of consoles, so it will ended up getting ported over to PS5 and Xbox Two. Honestly, if they work really hard, we might see it in Late 2016 in Japan.

MormaPope

Banned
Seems like Konami/Kojima came out on top when it comes to creating a AAA title with a newly created engine. Yeah, MGSV took a while, but when it comes to AAA Japanese development its just as ambitious as FFXV. Hell, they're both "open world" games in a sense, and I'd bet Kojima will utilize vast space more than Tabata and his team.

If RE7 is open world in design, god help us, we wont see it until 2018 or 2019.

Rinoa

G9ZfNzWl.jpg

Almost there my ass....

tumblr_inline_mqxjwb1I8A1qz4rgp.gif

Seriously though, I wonder if the final product will feel something like how FF12's development went.

Mr. RHC

At this rate, screw it!
Release this game in episodes like the Walking Dead.

I can't wait any longer. Getting too old for this bullsh!t.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Weren't they hiring? What do the 50% include?
Pretty hard to judge any timeframe just by that arbitrary figure.

Rpgmonkey

They (Tabata?) sorta come across as more confident about what kind of game they're making and where they want it to go. They had ideas and concepts set up before of course, but I was never really convinced that they knew how to bring it all together. The game sorta feels like it's almost within my grasp now...kinda.

So the past couple of days regarding this game have been great, even if it's possible that this is the result of someone a year or two ago saying "screw it, bring these guys onto the project, start working on putting together something coherent with the basic ideas, and get this done already".

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Everyone needs to read this: http://kotaku.com/the-man-who-saved-final-fantasy-xv-1637142585

The game wasn't going anywhere until Tabata took over and now it's going full steam ahead.
Six years of pre-production, target renders, and tech demos seemed like a huge waste of time besides getting the aesthetic..hopefully this new director delivers something special or it'll all be for naught. Two years of full production and they already are halfway done.

Top Bottom