• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play ported on all Android 4.0+ devices [requires rooted phone]

DieH@rd

Banned
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/sony-ps4-remote-play-ported/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/4-4-4-stock-xperia-devices-ps4-remote-t2868092

As expected, someone on XDA has ported Remote Play functionality from Xperia Z3 line to other android phones. Procedure for installing is short, and will be easy for everyone who has ever installed custom rom before [installing of small patch via CRM, deleting caches, installing of app]. Setting up Dualshock compatibility for all phones requires installation of one additional app. RP on android DEMANDS presence of gamepad.

Notice for those who always apppear and are suprised: YES, remote play works great both at home and over the internet [if your home router is not having problems with few ports]. You can play your PS4 games from 1km, 10km, few hundred km away, and even from around the world. Lag is small, acceptable for many games [LTE hotstpots are usable but introduce more lag], and many gaffers use this type of of RP on daily basis to play PS4 games while on work :D

edit - Apparently, Remote Play feature for Android will be made available by Sony in November. App can be installed on all androids and PS4 can be detected, but streaming is not yet available.

DieH@rd

Banned
I thought they said remote play with android would only work on the same wifi network?

lol, they never said that. Even PS3>PSP remote play worked over internet [badly, but it worked].

Remote Play was always for both home and internet, but less people know for "over internet" part.

Sony need to get this on everything.

Same with PSN now.

Just make a general Android / iOS app. If I can connect a dualshock to it, I want to be able to play PlayStation's streaming games on it.

lol, they never said that. Even PS3>PSP remote play worked over internet [badly, but it worked].

Remote Play was always for both home and internet, but less people know for "over internet" part.
I definitely remember Xperia remote play being said to only work over home WiFi.

Alpha_eX

I've got a Z3 Compact on the way and heard numerous times that Remote Play only worked on the same WiFi network as the console. Really happy if that's not the case and I can play it on a toilet in a hotel a thousand miles away.

ZeroX03

Banned
After Shield's remote play got ported, I knew this was coming too.

Time to bust out the Note 3 and Xiaomi Pad and have some fun.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Wow - MegaTon right here. Will need to try it on my Tablet.

Sony need to get this on everything.

Same with PSN now.

Just make a general Android / iOS app. If I can connect a dualshock to it, I want to be able to play PlayStation's streaming games on it.

No kidding. They said they wanted to be a services company more so than a hardware company and yet they are making features like this proprietary. Whatever customers buying Xperia phones for this feature are available pails in comparison to people who own RP capable phones who would could buy a PS4 for this.

Not to mention the people buying PS4s are probably tech savy enough to root

tensuke

What WHAT. Definitely gonna try this tomorrow when I get back to my DS4. On my Nexus 4 and Touchpad, though I expect it'll be a bit nicer on a bigger screen. Oh shit, this would be amazing on the Fire TV. Too bad there's no custom recovery for it yet.

Edit: As I understand it, Sony hasn't released the Remote Play app yet, this just enables the PlayStation app to access the RP app as if it were on a Z3. So, this won't really do anything until November when RP is released.

nibblemonkey

Neo Member
Can you use a DS4 on the go with remote play, so your phone just acts as a monitor?

I think you might have to play it with a DS4 but I'm not 100% sure about that, you do need to install an extra app to connect the DS4 but that's mentioned on the XDA Thread.

if it works well it would get me to buy a nexus 7 (is that the most current one)?

Yes although I believe HTC are bringing out the next Nexus tablet, but the current model (2013) is still pretty good, I believe if you're with o2 you can get it for about £130 at the moment too via the Priority moments app.

nubbe

This should be on every phone, it is a service that is convenient and great for PS4 owners

It won't sell phones.

Yup, Sony should just enable this for every Android phone. It would be great.

Remote play helps their mobiles sales. If they make it work on every mobile then they will lose unique feature. I think this will be patched soon by Sony as this is not providing any money to them and they will lose sales.

Mooreberg

Going to try this later in the week on my rooted Galaxy S4. Do you get 1080p or is it limited to Vita resolution? I love XDA. :)

kiguel182

Remote play helps their mobiles sales. If they make it work on every mobile then they will lose unique feature. I think this will be patched soon by Sony as this is not providing any money to them and they will lose sales.

Remote Play didn't save the Vita so I doubt it'll save their mobile devision. They could instead provide a service to those that bought a PS4 and are already their clients.

Keys

In the xda thread people are saying that you need the PS Remote Play App for this to work and that will be released in november, so I don't think you can use this now.

c0de

Notice for those who always apppear and are suprised: YES, remote play works great both at home and over the internet [if your home router is not having problems with few ports].

But there are way more potential trip hazards:

- People who use "your" internet while you try to use it (congestion, higher latency, worse bandwidth)
- Generally the quality of your internet access
- the quality of the connection you are currently logged in (3g of course the worst, hotel wifi)
and so on. Things you can't really change but that influence the experience of remote play.

So, sure it works but it relies on many factors to be a "good" experience.

I didn't read the press release, but media outlets definitely reported that RP on Mobile works ONLY over the same network, and not over the Internet like the VITA can. They've certainly been wrong before.

I definitely remember Xperia remote play being said to only work over home WiFi.

Yeah they basically presented it on the Xperia as being a local wifi thing, probably to cover themselves from complaints on bad internet connections, but it does work elsewhere... at least I think it will.

DJKhaled

i hope someone ports this to jailbroken iphones/ipads.

I really want an Android phone, only reason I stick with iPhones is there are some apps that I like that aren't on android.

Oberon

Banned
It's seems nice to have the option, but isn't the biggest selling point for Vita that it was an "accessory" fir the Ps4?(at least that's how Sony seems to "marketing" it)
It's seems like they're testing the water for PSnow.

Top Bottom