• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black-ish S1 |OT| This might be good-ish. Wednesdays 9:30/7:30c

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_nbhek1z5rr1stpcodo1_1280.jpg

Premise
Black-ish (styled black-ish[1] or `black·ish) is an upcoming American comedy series starring Anthony Anderson and Tracee Ellis Ross, that is expected to debut on ABC during the 2014–15 television season. The single-camera comedy centers on a middle-class African-American family. The series is scheduled to air on Wednesdays at 9:30 p.m., starting September 24, 2014.
Cast
Anthony Anderson as Andre 'Dre' Johnson
Tracee Ellis Ross as Rainbow Johnson
Yara Shahidi as Zoey Johnson
Marcus Scribner as Andre Johnson, Jr.
Miles Brown as Jack Johnson
David Arvesen as BC
Marsai Martin as Diane Johnson

Mesousa

Banned
That anthony Anderson complexion color joke didn't really work when Anthony Anderson is nearly as light as her.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
how the fuck does Lawrence Fishburne not get first billing...or any billing in fact, if not for that banner you wouldnt know he was on the show o_O

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm laughing since the points being brought up in the show are very accurate but bringing up race every 30 seconds in a 30 minute show just seems very overboard.

Mixed feelings.

I'm laughing since the points being brought up in the show are very accurate but bringing up race every 30 seconds in a 30 minute show just seems very overboard.

Mixed feelings.
It's a comedy pilot. Its got a lot to cover.
I'm hoping they might be able to taverage it out a bit.

blakep267

Lol no it isn't.

Old black folks think it though, which is why it was a great written line.

Im not gonna single out africans only. I see a lot of not hatred per se, but looking down upon african americans from from foreigners in general Ill say, who come to the US

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Really solid pilot. The characters/actors were likable, I laughed plenty of times throughout, and the message was handled fairly well toward the end.

Just need to see how they juggle this kind of material on a weekly basis. Definitely seeing the potential, though.

DominoKid

hope the ratings hold up well.

Black-ish had 10.8 million viewers and a 3.3 rating among adults 18-49 at 9:30 p.m. The big mitigating factor here is the size of its lead-in from Modern Family (10.9 million and a 3.7) — last year’s Super Fun Night, for instance, opened to a 3.2 in this slot and quickly faded. Yet ABC points out Black-ish had the highest retention of Modern Family viewers for a regular comedy debut in this slot ever.

I liked it, I'd watch it again. Hopefully it finds a market. Though its pilot targeted a very specific black audience in upper class white america.

Not that only this group can appreciate the humor over the course of a season but judging by the comments so far its hook of being kinda black sounds like that style of racial jokes will get old fast, episode after episode.

New episode tonight:

The Talk

Dre, disappointed that Bow has already given Andre Jr. “the talk” because she thinks he’s too big of a prude to do it, decides to rectify matters by giving his son HIS version of “the talk.” But Dre soon finds himself wishing he’d left well enough alone when Andre Jr. starts to drive him crazy with non-stop questions about sex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom