• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...can you not buy Nintendo e shop cards from Amazon?

SeanR1221

I traded in my iPhone 5 to Amazon and got a pretty nice gift card. Not knowing what to do with it I figured I'd stock up on eshop points.

I was surprised to see that it's all sold through 3rd party sellers and higher than retail :/

What gives? I'd rather have digital versions of games over physical.

JB2448

Amazon.com (specifically in the US) has a touchy relationship with Nintendo. They don't directly sell and ship Nintendo's consoles, either. Everyone, especially the consumer, suffers.

I never bought any cards, so you definetly can not buy cards.

Now, if you're asking if one cannot buy cards, then I can't help you.

maxcriden

Amazon.com (specifically in the US) has a touchy-feely relationship with Nintendo. They don't directly sell and ship Nintendo's consoles, either. Everyone, especially the consumer, suffers.

It's really bizarre that this is still happening. It can't be good for either of them at this point. Does anyone know the backstory behind this animosity?

NeoRausch

Nope and it's stupid.
I buy my PSN cards mostly at Amazon. It's almost instant, convenient and secure.
For the WiiU I have to buy a card in a store or use my credit card.

Bullza2o

It's really bizarre that this is still happening. It can't be good for either of them at this point. Does anyone know the backstory behind this animosity?
I think it started during the 3DS launch when many consumers were returning their systems due to the hinge iirc.

But yeah as a Nintendo gamer it sucks when I get Amazon gift cards and not being able to get eshop cards. Good thing their retail copies are cheap enough.

sangreal

Amazon.com (specifically in the US) has a touchy-feely relationship with Nintendo. They don't directly sell and ship Nintendo's consoles, either. Everyone, especially the consumer, suffers.

That doesn't mean what you think it means. They have a touchy relationship

I never bought any cards, so you definetly can not buy cards.

Now, if you're asking if one cannot buy cards, then I can't help you.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/one-versus-you

CDX

You can't really buy Nintendo hardware (and I guess eshop cards) directly sold from Amazon.com. Nobody really knows exactly why.

NoA and Amazon.com (US) don't seem to get along very well

NoA and Amazon.ca (Canada) seem to have a better relationship.

Yeah, sorry about that. Don't know why I typed it like that, my mistake.

But yeah, other than this old Kotaku article about the issue, there's really not too much to go on as to why Nintendo systems aren't stocked on Amazon.

yep and that old Kotaku article from 2012 seems to be the only thing in the press about this issue.

Shun

I mean you could buy Gamestop gift cards with your Amazon credit and use those for eShop cards...

I recommend buying eShop and PSN cards through Best Buy.

Through BB, I get rewards gift cards back and sometimes BB will do a 20% off sale.

What was wrong with the hinge? I have an OG 3DS but not a launch one (purchased 12/2011 I believe).

Amazon were accepting returns from people with systems that were completely fine because the hinges aren't ridged and then expected Nintendo to pick up the bill

ricki42

Through BB, I get rewards gift cards back and sometimes BB will do a 20% off sale.

PSN cards are actually easier through Amazon since you just get the code while BB will send you an actual card. I only get those from BB for the rewards when I'm there anyway or I actually planned ahead that I would need one.
But eshop cards I get from Best Buy as well. Also, Steam wallet cards. $20 card is $28 via Amazon third party seller, it's even worse than eshop.

Alphahawk

I would recomend buying a point card to something like Itunes that's equal to the amount of money you have and sell it to your friend.

Warning make sure your friend is willing to do this before you buy the card.

Be careful!

You cannot buy gift cards with gift card credits on Amazon. They do it because of credit card fraud.

As for Nintendo, they don't like US Amazon at all, you have a hard time even buying games or consoles and this has been going on for a few years. Sorry OP.

Kiyo

I doubt Amazon really cares. The profit margins on consoles and digital points aren't that high, and they still get a cut of the ones that are sold via their marketplace.

I think the last thing I read about this was that Amazon wanted a Walmart type deal with Nintendo and Nintendo wouldn't give it to them.

SmokeMaxX

They're only sold at a markup by assholes, Amazon themselves does not stock them. Buy something else.
They're not sold at a markup because sellers are assholes. They're sold at a markup because Amazon charges a shitload in fees so that $20 card you're buying may cost $4 in fees to the seller.
Nope and it's stupid.
I buy my PSN cards mostly at Amazon. It's almost instant, convenient and secure.
For the WiiU I have to buy a card in a store or use my credit card.
You can buy from people in GAF's Buy/Sell/Trade thread if you're more comfortable using Paypal than your credit card or going to the store. A lot of us sell codes digitally at either no markup or sometimes, at a discount.
Man this sucks.

What am I gonna do with this gift card!!!!
My recommendation is to find things that people want from Amazon and see if you can buy it for them and they'll pay you in cash.
I mean you could buy Gamestop gift cards with your Amazon credit and use those for eShop cards...
Op you can always buy a bunch of Gamestop cards off Amazon and then take those to get eShop cards.
Can't buy gift cards with Amazon credit. At least not any that isn't marked up.

Best Buy is a good place to get eShop credit, but the 20% off sale for eShop credit is rare. The last one was in February and I don't expect to see another one soon (although who knows- they may have one for Smash WiiU).

I would recomend buying a point card to something like Itunes that's equal to the amount of money you have and sell it to your friend.

Warning make sure your friend is willing to do this before you buy the card.
Yeah you can do this. I think doing it with PSN credit is the easiest.

Top Bottom