• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR: There Will Be No Downgrade For The Witcher 3

Anarkin

It's from the Community Manager Marcin Momot:

Please keep in mind that the game is still in production phase. Certain things are still being worked on. The final version of the game will look better than what can be seen in the latest screenshots – no matter the platform. As you probably know, when publishing screenshots, some of them can be subjectively less appealing than others (depending on one’s opinion), that’s perfectly normal. The most important thing here is that the game will come out looking gorgeous when we are done working on it. There will be no downgrade.

http://www.worldsfactory.net/2014/10/06/cd-projekt-no-downgrade-the-witcher-3?PageSpeed=noscript

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Who the fuck is worldsfactory? i feel like this is another bullshit site like kdrama stars.

Funny that they have to clarify such thing. I don't know where people pulled this whole binary concept downgrade? yes/no from. It's kind of same as with "next-gen".

I'm sure it will look great.

Only just finished witcher 2 and looking forward to this. Just started reading the books because there are 2 issues I have with the witcher games. The combat is not that great (but that's not why I'm playing a witcher game anyway) and the story assumes you have read the books so can be hard to piece together or have real understanding of bigger issues if you haven't.

So I will hopefully not have this problem with 3. About 15% through the last wish and its awesome so far.

Sentenza

Not that it was a major concern for me in the first place, but I can't really say I find some generic PR from a community manager particularly reassuring.
I mean... What was he supposed to say?

Kezen

Banned
We will see come release. I'm not worried about the PC version with all the work they've done with Nvidia.

I'm running an i5 and an AMD 7850 in my rig, so I'm thinking that I'll end up getting this for PS4. I'm just waiting to see how the releases pan out to decide...

What.

The pics they released in the last few years didn't look amazing if you focused a little closer

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132781172&postcount=497

And with the latest screenshots, I don't believe there is a downgrade, people are just now putting their attention to the low detail distance, the hair models, the fur on the wolves etc.

i-Lo

Well how can we ever know if the console version will get downgraded or not since we haven't seen anything substantial aside from narrow vertical slice on xbone. Who knows how they'll deal w/ PS4, the platform they aren't the most keen on but have stated that 1080p is comparatively easier to reach.

In the end, if it ends up looking anywhere nearly as good as Watch Dogs on PS4, I'll consider my preordering of the game paying off.

low-G

"he final version of the game will look better than what can be seen in the latest screenshots"

Uh... oh...

At least they're setting the bar low.

But for real, those latest screens aren't like the older screens.

The pics they released in the last few years didn't look amazing if you focused a little closer

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132781172&postcount=497

And with the latest screenshots, I don't believe there is a downgrade, people are just now putting their attention to the low detail distance, the hair models, the fur on the wolves etc.
I can't believe there are people that thinks that looks "bad". Mess.

Nothing this gen is going to look like a 2013 Pixar movie.

Artadius

PC version is going to be

2pbwL6m.gif

When I saw the live gameplay demonstration at Gamescom, I saw a shed load of imperfections that weren't an issue but lead me to believe that this game will run just fine and look exactly as it's been marketed. With a toning down of certain effects and framerate (maybe res too on XB1), it should look very close on consoles too.

The game is visually stunning but its not sitting at the impossibly high heights some gamers seem to think its reached.

Daverid

That's nice. How will it look on console?

Go watch the Griffin Hunt Demo from Microsoft's E3 Conference.

Edit: Yea the stream footage quality is pretty shite, but you can still fairly easily see through that at where the game is sitting graphically.

scitek

Lunar15

I think this game is going to look just fine, even if it doesn't meet the lofty expectations they themselves set.

I've always assumed that pre-launch trailers and demos are touched up or enhanced to make them look better than is possible in the full game. When i'm proven wrong, it's a pleasant surprise. When I'm proven right, it's something I've come to terms with.

longdi

Banned
With the unlimited powers of a PC, i dont fear the graphics. What about the seamless open world aspects? CDPR promised us we can ride our horse into a city and mingle with its hundreds of inhabitants, each one with their own schedule? How many such cities can i expect in TW3? Sounds too good to be true, a RPG fan wet dreams if so...

Zarx

I can't believe there are people that thinks that looks "bad". Mess.

Nothing this gen is going to look like a 2013 Pixar movie.

Not bad no, just not best graphics ever level which some people seem to be expecting. Some people seem to think that it would rival games like Ryse for some reason. Considering the scope, complexity and scale that they are promising with TW3 it's super impressive how good it looks, especially in motion. And it compares very favorably to games like DA: I and Shadow of Mordor while also being way more impressive in terms of scope and ambition. A few rough edges are to be expected in a game like this.

Sure this
has some rough looking elements especially in the distance, but if we compare it to similar scenes in other games like
or this
I would say it looks pretty damn good all things considered. People just need to get it out of their heads that CDPR will pull out some magic and make a massive open world RPG that looks comparable to AAA linear action games. And they have a few months of polish to go yet.

The final version of the game will look better than what can be seen in the latest screenshots – no matter the platform.

i should hope so. bar's been raised, people are expecting scenes like the above gifs to look as such on ps4 and x1.

jesus fuck what is that mordor screenshot...the game does not look like that.

I get what he's saying.

CDPR decided to start off with low enough specs that would run across the board. So they started off allowing themselves less power to work with. THIS MEANS YES THE GAME COULD BE EVEN PRETTIER. They are not trying to be the greatest graphical game of all-time. They are trying to be the best looking game across 3 systems with no downgrades :O

The thing is, CD projekt Red can make this decision to nerf the entire game's graphics, because, look at how masterful they are with the same amount of resources other developers have. (Witcher 2 Xbox 360 was undisputed proof of this). Simply masterful technical/artistic achievement. Bravo CDPR, masters of graphical limitations

...am I taking crazy pills here?

You see, if you look close enough, there is low-poly branch in screenshot #34, a low poly shoe in the left corner of screenshot #12, a lack of grass in the distant valley in screenshot #88, far away trees with low LoD in screenshot #53 and non-advanced fur hair in screenshots #3 and #21!

Come on bishoptl, you would have to be blind to not see it!

comic-book-guy-shrugs.jpg

Top Bottom